• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Not that this means anything but:

Smash 64: One sword character added to roster
Smash Melee: Three sword characters added (BUT two of them were clones)
Smash Brawl: Two Sword characters added (Ike and Metaknight), one replaced (Toon Link replacing YoungLink), and one sword character dropped (Roy)

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
After these weeks in smashboards i learn some interesting stuffs, debate with some people y chandelure habla español, so, im officialy staying in this site for a while.

With that said, here is mys roster prediction:

9x5 = 45 characters, 11 new comers + mewtwo.
I honestly dont care about FE so didnt dig to much into it, sorry, i want roy and ike back but i dont see it happening.

The magic number is that where magic things happen and everybody dreams come true.
I personally will be happy with 45 and a good roster balance, but i like the number 49 more:

- Everybody is talking about ridley, not everybody want him... but everybody is expecting something about him, and i personally think YES, but sadly not over the 45 chars (maybe over rosalina). Cant wait to be wrong.
- Everybody want a new f-zero, but nintendo is not sure about it... goroh will be a good start, and also a way to test the fan support, not to mention he is with ridley the 2 characters that appear in the melee intro, so pls.
- ...yeah.

50 is also a nice number btw

<- this is a very likely character, i think is neccesary and i really want him back, but i really dont know what to think about him, so i'll just wait.

Thats it, what you guys think?

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Strange roster with strange pictures, but overall good, can't really agree about Rosalina.
stupid fans washing my brain with rosalina xD

I never like the squares design in both melee/brawl, is a very death and boring thing to look at.
But the web page is really cool, and im expecting something like that with a lot of colors and animations, so, strange? i think is the future.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
After these weeks in smashboards i learn some interesting stuffs, debate with some people y chandelure habla español, so, im officialy staying in this site for a while.

With that said, here is mys roster prediction:

9x5 = 45 characters, 11 new comers + mewtwo.
I honestly dont care about FE so didnt dig to much into it, sorry, i want roy and ike back but i dont see it happening.

The magic number is that where magic things happen and everybody dreams come true.
I personally will be happy with 45 and a good roster balance, but i like the number 49 more:
[
Thats it, what you guys think?
ah good to hear that we got another person staying for awhile mate, always nice to have some more people around,
so now lets talk about your roster,
I can see that you added Rosalina to the mix, I can understand why you added her, but I don't think that the recent Mario galaxy stage and her playable inclusion will benefit her, the roster was decided months ago, her actions today will hold no water.
no new DK slot? that's weird we are practically guaranteed one, whether it be Dixie or K. Rool
I can see no new kid Icarus slot, I can understand why some people don't think there will be any, but this smash is the prime time for one to appear.
I can defiantly understand why ridley is not up there, I also don't think that he'll be up there on a roster of 45, but he is a better option over Rosalina :p
I'm going just to assume "gany" means ganondorf
chrom replaces ike? that just makes no sense, you'll be replaceing the second important lord of all of fire emblem, with the most recent lord, that's very bad, its either that we get marth ike and chrom/roy or just marth and ike
I find it very unlikely that pacman will replace an already developed third party snake, that doesn't seem likely
whelp there ya go:p

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
In case you guys don't know, on Black Friday, Gamestop will be selling used copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade for $40. I'd recommend getting Xenoblade since I know it won't be half-priced again.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
- I can see that you added Rosalina to the mix, I can understand why you added her, but I don't think that the recent Mario galaxy stage and her playable inclusion will benefit her, the roster was decided months ago, her actions today will hold no water.
- no new DK slot? that's weird we are practically guaranteed one, whether it be Dixie or K. Rool
- chrom replaces ike? that just makes no sense, you'll be replaceing the second important lord of all of fire emblem, with the most recent lord, that's very bad, its either that we get marth ike and chrom/roy or just marth and ike
- I find it very unlikely that pacman will replace an already developed third party snake, that doesn't seem likely
- 3D World wasnt made in a week. I thought rosalina was going to end just like bowser jr, but 3d world completely change my mind. Actually, i even more surprised that peach is playable again. If rosalina gets in, is because she is one of the most important mario characters now, which means nintendo is planing to use her more often, and smash will promote both past, present and future of the character. Thats why i choose her.

- I understand why people think that, but DK and diddy can do it very well right know. Smash dont really need another DK character, thats all.

- Im looking it with the same eyes i see pokemon, sorry, i really dont want to debate about that, because i know pretty much anything about FE. Ike over chrom sound nice to me, but i dont see how ike being important for the franchise is a reason to stay...

- Pack-Man is not replacing snake :p

Gany ftw

Morbi

Scavenger
ah good to hear that we got another person staying for awhile mate, always nice to have some more people around,
so now lets talk about your roster,
I can see that you added Rosalina to the mix, I can understand why you added her, but I don't think that the recent Mario galaxy stage and her playable inclusion will benefit her, the roster was decided months ago, her actions today will hold no water.
no new DK slot? that's weird we are practically guaranteed one, whether it be Dixie or K. Rool
I can see no new kid Icarus slot, I can understand why some people don't think there will be any, but this smash is the prime time for one to appear.
I can defiantly understand why ridley is not up there, I also don't think that he'll be up there on a roster of 45, but he is a better option over Rosalina :p
I'm going just to assume "gany" means ganondorf
chrom replaces ike? that just makes no sense, you'll be replaceing the second important lord of all of fire emblem, with the most recent lord, that's very bad, its either that we get marth ike and chrom/roy or just marth and ike
I find it very unlikely that pacman will replace an already developed third party snake, that doesn't seem likely
I agree with you mate, I am just going to assert my opinions on your answers.

1. The roster WAS decided months ago; however, that is entirely irrelevant. Smash is based on the notion of a priority list, so no doubt, Rosalina is a part of that list (assuming she wasn't decided as an assist trophy which I find highly likely as she is immaculate for that role). It is based on time constraints, not who is more viable, that determines the order of the priority, not whether a character is a part of it. If we were to assume that Sakurai decided to not utilize the priority list, Rosalina's recent relevance is actually significant. Sakurai is aware of anything noteworthy going on at Nintendo, it is his job. So he knows the last playable character of DK Tropical Freeze, and he was one of the first to know about Rosalina. My main premise is that Rosalina isn't unlikely based on her recent appearance, it isn't recent to Sakurai. He knew about it a month or two prior (possibly more).

2. Not necessarily, I am not sure where you are getting this from, it seems arbitrary.

3. Agreed. Sakurai's role in the development of Uprising inherently exposes him to the notion. He would have to consciously disregard the plausibility of making Kid Icarus a part of the Smash (despite overt measures to introduce Pit as a front runner two times now).

4. Ridley is likely in my opinion based on his staggering popularity, extensive Smash relevance, and Sakurai's awarness. The only thing going against him is the difficulty to develop him, but that didn't stop Sora Ltd. from developing Pokemon Trainer. Many on the forums believe that it is still worth the effort. If PKMN Trainer is worth the effort, there is no way Ridley is not. He is the only plausible/viable Metroid character.

5. Probably.

6. Agreed.

7. It isn't entirely based on development time, it has more to do with licensing issues. In my personal opinion, Snake never really fit in the Smash Universe. I view it as a favor for a friend that he already blew off in Melee, so he felt obligated to include him in Smash. I do; however, agree, if Sakurai obtains the right to use the character, we will not be seeing a 4th party character. This has nothing to do with the commonly misinterpreted quote.

So yeah, nothing personal, I just felt like typing up some stuff.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I agree with you mate, I am just going to assert my opinions on your answers.

2. Not necessarily, I am not sure where you are getting this from, it seems arbitrary.

7. It isn't entirely based on development time, it has more to do with licensing issues. In my personal opinion, Snake never really fit in the Smash Universe. I view it as a favor for a friend that he already blew off in Melee, so he felt obligated to include him in Smash. I do; however, agree, if Sakurai obtains the right to use the character, we will not be seeing a 4th party character. This has nothing to do with the commonly misinterpreted quote.

So yeah, nothing personal, I just felt like typing up some stuff.
since DKC is Nintendo's 4th most important series (going by sales) with an undermined amount of representation in smash, makes it more likely that there will be some more stuff added to the Donkey Kong Country, along with it's recent rival (donkey kong country returns), along with some enormas amount of fan demand for k rool (and a slightly less amount for Dixie), all this points to a DK newcomer, I may have over stated the chances but my point still stands, that a DK newcomer is one of the most likeliest things that could happen

I agree too, snake never really did, and honestly he is the only character from brawl that could leave and I wouldn't even have any regrets (doesn't mean I want it to happen, but point still stands) and ya there is licensing issues, that is what will really come down, if snake gets in, I don't see the inclusion of pac man because of sakurai's standing on third parties, and seeing how snake was actually in brawl, that makes him a better chance than pac man in my eyes.

oh don't worry, I actually like feedback, whatever it is, if you need to say or disagree with something, just do it . . . or technically type it . . .

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
-

- Im looking it with the same eyes i see pokemon, sorry, i really dont want to debate about that, because i know pretty much anything about FE. Ike over chrom sound nice to me, but i dont see how ike being important for the franchise is a reason to stay...
Importance matters a lot in a series like this, though it's certainly not the only factor.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Are you really saying Chrom should replace Ike, you sir, better Prepare Yourself, Cause You Get No Sympathy From Me :ike:

Ike is the lord that is in the second most games in the series as the main lord. The only one who has more is Marth with 4, 2 being remakes. Priam is character in Awakening that is a descendant of Ike, showing IS cares enough about Ike to have a descendant represent him in Awakening. They probably created Priam due to the fact that Chrom is a descendant of Marth, so why not make a descendant of a lord just as important.
Also, even though Chrom uses Aether, Ike and him use the ability very, very different. The only reason why Chrom replacing Ike is even suggested is similar builds, plus that Fire Emblem should only have 2 reps, even though I can see it with more.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I can even see FE having the same number of entrys as pokemon and i dont have any problem with that, the problem is roys case and rosters size.
I know people think ike is the most important lord after marth, but really, that could means nothing, he could be outpriorized in beneffits of awekaning sells, just like mewtwo.

If im wrong time will tell, is just my opinion and i REALLY dont want to debate it, is not the first time people talk about FE in this thread.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I can even see FE having the same number of entrys as pokemon and i dont have any problem with that, the problem is roys case and rosters size.
I know people think ike is the most important lord after marth, but really, that could means nothing, he could be outpriorized in beneffits of awekaning sells, just like mewtwo.

If im wrong time will tell, is just my opinion and i REALLY dont want to debate it, is not the first time people talk about FE in this thread.
Wouldn't really make sense to just disregard Ike who is probably the 2nd most important lord just for the sake of adding in something new or because of sales.

Morbi

Scavenger

The most important notion regarding the premise of a Veteran characters return would have to be popularity that entails usage in regards to the move-set and how well the character was received. Ike offered a distinct play-style that was instantaneously popular, he is fun (obviously this is subjective). Mewtwo was cut based on his detrimental move-set, it had little to do with his importance to Pokemon. However, in this case, Ike retains the credibility of being important and positively received.

So when it comes down to it, I believe that we will get 3 Fire Emblem representatives, or the two we currently have. I do not see Marth or Ike being replaced, an additional character from the FE series is more than warranted, a replacement is not.

chaoswafflez04

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlazingBlaziken4
I'm fine with either 2 or 3 FE reps this time around, all I just want to say is that I'm happy about the fact that Marth, one of my Brawl secondaries, is back, and I do expect to see a representative from Awakening, as it was really successful, and there's already the Arena Ferox stage from Awakening in the 3DS version. If there's only two reps, then Chrom will be my guess, but if there's 3, I would still guess Chrom would be in, but the third rep would probably be either Ike, Roy, or maybe a female rep or somebody else.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Imo the worst thing that could happen to FE would be if it ended up being just Marth and Chrom. Everything else I would be ok with.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
With the recent success I think that FE easily warrants 3 playable characters. Not 2, not 4, but 3. Whichever Awakening rep they choose I'm not sure, but probably Chrom since he's the main character (as far as I know) and the one advertising the game. Ike is certainly important and unique enough to stay, which, like it or not, Roy wasn't.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
With the recent success I think that FE easily warrants 3 playable characters. Not 2, not 4, but 3. Whichever Awakening rep they choose I'm not sure, but probably Chrom since he's the main character (as far as I know) and the one advertising the game. Ike is certainly important and unique enough to stay, which, like it or not, Roy wasn't.
The FE portion of the roster being Ike, Marth and Chrom is definitely a possibility, especially as there is no need for Chrom to replace Ike and they both could easily be in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Back to Fire Emblem eh?

Err...let's see...

Most likely overall outcome:
Marth, Ike, Chrom/Roy. Chrom because he's from the best selling Awakening game. Roy because of Smash importance and between him, Marth and Ike they represent all the major lands within the game(correct me if I'm wrong here).

Best possible outcome for variety(whilst still within the realms of possibility):
Marth, Ike, Robin

Worst possible outcome for variety:
Marth, Chrom, Lucina

Morbi

Scavenger
Which additional Fire Emblem characters, assuming that they are in, do you think will be unlockable or starter?
Marth and Ike as starters, Roy/Chrom/Lyn as unlockable characters. I do not think we will get the Brawl approach. It seems like Sakurai is saving Newcomer reveals which will most likely be unlockable characters in my opinion.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ew, Fire Emblem again.
Just give it a rest guys.
Fire Emblem must be a REALLY popular series. If we were to base characters on discussion time on Smashboards, I truly believe that Smash could have Marth, Ike, Chrom, Roy, Lyn, Anna, Robin, and Lucina as playable characters.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ew, Fire Emblem again.
Just give it a rest guys.
Even though it usually starts a flame war, it's the topic which we get a lot of discussion from, besides Newcomers in general. All of the other veteran series are boring to talk about because it's usually unanimous in sides, while Fire Emblem brings up the debater in most of us.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why does it have to be after Adventures though? Just for the sake of continuing to toss away any potential originality in her moveset?
To stay relevant to the actual Star Fox series and represent the Nintendo version of Krystal and not the Rare Ware version of Krystal. That Staff is NEVER even mentioned in any Star Fox games after it. Sakurai is not going to add a Star Fox Adventures rep and he usually gives characters there most common and signature abilities. You don't see Sonic with his weaponry from Sonic & The Black Night because "muh uniqueness". You don't see Ganondorf with his Ganon Trident or Falco using weapons from Star Fox Assault. Besides it would break the clone trio. If you give one of them a unique move set based on something they only use in one game you might as well with the rest. I don't see where a Furry with ancient mystical weaponry from one game really fits in with the Space Pilots.

Look at Wolf, his moveset is pretty unique in itself. Clawing at opponents with a more animal-like gait. Only similar moves being special ones, and even those are quite different from Fox's.
And yet it's still the same specials, just performed differently.

Anyways, it doesn't particularly matter what the games she's appeared in to make her moveset.
If it shares little relevance to the franchise and character then I'd say it does.

Yeah, Falco ended up being a flat-out clone of Fox in Melee and only less so in Brawl. Why does that so instantaneously result in any other newcomer to the StarFox series being a clone as well
Because that's the way it's suppose to be. And without her Staff which she most certainly will not have, how the hell would she not be a clone!?

Any character can be unique or not. But honestly, I don't think this argument will go anywhere since we simply aren't Sakurai or the designers of this game. Either one of us can be wrong
I think this is turning into a conversation of what CAN happen and not what WILL happen. Something I don't usually waste my time arguing with, but let's see what else you have to say first.

Enlighten me on this. I'm not super huge on the StarFox scene. What is it about Falco that makes him more important than Slippy or Peppy?
Maybe you didn't read what I just told you.

Certain characters clearly can't be in Smash regardless of how popular or desired they are for the game because Sakurai has claimed that he doesn't want them in the game.
B-b-but! I thought popularity was enough to get you in. :c

Simply stated that being popular can get a character into Smash without them being important to their series.
Well, **** logic then. With popularity ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! Because you know that's how it's always been in Super Smash Brothers. That's why we got unimportant characters like Fawful, Scizor, and Pigma. Oh, wait no we didn't! Because those popular characters weren't important.

I see you have chosen to simply ignore logic, patterns, or reasoning to convince yourself that popularity is the sole criteria of any character, yet with no basis for why you think that when literally nothing suggests your crazy belief that it actually works that way. In which case I'd really like you not to reply again.

Morbi

Scavenger
Even though it usually starts a flame war, it's the topic which we get a lot of discussion from, besides Newcomers in general. All of the other veteran series are boring to talk about because it's usually unanimous in sides, while Fire Emblem brings up the debater in most of us.
That is a good point. Most people agree on other series, or the opinion is so insignificant that it doesn't really contribute to discussion. Like Samurai Goroh for instance, he is obviously a great choice that has been heavily alluded to by Sakurai (in Melee's cutscene, or Brawl's AT). He is a great "villain" for Captain Falcon which has made F-Zero a staple of Smash. If Mother can get a second rep, surely F-Zero can. No one really opposes that notion, if they do, there is no other viable replacement opinion. Or Pokemon, most people agree that it will be Brawl's line-up and Mewtwo. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is fairly unanimous that this will be the case.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fire Emblem must be a REALLY popular series. If we were to base characters on discussion time on Smashboards, I truly believe that Smash could have Marth, Ike, Chrom, Roy, Lyn, Anna, Robin, and Lucina as playable characters.
Fire Emblem is only popular in the context of Super Smash Bros., which makes sense considering most Fire Emblem fans first recognized the series from Super Smash Bros.

Also it doesn't help that there is a lot of resentment towards the series as a whole. As a fan, it's very justified.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In terms of moveset uniqueness, would you choose Isaac or Shulk?

I like both, but I choose Isaac, because as far as I know Shulk's moveset is mostly based around the Monado.

Isaac.

Aside from King K.Rool, I cannot picture a character with a more unique and awesome moveset as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom