• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No more saying any character isn't important enough..

I swear to god I've seen Luma Charge suggested so many times as a move.
I never really believed you on this. It took Rosalina's confirmation to realize this.

Looks like uniqueness really is the Strongest factor in deciding characters after all.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
She seems to have a galaxy shield thing using the Wiimote pointer?

And the game is so beautiful too.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rosalina has me hyped but one question...

Why reveal her now exactly? We have 5 Mario characters revealed at this point.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was wondering who would be the new mechanics character. Looks like we got our Carl Clover in a sense.

There's like, no reason. Maybe because she's christmasy?

Morbi

Scavenger
This reveal has taught me to always believe in the character you want. Rosalina was one of my wants that the community pegged as "unlikely", that just goes to show that no one knows what is truly likely. I told you guys that Sakurai obviously had insider information on her playable status. No one believed me (for some reason).

I always look like a ranting and raving lunatic until Sakurai proves me right. :p

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Mario's popular? We've had a crap ton of new Mario titles in the span between Brawl and Sm4sh compared to other games in the past? Couldn't tell you, but I'm okay with what we have. Mario, Luigi and Peach look better, Bowser has been revamped, and Rosalina is a thousand times better than many of us imagined her capable of being.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even then I think another Mario character would be overkill at this point. Let the other series have some time to shine.
Once Bowser Jr. has his possible fame taken care of, THEN we'll be done with the Super Mario franchise. Though there's still Dixie Kong and King K. Rool to be thinking about, in terms of the secondary Mario characters.

She will now. Playable role in 3D Mario + consistent role in Mario spin-offs (and main series games for that matter) + playable in Smash + effects of being playable in Smash = major character.

The age of Rosalina is just starting. :smirk:
And yet old Cranky Kong gets nothing, even after being confirmed as a playable in Tropical Freeze. On a side note, Funky Kong hasn't been forgotten, but whether or not he'll be back in Mario Kart 8 remains to be seen.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

I dunno. Maybe there's a 6th. We've had more than 1 newcomer in a game before.

And because the whole uniqueness factor is taken into account, or as we just realized... Characters that are rather unique and not just "oh, shoo-in, because that's next best" have much greater chances now.

Characters like Bowser Jr and the like are beginning to tide back as more unique and not just obvious reveals are coming in. I'm excited for a newcomer reveal, honestly. Why complain, we got all Veterans from E3 till this point. And it's not like they are going to pull a Brawl and reveal EVERYTHING before the US release...

And I do think this gives characters that give the roster something new to look at have better chances. I'm still all in for Bandana Dee because I believe that adorable little guy brings personality and charm.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I like how she attracts items like in Galaxy. I can see her being a sick counterpick for Peach.

Anyway....
BEHOLD! My mighty Hype-o-graph!

Basically, my reactions to every character revealed so far.

(Villager was revealed BEFORE SSB4 and its starting veterans)

And don't let the graph fool you. I feel Rosalina is a very unique fighter, and a great (Mario) inclusion. But I don't think it was the proper time/way to announce her. Still, her moveset is awesome, Sakurai seems to be going all out on distinctive movesets this time.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. Maybe there's a 6th. We've had more than 1 newcomer in a game before.

And because the whole uniqueness factor is taken into account, or as we just realized... Characters that are rather unique and not just "oh, shoo-in, because that's next best" have much greater chances now.

Characters like Bowser Jr and the like are beginning to tide back as more unique and not just obvious reveals are coming in. I'm excited for a newcomer reveal, honestly. Why complain, we got all Veterans from E3 till this point. And it's not like they are going to pull a Brawl and reveal EVERYTHING before the US release...

Hrnnng. Stop. I can't have my heart shattered again. Please Sakurai, just confirm Waluigi as a freaking Assist Trophy already so my imagination won't run rampant.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

wynaut?

If they revealed Ridley, there'd be no more toobigots.
If they revealed K. Rool, there'd be no more MUH RELEVANCE
If they revealed Mewtwo, we'd all be dead from hype

None of these are allowed to happen until the game comes out. :p

D

Deleted member

She seems to have a galaxy shield thing using the Wiimote pointer?

And the game is so beautiful too.
I think you're imagining things.

But I like the gif because it makes the game look really great. I like the direction Sakurai is going here with newcomers.

@ThatWasPeachy: There are still going to be people who apply MUHRECENCY to Fire Emblem.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think getting an the end of the year reveal was right in terms of hype.I always thought that was what Sakurai was going to do.

Why Rosalina now? Her trailer was Mario Kart themed, so I'm guessing Sakurai wanted to get it out before MK8 comes out.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking of Funky Kong. Apparently he is running the item shops in DKC:TF while Cranky Kong parades around the ocean, showing the young'ens how they platformed back in the old days before hint systems and Gamefaqs. The game is also 1080p, 60fps, and 100% David Wise soundtrack (for those interested).

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
This reveal has taught me to always believe in the character you want. Rosalina was one of my wants that the community pegged as "unlikely", that just goes to show that no one knows what is truly likely. I told you guys that Sakurai obviously had insider information on her playable status. No one believed me (for some reason).

I always look like a ranting and raving lunatic until Sakurai proves me right. :p
JESUS I LOVE YOU PLEASE TAKE ME TO HEAVEN!!!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I like how she attracts items like in Galaxy. I can see her being a sick counterpick for Peach.

Anyway....
BEHOLD! My mighty Hype-o-graph!

Basically, my reactions to every character revealed so far.

(Villager was revealed BEFORE SSB4 and its starting veterans)

And don't let the graph fool you. I feel Rosalina is a very unique fighter, and a great (Mario) inclusion. But I don't think it was the proper time/way to announce her. Still, her moveset is awesome, Sakurai seems to be going all out on distinctive movesets this time.
I'm sure you'll see a peak again. That's how the Stock Market works. /jk

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Nintendo is obviously keeping lots of secrets. This isn't Brawl, or else we'd get newcomers everywhere.. But with the unique factor, things are starting to get interesting.

The Shoo-In "newcomers" aren't becoming as likely anymore. Palutena could give way to someone like Magnus, Hades or Viridi. Any other Nintendo Shoo-in like PM or BJ is not as likely right now. It'd be interesting, but I don't expect it.

I don't see Waluigi being all too likely at this point, nor Bowser Jr. (Nothing to do with 5th Slot thing) If you think about it, Bowser Jr has the ability to be a unique moveset character, but he'd feel a bit too much like his old man. On basis of Waluigi? The guy has became sports fodder. I really don't want to see a sports-solely based moveset. In addition, this kills whatever rumor that was spreading around yesterday, like it was truth at all.

But I think this will get people thinking. On basis of Impa, this actually does prove a point: Characters are not solely based on popularity or shoo-in policy. Taking the Impa from SS and such is not some pipe dream. In fact, a lot of characters (Not all of them, rights issues still exist) are here. But I'm not making a single inch of support for Nintendog. If something is an AT, it's not going to be playable too.

WFT is a unique character that adds a ridiculously epic flavor to Smash 4. There, I said it.

5th Zelda rep wars have begun. Take your side.
...I think I'll hang my coat up for this war. Or take the side of Impa.

EDIT:
It's time!

Everyone should know Impa is next in line now ;)

The War begins, eh?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To add to Morbid's comment.

This pretty much deconfirms Saturngamer's philosophy of "The roster is done! So it's not happening." which basically says that anything Nintendo related revealed AFTER Sakurai said the roster was finalized, would be impossible to get included.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To add to Morbid's comment.

This pretty much deconfirms Saturngamer's philosophy of "The roster is done! So it's not happening." which basically says that anything Nintendo related revealed AFTER Sakurai said the roster was finalized, would be impossible to get included.
TAKE THAT SATURN, YOUR PHILOSOPHIES OF THE ROSTER ARE OVER!!!!!

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman

What the--... So Rosalina can attract items and deflect projectiles? Cool.
Really annoys me that FLUDD is returning. Just feels so dated, but agh. I guess it's nice that Sunshine will continue to get some recognition.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Waddle Dee, Sakurai. Give me my spear wielding, parasol crashing brown boy. Complete the Kirby Returns to Dreamland group for me.

I'd rather have Impa.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
the five zelda reps in Smash 4?
Link, Zelda, Toon Link, Ganondorf and Sheik

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
TAKE THAT SATURN, YOUR PHILOSOPHIES OF THE ROSTER ARE OVER!!!!!
Must like.... the amount of Colbert GIFS is not enough...

I think I'm going with Diddy on this one.

I think honestly that a character like Impa has a chance. Just as long as it's not fat Impa. My reasoning for not going with Tingle is well, The first thing I ever saw of Tingle was Wind Waker on Tingle Island. Right in the childhood.

But don't expect me to shove it down your throats. I like discussion, NOT. WARS.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just because the roster is finalized doesn't mean Sakurai couldn't have added characters who would've had major roles in games to be release after the roster became cemented.

The main question here, however, is that if Luma can show a mad expression, why can't Kirby do the same? I even did a Brawl hack, which gave Kirby extra eye expressions.

Angry Kirby scares Sakurai. And Japan.

Angry Luma re-invigorates Sakurai because it reminds him of his burning hatred towards Starfy. :troll:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The main question here, however, is that if Luma can show a mad expression, why can't Kirby do the same? I even did a Brawl hack, which gave Kirby extra eye expressions.
Because while everyone is in their fighting spirits, Kirby probably thinks it's just a fun little game they're playing. I honestly prefer the lolly-gagging, curious and playful Kirby, so I think it's great that he kicks people's ass with a big smile or a wonderous expression.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Because while everyone is in their fighting spirits, Kirby probably thinks it's just a fun little game they're playing. I honestly prefer the lolly-gagging, curious and playful Kirby, so I think it's great that he kicks people's *** with a big smile or a wonderous expression.
And yet we see Kirby's serious side on a lot of his artworks, such as the following...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While I agree that uniqueness is going to play a much larger part, I don't think it'll completely override importance. Rosalina is a unique candidate in that she's not as important as Toad or Bowser Jr. while her uniqueness probably helped in getting her picked, but she's still plays a notable part in the newer games to the point that she's almost solidified in the cast nowadays. So I still wouldn't expect situations like Tharja over Chrom as she doesn't matter much in the scheme of things whereas others like Robin brings something new to the table and have a major part in the game's (or series') story.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
While I agree that uniqueness is going to play a much larger part, I don't think it'll completely override importance. Rosalina is a unique candidate in that she's not as important as Toad or Bowser Jr. while her uniqueness probably helped in getting her picked, but she's still plays a notable part in the newer games to the point that she's almost solidified in the cast nowadays. So I still wouldn't expect situations like Tharja over Chrom as she doesn't matter much in the scheme of things whereas others like Robin brings something new to the table and have a major part in the game's (or series') story.

Woah there, don't remember this applying to Fire Emblem. MUHRECENCY must go die, honestly, it was a massive nuisance that caused RTC Fire Emblem Week and the Discussion FE Wars of Saltyness. I think it's 50/50 on importance. But Fire Emblem is a weird matter, I'm treating that franchise the EXACT SAME.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Impa is not impressed.

You guys are quite fooled by your 'hatebase' for Impa, but know Tingle's is about 1000 x bigger. Tingle was left out of Twilight Princess for example on purpose and the only reason Impa is 'unpopular' is cause she might replace Sheik.

Guess what? Chrom also isn't any less popular cause he 'might' replace Ike, or is 'boring'. Not at all.

Doesn't matter what you all say. Rosalina was also ******* against. People will always *****.

Impa will be in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom