• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wrong thread.

New topic starter: Tetra is the most likely Zelda newcomer.

Tetra has great moveset potential, a unique playstyle, looks completely unique, and does will with the "4 pillars of success."

Appeal: The release of WWHD, even with less sales, has resparked interest. The prospect of playing as a pirate is very appealing. It's also a strong, less-girly female character, which some folks might feel is missing.
Style: Definitely would fit in smash, and the WW style is already immersed into Smash.
Unique: She's quite unique. There's some similarities with Sheik, but the radically different artstyle (and presumably, radically different physics [and radically different moveset potential due to lack of usable legs]) makes her quite different. Simultaneously, the pirate idea is pretty much a new one, and another female character is, of course, more unique than another male character.
Balance: It would help balance out the roster by making Toon Link less of an odd duckling, and allow for a "realistic vs toon" dichotomy to exist with characters that are technically "Zelda."

And to add with it, a Skyward Sword zelda artstyle is very unlikely. It would be very difficult for SS zelda to transition into Sheik, with Sheik given a "Shoo-in" pass, and it wouldn't be very unbalanced to see cartoony Zelda stand next to realistic Link.
I would love to agree with you, but unfortunately, the most likely Zelda newcomer is Tingle.
As much as I hate Tingle, and live Tetra. Tingle is the likelier of the two.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I would love to agree with you, but unfortunately, the most likely Zelda newcomer is Tingle.
As much as I hate Tingle, and live Tetra. Tingle is the likelier of the two.

Huge lack of personal moveset potential is what hurts Tingle most for me. His goofiness might be hard on his appeal, and he seems a little too goofy for a Smash character. PS: I'd probably have said the same about Villager, so it's not definite. I still think it hurts him, though.

If the game ends up filled with kinda goofy characters, like Tingle, Toad, Diskun, and Waddle Dee, as opposed to more definite fighters like Isaac, K Rool, or Little Mac, then I might just stick with P:M. It's already getting pushed with Villager.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Eh, Tingle's potential isn't that low. He could fire a beam of Rupees like in Tingle's Rupeeland, for example. He probably has more potential, but I'll have to look into things and see just how much potential he really has.

To be honest I'd be fine with any Zelda newcomer at this point, unless Impa replaces Sheik aesthetically. And I'd prefer a Toon Zelda/Tetra duo above all others.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Eh, Tingle's potential isn't that low. He could fire a beam of Rupees like in Tingle's Rupeeland, for example. He probably has more potential, but I'll have to look into things and see just how much potential he really has.

To be honest I'd be fine with any Zelda newcomer at this point, unless Impa replaces Sheik aesthetically. And I'd prefer a Toon Zelda/Tetra duo above all others.

Yeah, not too low. It's just that Tetra, Ghirahim, etc have much higher potential. It's a high-potential series.

I'd prefer Toon-Zelda/Tetra duo, functioning like Zelda/Sheik, but all I'm really after is Tetra. I think Tetra alone is more likely due to less developing time, and Toon Zelda not seeming to have much moveset potential that Zelda didn't already take.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yeah, not too low. It's just that Tetra, Ghirahim, etc have much higher potential. It's a high-potential series.

I'd prefer Toon-Zelda/Tetra duo, functioning like Zelda/Sheik, but all I'm really after is Tetra. I think Tetra alone is more likely due to less developing time, and Toon Zelda not seeming to have much moveset potential that Zelda didn't already take.
Not Ghirahim, I think he could have a cool moveset, but one-off Zelda villains have never made it in before.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
After reading these two sentences, I already like you.
Thanks.I never felt it had to be Dixie vs K. Rool, seeing as Dixie and especially K.Rool have high chances of being in anyways.

And as for Ike, well, "recency" was never anything but a lame reason for him not being in Smash 4.

That's a good chunk of the reason I think there's a good chance K. Rool and Dixie both get added this time around: K. Rool would be one of the earlier newcomers chosen, since he's the fan favorite with the original moveset, while Dixie would be one of the later newcomers chosen, due to being a Luigified clone. Other than the people obsessed with Rep Reps, I don't think this is too much to ask for.
Seems pretty good to me.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think there is a decent chance we may get a veteran confirmation this week.

If not this week, then next week (possibly to confirm Mii alongside the release of Wii Party U and Wii Sports Club in Japan).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda wish Sakurai would reveal new stages that hint on unconfirmed (possible) newcomers...

We already got Ferox Arena hinting on an Awakening character (my money is on Chrom), Pyrosphere trolling the Ridley fans, a boxing ring that suspiciously looks like something from Punch-Out!!, and the Pilotwings stage that is probably the Mii's stage... and that Nintendogs stage if Sakurai changed his mind about a playable Nintendog...

For the likely newcomers... I want to see an ancient Japanese castle with sakura trees and ninjas... hinting on Takamaru... and a pitch black stage illuminated by neon blue platforms and bright balls of light... hinting on Pac-Man...and a peculiar-looking savannah with metallic features... hinting at Shulk.

And for the unlikely newcomers... a rock concert with many random Pokemon in the audience... hinting on Meowth... and a serene marshland with that familiar tree... hinting on Duck Hunt Dog... and a gothic looking haunted castle with familiar decor... hinting on Simon Belmont.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think there is a decent chance we may get a veteran confirmation this week.

If not this week, then next week (possibly to confirm Mii alongside the release of Wii Party U and Wii Sports Club in Japan).
Do you think it's at all possible he reveals a character with nothing going on? Like Meta Knight or Ness? It seems like that would fit in with his unpredictability.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Do you think it's at all possible he reveals a character with nothing going on? Like Meta Knight or Ness? It seems like that would fit in with his unpredictability.
Yes, that is why I said its possible we could a veteran confirmation this week, since its been close to three weeks since the last veteran confirmation.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yes, that is why I said its possible we could a veteran confirmation this week, since its been close to three weeks since the last veteran confirmation.
I know, it's just the last five reveals had something big going on for them, like a game release or in Peach's case and anniversary. I find it likely, if Sakurai doesn't have any ideas, then he will just reveal some random veteran with nothing they can promote, like an Earthbound character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Remember above all else, Sakurai is unpredictable, so expect the unexpected.

We will just wait and see. So far October has been a very quiet month as far as Smash 4 news has gone (the biggest event by far was Sonic's confirmation on the first day, and then a whole lot of nothing except the confirmation of a new Pokeball legendary).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

We will just wait and see. So far October has been a very quiet month as far as Smash 4 news has gone (the biggest event by far was Sonic's confirmation on the first day, and then a whole lot of nothing except the confirmation of a new Pokeball legendary).
True. I expect something shocking to say the least... so we'll have to see. Just have to wait and see what this week has in store for us.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

This is ironic considering we tried to expect the unexpected by suggesting every possible Nintendo character, including the most obscure Japan-only characters, and then BAM! Wii Fit Trainer.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Evidence (hell, proof) of Sakurai caring about niches in games:

"The biggest feature we look at in Smash Bros. is, ‘What does this character bring to Smash Bros. that other characters don’t?’ If you look at… someone from a fighting game already, and people like fighting with this character, from my point of view, it’s like ‘this guy does what this guy already does. He fills the role that this character already has. So while you may like this character and he’s interesting, that doesn’t really merge well, here."

More importantly, "Guy X (from a different game) does what Guy Y (from Smash Bros) already does. Guy X fills the role that Guy Y has already taken."
Role is a literal synonym for niche. The role of "Big sword guy" truly matters, and having another "big sword guy" come in when a "big sword guy" already exists will cause problems. Purest example that people act like is an impossibility: Ike & Chrom.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
No, that's more Sakurai trying not to repeat the roster, that has nothing to do with Niche's. Do you guys take everything Sakurai says and take it out of context?

As a side-note, I think... fudge, what do I think. Oh right. Toon Zelda vs Tingle. Guys, as much as I hate to rely on this, the fact that Toon Zelda is planned while Tingle was closer to the joke assist trophies than actual effort...

Granted, he could make it in as his own series, but that's really questionable. Either or would be original in their own way.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm pretty sure whoever it is will at least have some relevance onto Nintendo's history.

You know, the more I think about it, WFT wasn't really that out of the box with how well the series sells. I think everyone just didn't see it as plausible because of the case with Villager.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I wonder who else Sakurai is saving as a surprise character that could top WFT.
Could there really be anyone else? I mean, I've seen threads and support for almost every Nintendo character except WFT, so I don't think anything can top it. Sakurai most likely gave it to us so early so we can process her and get used to her. It worked.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman

I'm still expecting PT, but I'd consider Lucas or Marth likely confirmations as well. As for a new Zelda rep...Epona. Twice as iconic as Tingle or Toon Zelda will ever be.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Evidence (hell, proof) of Sakurai caring about niches in games:

"The biggest feature we look at in Smash Bros. is, ‘What does this character bring to Smash Bros. that other characters don’t?’ If you look at… someone from a fighting game already, and people like fighting with this character, from my point of view, it’s like ‘this guy does what this guy already does. He fills the role that this character already has. So while you may like this character and he’s interesting, that doesn’t really merge well, here."

More importantly, "Guy X (from a different game) does what Guy Y (from Smash Bros) already does. Guy X fills the role that Guy Y has already taken."
Role is a literal synonym for niche. The role of "Big sword guy" truly matters, and having another "big sword guy" come in when a "big sword guy" already exists will cause problems. Purest example that people act like is an impossibility: Ike & Chrom.
So, what you're saying is if Sakurai picks Girl Y with Staff (Palutena) first over Girl X with staff (Krystal) then Krystal's chances go to zero for playable character? I like your logic pal.:troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think either you have me confused for the one of the other users or are being a complete hypocrite. You really singled ME as the person who starts uncivil arguments that get out of hand when in reality we're simply talking about video games? I'm probably the person who complains most about people doing that and try to maintain that. Give me a break.

Anyway, there was no real dispute about this King K. Rool & Dixie Kong discussion until you came in and decided to ***** and accuse me of arguing because I simply disagree.

And yes, I do have a problem with us talking about boring discussions that have literally nothing to do with this thread. I have every right to complain that we are talking about character reveal dates and Pokemon games on a thread not made for it.

In conclusion, go ***** to real people who are actually bickering about video games when there are actually those people present and doing so. If you really can't stand apposition to something or nay saying go report me. So yes, go to the back room if it bothers you so.
OOOO TOUGH GUY.

Look. He's swearing at me again :troll:.

Seriously though, every time I come in here, you're arguing with somebody. Over the dumbest things.

Also, no. I don't have to do anything you tell me to. We can talk about anything we want. Just because your immature ass comes in here and says, "No, that's boring and dumb" doesn't mean we can't stop talking about. Quite frankly, I find it "boring and dumb" when we talk about several characters that may or may not have any chance at all. Really, we can hardly predict WTF characters. So let's talk about the big names.

Anyway...

What do you guys think? Are we going to be seeing a new character this week?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
No, that's more Sakurai trying not to repeat the roster, that has nothing to do with Niche's. Do you guys take everything Sakurai says and take it out of context?

Repeats in the roster, as in having "the same approximate character" twice? He very clearly stated that a character has a "role" in a roster. In ecology, we call that inter-specific competition for a niche.

"He fills the role that this character already has, [so he wouldn't merge well.]" That's quite literally what Sakurai said. The character, two different characters, were competing for the same "role." Role and niche, again, are synonyms. One already took "that role," which based on sentence structure was clearly a concept independent of the occupant, so the other one that would take that role didn't have a chance. I use niche because it's the word I'm most comfortable with, but they do mean the same thing. Say position, spot, purpose, job, function, whatever you want.

By the way, that's not really what "taking out of context" means. Taking out of context would be, if I were to say, "I've climbed mount everest. Just kidding!" And someone quoted me without the "just kidding" part. It changes the meaning entirely. Whereas with Sakurai's quote, I didn't change the meaning of his quote, I highlighted an aspect of his system of potential character evaluation, which is in regards to character "roles" and how multiple folks who would have the same role end up hurting each other's chances to get in, due to that competition.

Gune

Smash Lord
OOOO TOUGH GUY.

Look. He's swearing at me again :troll:.

Seriously though, every time I come in here, you're arguing with somebody. Over the dumbest things.

Also, no. I don't have to do anything you tell me to. We can talk about anything we want. Just because your immature *** comes in here and says, "No, that's boring and dumb" doesn't mean we can't stop talking about. Quite frankly, I find it "boring and dumb" when we talk about several characters that may or may not have any chance at all. Really, we can hardly predict WTF characters. So let's talk about the big names.

Anyway...

What do you guys think? Are we going to be seeing a new character this week?
If its a veteran reveal its most likely PT or Lucario if not then it most likely another week of sakurai shenanigans.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think a better comparison would be Ike and Magnus if we're talking about heavy sword users. Chrom's sword the Falchion isn't that bluntly huge like the Ragnell, for comparison the Falchion typically ranged from a weight of 7-10 depending on the game and version, while the Ragnell is weighed at 20. The Ragnell also sported higher Might, at 18 in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, while for comparisons the Falchion could reach 15 in Awakening from the Exalted Falchion version.

I'd actually compare Chorm to Marth moreso then Ike, though at the same time there are differences too. Even mentioned by Naga at one point.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I think a better comparison would be Ike and Magnus if we're talking about heavy sword users. Chrom's sword the Falchion isn't that bluntly huge like the Ragnell, for comparison the Falchion typically ranged from a weight of 7-10 depending on the game and version, while the Ragnell is weighed at 20. The Ragnell also sported higher Might, at 18 in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, while for comparisons the Falchion could reach 15 in Awakening from the Exalted Falchion version.

I'd actually compare Chorm to Marth moreso then Ike, though at the same time there are differences too. Even mentioned by Naga at one point.

Right, I keep forgetting Chrom uses the Falchion mainly. My brain's not here today.
I think it might be fair to say that Chrom's fundamental niche includes both Ike territory and Marth territory. if Chrom were to be in with both of them still in, Chrom's realized niche would be pretty... hard to spot. Really pushing it, imo.

Man, I wish Magnus could be a character. :{ Just bring him in, make one of his ending catchphrases "I fight for myself," and then he can Ike balance each other out. <3

Gune

Smash Lord
Right, I keep forgetting Chrom uses the Falchion mainly. My brain's not here today.

Man, I wish Magnus could be a character. :{ Just bring him in, make one of his ending catchphrases "I fight for myself," and then he can Ike balance each other out. <3
I don't think a catchphrase would change the fact Ike already fills that niche even though I do like magnus.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Either Ness to promote Earthbound (It desperately needs some promotion)
Earthbound has actually been doing pretty damn well on the VC, it outdid pretty much every other VC game that wasn't on sale for quite some time in a lot of countries. They've probably already made a good profit off of it. Sure wouldn't hurt to reveal Ness for Smash Bros to make the sales skyrocket once more though.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I don't think a catchphrase would change the fact Ike already fills that niche even though I do like magnus.

It wouldn't change their both occupying the heavy sword user niche, but what it might do is create a nice "Cooperative heavy sword user" and "individualist heavy sword user" dichotomy. Kinda like the "good guy, bad guy" thing.

It'd be enough for me, and probably many casuals. Then again, I love Magnus. A+ guy.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Earthbound has actually been doing pretty damn well on the VC, it outdid pretty much every other VC game that wasn't on sale for quite some time. They've probably already made a good profit off of it. Sure wouldn't hurt to reveal Ness for Smash Bros to make the sales skyrocket once more though.
I really want Lucas to be revealed... it would clear the tiny doubts in my mind, and I want to see him in HD.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Could there really be anyone else? I mean, I've seen threads and support for almost every Nintendo character except WFT, so I don't think anything can top it. Sakurai most likely gave it to us so early so we can process her and get used to her. It worked.
Exactly. After the poor reception to R.O.B, and seeing how people got to like him over time, it was a wise decision to reveal the WTF character right off the bat. We're all used to her now, and once we get the game into our hands she'll probably feel really natural. Compare that to R.O.B, who took one of the last newcomer spots, and was still disliked by many once they got their hands on the game. I'm not really expecting another WTF character right now, but heck, it's Sakurai, so I shouldn't get too comfy either.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

If anything, assuming Chrom isn't a semi-clone or something like that, he would most likely be the "balanced sword guy" in contrast to Ike's power and Marth's speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom