• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't EVER want to see any Anime garbage on ANY Smash Bros. roster EVER. Especially Dragonball Z.

...sorry, just had to get that off of my chest.
I greatly enjoy anime and I'd riot in protest if an anime character was ever placed into Smash Bros.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But that's how you make the roster unpredictable, and also bring hype at the same time.
I wouldn't be hyped at all to see Goku on the roster. More upset and angry. I have several friends who like DBZ, but have no idea why. Half of the episodes were two of them screaming at each other as the world was about to explode in five minutes, 13 episodes later.

Plus he isn't a video game character and would go against the purpose of the game.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
But that's how you make the roster unpredictable, and also bring hype at the same time.

That's...
Hmm.
Hype for a select few, but as I'm sure you know by now from every time you've brought up Goku, a lot of hate too.

I think that legitimately is when people would start saying that Smash bros. has jumped the shark. While the definition of "Nintendo All-Star" has gotten stretched and redefined a bit, I think we can safely say that it'll never include characters created for anime, cartoons, or live action films/TV shows.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I wouldn't be hyped at all to see Goku on the roster. More upset and angry. I have several friends who like DBZ, but have no idea why. Half of the episodes were two of them screaming at each other as the world was about to explode in five minutes, 13 episodes later.

Plus he isn't a video game character and would go against the purpose of the game.
Again if Sakurai let's off the criteria. (Again just for this guy only)
There's tons of potential Sakurai can make with this guy, we never had a guy who has a kung-fu suit, with out the blue superpowers that can make him fun to play as.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well there's always Kanye West. He Tweeted something about Smash Bros. or something.

New Sandbag substitute? :troll:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If we put in Goku we might as well put in Luffy and Kira and every other popular anime character who has had some terrible tie-in game on a Nintendo system.

A line in the sand needs to be drawn somewhere. If a character did not originate in video games, they have no business being in Smash Bros. SSB4 will already be pushing the boundaries of third parties if it has only 3 third-party characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Again if Sakurai let's off the criteria. (Again just for this guy only)
There's tons of potential Sakurai can make with this guy, we never had a guy who has a kung-fu suit, with out the blue superpowers that can make him fun to play as.
When I said "purpose of the game" I wasn"t referring to the criteria. I was talking about the purpose of the game. The whole idea is video game characters duking it out. Not some asshole from some crappy anime (not all anime is bad, but I have a hatred for Dragonball Z).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ultimate Hype Roster:
>roster created with goal of maximum hype
>two characters with practically no popularity and little chance included
>hype killer (for most people) - an anime character included
>absence of half of the top 10 currently most popular characters
goal failed.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If Goku is worthy, so is Superman. If Superman is worthy, so is Batman. See how slippery this slope is?
Not unless Sakurai states an official statement "Goku can cross the line, but not any other again." that would actually catch your attention.
Also there have been Dragonball games for Nintendo since the NES days.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Might as well include Kanye, and then Jay-Z, and then Barack Obama, and then Bill Clinton, and then Sexy Sax Man, and then Rick Astley, and then Steve Buschemi.

Alright well maybe that would be ridiculous. But then again, maybe that should be it's own game?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Not unless Sakurai states an official statement "Goku can cross the line, but not any other again." that would actually catch your attention.
Superman has had games on Nintendo systems too. Why is Goku worthy, but not Superman?

Fact of the matter is that allowing in just any character creates a really slippery slope and therefore shouldn't ever happen. Smash is a celebration of the all-time greatest characters of video gaming.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If goku is in this game in any way, I'll cut off my big toe.

Being an anime character with a video game spinoff doesn't make you a video game character. Smash is a game for nintendo video game characters. There are a few exceptions for the nintendo rule but you're never getting in if you are neither.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Um, sure. So... do people feel like we'll be getting any other unexpected characters? Tradition has it that the unexpected character is discovered at the very end as a surprise, so perhaps Sakurai has another one ready for a last-minute reveal.

(I don't think there will be another WTF character, personally)

((I'd also like to say, if someone creates a game very similar to Smash that pits Goku against Naruto, Bleach Dude, One Piece characters, and other popular anime characters I would in all likelihood buy it. And I don't even like any of those animes I listed.))

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Um, sure. So... do people feel like we'll be getting any other unexpected characters? Tradition has it that the unexpected character is discovered at the very end as a surprise, so perhaps Sakurai has another one ready for a last-minute reveal.

I honestly can't say. I wouldn't be 100% amazed as I was with WFT being in the game, but it is still a possibility.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

I can only think of AR Man as of right now, but it would be really (100x) unexpected if Geno came by to join the roster. And probably Prince Sable too.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

I think that we'll get at least one more unexpected character, but it will be an unexpected character more like Pokemon Trainer, not another WTF pick.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well nobody really cared to post about my roster other than Noah, so I guess I hope you don't mind if I post it again.
I also just realized that collapsing pictures lead people to ignore them, so I think I'll avoid doing it this time around.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

So now you've resorted to creating hypothetical statements by Sakurai, which would only be used in another (extremely unlikely) hypothetical situation, as a defence and to justify the character you want. REALLY? The only way you can justify Goku and only Goku is by MAKING THINGS UP?

/10facepalmsand2facedesks

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You guys know he's trolling right?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
BluePikmin11 draws near!

BluePikmin11 unleashes a "Ultimate Hype Roster"! You cannot grasp the true form of the attack!

It did not work.

N3ON uses "PK Logic"!

BluePikmin11 suffered damage of reasoning. BluePikmin11 grew quiet.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
But the "realistic" roster does not have 5 Pokemon and Zelda Reps.

See?
I like this roster a lot, not my choices but I'd be happy with it and it is realistic you followed the 9 x 5 -2 for sheik and zero suit samus = 43 spots.

I'm seriously thinking that random is one of those missing edge squares and Mii is the other missing square. My guess is Mii will NOT be a newcomer but a feature where either you pic a move set for your Mii or your Mii's head is on an existing characters body or something like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Roster refined a little, is it now the ULTIMATE HYPE ROSTER?
Oh yeah it's missing half of the top 10 characters because there's absolutely better options than them.
Trolling or not, my bias notwithstanding, Sable, AR Man, and Wonder Red are NOT better choices than Isaac.

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet

How WTF are we talking here, exactly? Like, would Paper Mario be "WTF?" Would Random Fire Emblem Character X or Rando 1st Gen Pokemon X be WTF?
Andy, Raichu (as a form), Meowth, and Wigglytuff (as a form) is unlikely, that's all I have to say though.
Oh, I agree 100% that any of those 4 would be very, very unlikely. I also think Isaac is fairly unlikely, fwiw.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Trolling or not, my bias notwithstanding, Sable, AR Man, and Wonder Red are NOT better choices than Isaac.
Agreed I think former assist trophies are some of the most likely newcomers, though as far as a hype list I'm glad to see geno haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom