• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I love all this flair over my Ike opinion. It is missing the real point of the argument that people will be cut and that the real roster will be about 40 characters.
Even if we ignore the fact about ike/marth. Ike will still be cut. He is an old hat and was only in because his game was the newest in the line. Roy was very popular in melee and if they wanted, they could have retooled him. They chose to cut him out. Ike will suffer the same fate. Lucario will be cut in favor of Mewtwo. Lucario was only chosen because he was the "Mewtwo" of the newest generation at the time.

Toon Link, Wolf and Lucas all are semi-clones of Link, Fox and Ness. None of them really matter to much in those regards.

Logically, if we replace Ike with say Lucina, Lucario with Mewtwo. That leaves us with 3 new character slots to total at 39 (like brawl). I am sure more characters will get cut. Depends on who and what. I suspect PT will get the ax. He was an experiment and given how most players treated him, he will not be missed (IE hacking to remove what made him original). That gives us 3 more spaces. Round to 40 and we have 7 spaces for new and unique movesets.

Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager take up three spaces. That leaves 4 new spaces for new and unique movesets.
That is logical and would fit with all his comments.

He has said that we have reached the limit of the amount of characters. He has also said that he will add as many as he can. He is considering balancing and given rumors, there may be a customization feature. Given this information, 40 is very reasonable. No more than 45. I would also say.

40-45 is most reasonable. Anything more is wishful thinking. I could see less given how the 3DS is a more personal experience and both games are to share the same roster.

Oh, and for reference.
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Clones_or_not_clones?

Just for some giggles.

I am going to expound on my logic for characters.

Mario - Duh
Luigi - Duh
Bowser - Duh
Peach - Duh
Donkey Kong - Duh
Diddy and Dixie - This was an idea he wanted to do in Brawl, but was talked out of it. Given how it is a new group and that the new DKs are so team based, representing that in Brawl would work. IT would also have an Ice climbers dynamic, but be fresh because you can switch to get a new moveset.
Yoshi - Duh
Wario - He is a mario character.
Villager - Announced
Pikmin and Olimar - While I think it might not be Olimar this time around, a Pikmin rep will exist.
Ness - Duh
Link - Represents the more modern Zelda Games
Zelda / Sheik - Represents the OoT and MM Games
Toon Ganon - Represents the WW and Toon styled games. With him, it represents almost the entire series. Makes sense given this information.
Samus/ZZS - Duh / Why not keep it?
Fox - Duh
Falco - Very popular and has been in since Melee
Captain Falcon - Duh
Kirby - Duh
Meta-Knight - He is from Sakurai's series. He has a 50/50 cut, but I seem him making it again
King Dedede - Sakurai wanted him in the original and he was in brawl.
Marth - Poster boy of the series
Lucina - One of the most popular characters in the new game.
Mr. Game and Watch - Unique
ROB - Last games unexpected. - Unique
Pikachu - Duh
Jigglypuff - Duh
Mewtwo/Newtwo - Cut from melee, but he is the new poster boy for the new gen.
Pit - Announced
Ice Climbers - Unique
Lil Mac - I am unsure about him. I might cut him out in favor of someone else. Still, he fits for now.
Wii Fit trainer - Just pure awesome.

Megaman - Announced
Sonic - Wanted again. Sega and Nintendo are also buddy buddy at the moment.
Snake - Doubt a return, but one can hope.
Pac Man - Yes Sakurai said that just because namco is helping, it does not guarantee a rep. But in all reality, it will probably happen.

Why not King K Rool, or Ridley.

If you remember back to the megaman trailer. What was at the very end? The yellow devil. We saw it forming. This could mean a few things. One thing is for certain. Bosses are back. If it is mini bosses during a revamped classic mode, or another SSE, we do not know. But bosses do appear to be returning.

With that, King K Rool and Ridley may be going there.

---
Now to cut charaters.

Lucario - Hold hat compared to Mewtwo.
Ike - Hold hat compared to Chrom, Lucina, etc.
Lucas - He might come back. Sakurai seems to have a fondness for the Mother series. Might replace lil mac with him.
Wolf - Clone of falco. Poinless landmaster tank.
Toon Link - He is Link, but in toon form. Why waste a space with him. Throw in Toon Ganondorf and get the WW rep out of the way. If people are going to miss Ganondorfs moves (which are based on Falcons if people remember), give them to Falcon in some way shape or form.
PT - Might add him back also. Thinking about it. Many people hated being forced to switch pokemon. I mean everyone. They specifically hacked the game to remove the tired function and to seperate the characters out. With that, he was mainly a failure.

Young Link - Will never return
Roy - Very old Hat
Pichu - I liked him, but he was just the Dan of Smash. No point in returning.
Dr. Mario - A costume if any.
My reaction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Why replace Ike with female Marth?
She might not be. And more female characters are always a plus.

Lucina would be more of a clone to Marth than Ike....

But anyways, far enough. I still don't agree about the amount of cuts but those are your opinions. They are fact. The possibility still lies that you are in fact wrong. However, the way you say things suggest you feel you are absolutly right. "Ike will be cut. Wolf will be cut. Toon Link will be cut." You never suggest that you could be wrong. And that's what angers or frustrates people. What you say are educated guesses yet to portray them as fact in an abrupt manner while neglecting to evaluate or reconsider others opinions. I hate to say it but I joe you are 100% wrong in your predictions cause, well, IMo that's a lack luster, depressing roster.

I think there will be cuts but not the extreme you suggested. As well, I don't agree with some of the replacements you suggested such as Lucina, Diddy plus Dixie, and Toon Ganon while completely going over popular and likely characters such as Ridley, Palutena, Takamaru and even suggest Little Mac won't make it in. There is a reason why they are all popular and likely picks. Not only because they are popular but they are relevant, unique, demanded, and iconic.

That's my piece. At least you are pulling a Noah and flipping out. You are handling a lot of the flair in a calm manner at least.

given Yellow Devil is in the Megaman Trailer, Ridley will probably be a boss.
Toon Ganon is a good idea and was requested for a long time mainly because people wanted to get away from Captain Ganonalcon.

I hate cuts also, but if there is anything Brawl taught me, it will happen. I honestly expect all those characters to be cut based on what I have said. Diddy plus Dixie was from brawls development. I will say it, I may be wrong, but I am basing my opinion on the past and what Sakurai has done before.

I remember the hype before brawl when everyone was posting character rosters of 45-50. I do not expect the same from Smash for Wii U.
As for Palutena and Takamaru. I sat down and said "Realistically. How many characters can we expect. If Sakurai is willing to make cuts, who would go. We know he said he does not like making cuts. Why would he say that if he would make none? It makes no sense. This means that someone is getting cut. Who would go? Lets look at Melee to Brawl. Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link went. Clones/Semi-clones were cut. Mewtwo was cut in favor of Lucario. Following this logic, Lucas, Wolf, Toon Link will go. Lucario will be replaced with the new next gen. PT I am iffy on with cutting, but I can see it.

Sakurai said himself that we have reached an Apex. This means 40-45 characters at most. He has to re-add all the old ones. Re-balance them and even change them. This takes alot of time. If we have mini-bosses (yellow devil), then it might take even more time to deal with things. Given this, his statement of "I will put in as many as I can" can mean two things. He will go the distance and give us more than 40 or it means that we will end up with a number we will not be happy with (like alot were with brawl.)

As for Ike and Marth. I will admit that they are not 100% clones. but Ike is still based on Marth. (And because I do not want to argue the point anymore. There is nothing that people will say that will change this thought. I thought it when I use Ike, I thought when when he was announced and I still think it even though I have not played brawl in over a year.)

CALLED IT!!!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
He also said the Villager can not be playable after developing Nrawl. He also said Brawl would be his last Smash. I think while we should look to what Salurai says; it can always change. That being said, nothing is set into stone until the finished project. Sakurai has stated, as you said, that he will try and put many characters into the game. He also stated earlier last year that the brawl roster size was perfect. Salurai tends to make one statement and then retract it later in the year. IMO, I think Sakurai will try his best to add our favorite veterans and newcomers. I might be setting myself up for dissapointment but its worth it.

I have yet to see any support for Toon Ganon. I think most want OoT Ganon with a sword. Yellow Devil being in the trailer does not mean anything for Ridley not being included not does it indicate a boss. Not to mention that, according to Sakurai, there won't be an adventure mode like the SSE. I think Ridley and King k. Rool still have a great chance in appearing as well as Takamaru and Palutena.

In my opinion, I think Sakurai will focus on the roster and gameplay rather than content and story. I foresee a reduction in trophies, music, items, videos, and elimination of stickers. This would naturally free up space in the 3DS.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sakurai said himself that we have reached an Apex. This means 40-45 characters at most.
He said this before he had the manpower and expertise of the Namco team backing him, I believe. With the team he has now Sakurai can easily balance a larger roster, which was his only concern about roster size in the first place.

>Yellow Devil being in a trailer somehow means Ridley would be a boss

What? No seriously. Wat?
Why do people on here greentext? It doesn't really work in this format.

Anyways, yeah, there's really no basis to assume that YD appearing means that Ridley will be a boss.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
He also said the Villager can not be playable after developing Nrawl. He also said Brawl would be his last Smash. I think while we should look to what Salurai says; it can always change. That being said, nothing is set into stone until the finished project. Sakurai has stated, as you said, that he will try and put many characters into the game. He also stated earlier last year that the brawl roster size was perfect. Salurai tends to make one statement and then retract it later in the year. IMO, I think Sakurai will try his best to add our favorite veterans and newcomers. I might be setting myself up for dissapointment but its worth it.

I have yet to see any support for Toon Ganon. I think most want OoT Ganon with a sword. Yellow Devil being in the trailer does not mean anything for Ridley not being included not does it indicate a boss. Not to mention that, according to Sakurai, there won't be an adventure mode like the SSE. I think Ridley and King k. Rool still have a great chance in appearing as well as Takamaru and Palutena.

In my opinion, I think Sakurai will focus on the roster and gameplay rather than content and story. I foresee a reduction in trophies, music, items, videos, and elimination of stickers. This would naturally free up space in the 3DS.

He said melee was his last before that. Guy keeps getting called back and given how he has fun with the project, it is no wonder why he comes back. Villager has Balloon Fighters balloons. I think he will be a mixture of different characters by the end of it.

His statement of Brawl having enough and he will try his best to add as many as possible do not contradict each other. As many as possible could mean 30.

I have seen tons of support for Toon Ganon. Depends on where you go honestly. Yellow Devil could be a stage hazard or an Assist, but Given the 3DS version, I see it more like a mini-boss. Also, even if we have no SSE. That does not mean there will be no adventure mode or even personalized Story modes for each character. He does have the 3DS to work with also.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Why do people on here greentext? It doesn't really work in this format.

Anyways, yeah, there's really no basis to assume that YD appearing means that Ridley will be a boss.
Because it's fun to green text for no reason. :troll:

Also, pretty much.

EDIT: Saw drag0nscythe's reasoning on the Ridley thread and it still doesn't make any sense.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Saying Ridley is a boss because Yellow Devil appeared in the Mega Man trailer is like comparing a shovel with a book.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
He said melee was his last before that. Guy keeps getting called back and given how he has fun with the project, it is no wonder why he comes back. Villager has Balloon Fighters balloons. I think he will be a mixture of different characters by the end of it.

His statement of Brawl having enough and he will try his best to add as many as possible do not contradict each other. As many as possible could mean 30.

I have seen tons of support for Toon Ganon. Depends on where you go honestly. Yellow Devil could be a stage hazard or an Assist, but Given the 3DS version, I see it more like a mini-boss. Also, even if we have no SSE. That does not mean there will be no adventure mode or even personalized Story modes for each character. He does have the 3DS to work with also.
Now you're just purposely being silly. They have MORE power than Brawl. With that power, they will have the capabilities to increase the roster by a decent amount. Because of this, it is very unlikely that they would need to cut several characters, especially with Sakurai's distaste of cuts in general.

Ignoring the facts makes someone less believeable, which is why no one is agreeing with you. You are basically ignoring the facts that:

1) Ike is NOT a clone of Marth by any meaning of the word. You just needed an excuse to eliminate a character you don't want. Your reasoning can be applied to pretty much every character on the roster. Invalid.

2) Mewtwo and Lucario were meant to coexist on Brawl, meaning that Mewtwo wasn't ever replaced. He was cut based on time restraints, and Sakurai focused on newer characters rather than certain vets. Mewtwo will not "replace" Lucario.

3) The development cycle has changed. It is not just Sakurai anymore. he has a team of people who balanced a roster of nearly 50 characters, or more even. Balancing is no longer an issue, which WAS an issue before Namco was on board with Smash. Sakurai is not a idiot, nor would he ignore the requests of his fans without good reason. If being a clone was a reason to be cut, by your standards, we should've lost Luigi, Falco, Ganondorf, Roy, Pichu, and Toon Link. We only lost two of those listed. Pichu was the only planned cut. Being a clone hardly matters at all. You give it more importance than it requires. Why scrap an entire character who has a lot of popularity, when he can have Namco differentiate them, and then balance them? That probably takes a lot less time to do than create a brand new character to replace them.

4. His recent comments DO matter. You take one quote which is fairly old, and then ignore the new one.

Really, nobody should even be paying attention to you, because while an opinion is not a fact and you are entitled to it, strong opinions are based on facts.

Fact is, Ike isn't a clone of Marth.

EDIT: On Toon Ganondorf.

Him being there without Toon Link would be strange, as there are more games with Toon LInk present than Toon Ganondorf. I would only see him getting in if Toon Link is kept.

But THIS is my opinion.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yet he still says it will be his last. He has a tendency to take back what he says a few years down the road. Not to say he always/will always do that but he has contradicted himself in the past

A 30 character roster would enrage fans due to the large amount of cuts. This is not a Devil May Cry Reboot but the next installment in a game franchise that builds up upon itself. Sakurai knows that a large yet diverse roster will sell. Cuts and a lack of new characters will not sell the game. No, I think Sakurai will be able to make a fairly good sized roster with a diverse amount if characters without making a large amount of cuts (just so you don't think I'm saying 55...I think we will get 44-45 characters.

Well, if there is any, it's barely visible. Whereas King K. Rool and Ridley both have very visible, active fans that are able to catch Sakurai's attention. I do see Toon Ganons chances increasing due to the WW remake but, IMO, it wouldn't make since to not add Toon Link, the star (spirit tracks link is an entirely different character.)

That still doesn't discount villain characters such as Ridley. In fact, it doesn't prove anything. It just merely proves that Yellow Devil will be in SSB4 in some capacity.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Like I said before, I am not going to argue straw men here.
You know what,

SF4 cut Q from Street fighter 3.
KoF 13 cut many characters from the past.
SC5 cut the scythe guy and Kalek.
Tekken 6 cut many people (Tekken Tag 2 had everyone though)
Guilty Gear XX cannot decide to keep Justice or not at times.

Cuts happen in all games.
Melee lost Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy and Mewtwo. Three of which were my mains for that game. You know what, I still enjoyed the hell out of brawl.
Cuts happen. Get rid of the dead weight.
How can you have 3 mains? I thought you could only have one main?

volbound1700

Smash Master
I thought Sakurai's comment about the Brawl roster being perfect was the list of characters not the actual number. He thought most (if not all) the characters were great additions.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok guys, Have found the perfect leak for the game and here is the confirmed roster :troll:

Mario Series:

Mario
Luigi
Waluigi
Baby Waluigi
Paper Peach
Blue Toad
Bowser

Yoshi Series:

Boshi
Yoshi
Baby DK
Baby Wario

Donkey Kong Series:

Donkey Kong
Cranky Cong

Wario Series:

Wario in Pink outfit

Legend of Zelda Series:

Link
Toon Link
Classic Link
CD-i Link
Young Link
CD-i Zelda
King of Hyrule
Baby Ganondorf

Metroid Series:

Samus

Fire Emblem Series:

Marth
Chrom/ clone of Marth
Roy/clone of Marth
Lyn/clone of Marth

Kirby Series:

Kirby
Keeby
Whispy Woods
Turbo speed Metaknight

Pokemon Series:

Pikcachu
Pichu
Raichu
Jigglypuff
Mew

Star Fox Series:

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
Peppy
Slippy
Andross
Landmaster
Paper Falco
Dry Dry Falco

Other Nintendo:

Pit
Olimar
Pikmin (You play as one)
Dark Pit
Baby Pit
Metal Pit
Yarn Pit
Dry Pit
Dr. Pit (shoots pills instead of arrows, real cool)
ROB
Mr. Saturn
Mrs. Game & Watch
Mike Tyson
Excite Bike
Captain Falcon
Wii Fit Trainer
Male Wii Fit Trainer
The measuring machine from Wii Fit
Nintendo Dog
Miis
Villager

Third Party:

Goku
Shadow - from Sonic the Hedgehog
Megaman
Duke Nukem

This is the confirmed final roster... my source is very good, thoughts?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Okay, I tweaked my actual roster a bit.

49 slots with 52 movesets. No cuts, 12 newcomers, 2 returning veterans.

Changes from before:
- Paper Mario removed
- Tingle removed
- Dixie Kong added
Id say this is pretty accurate but I dont think FE will get a fourth character this time, so I dont think crom will be a character. I think Bowser Jr. will be in almost 100% (with shadow mario or not (but it better be with shadow mario!!!)). I also think Diddy and Dixie will be combined into one character slot due to that being sakurai's original vision. Thats about it otherwise it has a really good chance tbh.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's not like we didn't expect maybe a few cuts. It's that we didn't want him to. But this article, and the source it came from, does not make it seem that they will be cutting the roster significantly, nor does it say who will be cut.

You are "told you so" based on the fact that the roster will be 40 characters. This article doesn't point at that at all. There is nothing hinting at 8+ characters being cut. As that would indeed be ridiculous.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
^^ Sakurai never said specifically from Brawl. This is true.

Granted, I do think there will be some sort of cut from Brawl now, but i'm uncertain.

At this point, no one can prove that any single character will be cut.

Actually, wait a minute.

The last lines of the article show that Sakurai isn't cutting anyone yet. It will be if he can't fit everyone he wants to.

He is apologizing in advance. Basically, this article needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

D

Deleted member

Guys, didn't I ****ing tell you that Noah was only the first of what was to come?

MY level of "I Told You So" is through the roof.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
^^ Sakurai never said specifically from Brawl. This is true.

Granted, I do think there will be some sort of cut from Brawl now, but i'm uncertain.

At this point, no one can prove that any single character will be cut.

Actually, wait a minute.

The last lines of the article show that Sakurai isn't cutting anyone yet. It will be if he can't fit everyone he wants to.

He is apologizing in advance. Basically, this article needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

But like melee, we can make educated guesses.

Goodbye Wolf, Ike, Lucario, Lucas and Toon Link.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But like melee, we can make educated guesses.

See, here is the problem with you. You make your educated guesses as if they are instantly fact. They aren't. So stop acting like they are.

We don't know who will be gone and when they will be gone. So for right now, all we know is that there may be cuts.

Let's leave it at that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But like melee, we can be paranoid.

Fixed.
There's a difference between making an educated guess and stretching a fact to its extremes.

@FalKoopa Also too many swordsman for the FE reps, maybe add a bit of variety to it.
I know. It's quite unlikely to get 4 FE reps. I just put them to avoid a storm.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Fixed.
There's a difference between making an educated guess and stretching a fact to its extremes.

I know. It's quite unlikely to get 4 FE reps. I just put them to avoid a storm.

There were cuts from melee to brawl. It is realistic to expect cuts and those are the top 5 on the list. To think otherwise is living in denial.

And FE will probably only get 2-3 reps. Given how many characters exist.

D

Deleted member

Only cut I honestly see being deliberately made (as in, like Pichu and Young Link) is Toon Link.
-Low priority character in Brawl.
-While had a different style, he was the most clone-like of the characters.
-Possible replacement is available in Downfall Link (screw the "Classic" Link name).
-Potentially disconfirmed anyway with the Spirit Tracks stage on 3DS.

I am aware that he has his points for staying as well:
-A requested character for Brawl.
-Sakurai sees incorporating a younger Link as equal importance to incorporating an older Link. (Source: Young Link's page on the Melee Sumbra-Ken website)
-Wind Waker HD. (Almost forgot that point)

But at the same time, if push comes to shove, Toon Link is honestly the first to go out of Nintendo's characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's not like what Sakurai is saying is news either.

We all know that there MAY be cuts, but that's doesn't mean cuts should be taken as granted. After all, most veterans that were cut in Brawl (Mewtwo, Dr. Mario and Roy) were due to time constraints.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There were cuts from melee to brawl. It is realistic to expect cuts and those are the top 5 on the list. To think otherwise is living in denial
Putting it this way isn't exactly away of saying that. You seem to imply that they WILL be cut no matter what.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Doesn't Toon Link represent the (toon) side of Zelda franchise, the variety of Zelda games have designs like Toon Link. He's definitely not going to be removed.
By that logic we should have a Link representing every different art style Zelda has ever gone through.

I'd say he's one of the first on the chopping block, but his removal is hardly guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom