• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
So, Rosie's Final Smash. Hmm.... Let's think logically. Rosalina has
1. Lumas
2. A giant spaceship
3. A magic wand.

I honestly have absolutely no idea. The most plausible idea I have heard so far is either the giant horde of lumas, though that could be a little unoriginal, or the giant comet thingy. Maybe she pulls everyone into the center with pull stars and deliver several random blows? I highly doubt that one, even if it is my own.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
And now Mario officially has 5 characters, which breaks the mold as we can now assume that Pokemon will have five characters to follow suit, so yeah, Rosalina's inclusion basically confirms Mewtwo.
Shive_What_small_45.jpg

While I agree that this again confirms that the 4-character limit was bull, I don't see how this confirms whether or not Sakurai sees fit to expand the representation of other franchises.

D

Deleted member

Rosalina means that any character can be made unique.

I'm open to any newcomer now, did not expect her to be using the lumas.
I'd always figured Rosalina would be unique if by some reason she got in SSB 3DS & Wii U. I just didn't think she was "deserving" or "interesting". Seems like Sakurai doesn't think that characters have to be "deserving" according to our standards (which is not a bad thing) and can make pretty much anyone fun to play with.
I gave up after E3. Just enjoying the ride now.
I've noticed myself losing interest in speculation ever since Mega Man's confirmation and slowly but surely felt that riding it out was a better idea. The fact that Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were completely unexpected reveals was a sign of really how far off we are. And with Rosalina's confirmation in spite of me considering Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario and even Waluigi more likely, I decided that it was time to give up trying to predict who gets in.

All I know is that this game is going to be awesome and I cannot wait to play it.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh guys, I also realized that Rosalina being playable means Mewtwo's chances have been dramatically hurt. Since she floats, and Mewtwo floats, that would mean we have two characters that float instead of walking, and that would be too redundant. This also hurts Palutena and Dark Samus' chances too, since they both float as well.
View attachment 5184

While I agree that this again confirms that the 4-character limit was bull, I don't see how this confirms whether or not Sakurai sees fit to expand the representation of other franchises.
Wait, what? We had five Mario characters in Melee.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hotfeet444, I LOVE YOU!!!! You see logic where others saw none. Mewtwo is practically confirmed. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. In case you haven't noticed, I absolutely love Mewtwo. I even named myself after him!!!!

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
View attachment 5184
Because Mario and Pokemon will most likely be held in the same regard as one another, seeing as they're both the Nintendo's biggest franchises, let alone the world's most successful franchises, but that's another story. So yes, it's only fitting to assume that Pokemon will end up with five characters as well.

Oh guys, I also realized that Rosalina being playable means Mewtwo's chances have been dramatically hurt. Since she floats, and Mewtwo floats, that would mean we have two characters that float instead of walking, and that would be too redundant.
That means absolutely nothing, especially since Mewtwo can be changed. I guess Jigglypuff's deconfirmed because Kirby float jumps and that makes Jigglypuff redundant. Seriously, logic, there is none here.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Why is everyone making it seem like it's a sudden revelation that there are 5 characters in a series? I mean, Melee had 5 Mario reps. Dr. Mario was clearly a result of last second work in Melee's rushed development, so it's not that much of a shock that he was removed. I'm surprised we haven't gotten more than 4 Zelda or Pokemon characters by now. Hopefully that'll happen with this installment. :B

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Starpheonix, why did you have to go and kill my spirits. You also see logic where none see some. However, so what. Luigi can't be in because Mario already walks?

D

Deleted member

Would not even surprise me at this point if Sakurai includes another guest character none of us are expecting -- within the confines of his own standards. Anything can happen, and that is a good feeling. All I've wanted is new characters with dynamic gameplay.

If Sakurai changed his mind on the Villager, he can change his mind on Slime as well.

MRTsmash

Smash Rookie
well, today's newcomer took me by surprise, but I think it's a nice addition. it make senses, considering that they made Rosalina an unlockable playable character in Super Mario 3D World.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh guys, I also realized that Rosalina being playable means Mewtwo's chances have been dramatically hurt. Since she floats, and Mewtwo floats, that would mean we have two characters that float instead of walking, and that would be too redundant. This also hurts Palutena and Dark Samus' chances too, since they both float as well.

Wait, what? We had five Mario characters in Melee.
No way. Mewtwo's chances have been hurt since E3. We already have one character that is pale, and another that starts with M! Not to mention Villager wasn't in Brawl, and neither was Mewtwo, so Sakurai obviously thought Villager should be added but not Mewtwo.

Adding Mewtwo at this point would just be redundant. Just redundant.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
OK, Mewtwo's Up Throw is his most powerful throw. Therefore, I am U-Throw. Also, to whoever said "I'm more of a D-Throw and B-Throw guy, NOT FUNNY!!!!!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hotfeet444, I LOVE YOU!!!! You see logic where others saw none. Mewtwo is practically confirmed. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. In case you haven't noticed, I absolutely love Mewtwo. I even named myself after him!!!!
A good portion of Smashboards supports Mewtwo's re-inclusion. We never said we hated the character. You just assumed we did. In fact, many consider Newtwo a definite return, myself included. I'm not sure where you are getting that Smashboards hates him.

Japan also loves him too. He constantly appears on the top Japanese polls.

D

Deleted member

No way. Mewtwo's chances have been hurt since E3. We already have one character that is pale, and another that starts with M! Not to mention Villager wasn't in Brawl, and neither way Mewtwo, so Sakurai obviously thought Villager should be added but not Mewtwo.

Adding Mewtwo at this point would just be redundant. Just redundant.
We also can't have cut veterans return. Once they're cut, they don't come back. :troll:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Because Mario and Pokemon will most likely be held in the same regard as one another, seeing as they're both the Nintendo's biggest franchises, let alone the world's most successful franchises, but that's another story. So yes, it's only fitting to assume that Pokemon will end up with five characters as well.

By that logic, it'd make sense that one of the Mario reps would have been replaced in Brawl with a more recent Mario character, because that's what they did with the Pokemon. (Actually, they'd also have to replace a second rep as well since they dropped Pichu. Poor Luigi)

EDIT:
That means absolutely nothing, especially since Mewtwo can be changed. I guess Jigglypuff's deconfirmed because Kirby float jumps and that makes Jigglypuff redundant. Seriously, logic, there is none here.
It was a joke.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why is everyone making it seem like it's a sudden revelation that there are 5 characters in a series? I mean, Melee had 5 Mario reps. Dr. Mario was clearly a result of last second work in Melee's rushed development, so it's not that much of a shock that he was removed. I'm surprised we haven't gotten more than 4 Zelda or Pokemon characters by now. Hopefully that'll happen with this installment. :B
Because people will cling to the logic that supports their desires even if that logic isn't itself logical. Apparently one game was enough to form a pattern, even though the game before that deviated from both the "big three" having equals reps and going over four. Just glad its dead now, it was literally one of the worst arguments to do with Smash.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't know, but somehow it became a thing that each franchise was for some reason only allowed 4 character slots. May have something to do with Doc and Mewtwo being cut in Brawl?

Hey, I never said it made sense.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Venus, I was just saying Starpheonix doesn't seem to like him. Anyway, Newtwo is a NO-NO!!!! If they HAVE to put him in, make him Mewtwo's Final Smash. I highly doubt it because X and Y appeal to 2 different types of people, typically, so you can only please one type. EVERYONE loves Mewtwo, so he will be in. Mega Mewtwo Z is right around the corner, and another would just decrease a megalution's chances. Unless he increases ALL of Mewtwo's stats... 0_0. Not good. But wait, he would a Final Smash since he would appeal to everyone, because If MMZ was in, he wouldn't have a Final Smash. LOGIC WINS AGAIN

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
By that logic, it'd make sense that one of the Mario reps would have been replaced in Brawl with a more recent Mario character, because that's what they did with the Pokemon. (Actually, they'd also have to replace a second rep as well since they dropped Pichu. Poor Luigi)

EDIT:

It was a joke.

EDIT:

It was a joke.
I said their reps should be held in the same regard in terms of numbers, I never said anything about newcomers being added. Also, Lucario didn't replace Mewtwo, so this is basically null.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I guess we might as well wave an early goodbye to Rosalina in Smash 5. Since that "pattern" is oh-so-reliable. ;_;7

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Five characters isn't that big of a deal. Most of us were hoping for that with the Pokémon series anyways. The only series none of us were sure on is Zelda, because, let's face it, there really aren't that many characters to pick from. Of course, this completely neglects the fact that Shiek is considered a separate entity from Zelda, so there are technically five Zelda characters already. Should Sakurai choose to emphasize that more by splitting them up? I don't know.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Welp, I guess we might as well wave an early goodbye to Rosalina in Smash 5. Since that "pattern" is oh-so-reliable. ;_;7
The only thing worse than people believing the 4-limit "pattern" would be people believing a pattern where the fifth Mario character was cut after every game. :rolleyes:

But someone will probably believe it.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
The only thing worse than people believing the 4-limit "pattern" would be people believing a pattern where the fifth Mario character was cut after every game. :rolleyes:

But someone will probably believe it.

Dude, we all know it's gonna happen, lmao.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ah crap it's 2 am here. I need to go to bed ><. I'm doing my ultra stealthy phone typing under the covers while my lady is asleep. Anyways, congrats to Rosalina supporters! I can't wait to see what she has in store for us in the future. And, again, report any violations and keep things civil.

Sorry, I don't mean to hurt your feelings...
My feelings aren't hurt. I'm more so surprised and slightly amused that you managed to blow up about a rather insignificant detail.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Five characters isn't that big of a deal. Most of us were hoping for that with the Pokémon series anyways. The only series none of us were sure on is Zelda, because, let's face it, there really aren't that many characters to pick from. Of course, this completely neglects the fact that Shiek is considered a separate entity from Zelda, so there are technically five Zelda characters already. Should Sakurai choose to emphasize that more by splitting them up? I don't know.
Zelda doesn't need to follow Mario and Pokémon, it is in fact quite a big step below those two in terms of popularity after all, considering how much more popular those two franchises are than the rest of the franchises in Smash Bros. I can easily see there being 5 Mario characters, 5 Pokémons, and 4 Zelda characters. Wouldn't mind having Zelda and Sheik split up though, but I doubt they will do that just for the sake of keeping Zelda at the same character count as Mario and Pokémon.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
And now Mario officially has 5 characters, which breaks the mold as we can now assume that Pokemon will have five characters to follow suit, so yeah, Rosalina's inclusion basically confirms Mewtwo.
Uhmm....I mean sure, more Mario characters most likely could mean more Pokemom characters, but I don't think that just cuz Mario already hit 5, means any other of the big series is now somehow supposed to have 5 cuz Mario does. And I have no idea how that even connects to confirming Mewtwo, a 5th. If we do indeed get 5, it may not even include Mewtwo.

People, you gotta argue with cohesive proof and arguments, not just try and Connect A to C without B.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As for Pokémon following Mario, I pretty much expect there to be 5 Pokémons with the inevitable return of Mewtwo, and have done so for quite some time, so to me it's more like Mario is following Pokémon :p

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Ah crap it's 2 am here. I need to go to bed ><. I'm doing my ultra stealthy phone typing under the covers while my lady is asleep. Anyways, congrats to Rosalina supporters! I can't wait to see what she has in store for us in the future. And, again, report any violations and keep things civil.

My feelings aren't hurt. I'm more so surprised and slightly amused that you managed to blow up about a rather insignificant detail.
LOL, also, by "lady" do you mean wife or girlfriend. Don't mean to be nosy, but...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The difference between the big three is Mario and Pokemon have many fine, perfectly warranted and actually important candidates that could take up spots, but Zelda doesn't need to expand any more than it already has, and people just suggest it should because it's a big series or because the other two do. They're not in the same position. Just because theoretically it could get away with having five characters doesn't mean it necessarily should have five characters. It should include the most important characters to the series, which its already done, and then it's more than adequately represented.

LOL, also, by "lady" do you mean wife or girlfriend. Don't mean to be nosy, but...
That is pretty nosy.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Venus, I was just saying Starpheonix doesn't seem to like him. Anyway, Newtwo is a NO-NO!!!! If they HAVE to put him in, make him Mewtwo's Final Smash. I highly doubt it because X and Y appeal to 2 different types of people, typically, so you can only please one type. EVERYONE loves Mewtwo, so he will be in. Mega Mewtwo Z is right around the corner, and another would just decrease a megalution's chances. Unless he increases ALL of Mewtwo's stats... 0_0. Not good. But wait, he would a Final Smash since he would appeal to everyone, because If MMZ was in, he wouldn't have a Final Smash. LOGIC WINS AGAIN
It's called satire U-Throw... I was being facetious. Mewtwo is, and has been, one of my favorite characters in the series, and one of my most requested characters for this game. I don't take this stuff so personally that I cannot make a joke.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Uhmm....I mean sure, more Mario characters most likely could mean more Pokemom characters, but I don't think that just cuz Mario already hit 5, means any other of the big series is now somehow supposed to have 5 cuz Mario does. And I have no idea how that even connects to confirming Mewtwo, a 5th. If we do indeed get 5, it may not even include Mewtwo.

People, you gotta argue with cohesive proof and arguments, not just try and Connect A to C without B.
Pokemon and Mario have been held in almost the same regards as one another, even in the original, when Pokemon was still a new franchise, it matched the legendary Super Mario Bros series in terms of reps. In Melee, Mario was still well established and Pokemon was still in its early stages, so of course Mario got the most reps. In Brawl, Pokemon had become a well-established and extremely popular franchise between the seven years of Melee and Brawl, which lead to Mario, Zelda AND Pokemon all having equal representation. And now, as of the development of Smash 4, Pokemon is still the second most successful franchise Nintendo has, nearing Mario's success, and the most successful second party franchise in the world, it's common sense to assume that whatever Mario gets, Pokemon will match. And as for having five with no Mewtwo...we have a higher chance of getting another playable Sonic character before that happens. So yes, Mario and Pokemon will most likely end up with the same level of representation in the final product.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also, Lucario didn't replace Mewtwo, so this is basically null.
BEFORE YOU READ, IF YOU WANT TO REPLY PLEASE READ WHAT PEOPLE HAVE REPLIED WITH BEFORE REPEATING THE SAME ARGUMENTS THEY HAVE USED

I just don't want to wake up in the morning to 50 alerts with different people stating the same argument that's already been said.

What? Of course they were.

Melee: Pikachu, Jiggs, Mewtwo, Pichu
Brawl: Pikachu, Jiggs. Removed: Mewtwo, Pichu. Added: Poke Trainer, Lucario

"Replace"
verb
1. take the place of.
"Ian's smile was replaced by a frown"

He was literally, replaced.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

"Replace"
verb
1. take the place of.

that is fine and dandy but you do forget that mewtwo was worked on in brawl, right? they were plaining to add both in.
if lucario replaced mewtwo why did they actually put work on him instead of focus all work on lucario, explain that mate

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

"Replace"
verb
1. take the place of.

Except Lucario was not meant to take the place of anyone and was made alongside Mewtwo and the other Pokémon reps. He's no more guilty of "replacing" Mewtwo then PT or any other newcomer.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
that is fine and dandy but you do forget that mewtwo was worked on in brawl, right? they were plaining to add both in.
if lucario replaced mewtwo why did they actually put work on him instead of focus all work on lucario, explain that mate

Until we know exactly why he wasn't in, I can't explain that. Good point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom