• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
New topic:
So how bout Cranky Kong's chances? :awesome:
Have they risen or not?
No, his chances have no correlation to Rosalina. However, many will believe that his chances have risen as Sakurai decided to pick an unimportant Mario character over many more ideal choices. Saturn said it best. Mario is Mario; it doesn't really matter who he adds as it will be perceived as an adequate addition. Mario is the most important Nintendo franchise and it doesn't matter who gets in as long as somebody does. Donkey Kong is slightly different. One could assert that they are pushing the notion of Cranky to extremities; however, he has some competition from Dixie. She is the Toad of Donkey Kong in my opinion; so Cranky could be like Rosalina and steal it away from her. I do not think it is too likely though (because he planned for Dixie prior to Smash 4 and she isn't part of a move-set).

Keep in mind I would prefer K. Rool and I actually think Dixie's chances are inflated. The notion I am trying to convey is that Mario isn't Donkey Kong, so the comparison is slightly flawed (even though both characters share similar circumstances).

I really hope Cranky is next though.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
New topic:
So how bout Cranky Kong's chances? :awesome:
Have they risen or not?
Chances never change actually, not in that way at least... is all about if you can perceive them or not.

And i think he indeed have strong chances, maybe no over dixie but who knows (not that i think we are going to have a new DK rep though).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I hope Cranky doesn't get in over Dixie or K. Rool. I like the character but not enough to want him playable :/

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
@Zero2570
The ferocious space pirate making friends with a peppy pink puffball and attending at a tea party? I'd say you're far too much creative XD
Nah I ripped that off from brawl's emissary. Morbid put me on the spot and I couldn't think of anything :p

But seriously tho kirby makes trailers better.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Cranky Kong in Smash is just as laughable now as it was before he made a playable appearance in a Donkey Kong game.

Morbi

Scavenger
I hope Cranky doesn't get in over Dixie or K. Rool. I like the character but not enough to want him playable :/
That is what I thought about Rosalina; however, I was pleasantly surprised. I still think he fits the role of an assist trophy slightly better than Rosalina would have though. I am not betting on Cranky; it is most likely going to come down to K. Rool and Dixie.

The approach Nintendo took with Rosalina was entirely different from the approach they took with Cranky. Rosalina was a side-note and Sakurai alluded to it constantly. Cranky was shoved in our face and as far as I am aware, Sakurai never even acknowledged his reveal with anything (like a DK picture or a mention on Twitter).

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Ridley would be boss. Here's a move set I invented for him a little while ago.
B-Fireball-Could It be more obvious? Ridley shoots a fireball that get smaller if you use them consecutively.
Over B-Vital Rend-Ridley dashes forward and if he grabs you, he scrapes you along the ground, dealing more damage the higher your weight is. In midair, he would dive straight down and bury you on contact with the ground. Also good for Ridley-cide:awesome:
Down B-Outrage-Ridley spits out a limited range "wave" of fire. The more damage Ridley has, the more effective it is. Can reach OHKO potential
Up B-Vulture Twist-Ridley spins upward, generating a semi-powerful vacuum, dealing more damage to lighter characters.
Final Smash-Ground Zero-Ridley grabs the opponent and proceeds to deliver a FEROCIOUS beating. It ends with the character being sent off. You have to tap the A button in time with the hits to increase damage. The more accurate your button presses, the more powerful the finishing blow, can reach OHKO potential.

Ridley CANNOT use his Brawl model or any variation thereof. It sucked, to be blunt.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Maybe Roselina got in because she provided something different and Sakurai wanted the developers to implement it.

Weird concept that a character gets in because of gameplay, I know.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Oh dear, Peach's tea party from Brawl. I completely forgot the most WTF moment from the Subspace Emissary.
But still, we're speaking about Ridley. He is less civilized than Peach, Fox or Sheik. Though now I can't wait to see him sipping some tea in a pink cup.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I dunno cranky kong sounds "expand dong" worthy, also he would bring so much salt, i'd actually want it to happen. Then i can have an excuse to post the gif's i've been saving.

But K. Rool would be the best choice though, but sakurai tho....

Morbi

Scavenger
This ain't right...
I sense no butthurt...
Seriously, what the hell? Everyone is ACTUALLY hyped again?
What the hell happened?
Saturn was correct; any Mario reveal would suffice.

If someone told me that Rosalina was to be revealed during the Direct; I would honestly fear the reactions I expected to see. No one is salty; everyone is content. It is quite strange considering the notion that she was one of the worst choices. I honestly thought more people would treat her like Wii Fit Trainer.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This ain't right...
I sense no butthurt...
Seriously, what the hell? Everyone is ACTUALLY hyped again?
What the hell happened?
Very few are butthurt, a few are in the mid-range, some are excited, and the rest are hyped beyond hyped.

I swear this thread goes through so many mood swings....

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Oh dear, Peach's tea party from Brawl. I completely forgot the most WTF moment from the Subspace Emissary.
But still, we're speaking about Ridley. He is less civilized than Peach, Fox or Sheik. Though now I can't wait to see him sipping some tea in a pink cup.
this badly drawn pic says otherwise :D

Reznor

work in progress
If Cranky gets in most if not all his moves should be throwing barrels

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
No comment on my move set for Ridley? Aw.... But, I guess that's OK, considering I got a like. I'd still like a comment though...:(

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
That is what I thought about Rosalina; however, I was pleasantly surprised. I still think he fits the role of an assist trophy slightly better than Rosalina would have though. I am not betting on Cranky; it is most likely going to come down to K. Rool and Dixie.

The approach Nintendo took with Rosalina was entirely different from the approach they took with Cranky. Rosalina was a side-note and Sakurai alluded to it constantly. Cranky was shoved in our face and as far as I am aware, Sakurai never even acknowledged his reveal with anything (like a DK picture or a mention on Twitter).
The problem with Cranky is he has Competition, that is a necessities to the series rather than, another unique character for the series since, we already got the important ones.
Mario had all the important characters in, Hero, Sidekick, Villain, and Femme Fatale and now the new character, Rosalina who fits the role as a character that got in, but the series would still be considered complete without her. I love her inclusion though.
Donkey Kong has only the Hero and Sidekick it needs it's villain and Femme Fatale, K. Rool and Dixie, before we could have the extra character Cranky we need the other 2 who are more integral for the series.

Morbi

Scavenger
The problem with Cranky is he has Competition, that is a necessities to the series rather than, another unique character for the series since, we already got the important ones.
Mario had all the important characters in, Hero, Sidekick, Villain, and Femme Fatale and now the new character, Rosalina who fits the role as a character that got in, but the series would still be considered complete without her. I love her inclusion though.
Donkey Kong has only the Hero and Sidekick it needs it's villain and Femme Fatale, K. Rool and Dixie, before we could have the extra character Cranky we need the other 2 who are more integral for the series.
I was going to say something to that effect; but I really feel like Toad is an essential at this point. Rosalina beat a necessary in my opinion, so I didn't throw that notion out there as it would be hypocritical. I do agree though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I do find it bizarre how nobody actually talks from the prospective of gameplay. It's always sales, popularity, or relevance. But people forget what has to be the most fundamental thing in the whole equation. Gameplay. We play a video game, so naturally the best way to show the strengths of a character is to demonstrate why they are good. I mean sure people know about stuff like Mario and Link, but ultimately the reason why you would play as a character is how they play out.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
If Cranky gets in most if not all his moves should be throwing barrels
That would definitely be a throw back. I can see him using his cane or possibly Sqwaucks (sp?). I do like the character. I fondly remember his commentary on the first SNES game booklet. I miss those days.

But I personally don't want him playable when we have two unique and amazing characters that should have been in the game years before. But if I had to choose a 3rd DK newcomer rep, I guess I'd go with Cranky.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
It's hilarious how Kirby jiggles in the trailer. Like when the Luma pokes him.

Would coffee suffice?
"#1 boss" (couldn't find the image)

I do find it bizarre how nobody actually talks from the prospective of gameplay. It's always sales, popularity, or relevance. But people forget what has to be the most fundamental thing in the whole equation. Gameplay. We play a video game, so naturally the best way to show the strengths of a character is to demonstrate why they are good. I mean sure people know about stuff like Mario and Link, but ultimately the reason why you would play as a character is how they play out.
Rosaliana certainly looks like she brings something unique to the field with whole "puppeteer" thing with controlling both her and the Luma. Sorta reminds me of Galaxy's co-op mode. That's mainly why I'm interested in her. Other than that...meh.

Also, Morbid's avatar is creepy.

-----

Reznor

work in progress
it's a fanservice game a lot of people are naturally going to want to talk about characters over gameplay :bee:

Morbi

Scavenger
She looks great; she offers a new play-style and she will be one of my mains. The puppeteer-esque move-set is unique and I am sure that is why she was chosen over more ideal characters. I did talk about certain things she could offer; however, it didn't matter to many as she didn't have a chance. So it is irrelevant to talk about game-play over popularity as no one will agree with you and just dismiss whatever notion you are attempting to assert.

For instance; the best Legend of Zelda character for game-play is undoubtedly Ghirahim as he possesses a very likable personality that lends to his move-set potential. No one thinks he has a shot though, so it is hardly evidence. I do not think any character in LoZ can compare aside from Tingle... but wait... Sakurai wanted to introduce another clone (Toon Zelda).

If it was about the game-play; Ghirahim would be shoe-in (as opposed to another LoZ character that is).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Maybe Roselina got in because she provided something different and Sakurai wanted the developers to implement it.
I honestly think she got in because she's new. And thank god! I knew Sakurai had to have at least on new character post brawl and I was afraid it was gonna be Chrom just for that reason.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Rosaliana certainly looks like she brings something unique to the field with whole "puppeteer" thing with controlling both her and the Luma. That's mainly why I'm interested in her. Other than...meh.
Which is why I brought up the prospective of gameplay being very important.

Roselina by herself is not entirely convincing at first, but when the concept of a secondary pseudo-character is involved in the form of the Lumas, then you start interesting people. In fact, the whole concept reminds me of Eddie and Zato-1 from Guilty Gear.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Per what you just said.

I honestly think she got in because she's new. And thank god! I knew Sakurai had to have at least on new character post brawl and I was afraid it was gonna be Chrom just for that reason.
From what I could recall, when Brawl was in development, Lucario was the youngest playable character, in terms of its game debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom