• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
nevermind hes trolling. Would have been funnier if he wasn't. I wanted to see his reaction when he found out it wasn't a rumor.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
What do you think about the combos in the Sonic and Rosalina trailers?
Do you think they are combos or just that the character is hitting a level 1 CPU? XD
Honestly we should just play the game whenever we get the chance, otherwise there is no way to tell the combos shown are legit or not. (Hopefully they are)

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Well... Wii Fit Trainer should have had people rethink possibilities.
Well I mean of course, but then people logic'd that out by saying, "Oh she is a high selling Wii series, so that makes sense I guess." Rosalina came in and became a 5th Mario character over other Mario characters deemed much more likely. That's what should cause a mass reevaluation.

I really think, and I'll probably be burned at the stake for this, that Cranky and Dixie are more likely than K. Rool at this point. Hell I'm even thinking Ridley not being included isn't so farfetched (even if he is the most "deserving" 2nd Metroid character, whatever "deserving" means anyway, it's purely a subjective term in the first place).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That she's being pushed as the new mainstream Mario character these days. Why can't it be that? Did you also consider that we're short on characters that are new post Brawl? Our only real options were Shulk, Chrom, Rosalina, Matthew, Alph, and Genesect. And a lot of these characters are either not too popular or simply problematic in terms of implementing and representing.
Or, you know, gameplay.

She's not screaming "Look at me I'm the new cool cat on the block", she's more saying "Hey look at these neat tricks I can do with a Luma". If she's trying to fill in some imaginary criteria of being included because of being new, then she already failed horribly since we already have Wii Fit Trainer.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Or, you know, gameplay.

She's not screaming "Look at me I'm the new cool cat on the block", she's more saying "Hey look at these neat tricks I can do with a Luma". If she's trying to fill in some imaginary criteria of being included because of being new, then she already failed horribly since we already have Wii Fit Trainer.
Yup, if you can't offer anything new, you can't be a character. :awesome:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So, let's say every character has 1 alternate costume.
*It could be a different character (for example, Protoman over Mega Man)
*Or the same character in a different outfit (for example, Classic Wario over Biker Wario, or Outset Island Link over Toon Link.)

Who would these charcaters have:

Dr. Mario
Pichu
Roy
Toon Link
Young Link
Rosalina

Just a little game I made up, I might make it a full forum game.

Why is her power-up color black?
Is it because of that Black Luma she has in Galaxy?
I don't really get it.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I do like the way Sakurai is taking the roster. To date, we've had four newcomers revealed that are all unique and enjoyable in their own way however, out of the four, only one was deemed likely and that was Mega Man. No one guessed Ms. Fit, Villager was considered discounted due to Sakurai's previous comments, and Rosalina, while considered, was often shelved for other Mario reps such as Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, and Paper Mario. It seems to me that Sakurai is focusing on introducing unique and enjoyable yet unlikely characters as opposed to ones that are expected. I am really enjoying this actually. I like the idea of giving lesser characters a chance to shine.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally, I do like the way Sakurai is taking the roster. To date, we've had four newcomers revealed that are all unique and enjoyable in their own way however, out of the four, only one was deemed likely and that was Mega Man. No one guessed Ms. Fit, Villager was considered discounted due to Sakurai's previous comments, and Rosalina, while considered, was often shelved for other Mario reps such as Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, and Paper Mario. It seems to me that Sakurai is focusing on introducing unique and enjoyable yet unlikely characters as opposed to ones that are expected. I am really enjoying this actually. I like the idea of giving lesser characters a chance to shine.
Inb4 everyone will join the popular Smashboards trend.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
*Or the same character in a different outfit (for example, Classic Wario over Biker Wario, or Outset Island Link over Toon Link.)

Dr. Mario
Pichu
Roy
Toon Link
Young Link
Rosalina

Just a little game I made up, I might make it a full forum game.
Roy - Awakening costume, but changed a little to fit his younger FE6 build.

Toon Link - Outset costume from the beginning of the game.

Pichu - Ukelele from Pokemon Ranger 3?

----

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So since he is not choosing likely or often predicted charcters, this entire thread means nothing in actuality.

I really don't understand Sakurai's logic.
Apparently he face palms at the idea of Reggie.
I guess this is what goes on at Nintendo HQ:

Reggie: Hey Mashahiro, a lot of people are starting to like me, and Mr. Iwata seems to be advertising my "Body is Ready" line, so could you put me in Super Smash Bros. For WiiU and 3DS?

Sakurai: No Reggie! That's such a stupid idea! Your a real person! Who would want to play as such a weird choice like you! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to program Wii Fit Trainer!

EDIT: i get really nervous when moderators are viewing but not saying anything. I feel like I can't say anything that might sound stupid, while in my mind I'm like this:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Or, you know, gameplay.
Or, you know, variety. Which includes gameplay, but is not limited to it like you suggest.

She's not screaming "Look at me I'm the new cool cat on the block"
She kind of is...

she's more saying "Hey look at these neat tricks I can do with a Luma".
What she's more saying is opinion.

If she's trying to fill in some imaginary criteria of being included because of being new
I lol'd!!!

then she already failed horribly since we already have Wii Fit Trainer.
Yeah, Lucario failed horribly in being the new hot character since we already had Lucas.

I knew once Rosalina was revealed everyone would try to connect it and with and limit it to the first pre-existing Smashboards criteria they could think of.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

Dr. Mario
Pichu
Roy
Toon Link
Young Link
Rosalina
Dr. Mario - Mario
Pichu - Nothing. It's like playing as Pichu but you're invisible.
Roy - Pokemon Trainer with a fishing rod
Toon Link - Young Link
Young Link - Toon Link
Rosalina - Palutena
:troll:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I personally think it would be cool is Sakurai
[collapse=Link Between Worlds Spoilers]
makes the Zelda Triforce Trio have thir Lorulean counterparts as alternate costumes.

Yuga for Ganondorf (and Yuga Ganon over Ganon if he is a tranformationlike I hope)
Hilda for Zelda
And Ravio for Link (with his bunny mask)
[/collapse]

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Dr. Mario
Pichu
Roy
Toon Link
Young Link
Rosalina
I personally would make it like this:
Dr. Mario - Dr. Luigi
Pichu - Dedenene (probably messed up the spelling)
Roy - Awakening Armor
Toon Link - Ouset Island Link
Young Link - Classic, LTTP or LBW Link
Rosalina - Luba (it the floatiness can counteract his heavy wheight).

Maybe we can just have this guy as a Toon Link alt and call it a day.
image.jpg

KING OF RED LIONS INCLUDED!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well I mean of course, but then people logic'd that out by saying, "Oh she is a high selling Wii series, so that makes sense I guess." Rosalina came in and became a 5th Mario character over other Mario characters deemed much more likely. That's what should cause a mass reevaluation.

I really think, and I'll probably be burned at the stake for this, that Cranky and Dixie are more likely than K. Rool at this point. Hell I'm even thinking Ridley not being included isn't so farfetched (even if he is the most "deserving" 2nd Metroid character, whatever "deserving" means anyway, it's purely a subjective term in the first place).
You're right in that a re-evaluation may be up for discussion, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all candidates deemed "likely" are going to be completely swept under the rug. Megaman already shows that "likely" characters are still being considered.

What we need to do is reconsider what makes a character unique as we've discussed every other angle except for that area and because of that we missed Rosalina and what she offered over Toad and Bowser Jr., and other newcomers we overlooked can possibly fall into that area. Having said that, lets also not ignore what the "likely" candidates can offer as well, King K. Rool is hardly that cookie-cutter a character for instance and has his own repertoire to offer to the series as much as Dixie or Cranky Kong. He can stand out in that same sense and due to that he does have good reason to still be considered despite his supposed irrelevancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom