• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm probably the only person that uses Zelda more then Sheik.
I use Zelda almost exsclusivly. I do like Shiek but Zelda better fits my play style. Plus, I find myself missing her when playing as Shiek.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Waluigi, Krystal, and Ghirahim sure are considered pretty likely by most for characters with no chance of getting in.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ghirahim and Waluigi maaaybe,but I'm pretty sure Krystal has chances.
What reason? Four Star Fox characters? And we have the main pilot, the partner, and the rival. What reason do we need the love interest and a fourth clone? I say that because It's obvious she won't get a staff. That was a weapon used once in a game that wasn't even a Star Fox game, but a Rare Ware game with Star Fox slapped on it. When has Sakurai ever shown need for representation of that game with the exception of a few stickers and a trophy of Tricky (from Star Fox Assault)?

Why her? Why is she next in line of importance? Why do we need 4 characters with the same move set let or from Star Fox?

Strongly hated = strong representation in Brawl, eh?
Right. A sticker, an Assist Trophy, and a nothing from a character who didn't exist yet sure is strong representation. I guess Barbara, Fly Guy, and Genesect had strong representation too.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You need more than requests to get in and you don't need requests at all to get in. That shouldn't have to be said.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
What reason? Four Star Fox characters? And we have the main pilot, the partner, and the rival. What reason do we need the love interest and a fourth clone? I say that because It's obvious she won't get a staff. That was a weapon used once in a game that wasn't even a Star Fox game, but a Rare Ware game with Star Fox slapped on it. When has Sakurai ever shown need for representation of that game with the exception of a few stickers and a trophy of Tricky (from Star Fox Assault)?

Why her? Why is she next in line of importance? Why do we need 4 characters with the same move set let or from Star Fox?

Right. A sticker, an Assist Trophy, and a nothing from a character who didn't exist yet sure is strong representation. I guess Barbara, Fly Guy, and Genesect had strong representation too.
Lol, a clone. She hasn't even been made playable, and she's already a clone. Sakurai is perfectly capable of implementing a moveset that is not the same as Fox's. I don't even see why her moveset would be the same as his in the first place. Also, Falco isn't even that important to the series. "The partner" is moreso Slippy than anyone else on the team. Falco's only in because he was recognizable. Krystal making the cut isn't as unrealistic as you would think.

And on your second point; how funny. I wasn't even referring to Ghirahim, but OK. I don't really care for reiterating a (somewhat long) point I've already made a few pages back, but I will say this; a character being a popular choice amongst fans for a newcomer, is enough, for them to be playable. It's super silly to state that any of those characters have absolutely no chance. We have freaking Snake and Sonic in Smash Bros. Why not popular 1st party characters?

Behind every character is a "hatebase". That really means nothing in whether they could be playable or not.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Lol, a clone. She hasn't even been made playable, and she's already a clone. Sakurai is perfectly capable of implementing a moveset that is not the same as Fox's. I don't even see why her moveset would be the same as his in the first place.
He could've done the same to Falco and (more or less) Wolf (with his special moves), but he didn't.
He's capable, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll do it.

-----

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I can't speak for the others, but I consider Waluigi about as likely as any other feasible Mario newcomer, hatebase be damned.
Why? We didn't get Toad. Why Waluigi? It seems kind of random. There are so many Mario characters like Bowser Jr and the other Marios so why is Waluigi important? Why is it necessary to represent Mario Sports or Wario's brother and why Wario's brother? Seems kind of weird that Wario's brother is a Mario character, but not Wario. I just don't see what puts him on the other's level. It's just a random pick.

D

Deleted member

We've had two characters from Star Fox who were deviations from Fox's attacks.
Having a staff as an option doesn't magically mean Krystal will not follow suit.

Falco is more important to the Star Fox franchise than Krystal is.

Now let's stop talking about Krystal, since she's unlikely to show and isn't fun to discuss (but better than Impa at least).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Why? We didn't get Toad. Why Waluigi? It seems kind of random. There are so many Mario characters like Bowser Jr and the other Marios so why is Waluigi important? Why is it necessary to represent Mario Sports or Wario's brother and why Wario's brother? Seems kind of weird that Wario's brother is a Mario character, but not Wario. I just don't see what puts him on the other's level. It's just a random pick.
Well, for one he's incredibly popular. Not to mention his astonishingly consistent attendance record when it comes to Mario spin-offs(which gets even more remarkable when you realize that he doesn't really share his body type with any other character, so it's not like he's there as a model swap or something)

Not to mention that apparently Sakurai liked him enough to use him as the Mario series Assist Trophy over characters like Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario.

Edit: Not that I think a Mario character is likely in general.

D

Deleted member

I would like to point out, that while I'm one of the more pro-Waluigi users here, using popularity is a moot point.

D

Deleted member

Waluigi should have his own set of games where he "takes" over other classic ones. :troll:

Waluigi's Wrecking Crew (which should just be a series entirely)
Waluigi's Excitebike
Waluigi's Pro Wrestling
etc.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Waluigi should have his own set of games where he "takes" over other classic ones. :troll:

Waluigi's Wrecking Crew (which should just be a series entirely)
Waluigi's Excitebike
Waluigi's Pro Wrestling
etc.
Waluigi's Taco Stand
Psycho Waluigi

Lust and furries aside, Falco has been in the series since the start and could be seen as the secondary character of the Star Fox series. He's more important than Krystal in that regard.

-----

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Lol, a clone. She hasn't even been made playable, and she's already a clone.
It's just as fair as assuming Louie will be a clone of Olimar. What the hell does she do different after Adventures in the actual Star Fox games?

Sakurai is perfectly capable of implementing a moveset that is not the same as Fox's.
First of all, Brawl suggests he ISN'T perfectly capable of doing that. Second of all just because Sakurai CAN make a move set that's different does NOT mean he will. Some characters are supposed to be clones. He could have made Lucas and Toon Link unique, but he didn't because they are suppose to share moves with their counterpart.

I don't even see why her moveset would be the same as his in the first place.
Explain why it wouldn't without the staff.

Also, Falco isn't even that important to the series.
Are you kidding me? He has more of a role than any other member even if it's small. So he's the second most important. He's like Fox's best friend and the most iconic after him.

Krystal making the cut isn't as unrealistic as you would think.
It is.

a character being a popular choice amongst fans for a newcomer, is enough, for them to be playable.
LMAO. You are saying that Geno, Dr. Eggman, and Hector can get into Smash 4 because popular choice among fans is literally all you need. That is not how it works.

We have freaking Snake and Sonic in Smash Bros. Why not popular 1st party characters?
Are you seriously comparing Third-Party criteria to First-Party criteria. Bad idea.

Behind every character is a "hatebase". That really means nothing in whether they could be playable or not.
Agreed, but having little importance to a series, being a 4th clone, over representing a small franchise, and such and such does.

But, if all you need is requests, then Midna confirmed for Smash 4. :awesome:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, for one he's incredibly popular. Not to mention his astonishingly consistent attendance record when it comes to Mario spin-offs(which gets even more remarkable when you realize that he doesn't really share his body type with any other character, so it's not like he's there as a model swap or something)
Still not convinced.

Not to mention that apparently Sakurai liked him enough to use him as the Mario series Assist Trophy over characters like Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario.
Assist Trophies representing less important or popular characters is almost it's main purpose.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman

Well, I guess Sakurai just didn't view Toad as a suitable newcomer (this is assuming that he is truly not going to be playable), but I have no idea what goes on inside that dude's mind when he decides to add a newcomer or not. I'm purely basing this opinion on what we've seen from the Smash Bros. series so far. Waluigi has no importance to the Super Mario series. Hell, Waluigi is probably the most pointless, unimportant Mario ch--... no. Nintendo character that has ever been conceived. But I'll gouge my eyes out if you truly believe that he has not gained a lot of popularity. He was given more attention in Brawl than DAISY, dude. Daisy. The result of the first handheld Super Mario adventure title in the goddamn 80's, and actually had some importance to the game by being one of the main reasons why Mario started his adventure in the first place. But what did she get in Brawl? A continued alternate costume for Peach, a trophy... and a sticker.

It has nothing to do with importance, from what I've observed. There are characters that have been playable in Super Smash Bros. that have offered little to nothing in their games. Luigi (and I mean Luigi back before Smash Bros. 64 was released), Falco, Pichu, etc., etc.. These characters had no reason to be playable in a Super Smash Bros. game, but look! There they are. I mean... *sigh*, I'm most likely a wrong, idiotic weenie who needs to go to bed. You don't have to agree with my opinion, heh.

Also, I don't think Waluigi is Wario's brother (I actually think it was confirmed that they aren't related... weird).

I would like to point out, that while I'm one of the more pro-Waluigi users here, using popularity is a moot point.

Why do you think so? I'd really like for someone to finally give me a straightforward answer as to why they believe popularity is not an important factor in why a character makes it into Smash. Just to finally see some other opinions on this, y'know?

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Are you kidding me? He has more of a role than any other member even if it's small. So he's the second most important. He's like Fox's best friend and the most iconic after him.
actually slippy is fox's best friend, Falco is fox's friendly rival, but your point still stands, Falco is the second most important character in star fox (yes even more than wolf) he has a large importance in the games, only being second to fox (yes also even more than wolf), he is also the fan favorite of the games, being the most liked character out of the star fox universe, getting rid of him for Krystal would be a sin
Edit: times took to post this: 8
that also includes the amount of times to post before & during the server update,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom