• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I'm convinced it's a homage to Punch-Out/actual Punch-Out stage as well, but...it could also be used as a way to represent the series WITHOUT a playable character, like Animal Crossing in Brawl, as well as a home to Punch-Out music.
But the thing was in Brawl, Animal Crossing DID, at one point, have a newcomer in the Villager. Not to mention Animal Crossing had the issue of accordingly being too peaceful, but Punch-Out doesn't have that issue it is technically a Pseudo-Fighting game and Little Mac doesn't have said problems to hold him back.

@ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444 , hell naw, you ain't alone. Many other people (including myself) want it too.
One thing's for sure though, I'm the only one who want MK revamped. Not just nerfed, REVAMPED.
Revamped as in how? What would you do to redesign Meta Knight differently?

How about Buffed to Akuma level? Wait, better. RARE AKUMA level. :troll:
You need to get on the SHIN AKUMA/ONI level. :p

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
There is the Ice Climber anniversary that's coming up, but I guess past anniversaries have shown us that they don't always equal veteran reveals. Of course, this would be the best time to confirm the Ice Climbers if they truly are coming back.
Nintendo Direct, you see the IC from behind, they say nothing, the camera zooms into them, still nothing happens, then they suddenly take off their parka's to reveal they are Plusle And Minun. . . .Plusle and Minun confirmed

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444 , hell naw, you ain't alone. Many other people (including myself) want it too.
One thing's for sure though, I'm the only one who want MK revamped. Not just nerfed, REVAMPED.
I wouldn't mind if Meta Knight received an overhaul, I never thought that he was one of the more fun characters. I don't honestly feel as though Meta Knight is as blatantly over-powered as people make him out to be. Even if he is, I play FFA, so I don't even give a ****. :awesome:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There is that one Parasite Queen level, it doesn't have any lava (that I am aware of).
Exactly, we've done it before, we can do it again! :p

Also, I don't remember who posted it, but someone asked if we could make a Pokemon roster with no Gen 1 pokemon(though Charizard and Blastoise are cool dudes)? I think I know who I would pick.

Blaziken, Ampharos, Lucario, Greninja, Snivy, Gardevoir. Those are all pretty popular Pokemon. And I think that they could make interesting Smash characters. Well, I mean Lucario was already in Brawl so that's not a surprise.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I recently thought of an idea for a new character. The Athlete. It would be a character that represents all of Nintendo's sports games from the NES, such as Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Volleyball, Soccer, Ice Hockey, 10 Yard Fight, Slalom, and maybe even Pro Wrestling. This would be his icon.
I'm not a big fan of a sports themed moveset, but what do you guys think?

Attachments

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Honestly: I'm very surprised no Pokemon have been shown, but the Poke Ball only. :confused:

First Newcomer of Smash 5 Confirmed? :troll:
This is why I think that Game Freak is sort of calling the shots in terms of their properties in Smash. Sakurai does hold A LOT of power but so do some of the other big names in Nintendo including the board of directors and shareholders. It is not impossible to say that many of the higher ups are having a say in Smash Bros. development and how Sakurai is releasing information. I imagine every image/information that Sakurai gives us has been stamped approved by the higher ups in Nintendo. Japan is very bureaucratic in terms of seeking approval and paper work.

Hell, in order to take a hour off from work, I have to file two formal documents (one in English, one in Japanese) and stamp several sheets with a stamp that has my name on it.

I know people get angry over Sakurai and I think in part, he does it to generate hype and discussion. But I think elements such as Luigi and Toon Link's reveal and lack of a Pokemon rep/Pokeballs,e specially on the X/Y reveal date, has a lot to do with matters outside of Sakurai's control.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
At this point, if Sakurai is willing to make Rosalina playable, it would just be a huge mistake to give Falco and Wolf the cold shoulder.
I should clarify: I was responding to Bkupp's scenario where we completely trim down the roster to the bare necessities, not this current one. I'd imagine in that scenario, Rosalina would probably get the cold shoulder before the Star Fox group would.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I recently thought of an idea for a new character. The Athlete. It would be a character that represents all of Nintendo's sports games from the NES, such as Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Volleyball, Soccer, Ice Hockey, 10 Yard Fight, Slalom, and maybe even Pro Wrestling. This would be his icon.
Sounds alot like what the Mii would do. I don't like it.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Waluigi is the best sports-themed newcomer.

Morbi

Scavenger
Exactly, we've done it before, we can do it again! :p

Also, I don't remember who posted it, but someone asked if we could make a Pokemon roster with no Gen 1 pokemon(though Charizard and Blastoise are cool dudes)? I think I know who I would pick.

Blaziken, Ampharos, Lucario, Greninja, Snivy, Gardevoir. Those are all pretty popular Pokemon. And I think that they could make interesting Smash characters. Well, I mean Lucario was already in Brawl so that's not a surprise.
Let us be brutally honest, there are not too many quality Pokemon that weren't conceived during generation one. Some have the potential to be unique, but we have to remember the criteria, and not many Pokemon actually follow these "guidelines".
1. Lucario
2. Blaziken
3. Zoroark
4. Victini (I can't even believe I am saying this)
5. Genesect (Again, I can't believe this is coming out of the keys that I am pushing)

:urg:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
This is why I think that Game Freak is sort of calling the shots in terms of their properties in Smash. Sakurai does hold A LOT of power but so do some of the other big names in Nintendo including the board of directors and shareholders. It is not impossible to say that many of the higher ups are having a say in Smash Bros. development and how Sakurai is releasing information. I imagine every image/information that Sakurai gives us has been stamped approved by the higher ups in Nintendo. Japan is very bureaucratic in terms of seeking approval and paper work.

I know people get angry over Sakurai and I think in part, he does it to generate hype and discussion. But I think elements such as Luigi and Toon Link's reveal and lack of a Pokemon rep/Pokeballs,e specially on the X/Y reveal date, has a lot to do with matters outside of Sakurai's control.
...Dang. You have a good point. It's likely the case here. I mean, there's some manner to this schedule: Until things get approved it's mostly just filler POTDs because he wants to time out the information for hype and interest to remain but stay in the contracts and conditions as well.

Let us be brutally honest, there are not too many quality Pokemon that weren't conceived during generation one. Some have the potential to be unique, but we have to remember the criteria, and not many Pokemon actually follow these "guidelines".
1. Lucario
2. Blaziken
3. Zoroark
4. Victini (I can't even believe I am saying this)
5. Genesect (Again, I can't believe this is coming out of the keys that I am pushing)
Care if I tell you about the greatness that is Darkrai? :troll:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
But the thing was in Brawl, Animal Crossing DID, at one point, have a newcomer in the Villager. Not to mention Animal Crossing had the issue of accordingly being too peaceful, but Punch-Out doesn't have that issue it is technically a Pseudo-Fighting game and Little Mac doesn't have said problems to hold him back.

Revamped as in how? What would you do to redesign Meta Knight differently?

You need to get on the SHIN AKUMA/ONI level. :p
I'll explain more in the morning. Getting kinda late here.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Oh, we were talking DIFFICULTY? I thought you meant POWER. Well, if we're talking REAL power...don't **** with this guy:

Jedah is wayy too story-powerful. And he reminds me too much of Trolly-McGreen Hair. Like, the polar opposite of Bang Shishigami, one of CS's Top Tier characters, but horrible power story-wise.
Also on Blazblue, CP's Final Boss.
Take-Mika-OVERPOWERED EVERYTHING-WISE.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should clarify: I was responding to Bkupp's scenario where we completely trim down the roster to the bare necessities, not this current one. I'd imagine in that scenario, Rosalina would probably get the cold shoulder before the Star Fox group would.
I guess when you put it that way, that may make some sense. Although, that might leave more than just the Star Fox franchise feeling sour.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh, we were talking DIFFICULTY? I thought you meant POWER. Well, if we're talking REAL power...don't **** with this guy:

I'm pretty sure his voice actor also did Jin Kazama's voice in Tekken. His name was Isshin Chiba I think.

6 Pokemon Characters not from Gen 1:

Blaziken
Deoxys
Lucario
Zoroark
Genesect
Mega Mewtwo
I'm not sure if Mega Mewtwo is cheating or not. Technically, it's still a Gen 1 pokemon. Just a transformed version of it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm pretty sure his voice actor also did Jin Kazama's voice in Tekken. His name was Isshin Chiba I think.

I'm not sure if Mega Mewtwo is cheating or not. Technically, it's still a Gen 1 pokemon. Just a transformed version of it.
Does it have a Pokedex number? If not, it is still 151, Mewtwo. If it does, I would honestly count it as a gen 6 Pokemon (only if he was just Mega the entire time).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
...Dang. You have a good point. It's likely the case here. I mean, there's some manner to this schedule: Until things get approved it's mostly just filler POTDs because he wants to time out the information for hype and interest to remain but stay in the contracts and conditions as well.
I am not 100% sure where I read this and scouring google showed nothing but I remember reading an article about Sakurai saying it is a difficult process to add characters because not only do you need to fill out paper work and have meetings, both teams in charge of Smash and the franchise need to be in open discussion how the character is portrayed in Smash.

Again, I am not sure where I read this but seems pretty logical to me. Obviously, the team behind creating Mario has a lot of say in how that character is portrayed and used in Smash Bros.

?????????????

Smash Master
Does it have a Pokedex number? If not, it is still 151, Mewtwo. If it does, I would honestly count it as a gen 6 Pokemon (only if he was just Mega the entire time).
It does not have a Pokedex number.

It's sort of cheating, but I'd argue for it. If I had to pick something else, I'd go with Darkrai.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Jedah is wayy too story-powerful. And he reminds me too much of Trolly-McGreen Hair. Like, the polar opposite of Bang Shishigami, one of CS's Top Tier characters, but horrible power story-wise.
He's also probably one of the most violent fighting game characters ever, the guy can decapitate himself to block counter. And his stage? The Fetus of God?

If the ****ing name wasn't screwed enough, just LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT IT. That thing...that Shintai...this stage literally gave me nightmares when I was younger. But in the end, this game's still my favorite fighting game of all time. Not to mention I see no real connection between Hazama and Jedah, aside from both are incredibly arrogant.

Yes, it's Jin Kazama's voice actor. The guy's got one hell of a psychotic laugh, I tell you what. :p

IT'S BUSINESS BATMAN VAATI!!!!!!!
Vaati wishes he was half as powerful and half as evil as Jedah. :p

PS: That suit's designed off a Japanese Schoolboy uniform.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Pichu, Igglybuff, Lucario, Mega Mewtwo, and Kalos Trainer with the Pokemon Mega Charazard, Mega Venasaur, and Mega Blastoise. Perfect.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I guess when you put it that way, that may make some sense. Although, that might leave more than just the Star Fox franchise feeling sour.
Oh it definitely would, for that exact reason personally I'd like to avoid that scenario as much as possible. It's true though that eventually we'd reach a cap though and once we do there will probably be at least some cuts, but hopefully that's not for some time.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not 100% sure where I read this and scouring google showed nothing but I remember reading an article about Sakurai saying it is a difficult process to add characters because not only do you need to fill out paper work and have meetings, both teams in charge of Smash and the franchise need to be in open discussion how the character is portrayed in Smash.

Again, I am not sure where I read this but seems pretty logical to me. Obviously, the team behind creating Mario has a lot of say in how that character is portrayed and used in Smash Bros.
No, incorrect. Sakurai gets to do whatever he wants without consulting other developers about their intent. He doesn't listen to their suggestions because it is his game. :rolleyes:
(sarcasm).

That is the most logical notion. I agree with you 100%.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am hoping that the Pokemon Company orders Sakurai to start adding Pokemon newcomers from post-Brawl Pokemon games instead of recreating the Pokemon veterans.

Black & White rep: Zoroark
X & Y rep: Mewtwo
Ruby & Sapphire remakes rep: Pokemon Trainer May with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken

It would be anticlimactic if the Pokemon Company ordered Sakurai to not show anything on the SSB4 website if they were only going to keep the Pokemon Brawl veterans plus Mewtwo. Why the secrecy if we were only going to get the same Pokemon we already played with for the last 6+ years?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

This is why I disagree with people when they say Sakurai doesn't have to meet with Intelligent Systems.

While it's entirely possible FE doesn't get a newcomer. He still has to visit their studio for an updated design "OK" for both Marth and Ike. Even then, I'm sure there has been some sort of discussion on a new character and such.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I believe it was made noted about the portrayal of Snake in Brawl and how there was somewhat of a tone down on how he was portrayed, as to where Sakurai had to be careful on what was used and not used(Silly Ratings, Silly ESRB). The teams themselves likely have a say in how a character would. Would they want a character behaving a way or doing a thing that makes no sense? IE: Pikachu with a flamethrower? It's obvious that Sakurai takes input from the source material and the teams creating a series in my mind. In addition, they likely are the ones to discuss a newcomer as well.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I am hoping that the Pokemon Company orders Sakurai to start adding Pokemon newcomers from post-Brawl Pokemon games instead of recreating the Pokemon veterans.

Black & White rep: Zoroark
X & Y rep: Mewtwo
Ruby & Sapphire remakes rep: Pokemon Trainer May with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken

It would be anticlimactic if the Pokemon Company ordered Sakurai to not show anything on the SSB4 website if they were only going to keep the Pokemon Brawl veterans plus Mewtwo. Why the secrecy if we were only going to get the same Pokemon we already played with for the last 6+ years?
Don't get your hopes up. Mewtwo was the big thing to show off Mega Evolutions with Charizard and Lucario. They aren't going to overlook that for a Gen 3 Trainer when Ruby and Sapphire 3DS don't even have anything going on yet that we know of (if that is actually happening though, I will **** myself from pure excitement).

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
He's also probably one of the most violent fighting game characters ever, the guy can decapitate himself to block counter. And his stage? The Fetus of God?
If the ****ing name wasn't screwed enough, just LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT IT.
Never really freaked me out. Course, that was after I was experienced to Redeads and Earthbound (THIS ENDING WAS NOT OKAY) at an earlier time.
Not to mention I see no real connection between Hazama and Jedah, aside from both are incredibly arrogant.
You DON'T? Maybe it's just me. I always though of Jedah as a complete, arrogant troll. In fact, I get too many Dalkstalker vibes from Blazblue. Quite ironic seeing as how Blazblue is my favorite fighting game series...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom