• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'd genuinely rather have generation 1 only for Pokemon
To be honest, I feel the same way, though I don't tend to voice my opinions on the matter for fear of being labelled an elitist, a 'genwunner' or a nostalgic fool.

The first gen quite simply has the most recognizable Pokemon and in my opinion, the ones with the greatest 'star power' so to speak. Pikachu, Raichu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, the starters, Meowth, Eevee, Snorlax (not that I'm suggesting he'd be viable), Rhydon, Missingno (hyuk hyuk hyuk), the Legendary Birds, Dragonite - the list goes on.

But then, I also think Rhydon would make a great and deserving playable character in Smash, so disregard my opinion i suk dix

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
so the topic is pokemon?
all I care about is Pikachu and red (including gen 1 starters)
as long as red makes it back I couldn't care about anyone else, though i'll prefer if jigglypuff and lucario return as well

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The outrage and butthurt will flow throughout Smash fans everywhere if Mewtwo doesn't come back.

Mewtwo essentially IS a mascot of Gen 6, so that generation got screwed. Gen 5 was a failed Zoroark, as Lucario continued to out perform it.

So no. Game Freak tried getting another new Pokémon. But since then, they went back to the tried and true Pokémon. Considering Sakurai said, "We're thinking about it" when asked about Mewtwo, I quite honestly take that as an indication that Mewtwo is likely back.

Genesect is a one and done legendary that isn't really popular. If Meowth were to get in, it should have been long ago. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't done anything new to merit inclusion in Smash Bros. I could see a different Mega Evolution besides Mewtwo, but then again, I don't. That's because Mewtwo was the marketed Mega Evolution for X & Y.

Mewtwo or bust for me. I'd be content with new characters in other areas of the game.

Morbi

Scavenger
The outrage and butthurt will flow throughout Smash fans everywhere if Mewtwo doesn't come back.

Mewtwo essentially IS a mascot of Gen 6, so that generation got screwed. Gen 5 was a failed Zoroark, as Lucario continued to out perform it.

So no. Game Freak tried getting another new Pokémon. But since then, they went back to the tried and true Pokémon. Considering Sakurai said, "We're thinking about it" when asked about Mewtwo, I quite honestly take that as an indication that Mewtwo is likely back.

Genesect is a one and done legendary that isn't really popular. If Meowth were to get in, it should have been long ago. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't done anything new to merit inclusion in Smash Bros. I could see a different Mega Evolution besides Mewtwo, but then again, I don't. That's because Mewtwo was the marketed Mega Evolution for X & Y.

Mewtwo or bust for me. I'd be content with new characters in other areas of the game.
Mewtwo is the only character that I would assert as a "lock" or "shoe-in", he literally has everything going for him and nothing going against him. I am sure that there will be outrage if he doesn't come back, but that is the thing, I am confident that he will come back. I mean, if he doesn't come back, I will promise to never return here again, and I will cut myself. :awesome:

Gune

Smash Lord
They aren't so bad... but I am getting bored of Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, and the 1st gen starters... I mean, this franchise has more than 700 Pokemon to date... and Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Lucario are all that they has to offer? That's it? 7 Pokemon out of 700+ Pokemon and we are still playing with them since 2001 and 2008... nothing new in 2014? There's a reason I don't get too excited about veterans coming back... it is like "oh, he/she/it is back... whoop dee doo" but with newcomers being confirmed, it is like "oh my gawd!!!! I cannot believe he/she/it actually (or finally) got in!!! Can't wait to try him/her/it out!!!"
Its not that they are all GF has to offer is just that they are the best they have to offer, its what the fans want and unless one of them falls off the pedastal that GF put them on I wouldn't expect anything new from pokemon except mega evo's.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The only new Pokemon I want at this point is MUCHAAAWLCHAAA!!

Other than that I'm happy with what we have. After all, we've got my favorite Pokemon, Lucario, already, so all we need is Mewtwo, who is a lock anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger
Zoroark has something really going for him in terms of uniqueness. I think the Gen. 5 is outdated is Bull****. >_>
It honestly is a BS argument, Sakurai doesn't choose to represent generations like many would suggest. He chooses to represent Pokemon. I am not sure where people get these absurd notions. I mean, maybe I didn't read an article where he states that he likes to represent all generations of Pokemon. If that is the case, he has been doing a horrible job. Sadly Zoroark isn't really that popular of a Pokemon from the get-go. The persistence of time didn't really help make Zoroark more iconic, popular, or fun either.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You guys think a Pokemon newcomer is likely thanks to the Pokemon criteria stated by Sakurai last year?
Honestly no, the thing is there are no Pokemon that touch mewtwo or the Brawl bunch in terms of popularity and importance, all of them have mainstay status and unfortunately Gen 5 and 6 haven't had that one Pokemon that stands out.

As for Zoroark, it's problem isn't that its generation passed, it's that it didn't stand the test of time and was almost immediately replaced come B2W2. It's not really iconic or popular compared to the other candidates.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Zoroark didn't get too popular because people were fearful that Zoroark might replace Lucario in Smash so they decided to not popularize Zoroark... making the Pokemon Company think that Zoroark wasn't very popular and made Lucario relevant again to appease the fans.

Staarih

Smash Master
In a way I would like the Pokémon characters to be switched around, but then again the ones we have now are pretty much a solid group which just works. Add Mewtwo to the mix and it's pretty much a perfect Pokémon group. One could argue about Jigglypuff though, and even I find myself a little bored of the little thing sometimes, but she's been in every game so far so she's pretty much a staple at this point.

I wouldn't mind something completely new though, maybe even a human character. Something like a N + Zoroark combo would hit two birds with one stone really.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Zoroark didn't get too popular because people were fearful that Zoroark might replace Lucario in Smash so they decided to not popularize Zoroark... making the Pokemon Company think that Zoroark wasn't very popular and made Lucario relevant again to appease the fans.
Yeah, just look at Ike, his FE game may not have been popular, but he ended up being chosen in Brawl and now he's one the most used Brawl newcomers.
Zoroark could use this boost.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sometimes I feel that the Pokemon roster (Brawl + Mewtwo) are to appease the Smash fans and not the Pokemon fans... I mean, seriously... no 3rd gen Pokemon and no 5th gen Pokemon... not even 6th gen non-Mega Pokemon?

Morbi

Scavenger
Really, is that what you truly believe? :awesome:

In a way I would like the Pokémon characters to be switched around, but then again the ones we have now are pretty much a solid group which just works. Add Mewtwo to the mix and it's pretty much a perfect Pokémon group. One could argue about Jigglypuff though, and even I find myself a little bored of the little thing sometimes, but she's been in every game so far so she's pretty much a staple at this point.

I wouldn't mind something completely new though, maybe even a human character. Something like a N + Zoroark combo would hit two birds with one stone really.
If only Pokemon had more space on the roster. I am certain that Sakurai would feel inclined to add more Pokemon if the roster wasn't saturated with them. 7 Characters... that is more than Mario... the same as Brawl's potential Zelda characters. Hmmm. If only we had some way to clean up the roster and get some newcomers like Meowth and possibly Zoroark whilst refining Charizard so that he is more cohesive. Hmm. :pt::squirtle::ivysaur:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sometimes I feel that the Pokemon roster (Brawl + Mewtwo) are to appease the Smash fans and not the Pokemon fans... I mean, seriously... no 3rd gen Pokemon and no 5th gen Pokemon... not even 6th gen non-Mega Pokemon?
You're looking at it wrong.

Sakurai looks at the movies for insight. Mewtwo was in the latest movie. Game Freak and Nintendo are the ones consistently looking back at Generation 1.

It's not just Sakurai. It's everybody.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No, not really. GF pushed it heavily, it was in the movie, it was in merchandise, it even replaced Lucario on Smash, it just didn't catch on and other Pokemon (ex. the legendaries, starters) in its own generation and even Lucario himself later picked up the slack.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard... 7 Pokemon.... but God forbid we get a fifth sixth Mario character?

Gune

Smash Lord
Zoroark has something really going for him in terms of uniqueness. I think the Gen. 5 is outdated is Bull****. >_>
It is pretty valid GF wants to represent the newest thing Zoroak isnt that, even if sakurai asked to include him im sure GF could refuse to let Sakurai add Zoroark like when they withheld information with the the x/y release.
We're sorry we didnt mean to do it we were just scared.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You're looking at it wrong.

Sakurai looks at the movies for insight. Mewtwo was in the latest movie. Game Freak and Nintendo are the ones consistently looking back at Generation 1.

It's not just Sakurai. It's everybody.
I don't want to come ofF as arrogant, okay fine, I do. Generation One was the best, it is apparent that Game Freak, Nintendo, Sakurai, and the general fan-base all agree. Is that a bad thing? No, not in my opinion it isn't. If they are the most successful Pokemon, if they are the Pokemon that everyone actually want to play as, if these are the popular Pokemon... why not have them in Smash? It would be ignorant to choose different Pokemon just to appease to Pokemon fans that joined late as hell.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard... 7 Pokemon.... but God forbid we get a fifth sixth Mario character?
It's because Mario would have to get a second newcomer. The newcomer pool this time needs to be diverse. Not too focused on already well represented series.

Pokémon does have the most characters at this point. But Mewtwo is incredibly likely because of the popularity and recent appearances he has.

Reznor

work in progress
I don't want to come of as arrogant, okay fine, I do. Generation One was the best, it is apparent that Game Freak, Nintendo, Sakurai, and the general fan-base all agree. Is that a bad thing? No, not in my opinion it isn't. If they are the most successful Pokemon, if they are the Pokemon that everyone actually want to play as, if these are the popular Pokemon... why not have them in Smash? It would be ignorant to choose different Pokemon just to appease to Pokemon fans that joined late as hell.
gen 1 had so many bugs and broken mechanics but it's still one of the best :drwtf:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't want to come ofF as arrogant, okay fine, I do. Generation One was the best, it is apparent that Game Freak, Nintendo, Sakurai, and the general fan-base all agree. Is that a bad thing? No, not in my opinion it isn't. If they are the most successful Pokemon, if they are the Pokemon that everyone actually want to play as, if these are the popular Pokemon... why not have them in Smash? It would be ignorant to choose different Pokemon just to appease to Pokemon fans that joined late as hell.
Popularity-wise yes (though personally I prefer the other generations), and as much as I love Gen 5 and 6, I would not push for a character just because I want them represented, they have to be popular on their own. Lucario stands out because despite everything it became more just like its Gen 1 counterparts and unfortunately that's not the case for the other generations. They don't have that character and that does hold them back.

Reznor

work in progress
I personally think gen 2 was the best mostly because the legendary dogs and Lugia and the music.
I never understood why people like Lugia over Ho-oh :drsad:
also yes Gen 2 is by far the best Gen

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Zoraork, Blaziken, Greninja or another trainer are the most likely pokemon newcomers IMO.

WHERE IS MY OSHAWOTT?!
I know it's your opinion, but I would not in any case expect a brand new trainer. If you want a new trainer, then expect fewer newcomers because of the time spent on him/her.

Greninja, while awesome, bears no iconic appearances, and plays no importance to Pokémon as a whole.

This is where Mewtwo again beats basically everybody in most categories.

Plus the movie thing should put the nail in the coffin. But to each his own.

Gune

Smash Lord
Lugia has GIANT HAND WINGS he can literally Destroy your hand giving you a high five like a wailord body slamming a pikachu and aeroblast is one of my favorite legendary sig moves next to shadow force.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I know it's your opinion, but I would not in any case expect a brand new trainer. If you want a new trainer, then expect fewer newcomers because of the time spent on him/her.

Greninja, while awesome, bears no iconic appearances, and plays no importance to Pokémon as a whole.

This is where Mewtwo again beats basically everybody in most categories.

Plus the movie thing should put the nail in the coffin. But to each his own.
Yeah...you're right XD
We will probably have Mewtwo only.
But, I still want Oshawott :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am a Ho-Oh fan, my sister is the Lugia fan. Gen 2 essentially an expansion for Gen 1. So collectively, those are my favorite generations.

gen 1 had so many bugs and broken mechanics but it's still one of the best :drwtf:
Lets be real, no one cares.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If we ever get a Pokemon newcomer (if Mewtwo doesn't count), it's gotta be Meowth.

Also, we're getting close to the 2000th page... who'd get the lucky first post of said page...?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If we ever get a Pokemon newcomer (if Mewtwo doesn't count), it's gotta be Meowth.

Also, we're getting close to the 2000th page... who'd get the lucky first post of said page...?

IT SHOULD BE ME CUZ I'M TEH THREAD OWNER.

Or if we're lucky, it will be either a Ridley argument, or an obscure character nobody wants to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom