• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Also Sakurai just made the new Kid Icarus and no matter what he says he IS biased and that's why we get the rosters we get and not the rosters that distribute representation in a way most would agree on, so Palutena is likely.

Keep in mind that most people here do agree on Palutena. (And like her, far as I know. I don't think I've ever seen a roster here without her on it. I certainly wouldn't make one.

However, also keep in mind that Sakurai selects characters carefully, and also likes to look at those which are most popular in addition to most interesting. Guess who's incredibly popular and even got brought up to him post-Brawl which he commented on? Ridley.

That's about all that matters in Ridley's case.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The main reason I saw 3rd Gen being left out of representation in Brawl was mainly because none of the really popular 3rd Gen pokemon were formidable fighters that would've been anything new in Smash Bros. There was the rumor of Plusle and Minun, but that just sounds like Pichu cross-bred with the Ice Climbers, it didn't fit. But now, we have pokemon like Zoroark and Genesect for 5th Gen and Mewtwo for the new Gen.

Also, I still count the Pokemon Trainer as one character, especially considering that even though it's three in one, the three characters work off of each other to create one balanced fighter. Also, while I have no problem with Roy getting in the game, I'm just saying that Awakening was a huge success, and there's no way they're just going to overlook the game, especially since we already know there's a stage from said game in the handheld version.

I know that you see them as one character, but in all actuality, Sakurai doesn't. Frankly, it's only his opinion that matters.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Keep in mind that most people here do agree on Palutena. (And like her, far as I know. I don't think I've ever seen a roster here without her on it. I certainly wouldn't make one.

However, also keep in mind that Sakurai selects characters carefully, and also likes to look at those which are most popular in addition to most interesting. Guess who's incredibly popular and even got brought up to him post-Brawl which he commented on? Ridley.

That's about all that matters in Ridley's case.
not saying that paluntena isn't wanted, I choose her over many other newcomers as more likely, I simplly ment it's all Sakurai's choice and that IS and always has been WAY more important then if we put Ridley and Palutena to a vote. Not that Palutena wouldn't get support just that the voting doesn't even matter Sakurai's choice does and Sakurai would choose Palutena way before Ridley.

I also left room for Ridley if more cuts are made just said he was less likely given a variety of things said about him by Sakurai which other likely candidates for spots do not have counting against them.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sakurai does love his own characters, but the man is also careful to ensure that he doesn't give his franchises special treatment. We didn't get a new Kirby rep in Melee.

I really do hope that he doesn't allow his humbleness to keep Palutena out, because she's not only a popular request but a really neat potential newcomer in general.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
because she's not only a popular request
I'm going to have to start taking a gun and shoot my leg every time I say this but:

The popular choices now will affect the future. What probably does affect now is the past, with 2006 stuff, especially since Nintendo no longer has an official forum or site. Zing.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
not saying that paluntena isn't wanted, I choose her over many other newcomers as more likely, I simplly ment it's all Sakurai's choice and that IS and always has been WAY more important then if we put Ridley and Palutena to a vote. Not that Palutena wouldn't get support just that the voting doesn't even matter Sakurai's choice does and Sakurai would choose Palutena way before Ridley.

I also left room for Ridley if more cuts are made just said he was less likely given a variety of things said about him by Sakurai which other likely candidates for spots do not have counting against them.
I'm not sure about that, let's remember that Sakurai is incredibly modest in choosing his characters, especially when from his own series'. He didn't even add a second Kirby character until Brawl, even though he wanted to since 64, and even at one point, Dedede was playable in Smash 64 like Bowser and Mewtwo were. I wouldn't rush to the conclusion that Kid Icarus gets more priority than Metroid in the sense of picking Palutena over Ridley, especially when it comes to overall popularity, recurring appearances, importance to the series, and the overall importance of the franchise itself, Ridley and Metroid easily win over Palutena and Kid Icarus. All I'm saying is that not only should you not leave out Ridley, but don't be instantly expecting a new Kid Icarus rep because Sakurai worked on the game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm going to have to start taking a gun and shoot my leg every time I say this but:

The popular choices now will affect the future. What probably does affect now is the past, with 2006 stuff, especially since Nintendo no longer has an official forum or site. Zing.
KI:U has been out for a while, Smash isn't that far into development, and Palutena has been requested for some time. She absolutely is on the radar for SSB4 whether or not she gets in.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Smash 4 started development after KI:U's release. I know you know that, but Palutena was a popular request iirc even just after that. I really think 2006 is too far back. Maybe it would've been the cut-off for influence in Brawl, but Smash 4? No way.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
KI:U has been out for a while, Smash isn't that far into development, and Palutena has been requested for some time. She absolutely is on the radar for SSB4 whether or not she gets in.
I think the characters that are on the radar are all easily known by everybody. People like Bowser Jr., Ridley, King K.Rool, Krystal, Mewtwo, Zoroark, Ghirahim, they're all on there. But that being said, I like it when Sakurai surprises us with characters we never thought of and makes them work in Smash, so I wouldn't mind some more big surprises.

Edit: I also believe that the game has been in development for over a year at this point.

Well, here's my latest character roster, coming to a cap of 45 total characters, including a slot for your customizable Mii, a Random select, and a DLC list slot for your downloaded DLC characters.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm not sure about that, let's remember that Sakurai is incredibly modest in choosing his characters, especially when from his own series'. He didn't even add a second Kirby character until Brawl, even though he wanted to since 64, and even at one point, Dedede was playable in Smash 64 like Bowser and Mewtwo were. I wouldn't rush to the conclusion that Kid Icarus gets more priority than Metroid in the sense of picking Palutena over Ridley, especially when it comes to overall popularity, recurring appearances, importance to the series, and the overall importance of the franchise itself, Ridley and Metroid easily win over Palutena and Kid Icarus. All I'm saying is that not only should you not leave out Ridley, but don't be instantly expecting a new Kid Icarus rep because Sakurai worked on the game.
Agreed on Sakurai's humbleness I was just pointing out Sakurai's opinion over popularity is how the past rosters have gone.

Sakurai isn't just putting one of his characters in here on a non-humble favoritism basis, like everyones said palutena is likely on a popularity level as well, i simplly stressed possible sakurai biased because that would get her the spot that could otherwise be ridley. palutena doesnt have the size issue and she is requested as a character by fans, also in sakurais mind Samus and zero suit are 2 reps so kid icarus and metroid would only even out at 2 and like people have said popularity of a series doesnt equal number of reps. Not instantly expecting just she is highly likely and on a minimum cuts low count few spots roster she is one of the first to make it for many reasons i simplly was stressing sakurais bias more so his bias against ridley then his bias for palutena

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
It's not only that it would have been the cut off for Smash 4 (Though, as proven by the mention of Ridley, I FOR SURE think some things post 2006/post brawl release were looked at) but it's that, as I've said probably a thousand times, Nintendo doesn't have an official place to check up on this anymore.

If Palutena's added, it'll be because of importance.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Well, here's my latest character roster, coming to a cap of 45 total characters, including a slot for your customizable Mii, a Random select, and a DLC list slot for your downloaded DLC characters.
I don't see Zoroark happening, but it's a pretty possible roster aside from that.

It's not only that it would have been the cut off for Smash 4 (Though, as proven by the mention of Ridley, I FOR SURE think some things post 2006/post brawl release were looked at) but it's that, as I've said probably a thousand times, Nintendo doesn't have an official place to check up on this anymore.
Nintendo doesn't, but Sakurai does via his ridiculous amount of fan mail, which he spoke of in the WFT reveal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's naive to think that just because Sakurai is looking at Brawl-era popularity doesn't mean he won't consider recent popularity as well, even if he doesn't have an official poll. He's made numerous references to "worldwide popularity" and "western popularity", which he never even had a poll to base this one, so it's clear he uses more than his own poll to gauge popular characters.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
It's naive to think that just because Sakurai is looking at Brawl-era popularity doesn't mean he won't consider recent popularity as well, even if he doesn't have an official poll. He's made numerous references to "worldwide popularity" and "western popularity", which he never even had a poll to base this one, so it's clear he uses more than his own poll to gauge popular characters.
Well, of course, but at the same time it's really not that much of popularity as people think. The fact of the matter is a lot of characters for Brawl (and most of Melee arguably asides from Clones) were out of importance and other factors more.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

If Palutena's added, it'll be because of importance.

I dunno about you, but I find it personally hard to believe Sakurai hasn't explored the internet looking for requests, or at least found a way to know about them. In this day and age that just seems illogical.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Agreed on Sakurai's humbleness I was just pointing out Sakurai's opinion over popularity is how the past rosters have gone.

Sakurai isn't just putting one of his characters in here on a non-humble favoritism basis, like everyones said palutena is likely on a popularity level as well, i simplly stressed possible sakurai biased because that would get her the spot that could otherwise be ridley. palutena doesnt have the size issue and she is requested as a character by fans, also in sakurais mind Samus and zero suit are 2 reps so kid icarus and metroid would only even out at 2 and like people have said popularity of a series doesnt equal number of reps. Not instantly expecting just she is highly likely and on a minimum cuts low count few spots roster she is one of the first to make it for many reasons i simplly was stressing sakurais bias more so his bias against ridley then his bias for palutena
I'm just going to say this...size is never an issue in Smash Bros, it never has been and it never should be. We have Bowser, who is a gargantuan beast in the actual Mario series (The spin-off/RPG titles are not canon to the actual series, so that cannot be used against Ridley's inclusion) and is sized to be a proper fighter. Olimar is the size of a quarter in his game, and he's had his size increased about 40x his actual size to be a fighter, the same with the Pikmin, also, Sonic, who is 3'3", is taller than Mario in Brawl, whose actual size is 5'1". Not to mention people have sized down Ridley before, especially considering the Melee opening, hell, even Ninja theory sized down Ridley a good bit for the Metroid Other M stage in the Dead or Alive title for the 3DS. I don't think size should be considered an issue. Also, is there even any proof that Sakurai counts Zero Suit Samus as another Metroid rep, or is that purely speculation?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Most of this I can agree with, but there are definitely going to be cuts, Sakurai already stated this. Toon Link and Lucario are the only characters as of now that are definite goners. Lucario has no reason to stay, especially considering aside from his one movie appearance, he's a pokemon that plays no importance to the franchise, unlike a pokemon such as Mewtwo. Not to mention we're far past the fourth gen and it doesn't deserve special treatment. And I highly doubt Dillon is getting in, he's a character that hasn't made nearly as much an impact as other potential characters, and with the roster going to be smaller than what we imagined overall, there are many miscellaneous characters that take priority over Dillon, such as Takamaru, Little Mac, Shulk and etc. Also going to add in that Waluigi is a Mario character and has absolutely no connection to the Wario franchise, so that's not going to happen. I'd also put Paper Mario ahead of Bowser Jr.

Sakurai never said officially there will be cuts. He stated they were having trouble with a character on 3DS version and that he may have to decrease the character, whatever that means, but that he is working hard to get everyone in it.

I dunno about you, but I find it personally hard to believe Sakurai hasn't explored the internet looking for requests, or at least found a way to know about them. In this day and age that just seems illogical.
You guys act like Sakurai is alone in a bubble. He probably has people at Nintendo's Americas team or his team in Japan talking about it and showing him as well as media discussing characters. There is a whole team that works on this so even if Sakurai doesn't look at a poll or search around, other people in his team may.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You guys act like Sakurai is alone in a bubble. He probably has people at Nintendo's Americas team or his team in Japan talking about it and showing him as well as media discussing characters. There is a whole team that works on this so even if Sakurai doesn't look at a poll or search around, other people in his team may.

Generalizing? It's not like I didn't imply that in my meaning. Of course he has a team that goes around searching for things. No man can do that on his own. The thing is, Sakurai is the face. Sure, I could say, "Sakurai and his team" but if we're intelligent enough that we understand one another, I don't think it's really necessary.

Is there really any person here who thinks he does everything himself? :confused:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Generalizing? It's not like I didn't imply that in my meaning. Of course he has a team that goes around searching for things. No man can do that on his own. The thing is, Sakurai is the face. Sure, I could say, "Sakurai and his team" but if we're intelligent enough that we understand one another, I don't think it's really necessary.

Is there really any person here who thinks he does everything himself? :confused:
There can't be anyone who thinks he does it all himself, but if anything, it's his word that's final on a character's future. And I'm sure that aside from his team searching through media sources for requested characters, I'm sure Sakurai knows how fan-reception goes in the Smash Bros community, ergo Getting rid of tripping/trying to balance the speed of the game between Melee and Brawl. I'm sure he knows that people were really upset that Mewtwo was left out, I'm sure he knows that people were upset of how even after using a sword in the most recent Zelda titles that Ganondorf was a clone of Captain Falcon, and I'm also sure that he knows of how much Ridley is requested and how people (Like myself) have designed Ridley to be a playable character while staying true to his character. Sakurai isn't stupid or oblivious, he easily knows these things, however...only time will tell if he can make as many people happy as he can.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wishful thinking as in that I hope the roster would look like this with 45 / more characters. If it was a wishlist you'd see Dillon, Layton, and Quote added onto it.

Also how does your statement still stand on the realistic one? Please enlighten me there.
My statement I was reffering to was "why the heck would you have 5 pokemon & Zelda reps but only 4 Mario reps."

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm doubtful on Lloyd's chances... But I agree with the rest.
I will continue to put Lloyd on my prediction rosters even after Pac-man is confirmed. I'm just holding out hope...

And If you don't like Lloyd just use your magic brain/imagination powers to pretend he's Pac-man.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
New roster time!

I really like it! Although I'm doubtful on a Namco newcomer in general, but that's just my opinion. I would love the death out of this roster.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I think he has, but based on everything, not as much as people think. It's hard to say where he gets most of his browsing at too. Though it was revealed at some point he and the others do look at message boards, and with SIX PRODUCERS (Most games don't even have 2-3, usually) there had to have been someone looking even if it wasn't Sakurai.

I just don't think they put much weight into it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
First of all, Villager and WFT, two very unpredictable choices, are already on the roster. It shouldn't be surprising if the remaining newcomers are mostly ones we expect, "playing it safe" pretty much went out the window with those two. Secondly, safe to us is not safe to the general public who will play this game. The 90-something percent who don't speculate or follow Smash news. How many of them are going to expect Takamaru? How many are going to expect Lloyd? That's ofc not even counting the two I already mentioned.

As this point "playing it safe" makes a lot of sense, considering the surprises we've already gotten. Good roster shinpichu.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
It's been awhile for me, but how does everyone feel about cuts now? I've been firmly against them and doubting them. But after yesterday it almost seems inevitable which saddens me.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
First of all, Villager and WFT, two very unpredictable choices, are already on the roster. It shouldn't be surprising if the remaining newcomers are mostly ones we expect, "playing it safe" pretty much went out the window with those two. Secondly, safe to us is not safe to the general public who will play this game. The 90-something percent who don't speculate or follow Smash news. How many of them are going to expect Takamaru? How many are going to expect Lloyd? That's ofc not even counting the two I already mentioned.

As this point "playing it safe" makes a lot of sense, considering the surprises we've already gotten. Good roster shinpichu.

Yeah, no kidding about Takamaru, I mentioned him on another website when discussing Sm4sh and I got a lot of who, whats, and whys when I said Takamaru is probably going to get in. I then mentioned the wait for a new game in his series, when comparing it to the wait for a new F-zero (which is that of like 15 years) and people straight up hated on me. And if I hear, "Oh that minigame from NintendoLand? that character will never get in" I might have to hurt someone >.>
Much love for my boy Takamaru. I just wiush people did some reasearch about him.
/Takarant

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still don't get why everyone thinks that there are going to be cuts. He said that there might be issues. But he never flat out said "I'm cutting characters, or you should expect cuts".

I believe at this point, that Sakurai knows the community doesn't want anyone cut. The cuts from Melee were not well liked, which is now going to translate to the new game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't EVER want to see any Anime garbage on ANY Smash Bros. roster EVER. Especially Dragonball Z.

...sorry, just had to get that off of my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom