• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I still still think that having Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Vaati would be the best way to go. It would best finish off the Zelda characters and Vaati is one of the most unique characters to have.

?????????????

Smash Master
I still still think that having Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Vaati would be the best way to go. It would best finish off the Zelda characters and Vaati is one of the most unique characters to have.
I gotta disagree with Vaati. I fail to see how he is any more significant OR unique than other villains.

Yes, he may be "one of" the most unique new Zelda choices, but that is "one of" many potential Zelda newcomers, so of the many Zelda newcomers that could be unique, I don't see why Vaati is any more likely than characters who are seen more often (Tetra and Tingle) or characters that are currently more in the public eye (Ghirahim).

Not that'd he be a bad character or anything. I don't mean to come off as hostile, maybe it's a blend of being sick (not feeling well) and general curiosity on how Vaati even stands a chance. He seems so far down the line to me that I wouldn't even put him in consideration.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Question for everyone. How would you guys classify each Smash character into an archetype? Archetypes that fit into fighting games.

Meaning

Mario: All around
Donkey: Heavyweight grappler
Link: Weapon-based
Etc

Reason I ask is that many fighting games has characters that fit into archetypes. What archetypes might we be missing.

?????????????

Smash Master
Question for everyone. How would you guys classify each Smash character into an archetype? Archetypes that fit into fighting games.

Meaning

Etc

Reason I ask is that many fighting games has characters that fit into archetypes. What archetypes might we be missing.
As far as "archetypes that we're missing" goes, the ones that come to mind are the "stretcher," a character who zones not by projectiles or traps, but by long ranged physical attacks, the "power up character," who has an ability/special move that makes them progressively more powerful, and the "boxer," the character with little to no special abilities who is short ranged, but quick and powerful.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

Meaning

Etc

Here's some of my archetypes.
-Lightweight Nuisance (Kirby, Jiggs)
-Whatever the hell G+W is (G+W)
-Speed Demons (Sonic, Captain Falcon)
-Projectile Heavy Character (Ness)
-Physical Focused Character (Lucario)
-The Guys you don't want to 1V1 (Marth, Olimar, Fox, Falco)
-Power Up Character (Also Lucario)
-All Physical (Captain Falcon)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know we never talk about a super under-rated yet a logical choice for a newcomer?

The Diver!

I know you guys might be like "Holy crap, that is an awesome suggestion" but let me bring you back down to reality. The Diver has a lot of stuff going for...him...

Such as.....

Uses dolphins and giant clams for attacks....humanely. He does not use them for meat shields like the Peach but trusts in their ability to defeat the anti-eco baddies like Bowser and Wario! We all know Wario's farts causes global warming.

Sprays out ocean water from his snorkel. Does major damage to Samus and R.O.B.

Uber Tier under water. There is sure to be an underwater portion of a stage...

Uses a stun gun on opponents. Again, humanely.

Floaty gameplay and swims in midair. Watch out for his butterfly stroke. Floats like a butterfly fish, stings like a stingray.

Holy ****, he can hitch rides with whales. I'd like to see Ridley do that. Ridley is too big to hitch rides on whales.

Watch as he somersaults past opponents! Such grace!

And for those still on the fence, here is an alt costume to all you fan service lovers out there:

Plus he is relevant due to his Wii games and not to mention Smash Bros. Wii U largely focuses on Wii titles and content.

he Diver; the under-rated yet logical choice for Smash Bros. A rep from a much needed rep'd franchise since Smash 64.

Endless Ocean NEEDS to be represented in Smash. More than it needs Ridley, King K. Rool, Diskun, Little Mac, Palutena, Wifi, a story mode, a stage builder, online ranking systems, trophies, and Yoshi.

In all seriousness, I do think The Diver would be pretty cool character to have but he is largely unlikely albeit impossible. I do support an Endless Ocean stage however....especially with the HD graphics.

So what character do you support that you know, in your heart, there's no chance in hell making it in, yet you think they would bring an interesting and positive element into Smash?

I'll go back to lurking in this thread....in the depths of the ocean like a Kaijuu...
Holy ****! This would be one WTF character that I would like to support other than the Wrestler and Kawashima. :troll:

?????????????

Smash Master
Let's see...we don't have "Drunken Master," "Bruce Lee homage," "Dancing character," or "comedic anime school girl."

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
As far as "archetypes that we're missing" goes, the ones that come to mind are the "stretcher," a character who zones not by projectiles or traps, but by long ranged physical attacks, the "power up character," who has an ability/special move that makes them progressively more powerful, and the "boxer," the character with little to no special abilities who is short ranged, but quick and powerful.
I think one could argue fairly safely that Marth is reasonably close to a stretcher; while he is no Dhalsim is spacing abilities are still impressive. As for the boxer, I think that Meta Knight was supposed to be this character but ended up having too much power and range on top of his speed. There's something worth noting in that I do not think a proper boxer with no real special abilities will ever appear in smash; they would look too plain compared to every other character and I don't know how not-special special moves would work.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Gen1- Pikachu, bulbasaur, squirtle, charizard, mewtwo,

Gen2- ..... pichu? Scizor maybe

Gen3- blaziken, deoxys, plusle&minun,

Gen4-lucario

Gen5-victini, zoroark, genesect

Gen6-greninja, sylveon, mega mewtwo y

This is basically the more notable, memorable, and popular pokemon from each gen. So these I see as smash candidates
Oh what I would give to get Scizor or Genesect on Smash...

I doubt there really is going to be a new playable Pokemon in Sm4sh, but the Smash series is already inflated with Pokemon characters. This will be especially true if the veterans return (M2 and Pichu).

If I could have my way, I'd get rid of the gimmiky Pokemon (Pichu and Pkmn Trainer) and replace them with a rep from each gen that has a unique playsytle.

EG.

Gen 1: Pikachu
Gen 2: Scizor
Gen 3: Pluse+min
gen 4 : Lucario
gen 5: Genesect
gen 6: Mewtwo

?????????????

Smash Master
I think one could argue fairly safely that Marth is reasonably close to a stretcher; while he is no Dhalsim is spacing abilities are still impressive. As for the boxer, I think that Meta Knight was supposed to be this character but ended up having too much power and range on top of his speed. There's something worth noting in that I do not think a proper boxer with no real special abilities will ever appear in smash; they would look too plain compared to every other character and I don't know how not-special special moves would work.
In my opinion, you're not a boxer if you have a sword. Besides, Nintendo has a great boxer!

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Let's see...we don't have "Drunken Master," "Bruce Lee homage," "Dancing character," or "comedic anime school girl."
Add that one drunk fighter from Dead or Alive, Fei Long, Amane Nishiki and..... something from Arcana Heart to Smash and we are good.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For the stretcher, Shulk could work. The Monado can get pretty freaking big.

?????????????

Smash Master
Add that one drunk fighter from Dead or Alive, Fei Long, Amane Nishiki and..... something from Arcana Heart to Smash and we are good.
Let's see...I'll go with Conker the Squirrel, Karate Joe, Jimmy T., and Ayumi Tachibana. Then throw in Lanky Kong for stretcher.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Oh what I would give to get Scizor or Genesect on Smash...

I doubt there really is going to be a new playable Pokemon in Sm4sh, but the Smash series is already inflated with Pokemon characters. This will be especially true if the veterans return (M2 and Pichu).

If I could have my way, I'd get rid of the gimmiky Pokemon (Pichu and Pkmn Trainer) and replace them with a rep from each gen that has a unique playsytle.

EG.

Gen 2: Scizor
Gen 3: Pluse+min
gen 4 : Lucario
gen 5: Genesect
gen 6: Mewtwo
Gen 2: Pichu
Gen 3: Plusle&Minun
Gen4: Lucario
Gen 5: Zoroark
Gen 6: Mewtwo

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Young Cricket and Jimmy T. begs to differ. Wario is already a drunken fighter since his moveset is wack as **** and he gets high off Crazy Balls (Drunk off alcohol in the Japanese version) from seagulls in Wario Land.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Gen4: Lucario
Gen 6: Mewtwo
What? You gave up the electric rodent theme halfway! Why not:

Gen4: Pachirisu
Gen 5: Emolga
Gen 6: Dendenne

Young Cricket and Jimmy T. begs to differ. Wario is already a drunken fighter since his moveset is wack as **** and he gets high off Crazy Balls (Drunk off alcohol in the Japananese version) from seagulls in Wario Land.
Ooh, that's a good point. And Young Cricket would make a good Bruce Lee.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
What? You gave up the electric rodent theme halfway! Why not:

Gen4: Pachirisu
Gen 5: Emolga
Gen 6: Dendenne
Gen 2: Miltank
Gen 3: Gardevoir
Gen 4: Darkrai
Gen 6: Mewtwo?

You probably shouldn't have done that.
Pshaw, Happy Salesman. He did it anyway. :troll:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I gotta disagree with Vaati. I fail to see how he is any more significant OR unique than other villains.

Yes, he may be "one of" the most unique new Zelda choices, but that is "one of" many potential Zelda newcomers, so of the many Zelda newcomers that could be unique, I don't see why Vaati is any more likely than characters who are seen more often (Tetra and Tingle) or characters that are currently more in the public eye (Ghirahim).

Not that'd he be a bad character or anything. I don't mean to come off as hostile, maybe it's a blend of being sick (not feeling well) and general curiosity on how Vaati even stands a chance. He seems so far down the line to me that I wouldn't even put him in consideration.
Significant:He's the 2nd most reoccuring villain, only to Ganondorf and could easily finish off the Toon series.
Unique:Electricity, wind, flamethrower, those little bat like things, teleporting, and turning people into stones sounds pretty unique.

Tetra has than Vaati, and Tingle is really only important in his spin-off's with the exception of WW and maybe MM. Alot of his appearances are just cameo's. And Ghirahim is just a character that has appeared once so far.

?????????????

Smash Master
Gen 1: Red with Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Espeon, and Snorlax
Gen 2: Silver with Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Weavile, Gengar, and Alakazam
Gen 3: Steven with Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Metagross, Aggron, and Skarmory
Gen 4: Cynthia with Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Lucario, Roserade, and Garchomp
Gen 5: Alder with Serperior, Emboar, Samurott, Bouffalant, Conkeldurr, and Volcarona
Gen 6: Diantha with Chesnaut, Delphox, Greninja, Hawlucha, Goodra, and Gardevoir

Is perfect.

?????????????

Smash Master
Significant:He's the 2nd most reoccuring villain, only to Ganondorf and could easily finish off the Toon series.
Unique:Electricity, wind, flamethrower, those little bat like things, teleporting, and turning people into stones sounds pretty unique.

Tetra has than Vaati, and Tingle is really only important in his spin-off's with the exception of WW and maybe MM. Alot of his appearances are just cameo's. And Ghirahim is just a character that has appeared once so far.
Significant: It's true that he's the 2nd most recurring villain, but to me, that significance is diminished by the fact that he hasn't been a villain in a long time, and there are other villains, like Ghirahim, who are more well-known by the general public. Recency does play a part in this, but also, I think it is significant that Vaati has never made a 3Dimensional appearance. I know that's nitpicky, but it just makes him look less significant all around. Like he's not important enough for anyone to care.

Unique: That's true too, but similar lists could be made for others like Ghirahim, Zant, Agahnim, or Yuga, so it doesn't give him an edge above those characters.

See, like I was saying, Vaati has enough significance and uniqueness going for him, but I think there's other characters who are simply more likely. So much so that I wouldn't even have thought of Vaati as viable.

Gen 3: Blaziken
Gen 4: Lucario
Gen 6: Greninja
Is perfect.
Nothing with Pichu is perfect.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, you're not a boxer if you have a sword. Besides, Nintendo has a great boxer!
Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought you were referring to the archtype that I think of as 'death by 1000 cuts' whereby the character doesn't have any strong finishing moves but through the use of fast, quick combos they can rack up the damage very quickly if one is not careful. A boxer would fit that archtype, as should have Meta Knight and Sonic (Meta Knight has too much power, Sonic can't combo enough). I think the smash series has a halfway decent number of these already. The only differentiating point is the lack of specials, which I can't see happening in and Smash AND if it did Sonic is already pretty close to it.

?????????????

Smash Master
Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought you were referring to the archtype that I think of as 'death by 1000 cuts' whereby the character doesn't have any strong finishing moves but through the use of fast, quick combos they can rack up the damage very quickly if one is not careful. A boxer would fit that archtype, as should have Meta Knight and Sonic (Meta Knight has too much power, Sonic can't combo enough). I think the smash series has a halfway decent number of these already. The only differentiating point is the lack of specials, which I can't see happening in and Smash AND if it did Sonic is already pretty close to it.
I just want Little Mac.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
The whole "the Toad" thing going on at MarioWiki is pretty ridiculous. Apparently the Blue Toad from 3D World is the Toad, despite being... well, blue.

At one point Captain Toad was also the Toad, but now that Blue Toad is the Toad, CT can't be the Toad anymore.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The whole "the Toad" thing going on at MarioWiki is pretty ridiculous. Apparently the Blue Toad from 3D World is the Toad, despite being... well, blue.

At one point Captain Toad was also the Toad, but now that Blue Toad is the Toad, CT can't be the Toad anymore.
Too many Toads.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Captain toad is the toad.
Blue toad is blue toad.
Yellow toad is yellow toad.

777 Jackpot I won

Status