• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How about we talk about characters out friends want to see I have three close friends that are really into Smash Bros. One want's Takamaru, the other wants King K Rool, and the last one wants a Pokemon Trainer with all the starters... All three of them want Little Mac the most though.
Okay then.
My brother wants: Bowser Jr., a Gen III trainer , and Sonic (who is confirmed.) and he dislikes Toad.

Most of my friends hardly play Nintendo games (not surprising as Nintendo barely exists here)... they're all Playstation fans. Though one friend was really happy to see Mega Man.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
People are still expecting Bandanna Dee? Last time I checked, Sakurai didn't want to overrep his franchise. As much as I love Kirby, I just don't see how deserving he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to be added like Rosie when I doubted her at first.
Yeah, Chandelure, Lone and I are the big supporters here of Bandana on Smashboards.

It seems like a very.....boring roster.
Not that many interesting additions.
The most interesting newcomer is probably Lucina
And Id also recommend replacing either Takamaru or Lip with a more obscure retro characters, so there would be one normal retro, and one obscure retro.

PIC OF THE DAY!
View attachment 6413
"Luma gets run over by a certain yellow plumber's motorbike, but get right back up for battle, though looking a bit distorted."
Obvious reveal is coming.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I can't say most of my friends play Smash. They enjoy it but not crazy about it like me.

However, from when if asked them which characters they would like to see pre-E3:

Friend #1: Dixie Kong, Rosalina, Mega Man, a new Pokemon trainer, Victini, Mewtwo)
(he is a avid Pokemon fan

Friend #2: Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Baby Mario Bros, Mii
(Never played a Nintendo game except for Mario)

Friend #3: None because PSASBR is better than Smash.
(Diehard PS fan)

Fiancé: Toad, Daisy, and Toon Zelda.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well yeah, I suppose we both have our own points. I just think you should probably slow down a bit when one universe takes up roughly 1/5th of your entire roster is all. But no big deal if you keep Junior, only change I'd really like to see in your roster is the return of Lucas. Not much else really strikes me as a necessary change.
I guess I could always replace Chrom with Lucas, as Chrom doesn't seem to be all that popular to people.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Bandana Dee hate now? Jeez guys, can't we have any dark horse suggestions?
It's not hate, it's just reminding us to curb our expectations. Nobody here has said that you or I can't like or support Bandana Dee, just that we have to be realistic about his chances.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay then.
My brother wants: Bowser Jr., a Gen III trainer , and Sonic (who is confirmed.) and he dislikes Toad.
My sister wants: Robin, Isaac and Toad. She's part of the reason I campaign for the shroom to begin with(although it helps I really like him myself). Dislikes Bowser Jr.

Long Distance Rivalry Obtained.

I guess this would count as a "Sibling Rivalry"? :troll:

So this may seem like a silly question but does anyone see any future newcomers coming in a pair like Rosalina & Luma? Obviously Diddy & Dixie is right out, but I often see people suggest Chrom & Lucina...are there any others?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Newcomers that come in pairs?

Blue Toad & Yellow Toad
Wandering Heroes
Dixie & Kiddy

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Long Distance Rivalry Obtained.

I guess this would count as a "Sibling Rivalry"? :troll:

So this may seem like a silly question but does anyone see any future newcomers coming in a pair like Rosalina & Luma? Obviously Diddy & Dixie is right out, but I often see people suggest Chrom & Lucina...are there any others?
Pokemon mystery Dungeon team.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Team Rocket could work too... the player plays as Meowth... and Meowth is paired with Arbok and Weezing... but he can have only one Poison-type Pokemon out at a time... so Jessie and James take turns summoning and recalling the Pokemon...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Team Rocket could work too... the player plays as Meowth... and Meowth is paired with Arbok and Weezing... but he can have only one Poison-type Pokemon out at a time... so Jessie and James take turns summoning and recalling the Pokemon...
No thanks.....

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
An idea I see thrown around a lot. I like Meowth, so naturally I'm not against this but I can understand why many would be. Anime influence over game influence is obviously a big no no after all.

I mean if you ignore that Jigglypuff was included due to anime popularity originally...or Charizard whose popularity was at least boosted somewhat by the anime. Or Pichu because of the Pichu Bros.
Or Lucario who had the majority of his popularity come from his movie.
Or Pikachu even, who only became the mascot for good once the anime cemented him as such.
Or the more Anime-esque King Dedede we were shown last week...
Or that half of Black Shadow's popularity in Japan is only because of the F-Zero anime.
Or that the DK cartoon certainly gave King K. Rool a little boost in want in Japan...

...what was my point again?

Pokemon mystery Dungeon team.
Aside from Grovyle, who'd be in that team?
I mean I'm assuming Grovyle is the go to Pokemon for Mystery Dungeon anyway from what I've seen here.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I don't mind if none of the 1st gen veterans came back except for Pikachu... I want new faces for the Pokemon series...

1st gen newcomer: Meowth
2nd gen newcomer: Pokemon Trainer Gold
3rd gen newcomer: Deoxys
5th gen newcomer: Zoroark

But that's just me... I just want the Pokemon series to feel rejuvenated with many new faces for the rest of 2010's instead of feeling stagnant with the old ones from the 2000's...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't mind if none of the 1st gen veterans came back except for Pikachu... I want new faces for the Pokemon series...

1st gen newcomer: Meowth
2nd gen newcomer: Pokemon Trainer Gold
3rd gen newcomer: Deoxys
5th gen newcomer: Zoroark

But that's just me... I just want the Pokemon series to feel rejuvenated with many new faces for the rest of 2010's instead of feeling stagnant with the old ones from the 2000's...
Hmm, let's try this as a subject actually(because we're all out anyway):

Pick a Pokemon newcomer for each gen.
  • Four representatives only(Trainer counts as one for the purpose of this) so not all generations will be represented.
  • Newcomers only
  • Mega forms count as 6th Gen representative so Mega Mewtwo X/Y is acceptable as a 6th Gen rep and a newcomer.
  • Pikachu must stay.

I think I'd go...

Gen 1: Meowth
Gen 3: Blaziken
Gen 5: Zoroark
Gen 6: Mega Mewtwo Y

What would yours be?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Gen 1: Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee
Gen 2: Scizor
Gen 4: Giratina
Gen 5: Zoroark/Keldeo
Gen 6: Pangoro/Hawlucha

An idea I see thrown around a lot. I like Meowth, so naturally I'm not against this but I can understand why many would be. Anime influence over game influence is obviously a big no no after all.

I mean if you ignore that Jigglypuff was included due to anime popularity originally...or Charizard whose popularity was at least boosted somewhat by the anime. Or Pichu because of the Pichu Bros.
Or Lucario who had the majority of his popularity come from his movie.
Or Pikachu even, who only became the mascot for good once the anime cemented him as such.
Or the more Anime-esque King Dedede we were shown last week...
Or that half of Black Shadow's popularity in Japan is only because of the F-Zero anime.
Or that the DK cartoon certainly gave King K. Rool a little boost in want in Japan...

...what was my point again?

Aside from Grovyle, who'd be in that team?
I mean I'm assuming Grovyle is the go to Pokemon for Mystery Dungeon anyway from what I've seen here.
No Grovyle. Team Gold, including Alakazam, Tyranitar and Charizard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hate to burst bubbles, but Mewtwo is essentially the only one with a huge chance.

Unless you want even less newcomers, I wouldn't bank on a new Trainer. That's a three for one that takes up mundo amounts of development.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

• Four representatives only(Trainer counts as one for the purpose of this) so not all generations will be represented.
  • Newcomers only
  • Mega forms count as 6th Gen representative so Mega Mewtwo X/Y is acceptable as a 6th Gen rep and a newcomer.
  • Pikachu must stay.

I think I'd go...

Gen 1: Meowth
Gen 6: Mega Mewtwo Y

What would yours be?
So it's Pikachu and 4 other different gens?

• Pikachu
  • Gen 1 Mewtwo
  • Gardevoir
  • Lucario
  • Gen 2 Trainer

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

• Newcomers only
  • Pikachu must stay.
If I were Sakurai,
Gen 2: Dunsparce
Gen 6: Mewtwo with Mega Mewtwo forms.

If I thought only about myself,
Gen 2: Donphan
Gen 3: Gardevoir
Gen 6: Pangoro

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You guys think a Pokemon newcomer is likely thanks to the Pokemon criteria stated by Sakurai last year?
Pokémon has received 2 newcomers every time (:pichumelee::mewtwomelee: in Melee and :pt::lucario: in Brawl), so it's not impossible.

But with limited newcomers this time, he might think that Pokémon has had enough.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
I'd genuinely rather have generation 1 only for Pokemon, but if I could pick one newcomer from each generation:

1. Mewtwo (if he counts) or Meowth.
2. Scizor.
3. Blaziken.
6. Pangoro.

Gen 4 and 5 were pretty lackluster to me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There are no new pokemon that fit that criteria so sadly no.
Pokémon has received 2 newcomers every time (:pichumelee::mewtwomelee: in Melee and :pt::lucario: in Brawl), so it's not impossible.

But with limited newcomers this time, he might think that Pokémon has had enough.
I hope you two are wrong... I want brand-new, never-before-playable-in-Smash Pokemon characters to play around with for the next five years instead of playing with the same old ones for five more years.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hope you two are wrong... I want brand-new, never-before-playable-in-Smash Pokemon characters to play around with for the next five years instead of playing with the same old ones for five more years.
I don't really have a problem with the old faces staying. None of the new pokémon after Gen IV have really been able to live up to bar set by the Pokémon veterans (Jigglypuff is a lucky oddball, don't remind me).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You have to think about what Sakurai has said about Pokémon. He looks at the Pokémon movies. He probably looks at what is popular. He has to know about the outrage that occurred after Mewtwo was cut.

Mewtwo is the obvious choice. He's probably in the top most popular Pokémon, something that I don't even think Pikachu can argue. Mewtwo just has that superstar power. I can hardly think of any Pokémon that could get in past him for Smash.

I don't care if people dream. But you have to acknowledge reality. I'm not trying to shoot people down. But Smash Bros. in it's entirety is a business scheme. You put Nintendo's latest and greatest into a crossover fighting game to show what they've got.

Mewtwo is BY FAR more popular than any non-gen 1 Pokémon. There's basically no refuting that.

Again, I don't care if people dream. But with the consistent influx of obscure/bull**** character threads, I'm waiting for the 20 that are made today from this subject.

Gune

Smash Lord
The pokemon we have now aren't so bad I can stand them for another five or ten years.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They aren't so bad... but I am getting bored of Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, and the 1st gen starters... I mean, this franchise has more than 700 Pokemon to date... and Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Lucario are all that they has to offer? That's it? 7 Pokemon out of 700+ Pokemon and we are still playing with them since 2001 and 2008... nothing new in 2014? There's a reason I don't get too excited about veterans coming back... it is like "oh, he/she/it is back... whoop dee doo" but with newcomers being confirmed, it is like "oh my gawd!!!! I cannot believe he/she/it actually (or finally) got in!!! Can't wait to try him/her/it out!!!"

James92

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jgrim92
As long as Mewtwo makes it in, I don't care what other pokemon are in.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, Brawl + Mewtwo for Pokémon is enough to tie me over forever. I mean, it's not Sakurai's fault Game Freak hasn't been pushing for anything besides mega evolutions for three already playable Pokémons. I'd rather have those than random characters like Pangoro or Sylveon who are flavor of the week, thus can't be interesting for 5 years, while the Kanto starters, Mewtwo and Lucario have all passed the test of time. Even Pokémon as a franchise has its all-stars, it might have over 700 Pokémons, but only a handful of those are popular enough to have major roles outside their own franchise, and sadly we haven't had those kind of Pokémons for two generations now (Lucario is the most recent one.)

Just look at Jigglypuff, I might love it, but it sure creates for heated debates, exactly because it hasn't stood the test of time outside of Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom