• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Why are people so down on Brawl. It added several new spots to the roster and was a great roster jump from Melee. Brawl's shortcoming was its gameplay but we got the following great characters from Brawl:

1. Pit
2. Dedede
3. Metaknight
4. Ike
5. Pokemon Trainer
6. Diddy Kong
7. Wario
8. Snake
9. Sonic

Not to mention other characters that were less known/demanded like Lucas, ROB, etc.

Brawl had a great roster and after thinking about it, every Smash game has made a jump with roster and content. Perhaps we should expect this game to do the same.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So many people predicting Toon Link to be cut is depressing. :urg:

Yeah, I really hope it's just another Ness that is going on. What I'm fearing the most is the dojo update about the Spirit Train stage and Sakurai pulling off another "Up until now" on us. :/

I really hope Toon Link stays. Losing Mewtwo was already bad enough, I don't want to lose Toon Link as well. :urg:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I think a lot of people are being unrealistic about the rosters. Most of them are way too big, even if only larger by a few characters. Anything over 40 (not including transformations) is, to me, being overly optimistic given what Sakurai has said about the game. He mentioned over and over again that he doesn't like having larger rosters as it makes him feel like he's "fattening up the game". I somewhat agree. I also laugh hard at people who want to remove Jigglypuff. She's Japan's Pikachu, in case you didn't realise.

As for the predictions, mine are simple and as follows:
Mewtwo replaces Lucario. His new form appears in the game somehow, if it is not his main model.
I feel as if R.O.B. has been replaced as the WTF character by WFT
Wolf, I feel, is going to be removed and replaced with another Star Fox character, as I don't see Falco leaving after two games. Hopefully not Krystal
Pokemon Trainer... I think will be changed, somehow.
Little Mac is almost certain to be in.
Chrom will be the new Ike.
Megaman replaces Snake
Classic Sonic replaces Modern Sonic (I wish)

EDIT: Oh, and Toon Link will be replaced with another Zelda character. Maybe Ghirahim.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I doubt Ghirahim will make it in. He's basically Skyward Sword's Zant and we all know how that turned out... Not to mention the lack of Skyward Sword Link...

Zema

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. didn't replace G&W, so why would WFT replace R.O.B..
Because why would R.O.B. stay? Let's see Sakurai's reasoning behind R.O.B.

He's a relatively unknown character. Sakurai is known for adding historical but relevant characters to Smash Bros. That said, Wii Fit is one of the best selling games of all time- and again nobody really thinks much of it. If Sakurai is insistent on adding WFT but keeping the roster about the same size, I can easily see R.O.B. getting kicked out.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would cut Krystal. Add Toad, Toon Zelda, Shulk, put back Lucario.Pretty skeptical about K. Rool, consider replacing him with Dixie Kong.Also pretty skeptical about Goroh too. Also there is no single new retro in sight, considering Sakurai wants to add more retro characters. Why not add Takamaru and Prince Sable?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What about Sakurai's recent statement to Kotaku that he's trying to add as many characters as possible? :rolleyes:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Where are you going with this?

Probably that Sakurai, like most good game developers, is full of vague diplomatic crap and only the most specific statements should be listened to at all.

I really don't think the lack of Skyward Sword Link is actually a bad thing for other Skyward Sword characters. I mean, we know there are SS stages, so it's not like he's pretending that the game never happened... we could still get a character to go with those stages.

But, I do agree that Ghirahim is in a position very similar to Zant... a flavorful villain who is likely to be a one-time character. Doesn't bode too well for him.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
What about Sakurai's recent statement to Kotaku that he's trying to add as many characters as possible? :rolleyes:
I can make anyone say what I want them to if I quote them out of context. He has said that the limitations of the 3DS will complicate the complexity of the games since they apparently share roster size. Despite this, he's trying to have as many characters as he can in the games.

I just honestly believe you all should stop thinking we're going to get a roster with more than 40 characters. I would be disappointed by another 35 character roster no matter what, but I'll take the game maker's word that that's pretty much what we're going to get. Coupled with the fact that Sakurai has pretty much dismantled the idea that we're getting more third party characters, and I believe "realist" is the name of my perspective on the game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, the 3DS is only really struggling with the likes of Ice Climbers who consist of multiple characters and maybe transformation characters too. But I'm sure Sakurai will be trying to figure out a way to make it work. The likes of R.O.B. are very likely to be safe though. I'm pretty certain of it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I would cut Krystal. Add Toad, Toon Zelda, Shulk, put back Lucario.Pretty skeptical about K. Rool, consider replacing him with Dixie Kong.Also pretty skeptical about Goroh too. Also there is no single new retro in sight, considering Sakurai wants to add more retro characters. Why not add Takamaru and Prince Sable?
I don't see Toad happening personally, he's a cool dude love him in Mario Kart, but I just don't see him making it in. Sakurai stated a while back that he was hesitant to add a bunch of Mario and Pokemon characters. Though that was back in 2008 and his opinions may have changed.

I will probably add Toon Link before I would consider Toon Zelda. I'm just a little worried that Toon Link won't make with that Spirit Tracks cameo. Though people can make the argument that it is a different incarnation of Toon Link, that cameo in itself doesn't seem all too promising.

Shulk I can see happening.

Lucario might stay, but Idk what Sakurai will do, I just opted for the Awakening form of Mewtwo since that captures a bit of the old and new.

King K. Rool has a better chance of making it in my biased opinion. Not only does he add more of a moveset variety than the other Donkey Kong fighters, but he has also appeared in a lot more games than Dixie Kong.

Goroh I see as a 50/50, Not only was he shown love in the Melee trailer, but he also became a Assist trophy. I think f-zero can use at least 1 more newcomer tops.

No single retro in sight? I have Little Mac :laugh: , though I think I can manage to squeeze Takamaru in there, given his recent Nintendo Land cameo.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think Little Mac is a retro anymore. It needs a few more retros still with the statement Sakurai said about earlier. Toad has a chance now, since his traits are back in SM3DW.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I will probably add Toon Link before I would consider Toon Zelda. I'm just a little worried that Toon Link won't make with that Spirit Tracks cameo. Though people can make the argument that it is a different incarnation of Toon Link, that cameo in itself doesn't seem all too promising.
So long as Sakurai doesn't refer to him as Toon Link or says anything worrying in regards to the Toon Link in Brawl such as "He used to be playable in Brawl, but now he is driving the spirit train." We should hopefully have nothing to worry about.

Honestly, if there is one update I will probably be worrying about the most once Sakurai decides to do daily updates again on the smash Dojo, it's probably the Spirit Train stage update. :urg:

Zema

Smash Journeyman

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I don't think Little Mac is a retro anymore. It needs a few more retros still with the statement Sakurai said about earlier. Toad has a chance now, since his traits are back in SM3DW.
What are you qualifications for being a retro character? Because I consider Little Mac to be a retro character having most of his games on the NES and SNES.
So long as Sakurai doesn't refer to him as Toon Link or says anything worrying in regards to the Toon Link in Brawl such as "He used to be playable in Brawl, but now he is driving the spirit train." We should hopefully have nothing to worry about.

Honestly, if there is one update I will probably be worrying about the most once Sakurai decided to do daily updates again on the smash Dojo, it's probably the Spirit Train stage update. :urg:
I suppose your right, but you can't blame me and other people who are skeptical of his return that picture is pretty alarming.

http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

Read the last line of the article.

EDIT: Oh man. I'm slow. But really, do you expect a game with no roster increase to sell at all? I think not. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't talking about roster size in that article to quote TheTuniator:
Exhaustive debate on that post has made it pretty clear that Sakurai was most likely talking about characters with complex programming, such as Ice Climbers, and not actual roster size. He said "we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree", not "we may need to cut characters". We all just took his quote the wrong way.

As people have pointed out, the 3DS cartridge can hold up to 8GB of information, and Brawl's character data only took up 2GB.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose your right, but you can't blame me and other people who are skeptical of his return that picture is pretty alarming.

Hey don't get me wrong. I realize that this can be pretty alarming in terms of Toon Link's chances of returning, despite that they aren't the same person. I'm just really hoping that this is just another "Up until now" type of deal that plagued Ness during the Brawl day's.

So long as Sakurai doesn't refer to him as Toon Link but instead as the Link from Spirit Track's and doesn't say any alarming things like the example I just gave. It should hopefully be okay...

I already lost my most favourite Melee character, I don't want to lose my most favourite Brawl character as well... :/ I'm going to have to hope that everyone is just overreacting and that Toon Link is still safe...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why were people expecting Ness to be cut from Brawl?

Also, Kikwi-Kiwi, who was your favourite Melee Character?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What are you qualifications for being a retro character? Because I consider Little Mac to be a retro character having most of his games on the NES and SNES.
Retro in the context of Smash is generally considered to be a character that has only had main series games on the NES, SNES, or Gameboy. (N64 is debatable I guess)
EDIT: Or arcade, like Sheriff.
Once Little Mac got his Wii game, he was considered a "revived retro". A character like Takamaru has made reappearances, but not as part of his series, or not as a main character... so, not a revived retro. In Sakurai's comments about the retro character in question, he basically stated this character's series hadn't been revived yet, therefore it's not Little Mac.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why were people expecting Ness to be cut from Brawl?

Also, Kikwi-Kiwi, who was your favourite Melee Character?

There was an update in the Brawl Dojo where Sakurai was talking about Lucas's moveset. In it he was talking a bit about how "There was a character named Ness who appeared in all Smash games to date. Up until now." or something along those lines.

The "Up until now." bit caused quite a stir in the Smash community where many people were certain that Ness was cut and replaced by Lucas. Thankfully that wasn't the case. So I'm hoping that this is a similar deal with Toon Link as what happened to Ness during Brawl and that people are just overreacting again.

And my favourite Melee character was Mewtwo.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hey don't get me wrong. I realize that this can be pretty alarming in terms of Toon Link's chances of returning, despite that they aren't the same person. I'm just really hoping that this is just another "Up until now" type of deal that plagued Ness during the Brawl day's.

So long as Sakurai doesn't refer to him as Toon Link but instead as the Link from Spirit Track's and doesn't say any alarming things like the example I just gave. It should hopefully be okay...

I already lost my most favourite Melee character, I don't want to lose my most favourite Brawl character as well... :/ I'm going to have to hope that everyone is just overreacting and that Toon Link is still safe...
If there is anything that picture makes be doubtful of its having alternate costumes. Because the Train Conductor outfit would have been a good one for Toon Link, along with his Pajamas
Retro in the context of Smash is generally considered to be a character that has only had main series games on the NES, SNES, or Gameboy. (N64 is debatable I guess)
EDIT: Or arcade, like Sheriff.
Once Little Mac got his Wii game, he was considered a "revived retro". A character like Takamaru has made reappearances, but not as part of his series, or not as a main character... so, not a revived retro. In Sakurai's comments about the retro character in question, he basically stated this character's series hadn't been revived yet, therefore it's not Little Mac.
Oh ok, that is understandable

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If there is anything that picture makes be doubtful of its having alternate costumes. Because the Train Conductor outfit would have been a good one for Toon Link, along with his Pajamas

Well at least the Pajamas is still an option. I wouldn't have minded fighting in the Train Conductors outfit as well but oh well, I guess that stage at least deconfirms that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So what you're saying is, Smash 4 should only add one character? From the already total of 39 as according to Sakurai?

Sakurai has said to not expect as many characters being added this time. Let's say the entire Brawl roster was kept. Only 5 characters are added. Most fans would cause an uproar based on the fact that the main selling point of Super Smash Bros. is the characters. It was, and always has been. Not adding at least 10 characters would be asinine.

We already have 3 new characters, so assuming all of the Brawl roster is maintained, we're already at 42 overall. Every character from Brawl has good reason to be there, with very little if anything against their return. Not to mention, based on the fact that Brawl originally was planned to retain Mewtwo, Roy, Dr.Mario, and Toon Zelda, the roster (in this scenario would lose Sonic) would have totaled out at 42 total characters.

There are reasons why the fans want more characters. Because it is the MOST important part for advertising a game. Gameplay matters when we're playing it obviously, but if there aren't characters that people are drawn into the game with, then whats the point?

Here are some reasons why I myself expect hardly any cuts, if any at all:

1) Lucario will NOT be replaced by Mewtwo, considering they were planned to coexist in Brawl. They are not clones of each other either, as can be proven with a particular Youtube video.

2) Falco has been in the game since Melee, and has already differentiated himself from the other two Star Fox reps to an extent. While he is still similar, he can be differentiated more, as can other semi clones like Ganondorf, Lucas, etc...

3) Ness was already picked over Ninten in the original Smash Bros., which was arguably the only chance Ninten had at getting in. There shouldn't be any cuts from Mother because there isn't a reason to. Ness and Lucas are both important to the series, and represent 2/3 of the trilogy.

4) Fire Emblem has grown into an immensely popular series, and Ike is one of the most popular lords. Considering that Marth is not the mascot of the series, the argument that "They haven't appeared" is applicable to him as well. It doesn't work like that. Chrom being the newest lord of the game which saved the series, has incredible chances to be added.

5) Toon Link is going to likely return based off of the HD remake of Wind Waker, and the fact that Sakurai believes it is important for there to be 2 Links.

Being a clone of another character has nothing to do with a character being scrapped. Notice that both Dr. Mario and Roy were planned to be added, yet Falco, Ganondorf, and Toon Link (basically Young Link) were kept. Being a clone doesn't matter.

I'm sure there is more I could add, but I just don't feel like it.

By the way, i'm also one of those people who thinks Arena Ferox is suspiciously connected with Chrom. Come at me bro.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I think people are either just cut-hungry or jumping to assumptions. Not only did Sakurai like the roster but now that the Lease for the game (For those of you who don't know, the contract about not saying anything from people who made the game. It's also called some other terms but I forget those likely better names.) is out, we've learned that this is by far the only Smash Bros where everything worked as planned with all characters except Sonic and even then, Sonic wasn't that late of an addition.
No, shut up about Forbidden 7
If that happened, for the most part with characters, why bother removing them? There's a good argument for every single character on that original 35 roster to stay and I can back each one of those up (Well maybe except R.O.B. to an extent but still).

edit: There will be three to four cuts at most. Calling it. The problem with cuts is not only fans, but let me explain that (and no, don't mention what I collapsed) there is a heavy preference for Vets even if they hold less importance to the series. I can say reasons for each of those 35 characters if you want. Come at me.

By the way, i'm also one of those people who thinks Arena Ferox is suspiciously connected with Chrom. Come at me bro.
Robin.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Do you mean reasons for them to be cut, or to stay? I'm assuming stay.

I will not come at you unless you say please. :troll:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Ridley or Bounty Hunter? And why? :applejack:
Why the hell does Bounty Hunter have any shot in hell? (Any of them) Ridley has appeared in at least almost every Metroid game to my knowledge and as a major villain, if not the villain. I think in a series that doesn't have any other main villains or side characters that's for sure saying something.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I don't see Toad happening personally, he's a cool dude love him in Mario Kart, but I just don't see him making it in. Sakurai stated a while back that he was hesitant to add a bunch of Mario and Pokemon characters. Though that was back in 2008 and his opinions may have changed.

Shulk I can see happening.

Lucario might stay, but Idk what Sakurai will do, I just opted for the Awakening form of Mewtwo since that captures a bit of the old and new.

King K. Rool has a better chance of making it in my biased opinion. Not only does he add more of a moveset variety than the other Donkey Kong fighters, but he has also appeared in a lot more games than Dixie Kong.

Goroh I see as a 50/50, Not only was he shown love in the Melee trailer, but he also became a Assist trophy. I think f-zero can use at least 1 more newcomer tops.

No single retro in sight? I have Little Mac :laugh: , though I think I can manage to squeeze Takamaru in there, given his recent Nintendo Land cameo.
Let's see.....I think F-Zero has got no shot whatsoever at a newcomer. Or star fox. That series is already over represented. I don't think Lucario will go anywhere, but I do think mewtwo will come back. His awakened form along with, in some way shape or form. Donkey Kong is difficult....because K. Rool is perfect for the spot, but he's gotten no love lately. I think Toon Link is gone, but I do think we'll have another link in some way. I'm thinking the classic link from ALBW. Of course Mario is pretty covered for important characters...but if one was added I definantly see Bowser Jr. taking the cake. Heh. Pun. Nobody cut or added for:
Starfox
Kirby
Earthbound
Yoshi
And those four I'm pretty certain for. Wario MAY get a new rep. Probably not though. If he did it'd be Waluigi or a Warioware character. As for Pikmin, either Olimar gets a revamp, or a whole new character is added. C. Falcon and ROB stay, as well as Sonic and Snake, while we see Megaman and Pacman as the new third parties. Ridley finally joins as well, it's only logical. Kid Icarus gets a new rep, likely palutena. As for all new series, besides wii fit and AC, Dillon's rolling western with Dillon, and Punch Out with Lil Mac.
Also chrom. Ike stays.

Edit: I can' say I predict Tingle, But I wouldn't be surprised if he made it.

My predictionés

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why the hell does Bounty Hunter have any shot in hell? (Any of them) Ridley has appeared in at least almost every Metroid game to my knowledge and as a major villain, if not the villain. I think in a series that doesn't have any other main villains or side characters that's for sure saying something.
In my opinion it'd be better to analyze why a bounty hunter may work before immediately jumping to the conclusion that Ridley will be the rep with no competition in the slightest of other Metroid reps. I want to add Ridley as the main spot on my roster, but first I need a reason why A rival Bounty Hunter absolutely is a good idea to shoot off, I have to consider a lot of things before adding or removing from my roster.

I just need a little more besides "He's the main villian, he was in most of the games." I can't immediately jump to a character without thinking about it and having a pro & con list. I think a lot of "not so good rosters" are made when people do that. Not yours (I haven't seen it.) But, people make horrible rosters when they don't think why a character does and doesn't work. I think that's some people don't get my choices, because they don't take 1 second to think about it. When I post my new roster I'm gonna have it come with a list of reasons so I can just copy & paste.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
OK, so I have to ask this. Why do people think that Girahim has any real chance? I've seen a few people who see him as a shoo-in for one reason or another. I have nothing against the character or any of his fans, but what sets him out from other one-shot villains in Zelda history? He might be the most recent, but his overall presence in the series is on the level of guys Zant, Skull Kid, and a few others. I kinda get why people want Vaati though, at least he appeared in like 3 or 4 games. But he's been made somewhat irrelevant in recent years too.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
In my opinion it'd be better to analyze why a bounty hunter may work before immediately jumping to the conclusion that Ridley will be the rep with no competition in the slightest of other Metroid reps. I want to add Ridley as the main spot on my roster, but first I need a reason why A rival Bounty Hunter absolutely is a good idea to shoot off, I have to consider a lot of things before adding or removing from my roster.

I just need a little more besides "He's the main villian, he was in most of the games."
That's the reason though....He's the bowser or ganondorf of metroid and its a shame he hasn't made it YET

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Let's see.....I think F-Zero has got no shot whatsoever at a newcomer. Or star fox. That series is already over represented. I don't think Lucario will go anywhere, but I do think mewtwo will come back. His awakened form along with, in some way shape or form. Donkey Kong is difficult....because K. Rool is perfect for the spot, but he's gotten no love lately. I think Toon Link is gone, but I do think we'll have another link in some way. I'm thinking the classic link from ALBW. Of course Mario is pretty covered for important characters...but if one was added I definantly see Bowser Jr. taking the cake. Heh. Pun. Nobody cut or added for:
Starfox
Kirby
Earthbound
Yoshi
And those four I'm pretty certain for. Wario MAY get a new rep. Probably not though. If he did it'd be Waluigi or a Warioware character. As for Pikmin, either Olimar gets a revamp, or a whole new character is added. C. Falcon and ROB stay, as well as Sonic and Snake, while we see Megaman and Pacman as the new third parties. Ridley finally joins as well, it's only logical. Kid Icarus gets a new rep, likely palutena. As for all new series, besides wii fit and AC, Dillon's rolling western with Dillon, and Punch Out with Lil Mac.
Also chrom. Ike stays.

Edit: I can' say I predict Tingle, But I wouldn't be surprised if he made it.

My predictionés
That's the thing about Personal Predictions, it will differ between person to person. We all are going to have are own reasoning (and a bit of bias) as to why what character will and won't make it. so I'm going to have respectfully disagree on some parts
With that said have you seen this article? It's a interesting read.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection
Sakurai is cutting at least one character (from the way he's talking in this article) and He is focusing on variety in the roster.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I think that cut will be toon link. And my roster was pretty diverse. For debate sake, what do you disagree on and why?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's the reason though....He's the bowser or ganondorf of metroid and its a shame he hasn't made it YET
Hmmmm, maybe I should add him. I'm just saying like I wouldn't immediately go "Oh, Medusa! She's the main villian of the series! I have to add her!" I feel Metroid is in the same situation as Kid Icarus.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

I just need a little more besides "He's the main villian, he was in most of the games." I can't immediately jump to a character without thinking about it and having a pro & con list. I think a lot of "not so good rosters" are made when people do that. Not yours (I haven't seen it.) But, people make horrible rosters when they don't think why a character does and doesn't work. I think that's some people don't get my choices, because they don't take 1 second to think about it. When I post my new roster I'm gonna have it come with a list of reasons so I can just copy & paste.
...I'll give you points for at least wanting more reasoning so here

-He's the Main Villain
-He's appeared in at least almost every game. Really.
-Metroid really has nobody else in line that's sensible. You can argue with Donkey Kong that we might get Dixie instead or something to that degree... but with Metroid you can't.
-The hunters have appeared in one game or so.
-There's too many Bounty Hunters to just rep one. It's like putting in a Koopaling.
-Being the 2nd most requested character from the NSider polls is really saying something.
-There's no plausible reason you can come up with for the Hunters, no, really.

There's not much else to it that I can think of, really, but with importance, popularity, VERY few character rivals, and little reason to oppose him while Rival Bounty Hunter is just... out there. Yeah.

(I haven't made any roster that I'd really stick to as my roster, but I can tell you I'm more out there than most users for sure)

Hmmmm, maybe I should add him. I'm just saying like I wouldn't immediately go "Oh, Medusa! She's the main villian of the series! I have to add her!" I feel Metroid is in the same situation as Kid Icarus.

No not really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom