• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That depends on who you're adding. Specify?
Mario:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Paper Mario

Zelda:

Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Skull Kid (Majora's Mask) (Majora's Mask happens to be one of the most iconic parts of Zelda's history (and we all know why.) I think Sakurai will do something to tribute Majora's Mask.

Poke'mon:

Pikachu
Poke'mon Trainer Male (Blue/Red)
Jigglypuff
Poke'mon Trainer Female (Gold/Silver)
Mewthree

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mario:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Paper Mario

Zelda:

Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Skull Kid (Majora's Mask) (Majora's Mask happens to be one of the most iconic parts of Zelda's history (and we all know why.) I think Sakurai will do something to tribute Majora's Mask.

Poke'mon:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewthree

I guess it's fine to keep those Mario characters, but I actually suggest dropping Skull Kid and the female trainer. If you want another Pokemon rep, why not just keep Lucario? And just saying, it's not Mewthree. :p

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
What!? Okay

1. How is having 5 Mario characters over representing the Mario Franchise, but having 5 Zelda or Poke'mon reps isn't? Is having 3 characters within Poke'mon Trainer over represented then?
No, I mean having Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, and Wario are technically over representing Mario as it is. They may not have the same franchise icon but they all did originate from one franchise, that being Mario. That is why I used the term "technically" rather than just saying they were outright over represented as it is. Versus the existing five Zelda characters and existing seven Pokemon characters the Mario brothers franchise technically has eight. To be fair, I mentioned that Dr. Mario has a separate playstyle with moves to be different from the existing Mario technically being the Fifth Mario character you're mentioning making the Mario characters into my roster being 10 (Including K. Rool of course).

2. How do you over represent the Face of Nintendo. The company's mascot and one of the most famous video game characters of all time. That's why we had 5 Mario reps in Melee instead of 4. Mario deserves special treatment.
Of course, we were originally going to have 4 Mario characters, 2 Zelda charcaters, and 3 Pokemon characters. I'm not saying Mario won't get another character or that it doesn't deserve another character. I'm saying another one isn't exactly likely or necessary.

3. "As it is" Are you saying having more than 3 characters in Brawl from the face of the company was too many? Meaning there should have been less than the other games?
I've mentioned my counter argument already. No need to touch on this subject.

I'm sorry, but there is no logic in that whatsoever.
The way you might have took it, there is no logic in it. But I never meant it the way you took it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I guess it's fine to keep those Mario characters, but I actually suggest dropping Skull Kid and the female trainer. If you want another Pokemon rep, why not just keep Lucario? And just saying, it's not Mewthree. :p
uuuuugh. I really wish people didn't have Lucario in their roster. I know they were both in brawl. But, logically there are around 700 pokemon so it is important to make sure each pokemon rep is as different from each other as much as possible. And if Newtwo doesn't replace Lucario, somebody else will. The point of Poke'mon Trainer B is not only would we have a rep from a different gen, but going back to my statement on how there is around 700 pokemon, Trainer B will get us 3 more. I think you underestimate the incredibly high possibility of a second Pok'emon trainer. Sometimes the most likely characters aren't the ones on Everybody's roster. And Skull Kid I see no reason why not at all. And I call Newtwo Mewthree so people know what I'm talking about. I think the only reason people don't consider Trainer B is because it's not the popular character that every single roster has. She is almost certain to me.

Prepare to be disappointed.

I can wait, too. But can the other millions of Smash fans wait? Can Nintendo wait, when the Wii U is already struggling in terms of exclusive titles? Can Sakurai deal with it, when he says himself that working on Smash is stressful and hard? I really think you should all wake up just a bit.

40 characters. That's my final say.
Yeah, several Wii U titles have been delayed so they could be polished.

The truth is: There is no way in hell Sakurai would EVER release a Smash game with only 5 new characters. So whatever makes you even consider that is beyond my grasp. Are you being serious?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Paper Mario
I would drop Paper Mario. Paper Mario isn't a Mario character per say, he's more of a spinoff character in the same vain as DK, Yoshi, and Wario. Go for someone who's appeared in a mainstream title.

Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Assist Trophy or boss would better to represent Majora's Mask. If he wanted to add a character from the game, he would bring back Young Link. Go for a character who has some significance in the franchise. Such as Tetra, Impa, or even maybe Tingle.

Poke'mon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewthree
Adding a new Trainer removes what makes the Pokemon Trainer significant, especially if we could see the existing trainer downsized for the 3DS version, adding another one will most likely just add more problems. You don't need to fix what's not broken with Lucario so don't cut him. We never saw Hoenn get a playable character and we've already had a Johto rep. Sinnoh changed the way Pokemon will be played forever and Lucario is still being marketed. I highly doubt we'll see an Unova rep either, due to the game realistically being released well after we get Pokemon X and Y. Black (2) and White (2) will practically be a thing of the past, because from what I can tell we haven't seen anything introduced from that game returning yet (not counting the Pokemon, obviously).

Zema

Smash Journeyman
The truth is: There is no way in hell Sakurai would EVER release a Smash game with only 5 new characters. So whatever makes you even consider that is beyond my grasp. Are you being serious?
Do you really think 40 characters means that there are only 5 NEW characters?

Characters can get replaced. Characters have been replaced, and I dont know about anyone else- but I'm pretty sure characters will be replaced for Sm4sh. Logical and simple replacements like Mewtwo>Lucario, Chrom>Ike, WFT>ROB, some other Mother/Earthbound character>Lucas, Megaman>Snake. Like this, we've replaced 5 characters and still have 5 more slots if we assume the roster is 40 characters large.

Now before you quote my entire comment calling me an imbecile for suggesting any one (or all) of those replacements- is it really that unbelievable that it might happen? It's all speculation, sure, but my point stands.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
uuuuugh. I really wish people didn't have Lucario in their roster. I know they were both in brawl. But, logically there are around 700 pokemon so it is important to make sure each pokemon rep is as different from each other as much as possible. And if Newtwo doesn't replace Lucario, somebody else will. The point of Poke'mon Trainer B is not only would we have a rep from a different gen, but going back to my statement on how there is around 700 pokemon, Trainer B will get us 3 more. I think you underestimate the incredibly high possibility of a second Pok'emon trainer. Sometimes the most likely characters aren't the ones on Everybody's roster. And Skull Kid I see no reason why not at all. And I call Newtwo Mewthree so people know what I'm talking about. I think the only reason people don't consider Trainer B is because it's not the popular character that every single roster has. She is almost certain to me.

Whoa, easy there. It was just a suggestion. Based on Sakurai's recent statement of not liking character cuts, I doubt he'd remove Lucario just to "keep the Pokemon diversity up." Only if GameFreak says otherwise can I see Lucario getting removed, barring time constraints. But considering they love using him in advertising, I doubt they'd do that. Plus, he already does diversify the Pokemon roster. We don't have another Fighting type or a Steel Type.

A second Pokemon Trainer just seems redundant, in all honesty. Especially considering it's essentially three additional characters, why would Sakurai use that precious development time to make a character who's gimmick is already present in another? Just the way I see it.

As far as Skull Kid, as popular as Majora's Mask is, his time was Melee. The game's rather old, he has relatively low demand, and overall, he's not really important to his series. I think Zelda has all it needs with Brawl's roster, but if you really want an addition, Ghirahim, Tingle, and Impa (as a separate character, without cutting Sheik) are all much better choices, if we look at things objectively.

Just the way I see things.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Noah. Why exactly is Lucario bad? He's a popular pokemon. Not just a generation mascot. He's still being used in advertising moreso than Zoroark, even to this day. He's certainly more popular and used than Jigglypuff at least.

And if you are going to have another trainer, why not use pokemon from different gens?

Like one Gen 2, one Gen 3, and one Gen 5 for example. That would differentiate the pokemon like you wanted.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would drop Paper Mario. Paper Mario isn't a Mario character per say, he's more of a spinoff character in the same vain as DK, Yoshi, and Wario. Go for someone who's appeared in a mainstream title.

Assist Trophy or boss would better to represent Majora's Mask. If he wanted to add a character from the game, he would bring back Young Link. Go for a character who has some significance in the franchise. Such as Tetra, Impa, or even maybe Tingle.

Adding a new Trainer removes what makes the Pokemon Trainer significant, especially if we could see the existing trainer downsized for the 3DS version, adding another one will most likely just add more problems. You don't need to fix what's not broken with Lucario so don't cut him. We never saw Hoenn get a playable character and we've already had a Johto rep. Sinnoh changed the way Pokemon will be played forever and Lucario is still being marketed. I highly doubt we'll see an Unova rep either, due to the game realistically being released well after we get Pokemon X and Y. Black (2) and White (2) will practically be a thing of the past, because from what I can tell we haven't seen anything introduced from that game returning yet (not counting the Pokemon, obviously).
I consider Majora's Mask to still be popular today and I honestly doubt they'd pick any of those over Skull Kid. I don't know why people think a character has to be incredibly recent to be in SSB. I mean Nintendo has History that goes back further than what people have on their roster. Now whether the character was popular at that time is another story. I think it only makes sense that if there is another Zelda rep it will be from Majora's Mask.

Whoa, easy there. It was just a suggestion. Based on Sakurai's recent statement of not liking character cuts, I doubt he'd remove Lucario just to "keep the Pokemon diversity up." Only if GameFreak says otherwise can I see Lucario getting removed, barring time constraints. But considering they love using him in advertising, I doubt they'd do that. Plus, he already does diversify the Pokemon roster. We don't have another Fighting type or a Steel Type.

A second Pokemon Trainer just seems redundant, in all honesty. Especially considering it's essentially three additional characters, why would Sakurai use that precious development time to make a character who's gimmick is already present in another? Just the way I see it.

As far as Skull Kid, as popular as Majora's Mask is, his time was Melee. The game's rather old, he has relatively low demand, and overall, he's not really important to his series. I think Zelda has all it needs with Brawl's roster, but if you really want an addition, Ghirahim, Tingle, and Impa (as a separate character, without cutting Sheik) are all much better choices, if we look at things objectively.

Just the way I see things.
Yeah, I think Zelda has all the reps it needs. But, I still think a Majora's Mask rep would be more sensible. Just the way I see it. But, I'm gonna keep my roster the way it is currently.

One last thing though

I was think of removing Sonic & Snake, but then I realized after the recent statement of Sakurai not wanting to remove any characters he thinks people may have a big connection to in the game, I was thinking of keeping Sonic and removing Snake. Any suggestions?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd say keep Sonic and Snake for now, but don't be shocked if they actually appear. Their position is really up in the air right now, legalities and all.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Characters can get replaced. Characters have been replaced, and I dont know about anyone else- but I'm pretty sure characters will be replaced for Sm4sh. Logical and simple replacements like Mewtwo>Lucario, Chrom>Ike, WFT>ROB, some other Mother/Earthbound character>Lucas, Megaman>Snake. Like this, we've replaced 5 characters and still have 5 more slots if we assume the roster is 40 characters large.

Now before you quote my entire comment calling me an imbecile for suggesting any one (or all) of those replacements- is it really that unbelievable that it might happen? It's all speculation, sure, but my point stands.
Yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah no. Sakurai already stated he is very skeptical of removing characters and definitely doesn't want to remove anybody he feels somebody would have an attachment to.

Lucas? He is the most recent Mother rep from one of my favorite games of all time. Not to mention He was originally going to replace Ness in brawl. So Ness wasn't going to be in it. Why would they do the opposite in the next one. And what other Mother rep would you have? Wouldn't it be weird to have a Mother rep that isn't the main protagonist let alone as a a replacement for Lucas? And why would we remove Lucas anyway? I still don't get that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait.

Does Noah have me on ignore?

OH!! XD I LOVE IT!!!

D

Deleted member

Zenma said:
Sakurai: "It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed."

Sakurai has and almost certainly WILL cut characters in Smash. Better learn to deal with this fast. Though you are right at saying that I have no proof that a 40-character roster is realistic. I still hold that it's a more realistic prediction than the 40+ character rosters you see made in these threads.

As for your second statement, I have to partially disagree. Famous characters are what sell the game, and let's be realistic- most of the famous characters were veterans from the 64 version of Smash.
That quote was made after the roster was decided.

What Sakurai is saying is not that 50 characters aren't feasible but that they can't be all what is added to a sequel in order to make it worth it. He's also referring to the upcoming game's roster, not Brawl.

Also, while there will probably be cuts, they will be minimal if Sakurai's negative attitude towards cuts are any indication. I don't see anyone outside of Toon Link, Snake and Sonic getting the axe this game.
Zenma said:
Sakurai cannot actually afford to have a massive roster though. Having many characters is a lot of work- it ceases being a matter of space and it starts becoming a matter of time. Remember they are making TWO GAMES AT THE SAME TIME. Sure, they might be different teams, but they have to coordinate with each other, and work out the differences between the games, and make stages, and music, and so on and so forth. Point is: the release date has been set for 2014, and as someone who has studied 3D animation in university I can assure you that game design is hard and time consuming. Very, very time consuming.
Remember that Namco is working on the game and they did a good job of balancing a fifty-nine character roster with Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Not saying we'll be getting fifty or more characters for sure (transformation included of course), but with them on board along with Sakurai trying to include as many characters as possible, it isn't outside of the realm of possibility.
Zenma said:
Ok, I'm pretty tired of people taking that quote out of context.

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.
"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

Now, It's not made clear whether Sakurai is literally talking about the character sizes or the characters themselves, but either way the roster is affected.
It's possible that Sakurai is referring to making characters already in the game less complicated in order to save time if "reduce some characters to a certain degree" is any indication. One example would be to split the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon into three separate slots or to split Samus and Zero Suit Samus. It's also possible these are only done on the 3DS given that Sakurai mentioned the roster on the 3DS and Wii U are "nearly" identical.

I don't see how the 3DS and Wii-U would affect the roster in a way that prevents us from getting more than forty-five characters (transformation included). Universal roster was always going to happen and with 8 GB, that's enough room to make a sizable increase. Either way though, Sakurai never said anything in here that hints at a limited roster.
Zenma said:

The only character that has been replaced to this date is Young Link for Toon Link and it makes sense. Roy and Mewtwo were never replaced but cut due to time constraints. Sakurai planned for Roy, Ike, Lucario and Mewtwo to co-exist.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Have you read the Polygon article released yesterday?
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Here's the most interesting and relevant quote from this:

"The amount of stress I feel, it's almost to the brink of death," Sakurai said of designing Smash Bros.'s character roster. "Because it's not just a matter of me personally thinking this character or that character is going to be in the game; it's that we also have the game balance, animation, graphics and sound to think about in order to make that character fully fleshed out in that universe. I have to think about all of that when I go through this decision-making process.
"Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played," Sakurai said, "if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.
"I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we're making these decisions."
Now, this quote is not saying that cuts will not happen. However, it does show that he is very, very reluctant to cut a character. He does consider that even if someone does not like a character, to someone else, this is an essential edition. Look at what happened with ROB, The Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch: Sure, a few heads were turned and questions asked when they were first unveiled, but now people are loving fans of those characters who want them to return.
Any character will be carefully considered, and a cut is certainly not something Sakurai will take lightly.

Personally, I can't see any more than 3, maybe 4 characters being cut.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Fine thank you.

How are you this fine day?
Doing great. I'm really enjoying Star Ocean 2.

I want to try something hypothetical that I thought of the other day when someone said "If we had five cuts who should they be" so let's go further. If we had 10 cuts, who should they be? Yeah, you're going to begin shooting yourself in the leg once you get past five. If you guys think the discussion of ten is too chaotic, let's try five. I just wanna see where this goes.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Doing great. I'm really enjoying Star Ocean 2.

I want to try something hypothetical that I thought of the other day when someone said "If we had five cuts who should they be" so let's go further. If we had 10 cuts, who should they be? Yeah, you're going to begin shooting yourself in the leg once you get past five. If you guys think the discussion of ten is too chaotic, let's try five. I just wanna see where this goes.
I already shot both my legs with five.

Either way, its a cool idea, though I would give it some more time. The five cut thread is still fresh in peoples memories.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
im new here but here's my prediction roster

Do you want feedback on it? If so, click the spoiler tag below.

Thoughts & Criticisms

-I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that we will ever see secondary characters from third party franchises like Knuckles.
-I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that we will see Yarn Kirby or Yarn Yoshi in a unique character slot.
-I think that it's fairly unlikely that we will see Paper Mario. With the squeeze on how many characters are being added to the game, I think they will focus on adding characters that are not already represented in another form.
-I also don't think we're going to get two DK representatives, unfortunately.
-Sora's focus is really on Sony, and now that Kingdom Hearts III is being released on Xbox One and the PS4, that fact is even more clear now... I don't think Sora is even in the consideration, honestly.
-Aww, I hope there's a fourth Zelda character...

Regardless though, welcome to the boards!

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
im new here but here's my prediction roster
Welcome, new guy!

alright... roster thoughts. Without trying to put my personal preference too much into it.

1.NICE! Paper mario. I like it when people include him. Personally, I think paper mario has more of a reason to be here than toon link. He at least wouldn't be a clone.
2. Yarn Kirby.. meh. I suppose you could argue that its similar to paper mario but paper mario at least has a hand full of games under his belt and a larger moveset pool to pull from. Plus Kirby's shape and style doesn't really change that much. Just his texture.
3. Roy is probably not going to return if Ike is cut. Most people seem to agree on that point.
4. Kingdom Heart's relation isn't too strong with nintendo. The franchise dwells with other consoles enough that I'd say Sakurai isn't going out of his way to add him.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
SUPER SMASH BROS 4 IS NOT GOING TO ONLY HAVE 40 CHARACTERS. I'M CALLING IT RIGHT NOW.

NO ONE. THAT MEANS ME, YOU, OR ANYONE ELSE BESIDES SAKURAI KNOWS RIGHT NOW HOW MANY CHARACTERS ARE GOING TO BE IN. I'M BEGINNING TO GET PISSED WHEN I SEE PEOPLE SAYING "THIS IS DEFINITELY GOING TO HAPPEN, SO SHUT UP"

Alright, so now that that is out of my system.

How many characters would Brawl have to cut in order to make SSB4 interesting and have 40 characters at the most? Hmmm...let's see.

Top characters for SSB4:

Ridley
K.Rool
Palutena
Mewtwo
Pac-Man
Chrom/Roy
Mario Rep
Possible Zelda Rep
etc...

Okay. So by my calculations, Sakurai, if he wanted to satisfy at least half of these, and include them with the 3 already revealed, keeping the roster at 40, that would mean he would have to cut EIGHT CHARACTERS. WHAT?

That is NOT going to happen. There are not enough characters that need to be cut. Not even close. The only characters that have any "remote" chance are Snake, Sonic, Lucario, Lucas, Ike, and Wolf. These characters, while considered as top characters to be cut by fans, have no real reason to be cut other than reasons that we speculators have created.

Lucario is similar to Mewtwo? No, not really. Not to mention they were meant to coexist.

Snake and Sonic? Snake was favor, and his removal would be a slap in the face to Kojima. Sega has a great relationship with Nintendo with this new contract, so Sonic is actually likely.

Ike? There were three Fire Emblem characters planned for Brawl. Ike is popular, and has no reason to get cut whatsoever, other than people who make up the excuse of "Chrom would be a clone!". Pics or it didn't happen.

Wolf? He is so different from the other two characters he is comparable to, that this should hardly affect him. At all. He is unique enough, and recognizable enough to have a hold on his spot.

Lucas? Could easily be reworked to have a new moveset or to play differently from Ness. I hardly even have issues with them. They are fine to me.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone. I really am. But this nonsense needs to stop. I'm not saying there won't be cuts. But people need to stop saying it is a 100% thing. There was ONE (ONE!) planned cut. That was Pichu. The rest of the characters were planned, some more than others. NOw that Sakurai has a whole studio behind him, and has been quoted saying that they are trying to get every character into the games, there should be no reason for anyone to assume at this point that there will be cuts. It's ridiculous.

Yes. I am completely against cuts. Yes, you can call it a bias. But until I see some CONCRETE PROOF that there will be cuts, I will ignore the statement that cuts are guaranteed, because it seems like people have no idea what is going on.

/rant

Wait. Nevermind. I'm gonna keep going.

Wii Fit Trainer replacing R.O.B? Because R.O.B replaced Game and Watch right?

As I mentioned, Lucario and MEwtwo were meant to be in the same game at the same time, but didn't make it. Mewtwo wasn't meant to be replaced in the first place, so that idea is kind of null and void.

We have no idea how 3rd party characters work. For all we know, Snake and Sonic could very well return. There is NOTHING pointing to them being removed.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There's a difference between realistic and safe.

And this is Realistic. Anything more is just unrealistic. We can remove semiclonish characters
ike
Toon Link
Wolf
Lucas

Remove Lucario because he is flavor of the generation and remove PT, we end up with 8 free spaces.

Add 1 more and we have 9 free character spaces. The rest of the 31 are most of the regulars that return or were Ideas sakurai seemed to really like.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
And this is Realistic. Anything more is just unrealistic. We can remove semiclonish characters
ike
Toon Link
Wolf
Lucas

Remove Lucario because he is flavor of the generation and remove PT, we end up with 8 free spaces.

Add 1 more and we have 9 free character spaces. The rest of the 31 are most of the regulars that return or were Ideas sakurai seemed to really like.
Ike is not a clone.

Sakurai has mentioned that he wants Two versions of Link in the game, so I doubt he will be gone.

Wolf is different from the other two based on his playstyle.

Lucas could easily be changed.

There is really no solid reason to remove Lucario, and especially Pokemon Trainer.

Oh, and Fire Emblem will almost definitely not be Marth and Lucina.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ike is not a clone.

Sakurai has mentioned that he wants Two versions of Link in the game, so I doubt he will be gone.

Wolf is different from the other two based on his playstyle.

Lucas could easily be changed.

There is really no solid reason to remove Lucario, and especially Pokemon Trainer.

Oh, and Fire Emblem will almost definitely not be Marth and Lucina.

1. Ike is based purely on Marth.
2. Still does not change the fact that 40 is a very realistic number.
3. Lucario is old hat. Mewtwo will probably replace him.
4. Wolf is a clone.
5. Link to say there will be two links. I want to see proof on that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
4. Wolf is a clone.
You have GOT to be kidding me.

Ike is based on Marth? What the flying F*** are you talking about?

Lucario and Mewtwo were BOTH PLANNED to be in the game TOGETHER. Why would Mewtwo replace the guy he was meant to be in the game with? You wanna talk "old hat"? Mewtwo is even older than Lucario is!

Wolf is a semi clone at best. Guess who else is a clone by your standards, and should therefore be cut? Luigi, Ganondorf, and Falco.

Sakurai has been quoted saying that he believes that two versions of Link would represent the entire spectrum of games in the series, with both Adult Link, and Toon Link. I'm still trying to find the quote, but it has been shown on this site.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
4. Wolf is a clone.

-Oof, I think you must be getting Ike confused with Roy or something. Marth and Ike literally do not share a single move that I can think of.
-I'd be totally okay with Mewtwo getting revamped and replacing Lucario.
-Wolf... is sort of a clone. Anyone who plays the two characters can tell you that they are play entirely differently, though his moves are obviously based on Fox's. In any case, Wolf players hate it when people say he's a clone. In any case, I really don't think he should be dropped. Besides, he makes more sense as a clone than any other two characters in the cast in my opinion, including Link & Toon Link.
-I've heard that Sakurai thinks it's important that there be representation for the Toon side of Link, but I've had trouble finding the interview... I'd like to see it.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
-Oof, I think you must be getting Ike confused with Roy or something. Marth and Ike literally do not share a single move that I can think of.
-I'd be totally okay with Mewtwo getting revamped and replacing Lucario.
-Wolf... is sort of a clone. Anyone who plays the two characters can tell you that they are play entirely differently, though his moves are obviously based on Fox's. In any case, Wolf players hate it when people say he's a clone. In any case, I really don't think he should be dropped. Besides, he makes more sense as a clone than any other two characters in the cast in my opinion, including Link & Toon Link.
-I've heard that Sakurai thinks it's important that there be representation for the Toon side of Link, but I've had trouble finding the interview... I'd like to see it.

Ike and Marth Share counter for starters.

Also, I still want to see the interview. And Toon Link was seen in one of the stages. He was on the train.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Also, I still want to see the interview. And Toon Link was seen in one of the stages. He was on the train.
And you know what? That's the only move that Ike and Marth share. That's the same as Falcon and Samus. They both share the same up tilt. They are not clones of each other and you have to be blind to think that.

Technically, that was ST Link. The Toon Link in Brawl was the WW and PH Link as stated by his trophy.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Ike and Marth share counter. Must be semi clones! Might as well throw out Luigi for having the same fireball as Mario.

40 would be a realistic number if the game before it didn't have 39 characters in it already. >_>

Wolf is a clone? How so? Because they have similar specials. So does Falco, but I don't see you cutting Falco either.

Multiple Link thingy (dunno if it was an article or a quote from somewhere) was between Melee and Brawl iirc, if that helps you guys find it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I seriously am beginning to think that you are a troll. This logic is the worst I have EVER seen.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I said Ike was semi-clone-ish. He is clearly based on Marth. All his moves are derivatives of Marths.
Wolf is a clone.

Just because his landmaster tank has worse flying does not change the fact that he is a clone.

And Sakurai said himself that he believes that we have reached the character apex. So 40 to 45 is the best bet. Remove 8 and that is roughly 9 to 15 new character movesets. I find it shocking that people find this so hard to believe.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
We know how apprehensive Sakurai is about cutting characters. I'm guessing you didn't read the article where he talks about character selection, so I think you should. So have a link: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection.

Also the only similarities between wolf and the other spacies are the specials. like use the a button and the control stick, or use some grabs. they're way different than you give them credit for.

Also which one of Marth's moves does Quick Draw come from? How about Aether?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just going to stop replying because I'm being driven up the wall.

These reasons are just so FRACKING bad that I can't believe what I'm reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom