• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Let's see... me and my brother got 3D World, Spirit Tracks, Pikmin 3, a Pro Controller, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Nintendo Land and the new Pac-Man game. 3D World is slowly becoming my favorite game.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
In all seriousness though, I've yet to see dad, so I can only hope for 3D World, Lost World, and E-Shop cash so I can buy the Duel Destinies DLC.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai could've decided the cuts already at this point. Which means, anything can still happen. Only will say that the extremely likely chars as: Ness, C.Falcon, Diddy, Wario, MK, DDD and Yoshi should be considered 100% safe. Others are also still highly likely of course, but wouldn't call the more obscure characters 100% safe yet, cause they aren't.
Hyrule Warriors has Young Impa. And playable, most likely.
However until Sakurai says something different, I would also consider any One Representant series(Retro series are included as they only count one representant) save if not cut because of technical problems. Sakurai hasn't cut a single franchise with his cuts but only characters from already counting at least 2 representants and he hasn't cut more than one character from the same series. I feel like this seems a good criteria for characters. You just can't cut a character from a series that would by the cut also disappear from the SSB4 roster. And 2 cuts on the same franchise would make the fans upset as they "suffer" of two cuts while other franchises haven't a single cut. Hope you get my point.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Honestly, I think everyone is forgetting the fact that Zelda already has 5 characters and Pokemon has 6.
Technically.
Techinally, but Sakurai doesn't really give a **** how many characters a franchise "TECHNICALLY" has. Otherwise he wouldn't have tried to add Toon Zelda to catch up with Mario and Pokemon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you don't want it, send it over here. I'll send you my adress and other details. :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
. And 2 cuts on the same franchise would make the fans upset as they "suffer" of two cuts while other franchises haven't a single cut. Hope you get my point.

This basically happened when they cut Pichu and Mewtwo.
But otherwise, it's a good criteria that I think it's safe to follow.

I consider every Brawl character to return until it is otherwise proven or announced.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pokémon Trainer basically is 3 characters though, so 2 where cut, and 4 where added, with Mewtwo still being planned.

THIS DOES MEAN THAT...

If there are gonna be cuts, it's probable that Zelda could be a series that is getting cuts this time. And, Impa bias aside for myself right now... Let's look at it objectively. With Toon Link being confirmed, do you really think they would cut Zelda or Ganondorf but not Sheik?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
So what is this possible announcement tomrorow everyone is talking about?

Anyway, if like to point out that it seems that every newcomer announced so far, has had every returning veteran from their series confirmed before they are announced.

WFT, Villager, and Mega Man are from theirs own new series, and Rosalina was announced after Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser were announced before she was announced.
Though it is possible Dr. Mario MAY break this, but it is unlikely, and Melee returners may count as Newcomers.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really doubt Sakurai will go out of his way to re-introduce Melee clones.

I see him bringing back Mewtwo because he was unique, and I see him adding at most one last-minute semi-clone to fill up space. I even see him decloning Brawl clones further apart from their source material.
But I definitely don't see him bringing back any of the Melee clones, let alone giving them a new moveset.

I still believe his priorities go to:
Unique movesets and New series > Returning Brawl characters > Everything else.

Doc: Costume
Pichu: Pokemon Company won't allow it. They'd want someone more relevant instead.
Y.Link: There's Toon Link
Roy: Intelligent Systems may want someone else (more relevant, more popular, more unique, etc) Heck, they may even want someone NOT from F.E. this time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Looking great man! I'd pick one of the 2 M&M cookies cause I'm a greedy ******* like that :)

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
How does this correalate? @.@
Well i think in them as fire emblem on melee, nintendo frachises with a great support that needs a tiny smash push to be nintendo best sellers.

The series that fit in the category are starfy, rhythm heaven, nintendo wars and lastly custom robo. I also include chibi robo in this category, even with only 3 titles i think he fits. Nintendog and the academy series are also another ones but i dont think they are likely.
Sadly we already have wii fit and animal croosing, we also have punch out and xenoblade waiting, so is plausible to not have any of this series representation, but anyways, i think they deserve it and is needed.

Rhythm Heaven looks like the most popular and succsefull of them, but i was choosing starfy for being more iconic and a GBA classic.
Now that he is not, karate joe should takes the lead followed by chibi robo, but it really all depends on what nintendo is plaining to do with those games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We couldn't see Mewtwo getting cut earlier either could we.

Fact remains: If there's gonna be a character cut from the Zelda series, it's Sheik.
Hmm... But wasn't he cut due to time constraints or something? Not on purpose. :/

Well, I suppose so at this point of time... :/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Wrestler must be the Rhythm Heaven character. No excuses.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
This basically happened when they cut Pichu and Mewtwo.
But otherwise, it's a good criteria that I think it's safe to follow.

I consider every Brawl character to return until it is otherwise proven or announced.
however they gave the franchise two new characters instead ;)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Merry Christmas everyone! I'm sorry to Starfy supporters but I must say I'm not too sad to see him deconfirmed.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
He already did.
3 out of 4 newcomers are from unrepresented series so far.

(And Rosalina is basically from a new subseries of the Mario franchise)
My point was why would he JUST add them because they were from a new series and that fact alone. Yet judging from what Sakurai said so far, they were added for uniqueness rather than the former. At best, the former was a PLUS for their higher priority.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
My point was why would he JUST add them because they were from a new series and that fact alone. Yet judging from what Sakurai said so far, they were added for uniqueness rather than the former. At best, the former was a PLUS for their higher priority.
It all depends on what Sakurai makes out of the characters from new series he wants to implement. He could easily put in three new franchises with swordsmen being one a clone or semi-clone of the other. However he could use the same three characters from three new series while making them unique in the roster. The only difference is that he has to spend more time into creating a unique moveset. As for now it looks like Sakurai puts the focus on newcomers with unique movesets and I hope for SSB4 he will continue this way. I even prefer less newcomer if they are at least very unique.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
So what is this possible announcement tomrorow everyone is talking about?

Anyway, if like to point out that it seems that every newcomer announced so far, has had every returning veteran from their series confirmed before they are announced.

WFT, Villager, and Mega Man are from theirs own new series, and Rosalina was announced after Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser were announced before she was announced.
Though it is possible Dr. Mario MAY break this, but it is unlikely, and Melee returners may count as Newcomers.
I asked a question at the begining of this.
Can someone answer?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

New series brings uniqueness as well. They almost go hand to hand together.
There's only so much one can use from Fire Emblem, Mario, and Zelda that hasn't already been done.
Yet bringing unique new franchises, and trying to translate their playstyles into SSB gameplay brings a lot of freshness to the game.

This is what Sakurai seems to be going for. Not to say we won't see the occasional veteran series get a new character (like Rosalina), or the ocassional new basic moveset (Toon Link.. just to name an example since there aren't any newcomers to fit this criteria yet, but TLink could've played differently), but so far... Priority seems to go to new series and uniqueness first, and mostly, together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom