• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
...I'll give you points for at least wanting more reasoning so here

-He's the Main Villain
-He's appeared in at least almost every game. Really.
-Metroid really has nobody else in line that's sensible. You can argue with Donkey Kong that we might get Dixie instead or something to that degree... but with Metroid you can't.
-The hunters have appeared in one game or so.
-There's too many Bounty Hunters to just rep one. It's like putting in a Koopaling.
-Being the 2nd most requested character from the NSider polls is really saying something.
-There's no plausible reason you can come up with for the Hunters, no, really.

There's not much else to it that I can think of, really, but with importance, popularity, VERY few character rivals, and little reason to oppose him while Rival Bounty Hunter is just... out there. Yeah.

(I haven't made any roster that I'd really stick to as my roster, but I can tell you I'm more out there than most users for sure)

No not really
I disagree with it not being the situation, but I think I'll add Ridley to the roster and put Sylux under "Other predictions".

The reason I added Sylux is because the bounty hunters have a lot of potential and think they would work about as much as Wolf did (Except they have their own moves. So yeah, Sylux is suppose to be the Wolf of the roster.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hmmmm, maybe I should add him. I'm just saying like I wouldn't immediately go "Oh, Medusa! She's the main villian of the series! I have to add her!" I feel Metroid is in the same situation as Kid Icarus.

Well that's not that good of a comparison. KI's Medusa has only been in a series with three games so far, while the most recent of these games her role was diminished to make room for Hades. While Ridley's role was far more consistent. On top of being in nearly a dozen games in contrast to Medusa's three, Ridley had always had a very strong presence in all of the games he appeared in. Even when he wasn't the final obstacle, he still was the penultimate enemy that Samus had to face. Medusa's presence in KI: Uprising was dwarfed by the aforementioned Hades, along with others like Viridi and Dark Pit.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I disagree with it not being the situation, but I think I'll add Ridley to the roster and put Sylux under "Other predictions".
No it is the situation. I've played all the games. In Kid Icarus it's more of a situation where like Star Fox, they'll probably get Palutena first (If any character) but hey, it's at least cool to see you putting other stuff even if only next to impossible

The reason I added Sylux is because the bounty hunters have a lot of potential and think they would work about as much as Wolf did (Except they have their own moves. So yeah, Sylux is suppose to be the Wolf of the roster.
....I wouldn't really compare Sylux to Wolf

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So what you're saying is, Smash 4 should only add one character? From the already total of 39 as according to Sakurai?

Sakurai has said to not expect as many characters being added this time. Let's say the entire Brawl roster was kept. Only 5 characters are added. Most fans would cause an uproar based on the fact that the main selling point of Super Smash Bros. is the characters. It was, and always has been. Not adding at least 10 characters would be asinine.

We already have 3 new characters, so assuming all of the Brawl roster is maintained, we're already at 42 overall. Every character from Brawl has good reason to be there, with very little if anything against their return. Not to mention, based on the fact that Brawl originally was planned to retain Mewtwo, Roy, Dr.Mario, and Toon Zelda, the roster (in this scenario would lose Sonic) would have totaled out at 42 total characters.

There are reasons why the fans want more characters. Because it is the MOST important part for advertising a game. Gameplay matters when we're playing it obviously, but if there aren't characters that people are drawn into the game with, then whats the point?

Here are some reasons why I myself expect hardly any cuts, if any at all:

1) Lucario will NOT be replaced by Mewtwo, considering they were planned to coexist in Brawl. They are not clones of each other either, as can be proven with a particular Youtube video.

2) Falco has been in the game since Melee, and has already differentiated himself from the other two Star Fox reps to an extent. While he is still similar, he can be differentiated more, as can other semi clones like Ganondorf, Lucas, etc...

3) Ness was already picked over Ninten in the original Smash Bros., which was arguably the only chance Ninten had at getting in. There shouldn't be any cuts from Mother because there isn't a reason to. Ness and Lucas are both important to the series, and represent 2/3 of the trilogy.

4) Fire Emblem has grown into an immensely popular series, and Ike is one of the most popular lords. Considering that Marth is not the mascot of the series, the argument that "They haven't appeared" is applicable to him as well. It doesn't work like that. Chrom being the newest lord of the game which saved the series, has incredible chances to be added.

5) Toon Link is going to likely return based off of the HD remake of Wind Waker, and the fact that Sakurai believes it is important for there to be 2 Links.

Being a clone of another character has nothing to do with a character being scrapped. Notice that both Dr. Mario and Roy were planned to be added, yet Falco, Ganondorf, and Toon Link (basically Young Link) were kept. Being a clone doesn't matter.

I'm sure there is more I could add, but I just don't feel like it.

By the way, i'm also one of those people who thinks Arena Ferox is suspiciously connected with Chrom. Come at me bro.
I don't think that was Ninten's only chance. I think Melee & 64 were times where Ninten had literally NO CHANCE, but now I believe he does. I believe he will be rebooted.

If Lucario is not replaced by Mewtwo he will be replaced by another Poke'mon rep. It's important that because there are around 700 Poke'mon that they differ from each other as much as possible.

Even with the Toon Link riding the train, I don't believe Toon Link is a character sakurai removed, people love that version of Link, and the fact that people love Young Link & Toon Link is why they got in. There are a lot of Links. I am upset ST Toon Link is not the version we get to play as. I have a huge soft spot for Spirit Tracks :lol:

Anybody who thinks Falco will be removed is kidding themselves. Also I think Krystal will be an assit trophy. We don't need 4 SF reps and I think the whole thing where all 3 have the same moves is gonna stay that way. Plus people love Falco. And Wolf being loved is the reason he got in.

Yeah, I was gonna remove Ike, but he is way too popular and unique.

Ness will not be removed. Too many fans and that's why he got into Brawl in the first place. To be honest I think he was added at the last minute because Lucas seems to be WAY more powerful than him.

Sakurai wants to be careful not to remove a character unless he HAS to. We don't want another generation of "Why'd you remove them!?!?!?"

Do you think we will lose Sonic and Snake though?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
hi guys i made changes to my roster for no reason at all​
its not like anything big happened six days ago or anything, no​
but here is that catch, there are two of them, "oh wow aem why is that a thing"​
well ill tell you nonexistant voice in my head, there two because i have a realistic one and more of a wishful thinking variant with more characters on it (five to be exact) so here you go​
Wishful Thinking
Here we have a total of 48 Characters (Counting the Mii)​
Only change I'd make with this one is putting Ike back in over Excitebiker, but my roster sort of follows an organization requirement.​
They go by Columns
Column 1 = Super Mario Brothers (Dr. Mario acts as an Alternate Playstyle for Mario, which could be the way DLC might turn out. But it is still to early to determine that.)​
Column 2 = Mario Related Franchises​
Column 3 = The Legend of Zelda​
Column 4 = Reborn Franchises​
Column 5 = Cuter Franchises​
Column 6 = Vehicle Franchises​
Column 7 = Pokemon​
Column 8 = RPG Franchises​
Column 9 = Retro Franchises​
The row at the bottom signifies "Otherworldly Fighters"​
More Realistic
With the removal of five characters the roster is now cut down to 43.​
The Roster is still generally classified as the same, but now with Column 9 now being classified as "Otherwordly Fighters"​
Also unlike the other one, Ike would not be returning here.​
Feel free to ask questions and share your opinion.​

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Ridley is probably the only other newcomer the Metriod franchise needs to be honest.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
hi guys i made changes to my roster for no reason at all​
its not like anything big happened six days ago or anything, no​
but here is that catch, there are two of them, "oh wow aem why is that a thing"​
well ill tell you nonexistant voice in my head, there two because i have a realistic one and more of a wishful thinking variant with more characters on it (five to be exact) so here you go​
Wishful Thinking
Here we have a total of 48 Characters (Counting the Mii)​
Only change I'd make with this one is putting Ike back in over Excitebiker, but my roster sort of follows an organization requirement.​
They go by Columns
Column 1 = Super Mario Brothers (Dr. Mario acts as an Alternate Playstyle for Mario, which could be the way DLC might turn out. But it is still to early to determine that.)​
Column 2 = Mario Related Franchises​
Column 3 = The Legend of Zelda​
Column 4 = Reborn Franchises​
Column 5 = Cuter Franchises​
Column 6 = Vehicle Franchises​
Column 7 = Pokemon​
Column 8 = RPG Franchises​
Column 9 = Retro Franchises​
The row at the bottom signifies "Otherworldly Fighters"​
More Realistic
With the removal of five characters the roster is now cut down to 43.​
The Roster is still generally classified as the same, but now with Column 9 now being classified as "Otherwordly Fighters"​
Also unlike the other one, Ike would not be returning here.​
Feel free to ask questions and share your opinion.​
Wait, you have 5 Poke'mon reps, 5 Zelda, but 4 Mario???

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
that seems reasonable. Its debateable whether any extra mario reps deserve inclusion. the pokemon reps will at least be different, while zelda reps are debateable as well. I actually didnt see his roster but obviously he picked an extra zelda rep and didnt pick that extra mario rep.

If what you are saying is that we should think of reps on a series to series basis, and mario should have the most reps because his franchise is the most famous, i think you are wrong. Mario most definetly has the 4 most important characters included, toad and bowser jr. while reasonable choices for smash, are no where near as important as the 4 included. As for pokemon, a lot of pokemon characters rank very closely in importance, so having a large number is reasonable. Zelda has a lot of shifting in importance of characters besides link and zelda, so a large number is also reasonable. If characters were picked on series importance alone, mario zelda and pokemon would take up about 3/4 of the roster.

Th3bman

Smash Rookie
Anybody else get the feeling that Krystal will be replacing Wolf? Or be in the game for that matter?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Anybody else get the feeling that Krystal will be replacing Wolf? Or be in the game for that matter?
Me? Not really. And if she did, there is NO way in hell they would replace Wolf. I think it's unnecessary to have 4 SF reps and I think the 3 reps having the same moves is gonna stay that way. Also I like your profile picture, I LOVE The Boondocks. Let's be buddies. :awesome:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's his Wishful Roster aka Wishlist Roster. Those generally just reflect the persons desires and wishes.

However, the bottom roster or his Realistic roster (which I'm taking as a prediction roster) has only four LoZ and four Pokemon reps.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's his Wishful Roster aka Wishlist Roster. Those generally just reflect the persons desires and wishes.

However, the bottom roster or his Realistic roster (which I'm taking as a prediction roster) has only four LoZ and four Pokemon reps.
My bad. I thought it was a real one. But if it was a wishlist roster why were all the characters ones that would probably be in the game? A wishlist should have the characters you want to see. Like if I was making a wishlist/Dream Roster I'd have Raichu, Metal Sonic, Shantae, Gengar, all that stuff :love:

Also if his bottom one is a prediction then I guess my statement still stands.

Th3bman

Smash Rookie
Me? Not really. And if she did, there is NO way in hell they would replace Wolf. I think it's unnecessary to have 4 SF reps and I think the 3 reps having the same moves is gonna stay that way. Also I like your profile picture, I LOVE The Boondocks. Let's be buddies. :awesome:
Thanks dude! Boondocks is the best! Still waiting for Season 4, if it ever comes out -.- And regarding to Krystal, I just thought it'd be cool to have a staff weilding character in the game. It would allow for a very nice and flashy moveset but that's just my opinion. I think it also depends on how Sakurai feels on female representation, if he actually cares by that matter.

D

Deleted member

Is it just me, or have we been getting quite a few Krystal fans that talk about replacing Wolf or Falco within the past 24 hours?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
My bad. I thought it was a real one. But if it was a wishlist roster why were all the characters ones that would probably be in the game? A wishlist should have the characters you want to see. Like if I was making a wishlist/Dream Roster I'd have Raichu, Metal Sonic, Shantae, Gengar, all that stuff :love:

Also if his bottom one is a prediction then I guess my statement still stands.
Personal preference I guess. I would say the roster is leaning more to being realistic than non-realistic. He did add characters he wants to see. In his Realistic roster, he took out those he wanted to see but felt were unrealistic.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I think Krystal can make it in, but I really doubt she would replace any of the current Star Fox characters. I see no reason to why we can't have all four, but of course, some mystical force is going to say "BUT TTK THERE'S NO WAY BECAUSE SMASH IS A TOTZ DIFFERENT CROSSOVER AND TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM HOW OTHER CROSSOVERS ARE PLANNED BY THE WAY I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GAME DESIGN 10/10"

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Is it just me, or have we been getting quite a few Krystal fans that talk about replacing Wolf or Falco within the past 24 hours?
It's the logical path for anyone who wants her. Star Fox isn't really popular enough for four reps and is infamous for Falco and Wolf being clones (the former more so than the latter). Personally I'd be for the change, though I'm pessimistic about her chances to begin with.

D

Deleted member

As I said before, as a 4th Star Fox character, she's acceptable. As a replacement of Falco and/or Wolf, she's unacceptable.

They've earned their place.

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
Krystal in smash bros will never happen if she has to replace wolf (let alone falco). I think starfox character will stay at a maximum of three, but if they decide to go for 4 characters, i think she would be that 4th character

Th3bman

Smash Rookie
Here's another question for my Smash brethren. Who feels that Lucario should be replaced by Zoroark or Mewtwo/Mewthree or any other pokemon for that matter? And if you don't think Lucario should be replaced, who would you add?
I'm of the personal opinion of replacing Lucario with either of the pokemon above, I'd give a tadbit more to see Zoroark because of his badassery in his respective movie and a curiosity for how his illusion ability would be implemented. Although I'm fairly certain that Mewtwo/Mewthree would have a better chance of making the roster.

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
Here's another question for my Smash brethren. Who feels that Lucario should be replaced by Zoroark or Mewtwo/Mewthree or any other pokemon for that matter? And if you don't think Lucario should be replaced, who would you add?
I'm of the personal opinion of replacing Lucario with either of the pokemon above, I'd give a tadbit more to see Zoroark because of his badassery in his respective movie and a curiosity for how his illusion ability would be implemented. Although I'm fairly certain that Mewtwo/Mewthree would have a better chance of making the roster.
I think mewtwo will be the most likely to replace lucario (if he does get replaced) since not only is mewtwo really wanted by a lot of smash players to return, but also with his new form, he could be a more diverse character compared to lucario or zoroark

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think if Lucario is not replaced by Newthree, he will be replaced by somebody else, possibly Zoroark or a second Pok'emon Trainer. See here is the thing. There are around 700 Pok'emon, if we are gonna have 4-5 I believe Sakurai is going to want to make them as different from each other as possible. And yes everybody I am aware Mewtwo was planned to be in brawl with Lucario. People say the removal of Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Toon Zelda were because of time restraints but, think about it. They all have plenty of reasons not to be in. Toon Zelda is excessive because we already have Toon Link and there is no Toon Sheik (Maybe they didn't consider Tetra being a Sheik clone). Dr. Mario was kind of dumb in the first place. And Mewtwo wasn't essential if we had Lucario. As for Roy I have NO idea why they removed him, that was really dumb.

My suggestion is if you're gonna have 5 Poke'mon reps on your roster to have a roster with Male Poke'mon Trainer (Blue/Red) as a starter and then Female Poke'mon Trainer (Heart Gold/Soul Silver) as an unlockable (or I guess X & Y would work just as well.) and then put Mewthree as well. :)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

The popular consensus around here is not to replace Lucario with anyone, but to just add Mewtwo back as both himself and a rep for the 6th gen with his Newtwo form. (In some undisclosed way).

I'm all for Zoroark, but alot of users around here believe that ship has sailed. (You all know it's true.) However, if it were up to me, I'd have all three of them, and still view that as a likely possibility.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think "replace" is the wrong word, as I don't see Lucario being removed just so another specific Pokemon character can be added. I can see both being planned but Lucario not making the cut, but that's not really being replaced, that's just not making it in. And at this point I'd say Zoroark's chances were pretty low (still highest of the 5th gen), so really I think the only post-Brawl Pokemon we might get in playable form is Mewtwo's new forme.

I'd still like Zoroark though. Oh well.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been wanting to make a roster for awhile, actually for as long as I have been here which has been a fair amount of time. (You know from I think the start of this year) But my computer always refuses to open the roster creator that you can download. Why is that?

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
As for Roy I have NO idea why they removed him, that was really dumb.

My suggestion is if you're gonna have 5 Poke'mon reps on your roster to have a roster with Male Poke'mon Trainer (Blue/Red) as a starter and then Female Poke'mon Trainer (Heart Gold/Soul Silver) as an unlockable (or I guess X & Y would work just as well.) and then put Mewthree as well. :)
I know, I liked roy and it would've been cool to see 3 fire emblem characters. As for the pokemon trainer (blue/red) to return, I really find it unlikely if they're going to put a new pokemon trainer version since it would essentially just be a clone (which most of them aren't going to be in this game). I see only one pokemon trainer(either the original or a new one), jigglypuff returning, and mewtwo or a new pokemon

Hey guys, I've been wanting to make a roster for awhile, actually for as long as I have been here which has been a fair amount of time. (You know from I think the start of this year) But the my computer always refuses to open the roster creator that you can download. Why is that?
it's due to either you didn't unzip the files with winzip, or you don't have the java player needed to load it

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
it's due to either you didn't unzip the files with winzip, or you don't have the java player needed to load it
Oh, I literally just downloaded java. Also try not to double post in the future.
As for Krystal's chances..... I think she has a chance but its a small chance

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I know, I liked roy and it would've been cool to see 3 fire emblem characters. As for the pokemon trainer (blue/red) to return, I really find it unlikely if they're going to put a new pokemon trainer version since it would essentially just be a clone (which most of them aren't going to be in this game). I see only one pokemon trainer(either the original or a new one), jigglypuff returning, and mewtwo or a new pokemon
how would it be a clone? If it's a different Poke'mon Trainer from a different generation with different Poke'mon I can't see how that would be a clone unless you were playing AS the trainer.

Like if it was from Gold/Silver we'd have Totodile, Bayleef, and Typlosion.

or from other generations we have other pokemon.

Th3bman

Smash Rookie
Was I the only one saddened by Megaman's look in E3 2013? I had never played the original Megaman series (only those spinoffs like the Battle Network) and after research and a lot of tears I understood why this appearance was chosen over my personal favorite Megaman, X from Command Mission. It's just I never played those original Megaman games, so when faced with this puny, almost cute like thing I shouted in disbelief in that this Megaman made it instead of my beloved X and his badass look. I already had planned out how his final smash would involve him going into X-Fire or god forbid anyone being in the same map with X in Ultimate Armor.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's the classic, quintessential Mega Man. Anything else was always pretty unlikely. Sakurai would want to capture the character in his iconic form, and that is the NES/SNES games.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
When it comes to pokemon everything is really hard to predict since there is just so many of them that make good additions to the roster. The general consensus here seems to be Chu, Puff, Trainer, Lucy, and moo2. This almost seems to be one of the most generally agreed upon general consensuses. It could happen, but having a general consensus for a game that has so many candidates is likely a bad idea. If you look at the past three smash games, all have had one addition that made people go like lolwut (jiggz, tiny chu, and THE MASTER OF ALL OF THE POKEMANZ). It obviously isn't out of the ballpark to say that this game could easily have a not as popular or expected character. Zoroarks popularity may have faded, but he's still just as much of a pokemon as ever. Meowth, kyurem, genesect, rocket grunt, grovyle, and victini all make good unexpected pokemon characters, and that's likely not even all of them. I'd say the only pokemon with enough staying power to never be a possible cut is pikachu, even jiggz could reasonably get cut. Sure people will get butthurt over cuts, but I'm just gonna be like, "told you it could happen" and play with the character in brawl on occasion and not complain about it.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
My bad. I thought it was a real one. But if it was a wishlist roster why were all the characters ones that would probably be in the game? A wishlist should have the characters you want to see. Like if I was making a wishlist/Dream Roster I'd have Raichu, Metal Sonic, Shantae, Gengar, all that stuff.
Wishful thinking as in that I hope the roster would look like this with 45 / more characters. If it was a wishlist you'd see Dillon, Layton, and Quote added onto it.

Also how does your statement still stand on the realistic one? Please enlighten me there.

JPW

Smash Ace
Was I the only one saddened by Megaman's look in E3 2013? I had never played the original Megaman series (only those spinoffs like the Battle Network) and after research and a lot of tears I understood why this appearance was chosen over my personal favorite Megaman, X from Command Mission. It's just I never played those original Megaman games, so when faced with this puny, almost cute like thing I shouted in disbelief in that this Megaman made it instead of my beloved X and his badass look. I already had planned out how his final smash would involve him going into X-Fire or god forbid anyone being in the same map with X in Ultimate Armor.

i'm happy Sakurai chose Classic Form.

This is the Megaman i grew up with, and all these years i was fighting for Megaman to get in, i always had a vision of Classic Megaman and not X. I'm also excited for him having abilities from his other Robot forms.
And the music... OMG I LOVE THE MUSIC!!!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I really can't imagine Krystal ever getting in. Star Fox doesn't deserve 4 reps, and there would be an uproar if she replaced Falco or Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom