• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Don't get your hopes up. Mewtwo was the big thing to show off Mega Evolutions with Charizard and Lucario. They aren't going to overlook that for a Gen 3 Trainer when Ruby and Sapphire 3DS don't even have anything going on yet that we know of (if that is actually happening though, I will **** myself from pure excitement).
If it is going to happen, Sakurai is going to know about it WAY before anyone else. So he might include something from Gen 3 to keep Smash relevant for more than a year.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I am hoping that the Pokemon Company orders Sakurai to start adding Pokemon newcomers from post-Brawl Pokemon games instead of recreating the Pokemon veterans.

Black & White rep: Zoroark
X & Y rep: Mewtwo
Ruby & Sapphire remakes rep: Pokemon Trainer May with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken

It would be anticlimactic if the Pokemon Company ordered Sakurai to not show anything on the SSB4 website if they were only going to keep the Pokemon Brawl veterans plus Mewtwo. Why the secrecy if we were only going to get the same Pokemon we already played with for the last 6+ years?
Maybe Mega Evolutions are being implemented and that's what's being kept secret.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I believe it was made noted about the portrayal of Snake in Brawl and how there was somewhat of a tone down on how he was portrayed, as to where Sakurai had to be careful on what was used and not used(Silly Ratings, Silly ESRB). The teams themselves likely have a say in how a character would. Would they want a character behaving a way or doing a thing that makes no sense? IE: Pikachu with a flamethrower? It's obvious that Sakurai takes input from the source material and the teams creating a series in my mind. In addition, they likely are the ones to discuss a newcomer as well.
Again, with the Intelligent Systems thing.

This is precisely why I think people are heavily overestimating Roy's chances (don't get mad, otherwise come towards me with heated intent :awesome:)

If he goes there, and if he asks for an idea for a new character, does anybody REALLY think they are going to say, "Oh add Roy because he was in Melee, not Chrom, Lucina or Robin from our latest and best selling game for the 3DS".

I know Chrom is hated, and that's fine and dandy. Doesn't mean Roy is going to get in. Because I'll tell you right now, popularity isn't everything, and if Intelligent Systems doesn't want Roy, he probably isn't going to come back.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Never really freaked me out. Course, that was after I was experienced to Redeads and Earthbound at an earlier time.

You DON'T? Maybe it's just me.
It's probably more freaky when you realize what that thing really is what its purpose is. That and there are alot of trippy stages in Vampire Savior. Like for example...Tower of Arrogance? Never was a fan of heights. Also, if Jedah's like anyone from Blazblue...it's Relius. They both even have the same English VA.

Morbi

Scavenger
Again, with the Intelligent Systems thing.

This is precisely why I think people are heavily overestimating Roy's chances (don't get mad, otherwise come towards me with heated intent :awesome:)

If he goes there, and if he asks for an idea for a new character, does anybody REALLY think they are going to say, "Oh add Roy because he was in Melee, not Chrom, Lucina or Robin from our latest and best selling game for the 3DS".

I know Chrom is hated, and that's fine and dandy. Doesn't mean Roy is going to get in. Because I'll tell you right now, popularity isn't everything, and if Intelligent Systems doesn't want Roy, he probably isn't going to come back.
You took the words out of my mouth... or off of my keyboard. He isn't necessarily obligated to consult with them, but blatantly dismissing their input? It isn't going to happen.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
It's probably more freaky when you realize what that thing really is what its purpose is. That and there are alot of trippy stages in Vampire Savior. Like for example...Tower of Arrogance? Never was a fan of heights. Also, if Jedah's like anyone from Blazblue...it's Relius. They both even have the same English VA.
Relius?
If anything, Makoto's bad ending. Creepy.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This is why I disagree with people when they say Sakurai doesn't have to meet with Intelligent Systems.

While it's entirely possible FE doesn't get a newcomer. He still has to visit their studio for an updated design "OK" for both Marth and Ike. Even then, I'm sure there has been some sort of discussion on a new character and such.
He definitely has to meet with them; in studio or via cam. I am willing to bet that any team behind a particular franchise has some say in how Sakurai portrays their intellectual properties. Even for stages, items, and assist trophies.

I a particulary interested whether Sakurai and his team brought in a real Yoga instructor in order to map of Ms. Fit&s moves or just watched videos. Regardless, I am containing some laughter imagining Sakurai is spandex doing yoga stretches while thinking of how Ms. Fit will do it in Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean believe me guys, I'm not a Roy hater. I wouldn't care if he came back or whatever. But thinking he's going to come back, over a character from the newest and best selling games in the damn series is expecting too much.

That's like Sakurai adding an older lord with no relevance at the moment. Like Sigurd or Celica. Why would that make ANY SENSE? I'll tell you, it doesn't. The only reason Roy has any chance is because of the Brawl data. Otherwise, he's on the same level as basically everybody else from Fire Emblem.

Really that's why I find a lot of FE debate useless. It doesn't matter that Roy has fire, it doesn't matter who you all think is "boring". It comes down to what is in IS's best interest, and what their best interest can translate into when transferred to Smash.

Really, I think anything that can be done to Roy can be done to Chrom. That's all I have to say about that.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I mean believe me guys, I'm not a Roy hater. I wouldn't care if he came back or whatever. But thinking he's going to come back, over a character from the newest and best selling games in the damn series is expecting too much.

That's like Sakurai adding an older lord with no relevance at the moment. Like Sigurd or Celica. Why would that make ANY SENSE? I'll tell you, it doesn't. The only reason Roy has any chance is because of the Brawl data. Otherwise, he's on the same level as basically everybody else from Fire Emblem.
WHY DO YOU HATE FIRE?!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I a particulary interested whether Sakurai and his team brought in a real Yoga instructor in order to map of Ms. Fit&s moves or just watched videos. Regardless, I am containing some laughter imagining Sakurai is spandex doing yoga stretches while thinking of how Ms. Fit will do it in Smash.
Hoo boy, this would be priceless to watch.

Morbi

Scavenger

Yes, the notion of Sakurai speaking with Intelligent Systems... is the reason why I personally find Chrom to be "shoe-in," that doesn't mean we can't get Roy, he is probably a low-priority clone... like last time... and the time before that. It just means that the primary focus is going to be Chrom.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
They aren't going to overlook that for a Gen 3 Trainer when Ruby and Sapphire 3DS don't even have anything going on yet that we know of (if that is actually happening though, I will **** myself from pure excitement).
Signs(pure speculation on my part) are pointing to a Gen 3 remake, yes. I suspect the Gen 5 games didn't include Ruby/Sapphire remakes only because they were on the regular DS and could thus interact with the original Gen 3 games.

Also, I thought I'd post my roster.
49 char.png

I am fully aware how unlikely some of my choices are, so I arranged the roster so that ignoring the rightmost column suddenly makes the roster much more realistic. Also, Hoenn Trainer is interchangeable with Kanto Trainer if one sees fit, since I honestly couldn't decide on one or the other.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Yes, the notion of Sakurai speaking with Intelligent Systems... is the reason why I personally find Chrom to be "shoe-in," that doesn't mean we can't get Roy, he is probably a low-priority clone... like last time... and the time before that. It just means that the primary focus is going to be Chrom.
Ignoring my massive denial for Chrom, this is the likely case.

Well...I mean...they really could add Chrom and give him fire. Big whoop. It's fire. Bowser, Charizard, Mario, Luigi, Ike...they all have it already.
More Fire. We need it.
Super Fire Bros.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I wonder if Snake and ROB will make it. They seemed like extras. Mostly ROB.
...Ehh, it's too late to pull out a logic bullet. So I'll just say this:
ROB is historical and very important. Not going anywhere.
Snake is Snake. Little reason to have Konami cut him, contracts and other things of the sort.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Still think tactician. Important part of fire emblem (even before awakining) has gained many abilities? Seems good to me!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Signs(pure speculation on my part) are pointing to a Gen 3 remake, yes. I suspect the Gen 5 games didn't include Ruby/Sapphire remakes only because they were on the regular DS and could thus interact with the original Gen 3 games.
There's really nothing more then there was back in Gen 5 though. Plus we have to consider how far along said game would be considering that XY just finished development and if they follow Gen 4's model we won't get it until after "Z."

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
There's really nothing more then there was back in Gen 5 though. Plus we have to consider how far along said game would be considering that XY just finished development and if they follow Gen 4's model we won't get it until after "Z."
..We got X and Y months ago.
Why do people think we are getting a new one so soon?!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Also, I thought I'd post my roster.
View attachment 7389
I am fully aware how unlikely some of my choices are, so I arranged the roster so that ignoring the rightmost column suddenly makes the roster much more realistic. Also, Hoenn Trainer is interchangeable with Kanto Trainer if one sees fit, since I honestly couldn't decide on one or the other.
Quote 10/10

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I should just have a copy of my Snake rants on hand for anyone who thinks he's for sure going to get the axe. I PITY TEH FOOS.

Anyway, Snake shouldn't be cut. Here's why in a short amount of time:

1) If Sakurai cared about Snake hardly being memorable to Nintendo, that would have stopped him from getting in the first time

2) Third Party spots are reserved for Legendary characters only, meaning that Snake is eligible here as well.

3) Snake can't just be "cut". There are contracts to be written and such, meaning that Sakurai can't just back out last minutes and say, "OOPS. MUH BAD" If Snake is planned, then he is already in. Especially if Sakurai is honest in saying that all characters are planned to return as long as time allows.

4) MGS has always been on other systems, but it all comes back to reason #1. If it didn't matter then, it doesn't matter now.

5) Kojima wanted Snake in for 2 reasons. First, for his son to be able to play as one of his father's characters, and second, because he wanted younger players to be introduced to MGS. I don't see any problems with that.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Nope as playable, maybe as an AT.

Just one character per 3rd party franchise. It's the universal law.
It's written in Section Brawl, Part III.
"All Third Parties that are eligible get one playable character, one stage, and one AT." :troll:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It's written in Section Brawl, Part III.
"All Third Parties that are eligible get one playable character, one stage, and one AT." :troll:
And Sakurai did the sacred pledge by placing his right hand on the first printed copy of Super Mario Bros. He is bounded by tradition.

I would love to see a 3rd party item though. That would be cool!

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I would love to see a 3rd party item though. That would be cool!
Maybe have an E-Tank be a reskinned Maximum Tomato?
Give us Snake's Tranquilizer?
A reskinned Bunny Hood that is the Speed Shoes?
So many possibilities.
Sonic's item should undoubtedly be the Shield from the classic games.

It comes in a monitor and you break it open with attacks, like the Metal Box.
Maybe it could have properties of the fire, electric, and bubble shields, but I think that'd make it too powerful.

----

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Really that's why I find a lot of FE debate useless. It doesn't matter that Roy has fire, it doesn't matter who you all think is "boring". It comes down to what is in IS's best interest, and what their best interest can translate into when transferred to Smash.

Really, I think anything that can be done to Roy can be done to Chrom. That's all I have to say about that.
Not touching the move set issues with a nineteen-and-a-half foot pole. That's another debate, it's late, and I don't want to get into I fight before bed.

However, who's to say that Sakurai will immediately go to IS for a newcomer? He could just go in for Marth this time, without Ike (stupid and unlikely, sure, but still possible). He could just ask for a Brawl reprisal. Heck, he could even say "You know what? I won't add anyone else until you give me back Roy."

You could argue that IS might force it on him, but if Sakurai disagrees, it's all up in the air. We do know that Sakurai fought repeatedly to get Snake in Brawl, though. If he can fight with Nintendo to have such an odd, easily objectionable character in, who's to say he would fold for a smaller branch?

Even if it was forced for Chrom to be in game, who's to say it will be as a newcomer? Could the success of Awakening be properly given, even if there was no character from the game? Would having a stage, Assist Trophy(s), and the majority of music from Awakening be enough?

We honestly have no clue what is going to happen, but remember that both IS and Sakurai will most likely have to be in agreement here. One supplies what is needed, the other gives the rubber stamp of approval. It's tough, but we simply have no idea here.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Apparently, they started working on Pokemon X and Y before Pokemon Black and White came out. So, there may be a possibility of a gen 3 remake this gen.
If you want some sauce with that: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/pokemo...-before-black-and-white-launched#.UucwFtLnZpQ
Possibly, but we still don't know their schedule for releasing it. Looking at the previous Pokémon cycles, we usually have a 2 year lull after the dual games, which we're in right now, so that game isn't coming out until next year. It's even longer if Z comes out instead next year and its date's pushed off for another year.

Another thing to consider is that even if the remake's in development, it may still not get content. Platinum was in development and was released the same year as Brawl and didn't get any content, same with examples like Corruption and Galaxy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not touching the move set issues with a nineteen-and-a-half foot pole. That's another debate, it's late, and I don't want to get into I fight before bed.

However, who's to say that Sakurai will immediately go to IS for a newcomer? He could just go in for Marth this time, without Ike (stupid and unlikely, sure, but still possible). He could just ask for a Brawl reprisal. Heck, he could even say "You know what? I won't add anyone else until you give me back Roy."

You could argue that IS might force it on him, but if Sakurai disagrees, it's all up in the air. We do know that Sakurai fought repeatedly to get Snake in Brawl, though. If he can fight with Nintendo to have such an odd, easily objectionable character in, who's to say he would fold for a smaller branch?

Even if it was forced for Chrom to be in game, who's to say it will be as a newcomer? Could the success of Awakening be properly given, even if there was no character from the game? Would having a stage, Assist Trophy(s), and the majority of music from Awakening be enough?

We honestly have no clue what is going to happen, but remember that both IS and Sakurai will most likely have to be in agreement here. One supplies what is needed, the other gives the rubber stamp of approval. It's tough, but we simply have no idea here.
I don't necessarily think Sakurai is as passionate about Fire Emblem as some of you guys. I am pretty sure he is like most of the Smash fan-base... "whatever, tell me which one you want." Is that not what happened when we got Ike? Again, Sakurai is probably going to care more about keeping his game relevant and ensure that the roster is cohesive, Intelligent Systems is advocating for Chrom, Chrom is going to be in future Fire Emblem titles (without a doubt). So why would he be so adamant about inconveniencing a fellow developer for the sake of a low priority clone that only got in because he looked different than Marth? This helps Smash, it helps Intelligent Systems, and it helps Nintendo. Roy still has a chance, as a low priority clone, just like last time.... and the time before that.

IS isn't going to force him and he isn't going to blatantly deny them (like a child). He is going to ask for suggestions, they will suggest Chrom, he will consider it. End of story.

Why wouldn't they agree? I don't understand why Sakurai would hate the idea as much as people who fallaciously assume that Sakurai can't come up with another sword-user move-set.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Why wouldn't they agree? I don't understand why Sakurai would hate the idea as much as people who fallaciously assume that Sakurai can't come up with another sword-user move-set.
Again referencing my denial, but Sakurai has and can make another Sword User.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Again referencing my denial, but Sakurai has and can make another Sword User.
I've got to admire your ability to acknowledge that what's likely and what you want is different. I have little insight on the fire emblem series and don't particularly like Ike or Roy, so I have no stake on it, but I know what it's like to want something but have to say to yourself it won't happen. I had convinced myself in Skull Kid and Ridley for Brawl last time, and I'm trying to keep myself from doing the same this time with Ridley and Mach Rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom