• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
On page 2000, Half-Life 3 will be announced as a WiiU exclusive, introducing Gordon Freeman as the latest newcomer, with Chell as an unlockable semi-clone.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
On page 2000, Half-Life 3 will be announced as a WiiU exclusive, introducing Gordon Freeman as the latest newcomer, with Chell as an unlockable semi-clone.
So we'll reach 2k in April?

What, is there gonna be a massive crash that will slow us the crap own that we won't make it in the next few days or something?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well, I have a question, what can make Ridley really unique?
Because I think fire projectiles and the ability to fly are not unique :/
To me Ridley would be like Charizard but instead of Rock Smash he would have a grab like Bowser XD
Any ideas?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
To me Ridley would be like Charizard but instead of Rock Smash he would have a grab like Bowser XD
Any ideas?
Give him the ability to stay airborne for longer time than usual. For such thing, his aerials should be very effective at both hitting the opponent and dealing loads of damage. With a machine-gun like Fire Spit, he could also raid the ground from above. I dunno, be creative, man.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Any ideas?
Flying isn't unique. However, they can easily make something in his flying ability unique. I can honestly think of nothing other than the "air grabs" people talked of, but that's all I can think of. I'm sure if Sakurai wanted to do something cool and unique he would come up with it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Any ideas?
Ridley has the capability to be the first aerially-inclined heavy character. He would be very sluggish and very much a target on the ground, but lightning fast and very deadly in the air.. He would also be the first character to have a flying grab (as in, he can actually fly with someone in tow), as well as the new largest character in the roster. His spear-like tail also gives him the capability for Mewtwo-esque space control and staggering range on his attacks.

Of course, for all of those advantages, Ridley is still very large and likely wouldn't be as heavy as characters like Bowser or DeDeDe since his size is more attributed to his strange proportions rather than his bulk. These two qualities would make him a difficult character to master, but the reward would be tenfold because of his terrific recovery-gimping abilities and amazing air game. He would be a character that would have unreal offensive (and defensive, if we're talking recovery) capabilities in his element, but suffer from various weaknesses outside of it that would ultimately balance the character and make him much harder to use than a simple character like Mario (essentially making him a super-buff and actually-cool Jigglypuff).

Beyond all of that, Ridley is also another character that walks on all-fours, which we have very few of in the roster, and those that do are in the small-kindasmall category. Ridley would be the first large quadruped. He's also the only "big" villain, along with K. Rool, that hasn't been represented yet, despite the fact that Metroid and Donkey Kong are both very large, popular, and profitable franchises, and have been with Nintendo for a very long time while still continuing to churn out great games.

Besides the fact that they're both dragons that breathe fire (or plasma, in Ridley's case), Charizard and Ridley have very little in common.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well on the topic of Pokemon, I think its fairly obvious that Mewtwo is likely to return with Red, Lucario, and Jigglypuff. It's just not a complete lock. Though after Mewtwo, I would say that Zoroark is one of the more likely choices. It's still a popular Pokemon and has enough to offer as an interesting fighter. But for all we know maybe some other dark horse candidate we aren't even thinking of could be in Smash 4. I kind of doubt that though.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Ridley has the capability to be the first aerially-inclined heavy character. He would be very sluggish and very much a target on the ground, but lightning fast and very deadly in the air.. He would also be the first character to have a flying grab, as well as the new largest character in the roster. His spear-like tail also gives him the capability for Mewtwo-esque space control and staggering range on his attacks.

Of course, for all of those advantages, Ridley is still very large and likely wouldn't be as heavy as characters like Bowser or DeDeDe since his size is more attributed to his strange proportions rather than his bulk. This, coupled with his huge target-status would make him a difficult character to master, but the reward would be tenfold because of his terrific recovery-gimping abilities. He would be a character that would have unreal offensive (and defensive, if we're talking recovery) capabilities in his element, but suffer from various weaknesses outside of it that would ultimately balance the character and make him much harder to use than a simple character like Mario.

Beyond all of that, Ridley is also another character that walks on all-fours, which we have very few of in the roster, and those that do are in the small-kindasmall category. Ridley would be the first large quadruped. He's also the only "big" villain, along with K. Rool, that hasn't been represented yet, despite the fact that Metroid and Donkey Kong are both very large, popular, and profitable franchises.

Besides the fact that they're both dragons that breathe fire (or plasma, in Ridley's case), Charizard and Ridley have very little in common.
Well, that's a little better.
But, I don't understand what is the cool thing about the "aerial grab" , Bowser and Lucario can grab in the air.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
But, I don't understand what the cool thing about the "aerial grab" , Bowser and Lucario can grab in the air.
It's not just an aerial grab. Ridley would be able to fly with his opponent in tow (and subsequently throw them), albeit likely for a very short time, and there would have to be a way to punish it, like making him stall for a moment if you manage to break free of it. It would be a powerful and unique offensive tool, being able to throw someone from midair, especially if you managed to grab them while they were recovering.

Bowser and Lucario's midair grabs have the exact same effect that they do on the ground, it's not really the same thing.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Well on the topic of Pokemon, I think its fairly obvious that Mewtwo is likely to return with Red, Lucario, and Jigglypuff. It's just not a complete lock. Though after Mewtwo, I would say that Zoroark is one of the more likely choices. It's still a popular Pokemon and has enough to offer as an interesting fighter. But for all we know maybe some other dark horse candidate we aren't even thinking of could be in Smash 4. I kind of doubt that though.
I don't know, I am still waiting on Meowth. One of these days he will realize he missed him... maybe. :sadeyes:

Gune

Smash Lord
It's not just an aerial grab. Ridley would be able to fly with his opponent in tow (and subsequently throw them), albeit likely for a very short time, and there would have to be a way to punish it, like making him stall for a moment if you manage to break free of it. It would be a powerful and unique offensive tool, being able to throw someone from midair, especially if you managed to grab them while they were recovering.

Bowser and Lucario's midair grabs have the exact same effect that they do on the ground, it's not really the same thing.
Actually PM Lucario's mid air grab spikes the opponent, but while on the ground it just knocks the opponent away.

Gune

Smash Lord
I know, but I tend to not bring up P:M unless it's mentioned, lest we start another "Why P:M sucks/doesn't suck" fight.
Oh if you werent talking PM, then Lucario doesent even have a mid air grab. :laugh:
How are Project M's mechanics even relevant?
I thought he was talking about PM becuase he said Lucarios mid air grab he doesent have one in brawl.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Anybody who thinks Project M is relevant (like legitimately while making a point about Smash Wii U/3DS) is probably not thinking straight.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well. Alright, fresh off the processing line, here's Palutena's moveset video:

So what're we talking about? Pokemon? "Insert Mewtwo talk here" :p

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Anybody who thinks Project M is relevant (like legitimately while making a point about Smash Wii U/3DS) is probably not thinking straight.
It might be relevant.

I'm sure Sakurai watches Project M videos and thinks "HA, game with balance and patches. Obviously they don't have enough random." He of course then swings his huge armchair back around and pets his cat while he laughs maniacally. Just some speculation though.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well. Alright, fresh off the processing line, here's Palutena's moveset video:

So what're we talking about? Pokemon? "Insert Mewtwo talk here" :p
Da-da-damn. That's a pretty darn good moveset. I can't wait to see what you'll do for Robin.

Okay, this isn't a type of discussion, but I do want to know: what is the number one character each of you want? (That actually have an okay chance)

I'll go first. Mine is a tie between Palutena and Robin.

Morbi

Scavenger
It might be relevant.

I'm sure Sakurai watches Project M videos and thinks "HA, game with balance and patches. Obviously they don't have enough random." He of course then swings his huge armchair back around and pets his cat while he laughs maniacally. Just some speculation though.
I highly doubt he incorporates elements of a fan-made mod of his game into his game. I know that you are just joking, but the point still stands. It doesn't really have anything to do with Smash 4. :shades:

Edit- @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous define "okay chance".

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Da-da-damn. That's a pretty darn good moveset. I can't wait to see what you'll do for Robin.

Okay, this isn't a type of discussion, but I do want to know: what is the number one character each of you want? (That actually have an okay chance)

Well, I'd say Mewtwo, but she's overall very very likely, so it seems like kind of a waste. So I'll say Ridley, because at least he has somewhat of a chance of not being included into the game.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley. There is no one else I would rather have. Mewtwo is my second-most-wanted, but I would gladly throw him under the bus for Ridley.

Well, I'd say Mewtwo, but she's overall very very likely,
wut

Gune

Smash Lord

Megaman.
Mewtwo doesn't have a gender so you can call it him/her
Nu-uh after that last movie Femtwo is now a thing.

Morbi

Scavenger

I will just go with Tingle, he has a decent chance. Sakurai has already expressed interest in including more Zelda related characters and if Phantom is an assist trophy, he is treating the franchise properly. Tingle is the most feasible option that pertains to Zelda without resorting to replacements or clones. Vaati is his only real competition. Tingle has notoriety in the West, and no publicity is bad publicity. Tingle has favorable reception in the East where Sora Ltd. is stationed. Tingle also has his own spin-off series, that couldn't hurt. While not entirely successful, the developers obviously felt like he was a viable character for the spin-off series. He is a prevalent, reoccurring character, I am not entirely sure if this is significant, but it couldn't hurt. Lastly, he has an adequate amount of Smash relevance. Appearing as a back-ground character in Melee and an assist trophy (next best thing to playable) in Brawl. I believe that his time couldn't be more apparent. He is my most wanted/expected Newcomer whilst retaining an element of surprise. I do not think a lot of people are expecting our favorite little pedophile to make an appearance.

Reznor

work in progress

Bandana Dee

Nu-uh after that last movie Femtwo is now a thing.
I don't watch the movies anymore how did they give Mewtwo a gender?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
In the latest pokemon movie, Mewtwo is shown to be more feminine, not to mention that voice is clearly female, so yeah, I called it a female. :p Not to mention I kind of like that voice, very soothing for a creature who can literally destroy the world with its mind and create world-ending storms by flinging its wrist around.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don't watch the movies anymore how did they give Mewtwo a gender?
They made another one without an explanation. Basically turned a one-of-a-kind creature into "oh hey yeah we made another one".

Oh, and it was a girl because I guess Ytwo is too feminine-looking to have a man voice.

Morbi

Scavenger
So Unknown Gender Pokemon can have feminine and male voices? O_O
Yes, in the same way that a hermaphrodite can have a feminine voice or a masculine voice. Voices aren't gender-based. Mewtwo is an exception I suppose as it is physic, so it knows how to communicate with language relate-able to humans. I mean an unknown gender Pokemon would probably just growl, I mean I can't tell if a dog/cat is male or female based on their voices. Well, I can with my cat personally as it has a really gruff meow.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So Unknown Gender Pokemon can have feminine and male voices? O_O
The Mewtwo, which is the one that was playable in Melee, has a male voice. There is only one Mewtwo, and thus, the one Mewtwo has a male voice.

The "female" Mewtwo is from the anime, and, as such, is non-canon. We don't know if Unknown Gender Pokemon have different voices because the only canon Unknown Gender Pokemon we've heard speak is Mewtwo. Of course, if you're talking anime canon, then sure, why not, because it's the anime and it does whatever the **** it wants.

Reznor

work in progress
so if Mewtwo gets in Smash 4 would you guys want a female voice or a male one

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
In the latest pokemon movie, Mewtwo is shown to be more feminine, not to mention that voice is clearly female, so yeah, I called it a female. :p Not to mention I kind of like that voice, very soothing for a creature who can literally destroy the world with its mind and create world-ending storms by flinging its wrist around.
God... I hope they don't do the stupidity to give him a female voice if hes in.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I can't stress how stupid this is.
Not your post, the fact that MewTwo is feminine.

Now I have nothing against chicks, but it's the fact that Mewtwo is already a character in the anime and is established as a "male" Pokémon.
Mewtwo' backstory in the anime is that he was made in a lab as the world's strongest Pokémon.
And now they decided to make ANOTHER Mewtwo an destroy everything canon.
They probably did this for the sole purpose of the anime's audience now being younger children, who weren't alive or watching the show when the original movie came out, AND WE CANT HAVE THE BABIES NOT UNDERSTANDING A CERY SMALL PLOT ELEMENT, CAN WE?!

Anyways, on the subject of a Pokémon newcomer besides Mewtwo, I would want Bidoof, Meowth, or May (Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken) in that order.

But for prediction, I would predict a Unova rep, either Genesect, Victini, or Zoruark in that order, or Meowth.

Any my thoughts on Ridley?
I have stated numerous times that Sakurai is looking for very unique charcters, but just like Dedede and Meta Knight were exceptions to the way he was picking recent characters for Brawl, Ridley could be an exemption to SSB4's most unique rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom