• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
On second hand, I'd have Skyward Impa for 5th Rep. Not. Replacing. Sheik.

But mah overrepresentation?

Not that I care but...

Seriously, is overrepresentation more accepted than cutting Sheik now?

Gune

Smash Lord
it still does, and if you want to hear a heap lot more of it, go to the other sites,
I've been hearing the same crap about wolf and why he should be cut for the 5 months now, ever since the first super smash bros trailer
the same "another space animal? oh lets cut him for something better like Mario or Zelda"
or maybe "another landmaster? ohhhh instant clone, lets get rid of him"
or "oh why did he get in except krystal? we need them bobiez" the same S*** gets tiring over 5 months!
I just wish that he gets revealed soon, so I can end this madness
Lucario, Ike and jigglypuff fans are getting the same crap your not alone.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
We have this argument everyday here now that Diddy's back, but...
What's a legitimate reason to cut Sheik?
I mean, a character that has been in both Melee and Brawl should basically be considered a shoo in by now.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
But mah overrepresentation?

Not that I care but...

I don't feel that having 6 Zelda Reps is overrepping if we got 6 Pokemon Reps in Brawl and 5 Zelda Reps. I'm all for as little cuts as possible. Just as long as we don't get characters that make little sense in terms of being integral. Sheik hasn't really been relevant as much, yes, but everyone and his brother knows what Ocarina of Time is and that's how most people recall Zelda as, with Sheik attached.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zelda is popular enough to warrant 5 characters? Right? :p

Yes.

But where's the 5th Mario rep?

Seriously, keeping Sheik and adding Impa would mean 6 Zelda characters.

AGAIN. I am not bothered by this but...

I don't feel that having 6 Zelda Reps is overrepping if we got 6 Pokemon Reps in Brawl and 5 Zelda Reps. I'm all for as little cuts as possible. Just as long as we don't get characters that make little sense in terms of being integral. Sheik hasn't really been relevant as much, yes, but everyone and his brother knows what Ocarina of Time is and that's how most people recall Zelda as, with Sheik attached.
That's like saying Ocarina of Time is the only Zelda game that counts. Seriously, it's overrated. Zelda was huge before Ocarina of Time, and might've gone downwards after it but Skyward Sword marked a whole new direction according to Miyamoto. So I think a character is due now.

Twilight Princess was basically Ocarina of Time lite + Wolf mode and better graphics. Hence why it didn't really warrant a newcomer as it was trying to be a game that was already established. And, Sheik was supposed to be in there.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Yes.

This implies that we haven't had 5th Mario Reps in the past (Clone or not). We can have it again. There's logical options that don't sound like filler.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yes.

Dr. Mario is a filler if you want want to equate "balance" on the big three. :p

Zelda already had more than Mario in Brawl, you know.

Yet no one is bothered by it. :awesome:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
We have this argument everyday here now that Diddy's back, but...
What's a legitimate reason to cut Sheik?
I mean, a character that has been in both Melee and Brawl should basically be considered a shoo in by now.

Well, not only that, but she's become quite popular as well. Might as well be asking to remove Luigi. I believe Sheik's established herself as a permanent character by this point. Also, I don't really think "over-representation" is a thing... It's Zelda for Miyamoto's sake. It kinda deserves it. As well as Super Mario and Pokemon. The most popular and recognizable franchises receiving the most reps seems logical enough, imo.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Zelda is popular enough to warrant 5 characters? Right? :p
Yes, it is.
The question is why would it be Impa? She's reoccurring, but she's barely got a role in most of the games. Toon Zelda, Tingle, and even Vaati have larger roles. Not to mention she's quite low on the popularity level as well.
She's not likely in the first place, but replacing Sheik won't even be considered.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh, and when I said: 'I made up my mind'. I actually meant: 'Damn now who do I choose between Tetra and Sheik?'

Actually, this shouldn't be too difficult... :smirk:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it is.
The question is why would it be Impa? She's reoccurring, but she's barely got a role in most of the games. Toon Zelda, Tingle, and even Vaati have larger roles. Not to mention she's quite low on the popularity level as well.
She's not likely in the first place, but replacing Sheik won't even be considered.

Impa does seem to have a decent role in the Zelda games. But I don't think their roles are really important when it comes to whether they deserve to be in Smash or not.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Popular enough to warrant 5 characters =/= 5 characters must be added at all costs, regardless of who they are

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Again, don't really see why Mario needs another newcomer. I mean the series is already whored to death, so let's look into something else.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey guys, I'm the new owner of the Bandana Dee thread!!!
I made modifications in the OP and I create a poll.
So if you want to check it... Well,that would be cool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, not only that, but she's become quite popular as well. Might as well be asking to remove Luigi. I believe Sheik's established herself as a permanent character by this point. Also, I don't really think "over-representation" is a thing... It's Zelda for Miyamoto's sake. It kinda deserves it. As well as Super Mario and Pokemon. The most popular and recognizable franchises receiving the most reps seems logical enough, imo.
Luigi has had games of his own. He was even playable in his first appearance. Comparing Sheik to Luigi just... Can't be done. When Luigi is basically THE character to associate Player 2 with and Sheik is... Teaching you songs.

Agree that it makes sence Mario, Zelda and Pokémon are the biggest namesakes and thus deserve the most characters.

Mario still can get it's Newcomer to btw. There haven't been any other Newcomers announced since Wii Fit Trainer, so it's all still possible. It's just not gonna be Toad (who I wanted most of all) or Rosalina (since that Galaxy 'group picture' thing). Paper Mario has become increasingly likely cause of this. And damn, would I LOVE seeing that dude in the Mario Galaxy level :laugh:

Yes, it is.
The role Impa has literally is to connect Link with Zelda. (Source: "The old female storyteller who feeds information to Zelda is named Impa; her name comes from the word impart." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 2-3) )

The only game where she appeared in where she didn't have a rather important role are the Oracle games.

She was a Sage in 2 games, Ocarina of Time and
A Link Between World, apperantly
. And she's also been build of a warrior in 2 games, Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword. Her role is easily comparable to that of Zelda in Skyward Sword. It's also the game she's most likely gonna be based of if made playable.

Tingle does almost nothing in the games he appears in. His most noticably important role is in fact in Wind Waker. And I argue it's even less important than Impa's role in Ocarina of Time.

Sure her latest role is nothing special compared to Skyward Sword, but she's there nonetheless. Which other Zelda character can you name besides Link and Zelda who've appeared in most of the latest Zelda games? Was gonna say all, then I realised Wind Waker HD (still, Impa got a cameo there). She's on par with Ganon in this matter.

Honestly, just watch her being in Zelda Wii U and suddenly be massively requested next Smash game if she isn't gonna make it in this time.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Again, don't really see why Mario needs another newcomer. I mean the series is already *****d to death, so let's look into something else.
But "durr big 3 franchise equality". :psycho:

Ok, New topic, um...
Mother?
If there was one Mother newcomer planned, it would be Porky. The filler character if Porky does not make it would be Ninten.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Again, don't really see why Mario needs another newcomer. I mean the series is already *****d to death, so let's look into something else.
Because Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise.
I mean, it doesn't need it in Smash 4, but as other franchises, especially Pokémon and Zelda, increase in representation, Mario should move up as well.
Because technically, different symbol = different franchise, so as of now Mario only has 4 characters.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I'm the new owner of the Bandana Dee thread!!!
I made modifications in the OP and I create a poll.
So if you want to check it... Well,that would be cool XD
USURPER KING CHANDELURE.

If there was one Mother newcomer planned, it would be Porky. The filler character if Porky does not make it would be Ninten.
This. However, I'm not sure Porky would be considered first... =(

----

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
DK and Metroid could both use newcomers, and we all know which characters they should be.

Mario and Zelda are fine as they are, but it wouldn't hurt to add another character, it'd be a bonus if you ask me, assuming other characters from different franchises get in before another Mario or Zelda newcomer.

I'd much rather look into new franchises that have yet to get a playable character in Smash such as Punch-Out, Golden Sun or Xenoblade (Shulk seems like he could be interesting based on what I've heard, though I still do not know much about him or Xenoblade) along with the DK franchise as it is easily the next best choice for a franchise to have a total of 4 characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just wanna see Paper Mario folding himself into a paper plane in the Galaxy stage because it would look hilarious as ****.

Also, King K.Rool and Anthony Higgs.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Because Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise.
I mean, it doesn't need it in Smash 4, but as other franchises, especially Pokémon and Zelda, increase in representation, Mario should move up as well.
Because technically, different symbol = different franchise, so as of now Mario only has 4 characters.
It should only move up if there is a strong choice available, not increase the number just for the sake of increasing numbers.

I think that is a massive misconception people are making. We do play as characters you know, and if all of the best choices are already available, there isn't a reason to force anything onto us if it's just small potatoes. Don't care that Super Mario Bros. is one of the biggest franchises Nintendo has, that doesn't mean we're forced to stomach the likes of Waluigi or Daisy just for the sake of expanding something that doesn't need expanding.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toad would have made sense as the next Mario character. But that boat has sailed.

Paper Mario could bring a wealth of mechanics. So, he could add dynamic, interesting gameplay. But the character itself doesn't really pop out as an exciting addition. If Sakurai thinks his partners or abilities to fold would translate nicely into a fighter, he very well could be added. But only if thought and development is really going to be invested in him. I would see him as similar to the "Ice Climbers" in regards to exciting gameplay existing in a bland shell in this edition of Smash.

The other Mario characters might seem forced.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I just wanna see Paper Mario folding himself into a paper plane in the Galaxy stage because it would look hilarious as ****.

Also, King K.Rool and Anthony Higgs.
First one is a 50/50, either him or Dixie, second one is a miracle, and I'd love to see him in.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You should take inspiration from me and draw them yourself on Paint, like this masterpiece here.:awesome:
Bowser looks like he ate something sour, Yoshi looks like someone is fondling him from behind, Dedede looks absolutely defeated, the entire FE lineup looks ****ing pissed, Pac-Man looks almost human, Mewtwo looks like stranger-danger child kidnaper, and Ms. Fit bears a passing resemblance to a certain white-faced depressed teenager found in Kakariko Village.

All of these things make this roster great!!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I feel Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario are the next most logical choices for a Mario newcomer, though a Mario newcomer is still not necessary, nor is a Zelda newcomer. Still, as long as other characters take priority over a Mario or Zelda newcomer, I feel it wouldn't hurt to add a newcomer for one of those two franchises

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If you ever feel as though Mario isn't sufficiently "repped," go look at how many stages, items, songs, trophies, and stickers it has in comparison to other high-selling series, then come back and see if you feel as strongly that it's a horrible injustice if it doesn't have just one more character.

Times to post: 2

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It should only move up if there is a strong choice available, not increase the number just for the sake of increasing numbers.

I think that is a massive misconception people are making. We do play as characters you know, and if all of the best choices are already available, there isn't a reason to force anything onto us if it's just small potatoes. Don't care that Super Mario Bros. is one of the biggest franchises Nintendo has, that doesn't mean we're forced to stomach the likes of Waluigi or Daisy just for the sake of expanding something that doesn't need expanding.
The times where uniqueness and (sometimes) distinctiveness become key factors.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you ever feel as though Mario isn't sufficiently "repped," go look at how many stages, items, songs, trophies, and stickers it has in comparison to other high-selling series, then come back and see if you feel as strongly that it's a horrible injustice if it doesn't have just one more character.

Times to post: 2

Cut 3 Mario stages, add in Paper Mario.

Also, remove some of the stupid items like the Lightning Bolt that make Smash feel like Mario Kart.

Mucho obrigado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom