• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Honestly, had these quarrelsome Fire Emblem discussions not have turned away the majority of speculators on these forums, the premise of another Fire Emblem character would be far more appreciated, perhaps even accepted. It's a series well-deserving of characters. But alas, it is a poisonous topic-of-choice.

At the very least, we can take solace in the fact this isn't the pre-Brawl discussions about the then-current Fire Emblem character selection. That would be atrocious.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just throwing some random thoughts out there.

I kinda wanted Black Shadow. Though he isn't likely, I do think that he's cool. That dude is voiced by M. Bison, that has to count for something. Not against Goroh either, but Takamaru might offer a bit more moveset wise if we're talking about samurais.

If we're talking other third parties, I'd gladly play as Simon Belmont, he's got enough to offer moveset wise too. But Snake might as far Konami wants to go with Smash, which is fine. Though on a complete bias, I'd dropkick a dude for a second Megaman character, as unlikely as it is.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why do act like Simon would have replaced Snake instead of Bomberman!? Isn't the whole belief that Snake would have been replaced because muh Nintendo affiliation? Why replace Konami's mascot with someone with little to no Nintendo Affiliation outside Captain ****ing N? Instead of the more requested and more Nintendo affiliated Bomberman?

Why is Simon Belmont even discussed?

I'll assume you didn't understand the joke.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Why do act like Simon would have replaced Snake instead of Bomberman!? Isn't the whole belief that Snake would have been replaced because muh Nintendo affiliation? Why replace Konami's mascot with someone with little to no Nintendo Affiliation outside Captain ****ing N? Instead of the more requested and more Nintendo affiliated Bomberman?

Because Dracula's Castle is a cool idea for a stage :awesome:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I find it surprising that even the most careful speculators fail to look at speculation outside a North American point of view. Which is hilarious considering what country Sakurai is from.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace

Because Simon Belmont, while unlikely to begin with, would be an interesting character. In fact, I would argue Belmont would be a far more interesting choice for a playable character than Bomberman, especially in terms of bringing in an excitable selection of 1) a diverse array of items to choose from, 2) aesthetically-awesome stages that would convey a sense of power, and 3) a legendary musical score. Both would, however, have great potential for a uniquely-inclined move-set and a considerable hype factor.

Considering the iconic Snake will certainly never be replaced (or even replicated) by either two, it would be pointless to even discuss these matters. Unless, of course, we pertain to the possible scenario Sakurai will extend access to another third-party character from Konami (because either Belmont or Bomberman would be far-more engaging options than Pac-Man). However, I would rather Super Smash Brothers not lose focus on Nintendo characters by adding too much of these characters, as they are special-cases and should be kept as such.

Allowing Snake and Sonic to maintain a status as veteran mainstays, along with another occasional third-party character in the mix (if Mega Man's a one-time addition), is good enough for my partial standards.

I find it surprising that even the most careful speculators fail to look at speculation outside a North American point of view. Which is hilarious considering what country Sakurai is from.
For the most part, Sakurai does indeed have preferential biases towards the Japanese market of consumers. Yet, depending on whether or not Ridley and Little Mac are included in Super Smash Brothers Wii U and 3DS, will determine how important Sakurai does view the North American market's requests as well, in terms of priority. Japan may always lead other countries in that regard, yet it doesn't mean the other countries will be overlooked entirely.

Also, note there are a small number of cases where high demand from the Japanese fan-base will not always necessarily correlate with a character selection - Toad is a prime example (although they were pessimistic to begin with, the character was still popular, nonetheless).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Yeah, cause you know, it's not like Castlevania didn't have three NES games. Or two SNES games. Or two Nintendo 64 games. No wait, that happened. They've had games on the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and the DS. And its not like the most recent game was on the 3DS either. Again, that did happened. And yeah, Captain N did happen, but that's hardly the extent of Simon's(or at the very least, Castlevaina's)connection to Nintendo. Hell the dude even showed up in a Castlevania fighting game for the Wii(though the game was weird)

As for why he is being discussed, he's a popular character that his series has pretty decent ties to Nintendo. And on top of this, he could offer a really cool fighting style no one else in the game industry might be able to offer. Well, maybe Kratos if wanted to, but no way is a Sony character getting on a Nintendo system.

Also, please tell me when did Bomberman get more request? Nothing against the guy, but I genuinely wish to know.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do people intentionally disregard the blatant circumstances under which Snake was included? We are not going to get another Konami representative. Snake was an exception, Sonic and Megaman got in on their own merit.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, cause you know, it's not like Castlevania didn't have three NES games. Or two SNES games. Or two Nintendo 64 games. No wait, that happened. They've had games on the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and the DS. And its not like the most recent game was on the 3DS either. Again, that did happened. And yeah, Captain N did happen, but that's hardly the extent of Simon's(or at the very least, Castlevaina's)connection to Nintendo. Hell the dude even showed up in a Castlevania fighting game for the Wii(though the game was weird)
Exclusives on Nintendo consoles? How unique. It's not like other franchise have exclusives on Nintendo franchise. No, wait they do. Oh, well it's not like Bomberman had more plus crossovers and cameos. No, wait he does.

Also, please tell me when did Bomberman get more request? Nothing against the guy, but I genuinely wish to know.
Since Smash existed. It's common knowledge.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mii & Paper Mario

Mii should burn in all eternity.

Paper Mario I can semi-agree with. He's cool, but will definitely draw from elements used on Mario and Mr.Game & Watch. King K.Rool and Isaac are still at the top for me.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace

Although I agree with the majority of your statements, I take issue to this particular statement. In Shortie's poll, Bomberman does have a few hundred points over Simon Belmont.

EDIT: However, the poll is just one representative sample out of many others, so it should only be applied in regards to the Smashboards community at large.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, in every region varies choices thrown around are very consistent with one another. Like for example, characters like Palutena, K. Rool, and Shulk are consistent for both the west and east. However, there are some exceptions that defies this rule. Ridley, Little Mac, and Isaac are more popular in the west, while characters like Dixie Kong and Black Shadow have more popularity in the east.

However, there won't be a focus on only one region. It's been stated (or implied) that there is consideration for both sides. Like it's been mentioned that Pit had popularity in both North America and Japan, while talking about Wii Fit Trainer Sakurai mentions taking requests from around the world.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Exclusives on Nintendo consoles? How unique. :rolleyes:

Since Smash existed. It's common knowledge.
Well, considering that you seemed so hung up on how close his series was to Nintendo, I figured I'd mention it. And what's unique about Simon isn't just his ties to Nintendo. But rather was kind of fighting style he'll bring. I'm mostly talking about the Vampire Killer whip. But Holy Water, knives, Crosses and axes would be fun to use. Namely the axes, since he have very few lobbing projectiles.
That so? Again, do you have anything to back this up? Not trying to sound rude or anything. Maybe like a poll or something. I actually find bomberman to be kinda interesting, But I personally prefer Simon.

Aaaaand this is like the third time I tried to post this. Sorry.

Although I agree with the majority of your statements, I take issue to this particular statement. InShortie's poll, Bomberman does have a few hundred points over Simon Belmont.

EDIT: However, the poll is just one representative sample out of many others, so it should only be applied in regards to the Smashboards community at large.

Ah, I see. That's all I'm asking for.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
2D, light weight, nearly same size as Paper Mario would be. Uses a hammer for a lot of attacks...

Seriously, just search for a Brawl hack that has Paper Mario over Game & Watch with the same moveset. It works surpringly well. Am not saying he will be a G&W clone, just think of them as Kirby / Jigglypuff. With of course a lot of Mario thrown in.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, in every region varies choices thrown around are very consistent with one another. However, there won't be a focus on only one region.
That's all I was trying to point out. The statement you made about Fire Emblem was made as a statement about it's general popularity with no indication that you were referring to North America. Which bothered me because in that case your statement was false.

I don't know about you, but I sure got a Tingle.
Here's my Tingle Bottle

*gives bottle*

You can put anything in this bottle.........anything that...........makes you tingle...

But still, a lot of us really want this source, for reasons other than just calling you out on it.
Do you need a source for Sonic's popularity too?

Espio264

Smash Ace
Do you need a source for Sonic's popularity too?
Sonic's popularity hasn't been called into question here. And considering he has/will have 2 appearances to Bomberman's none (as far as we know), that's enough right there.

I'm honestly not calling your credibility into question, I desperately want Bomberman too, I'm seriously curious of this certainty that you have so that I may also believe he has a better shot than what really seems likely.

Up until now it just looks like you've polled a group of Bomberman fans to conclude that he's popular enough to be a certainty. It's like you've gone to a Steelers game and asked people in the crowd, "who's the best team in football?"

I would just like to be as sure as you are, and forgive me for not taking your word as enough.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
2D, light weight, nearly same size as Paper Mario would be.
Oh, how unoriginal!!!!! King K. Rool is clearly more unique considering he's a fat reptile king.

Uses a hammer for a lot of attacks...
More than and with no similarity to Mr. Game & Watch's

Seriously, just search for a Brawl hack that has Paper Mario over Game & Watch with the same moveset. It works surpringly well.
Yes, I'm sure Mario using a frying pan, parachute, bucket, manhole, seaturtle, Scuba Diver Helmet, and turning into an Octupus works surprisingly well. Really fits his character you know.

Am not saying he will be a G&W clone, just think of them as Kirby / Jigglypuff. With of course a lot of Mario thrown in.
Which makes NO sense considering none of Mr. Game & Watch's moves are related to him being flat. They're ALL from Game & Watch games. You know Meta Knight and Ike have a sword. JUST LOOK AT ALL THE SIMILARITIES!

Well, considering that you seemed so hung up on how close his series was to Nintendo, I figured I'd mention it. And what's unique about Simon isn't just his ties to Nintendo. But rather was kind of fighting style he'll bring.
His uniqueness has nothing to do with his affiliation with Nintendo and does not give him more requests than Bomberman.

And he are those requests combining that with the painfully obvious popularity and requests from the last 3 installments it should come as no surprise.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ssb4-poll-lounge-votes-hit-2300.324324/

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That's all I was trying to point out. The statement you made about Fire Emblem was made as a statement about it's general popularity with no indication that you were referring to North America. Which bothered me because in that case your statement was false.
I was referring to everywhere. A lot of people got into Fire Emblem because of Super Smash Bros., more so leaning towards Roy then Marth. In Japan, the 6th game in the series Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is one of the most popular installments in the series, because of Super Smash Bros. giving a sneak preview of the game due to Roy. While in North America and Europe, the prequel simply titled Fire Emblem had critical and financial success, with the game being localized being influenced by the exposure in Super Smash Bros., even making Eliwood extremely similar to Roy as a homage to that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just throwing this out there. I'd be super happy if the Miis aren't added. I'm one guy who'll get used to almost idea eventually. But I just never liked them, their existence kind of bothers me in Mario Kart, as they don't mesh in with the rest of the cast all too well looking low-poly and junk. Granted, this is Smash where Link, Samus and Kirby can stand around next to each other and that manages to work.

But I think that they'd be boring on top of that too. Can't see too much fun to be had with them. Eh, whatever happens, happens. So anyone want to talk about what possible customization stuff is supposed to make it into Smash 4?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just throwing this out there. I'd be super happy if the Miis aren't added. I'm one guy who'll get used to almost idea eventually. But I just never liked them, their existence kind of bothers me in Mario Kart, as they don't mesh in with the rest of the cast all too well looking low-poly and junk. Granted, this is Smash where Link, Samus and Kirby can stand around next to each other and that manages to work.

But I think that they'd be boring on top of that too. Can't see too much fun to be had with them. Eh, whatever happens, happens. So anyone want to talk about what possible customization stuff is supposed to make it into Smash 4?
I'm pretty sure that Miis will be the only customizable characters in this game. Their bland, yet well-known characters that could use some customizable attacks. It's going to be real interesting to how they turn out.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If Mii is customizable, then it's guaranteed nobody will main it.

Customizable characters are typically banned in multiplayer related events, due to the high probability of creating game breaking attributes. So for all two people that would actually consider touching the character, good luck with that.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There could be a MP system to which you are limited in all attributes, for example if you have alot of strength, the amount of speed is decreased by alot. For sure there will be a balance system that will prevent OP Miis.
Perhaps there could also be tournaments focused solely on Miis. :awesome:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Perhaps there could also be tournaments focused solely on Miis. :awesome:

I'm sorry, but I don't really see this happening. Furthermore, if you happen to go online, there's always the chance there's going to be those, ahem, questionable Miis.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good evening all, hope you're all doing well. Well, you're all talking about Miis, Fire Emblem, and so much sarcasm that it's literally dripping out a disgusting, unwanted mess out onto the floor that nobody is willing to clean up, typical...typical. Regardless, I'll just give my two cents and just say to forget about the Miis, they're a mediocre choice that I openly regret ever having on my roster, almost as much regret as having to see the Chrom and Roy fandoms clash every week about which useless character should get in over the other useless character, and I chose the lesser of two evils.

Edit: Glad it's taken me about five times to post this, thanks Smashboards.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Oh, how unoriginal!!!!! King K. Rool is clearly more unique considering he's a fat reptile king.
Why do you seem to dislike King K. Rool?

I'm not attempting to act as if I'm a thought police trying to control your opinion (because we are all are given freedom to voice our inclinations), but rather I'm genuinely curious as to why you do seem to dislike the character. Does this have anything to do with some of your contentious disagreements with BKupa666?

His uniqueness has nothing to do with his affiliation with Nintendo and does not give him more requests than Bomberman.

And he are those requests combining that with the painfully obvious popularity and requests from the last 3 installments it should come as no surprise.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ssb4-poll-lounge-votes-hit-2300.324324/
That's not what Thekewlusername was getting at. What he was getting at was 1) Simon Belmont (and Castlevania in general), while not nearly as Nintendo-affiliated as Bomberman, has had multiple Nintendo-exclusive titles that would lend well to the acceptance of Belmont as a fitting inclusion in a so-called Nintendo All-Stars battle royal, and 2) Simon Belmont's popularity isn't the be-all-end-all for his inclusion chances, as he has other factors to consider.

As for the claim that Simon Belmont's "uniqueness" would also lend itself well into a Super Smash Brothers title, I do not believe he meant to combine these statements among his earlier statements regarding popularity. Rather, I believe he meant to move on to another topic concerning other qualities Belmont possesses, and how Sakurai may theoretically look into this. Certainly, a transition into another paragraph would have clarified the statement more accurately, but all-in-all, you might be misinterpreting Thekewlusername's original intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom