• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Magnus and Shulk both wield a very large sword... I think Sakurai would pick Shulk over Magnus because:

1) Magnus is Sakurai's creation and his humbleness would keep Magnus out of Smash
2) Shulk would represent an unrepresented franchise that is a new post-Brawl Nintendo IP
3) Sakurai might instead add Palutena over Magnus because she is not Sakurai's creation and she would bring something else that Magnus wouldn't (staff magic)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If anything, assuming Chrom isn't a semi-clone or something like that, he would most likely be the "balanced sword guy" in contrast to Ike's power and Marth's speed
No. I was thinking more along the lines of a Beat Down character, emphasis on dishing out powerful attacks as fast as possible. For comparison Marth is a Momentum based character who tries to wait for a mistake then relentlessly attack with a chain of fast attacks, while Ike is more of a Heavy Powerhouse that has large amounts of power but needs to rely on reaction over approaching.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well today.

Well, last night's discussions were a cross between horribly predictable and, in certain areas, beautifully put-together. Scolosis Jones, your last comment put a smile on my face, kudos.

Anyways, the subject...Sword wielders in general and WTF characters...Chrom discussions are so warped they're not worth the effort, Shulk is still a good choice no matter how much certain people want to neglect the Project Rainfall trio of games, and for WTF...I don't know, I think there may be more, but I'm not holding out for it.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
No. I was thinking more along the lines of a Beat Down character, emphasis on dishing out powerful attacks as fast as possible. For comparison Marth is a Momentum based character who tries to wait for a mistake then relentlessly attack with a chain of fast attacks, while Ike is more of a Heavy Powerhouse that has large amounts of power but needs to rely on reaction over approaching.
Kinda like Roy? :awesome:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
My image does not load, so I posted a link for it. I went a little overboard, so I named it a wish roster. For a realistic prediction, remove Paper Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Kamek, Samurai Goroh, Palutena, Ballon Fighter, Pacman, Ninten, Bomberman, Meowth, Mii, Bandana Dee, May, Roy and Isaac.

EDIT - It did not work

Image is broken.
How can I fix it?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I hope there's no more "wtf" characters.

I want a game that's at least moderately serious. We've gotten 2 "wtf" characters. There are some very goofy characters we can add that aren't as much "wtf" (K Rool, Waluigi, to name two.)

Topic starter: Out of all plausible/relatively-likely newcomers, Isaac would bring the most unique and fresh playstyle, moves, and concepts to the table. The combination of Basic sword/physical combat as filler, with very diverse psynergy powers, and Djinn play as a mechanic, leads to a very diverse fighter. It's an elemental-warrior-mage-summoner character, something truly new.

Alongside that, Isaac is quite popular (within top 10, possibly 4th or 5th,) has been an Assist Trophy, is of decent relevancy, with a pretty successful franchise, and is the top boss in his franchise, in terms of importance, frequency of appearance, "who you are" when you play the game, plot-driving, and being iconic.

Reminiscent of the Fire Emblem characters in terms of artstyle, and of Pikmin/Mother/"Link"/FE characters in terms of playstyle. He would fit in perfectly fine.

In terms of balancing the game, though technically another sword-user, he would show us that not all sword users are physical brutes lacking any 'mind powers."

To top it all of that, he's gained I suppose you could say a bit of a cult following (Isaac supporters are far more enthusiastic than Shulk supporters, who seem more laid back.)

Golden Sun had music in Brawl as well.

I would go as far as to say that Isaac is a shoo-in. With Isaac, that puts me at "4 shoo-ins." Isaac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Little Mac.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
But goofy Nintendo characters make Smash Bros fun!

Luigi: Absolutely
Captain Falcon: Absolutelyyy.
Ice Climbers: Absolutely.
G&W: Absolutely.
Wario: Absolutely
R.O.B.: R.O.B. Suckkssss
Snake: (Goofy due to seeming out of place) Absolutelyyyy.
Captain Olimar: Absolutely.
WFT: I can see her being fun.
Villager: A little too far for me.

Luigi's dash attack says everything.
Captain Falcon is so over the top. Then there's that pink costume..lol. A trip to YouTube shows how much fun he makes smash.
Ice climber mechanic is quite off-beat.
G&W: Concept and style is quite off-beat.
Wario: Wah, wah, WAHH!
R.O.B. Suckkkkkkkssss
Snake? Snake?! Snakkkeee!
Captain Olimar is a slavedriver.
WFT: Pardon me, just stretching.
Villager: meh.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Me and Smooth are probably the only people who can shine spike in the BRoom out of all 65 (plus Fatmanonice, who never accepted the invite) of us, lol.

And you should know that; you've been a member for about 2 years, or roughly about 3 months less than I have been a member! :laugh:
>______________> Here I am, I don't exist

No Control

Smash Apprentice
I hope there's no more "wtf" characters.

I want a game that's at least moderately serious. We've gotten 2 "wtf" characters. There are some very goofy characters we can add that aren't as much "wtf" (K Rool, Waluigi, to name two.)

Topic starter: Out of all plausible/relatively-likely newcomers, Isaac would bring the most unique and fresh playstyle, moves, and concepts to the table. The combination of Basic sword/physical combat as filler, with very diverse psynergy powers, and Djinn play as a mechanic, leads to a very diverse fighter. It's an elemental-warrior-mage-summoner character, something truly new.

Alongside that, Isaac is quite popular (within top 10, possibly 4th or 5th,) has been an Assist Trophy, is of decent relevancy, with a pretty successful franchise, and is the top boss in his franchise, in terms of importance, frequency of appearance, "who you are" when you play the game, plot-driving, and being iconic.

Reminiscent of the Fire Emblem characters in terms of artstyle, and of Pikmin/Mother/"Link"/FE characters in terms of playstyle. He would fit in perfectly fine.

In terms of balancing the game, though technically another sword-user, he would show us that not all sword users are physical brutes lacking any 'mind powers."

To top it all of that, he's gained I suppose you could say a bit of a cult following (Isaac supporters are far more enthusiastic than Shulk supporters, who seem more laid back.)

Golden Sun had music in Brawl as well.

I would go as far as to say that Isaac is a shoo-in. With Isaac, that puts me at "4 shoo-ins." Isaac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Little Mac.

I'm sorry, but IMO Isaac is a long, long way from a shoo-in. His franchise seems pretty dead at this point and was never a big seller really. Also he was replaced by a new protagonist (I know Olimar had the same, but Isaac's Golden Sun story seems done at this point), and (this is totally my opinion) he doesn't have as much, well, character as some other characters.

Also, if Ness and Lucas weren't revealed before the game's release, who thinks it would make Lucas actually being in the game very unlikely?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Luigi: Absolutely
Captain Falcon: Absolutelyyy.
Ice Climbers: Absolutely.
G&W: Absolutely.
Wario: Absolutely
R.O.B.: R.O.B. Rockkssss
Snake: (Goofy due to seeming out of place) Absolutelyyyy.
Captain Olimar: Absolutely.
WFT: I can see her being fun.
Villager: A little too far for me.
Fix'd. :awesome:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but IMO Isaac is a long, long way from a shoo-in. His franchise seems pretty dead at this point and was never a big seller really. Also he was replaced by a new protagonist (I know Olimar had the same, but Isaac's Golden Sun story seems done at this point), and (this is totally my opinion) he doesn't have as much, well, character as some other characters.

Also, if Ness and Lucas weren't revealed before the game's release, who thinks it would make Lucas actually being in the game very unlikely?

Franchise got 3.6mil sales. That's quite solid.

Isaac's Golden Sun story may be over, in the same sense that Marth's basically was during Melee's release.

If nothing happens with the Franchise in 2-3 years, I think we can call it dead, but for now, I don't think so.

He does kinda lack character, truth, but what character he does have would be quite unique. EX: Prospects of him using the Golden Sun "smiley bubbles."

Let's put it this way.
Franchise is probably a solid B Tier, in terms of warranted newcomers.
Franchise is "kinda relevant," and decently successful.
Isaac is "Mr. Golden Sun."
Isaac's personality is somewhat lacking, but potential is definitely there.
His smash exposure and style allow for him to end up fitting right in if added.

So Isaac does "more-or-less fine" in basically all regards.

Then there's popularity. Boy, is he popular.
Then there's moveset.. and Isaac has the most inherent moveset potential of, heck, maybe any Smash character (including veterans)

Doing more-or-less fine in basically all regards, is very popular, and is a gift from the Goddess of Movepool.

All this adds up, imo, to him basically being a guarantee.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It's for people who don't like disagreeing. So they make their own room where they all agree on stuff.
No, it's for people who don't like idiots. Trust me, bro, I've been in plenty of back rooms around the internet, the folks there either have some conspiracy of corruption or they have just as much smackdown of stupidity as the normal forums, albeit much more intelligent smackdown, and much more intelligent stupidity.
I really wonder what the BR's roster predictions are. . .

Edit: I take it all back. Sometimes BRs are just stupid. Often these are conspiracies of corruption without even knowing it.
Superedit: You know what, just ignore this whole post, it was stupid. Moral: don't make generalizations about exclusive places.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Franchise got 3.6mil sales. That's quite solid.

Isaac's Golden Sun story may be over, in the same sense that Marth's basically was during Melee's release.

If nothing happens with the Franchise in 2-3 years, I think we can call it dead, but for now, I don't think so.
The series is definitely dormant though, we haven't heard a peep of it for quite a while and it hasn't gotten that much interest as of late. That can change within the next year, but by that time the roster will probably be set and thus have not too much influence.

He does kinda lack character, truth, but what character he does have would be quite unique. EX: Prospects of him using the Golden Sun "smiley bubbles."

Let's put it this way.
Franchise is probably a solid B Tier, in terms of warranted newcomers.
Franchise is "kinda relevant," and decently successful.
Isaac is "Mr. Golden Sun."
-I wouldn't put Golden Sun on B list, that's more the area of Fire Emblem or Metroid, which have more influence and time to them to be mainstays but not to the level of the big guns like Mario or Pokemon, Golden Sun is still rather secluded in comparison and hasn't made itself that much of a strong franchise.
-It's been on hard times after the last game didn't do well though, so that has to be considered, especially since it's a smaller franchise compared to the others.
-Pretty much, he's the most important character in the franchise.

Then there's popularity. Boy, is he popular.
Then there's moveset.. and Isaac has the most inherent moveset potential of, heck, maybe any Smash character (including veterans)

Doing more-or-less fine in basically all regards, is very popular, and is a gift from the Goddess of Movepool.

All this adds up, imo, to him basically being a guarantee.
Actually, he's been on hard times. Japan is not that interested in the character anymore and his western popularity is rather middling compared to the Brawl days. Also, movepool is not going to help or hurt a character too much if Sakurai feels they fit or not. He would make for an interesting movepool, but that's not going to necessarily pave the way for him.

So in that mind, I don't think he's that much a guarantee. He and his series is not at their peak anymore and interest in both are rather low currently, so that does work against him. He's definitely a good possibility, but he's nowhere near the level of, say Mewtwo.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
A place where less stupid people go to get away from the flock. You know, kind of like how parents go to Las Vegas to get away from their children.
This sounds like Heaven!

Nope. K. Rool is still more interesting, has more to work with, and just "stands out" more.

It will have no impact at all, other than maybe a stage... just like the original Majora's Mask release! :awesome:

Also, anybody else think we're gonna get a Wind Waker HD stage=???
Because at the time, Majora's Mask was a rushed game with little preemption
And it was just Anouma's excuse not to make Ura Zelda

But now that it is a famous, and one of the best Zelda games (best IMO), if it got a remake it can finally have some recognition.

And for a WW stage, Outset Island.

EDIT: Why does this thread feel so abandoned,
It's like the Oz amusement park, or Six Flags New Orleans.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If by cool, you mean an ostensibly funny photo of one of the characters making an exaggerated pained face, or of Wii Fit Trainer's bountiful ass, then yes.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Isaac a shoo-in?

I might support him (even if silently) but I don't really think he's even close to being a quarantee. More a character we all want to see and find having certain perks which might spring 'em to be included if considered into a some margin- but no, not a shoo-in.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
The series is definitely dormant though, we haven't heard a peep of it for quite a while and it hasn't gotten that much interest as of late. That can change within the next year, but by that time the roster will probably be set and thus have not too much influence.
No real disagreements.

-I wouldn't put Golden Sun on B list, that's more the area of Fire Emblem or Metroid, which have more influence and time to them to be mainstays but not to the level of the big guns like Mario or Pokemon, Golden Sun is still rather secluded in comparison and hasn't made itself that much of a strong franchise.
-It's been on hard times after the last game didn't do well though, so that has to be considered, especially since it's a smaller franchise compared to the others.
-Pretty much, he's the most important character in the franchise.
1. Tier list is in relation to "newcomer franchises." The tier list based on how much a franchise could warrant a newcomer. In that regard, Legend of Zelda is probably C Tier, DK is A tier, Metroid might be S Tier.
2. Somewhat hard times, true. Smaller franchise, well.. it's honestly not that much smaller than Fire Emblem. (8mil sales vs 4mil sales.) Metroid is at about 17mil sales. Beyond that, for franchises with no reps (barring weird ones like Mario Kart, 1080 snowboarding, etc,) only Paper Mario with about 9mil is unrepresented, with Golden Sun second. Punch-Out!! third. Even paper mario is somewhat questionable, because it's basically Mario.

Actually, he's been on hard times. Japan is not that interested in the character anymore and his western popularity is rather middling compared to the Brawl days. Also, movepool is not going to help or hurt a character too much if Sakurai feels they fit or not. He would make for an interesting movepool, but that's not going to necessarily pave the way for him.
I can't say anything of the east, but IIRC, he was never that huge there. His popularity in the west is definitely going downwards, but still a strong following. I have before alluded to Isaac requesters bordering "cult" status (if Krystal demanders are 100% cult, then Isaac might be approaching 20-30%)
Movepool is definitely the most important aspect. Not just moves, but what they look like and how they feel. Sakurai has stated that he wants a character to bring something unique, and bring it right from their game. In terms of that, Isaac has the best potential. Isaac is popular & relevant enough to make Sakurai look at him with a somewhat serious eye, with his movepool truly being what wins things for him.

So in that mind, I don't think he's that much a guarantee. He and his series is not at their peak anymore and interest in both are rather low currently, so that does work against him. He's definitely a good possibility, but he's nowhere near the level of, say Mewtwo.
Definitely not Mewtwo level. The biggest reason I put Isaac as a "guarantee" is because our newcomer batch is kind of stale. There is nothing like the options from pre-Brawl. (extremely strong Wario, Diddy Kong, Krystal, Bowser Jr, etc.) I rank him so high because there aren't that many solid prospects, and if we're hoping for at least 10 newcomers, then Isaac becomes more obvious than "scraping for Koopa Troopas" or etc.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman

Well yes, since Ness is likely going to be a secret character again, and we'd be without a Mother starter. I'm sure he'll be revealed before then however.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Remember above all else, Sakurai is unpredictable, so expect the unexpected.

We will just wait and see. So far October has been a very quiet month as far as Smash 4 news has gone (the biggest event by far was Sonic's confirmation on the first day, and then a whole lot of nothing except the confirmation of a new Pokeball legendary).

This has nothing to do with anything, but I can't hear or read the phrase "expect the unexpected" without hearing the Tiny Toons theme song and getting it stuck in my head.

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
I think Isaac makes for a good choice personally but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Sakurai would go for to be honest. I think Brawl would've been a much better opportunity to add him than in this game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Wow this thread is slow today.
Question:
Who do you guys find most likely to be a newcomer included in Smash 4?
I'd say Little Mac, Takamaru, Palutena, and Mii.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wow this thread is slow today.
Question:
Who do you guys find most likely to be included in Smash 4?
I'd say Little Mac, Takamaru, Palutena, and Mii.

Going with Little Mac, Dixie Kong... And maybe my own personal bias clouds my mind, but I have a strong feeling on Saki being playable this time. :)

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Cult Appeasing Roster.
Casual/party/family appeasing roster.
Explanations at bottom.
Expecting flame.

Snake stays: We don't need any more 3rd party, even if Namco is developing. Snake staying helps keep some "more serious" gamers interested in the game.
Waluigi & Baby Bowser: Casual Party-Players love both Waluigi and Bowser Jr. To them, they think "Why are they both in Mario Kart, but not Smash Bros?" I'm sure there are some kids out there who go through random Waluigi phases, and I know that Bowser Jr. is a hardcore casual favorite, so both should be in. Toad is left out, as casuals might say: Toad can't fight!|
Mii: Every little kid wants to be a part of their favorite game, and little kids play Smash. It means little to us more serious gamers, but Sakurai has explicitly said he isn't aiming to please us, even going as far as to call us "maniacs."
Tetra: Bolder guess & personal preference. I think she's the most likely Zelda Newcomer, and I think a Zelda Newcomer is more likely than, say, Shulk.
No Chrom: Conflicting niche with Marth and Ike. Ike fights for his friends. Quotes = casual love.
Anna: FE warrants a third rep, and Anna fills a niche that finishes off the "FE sword users." She's small/light/fast/flexible/etc.
Krystal: For the casual girls. They exist, there are many of them, and many of them love Krystal. Krystal not being playable was something many of htem hated.
Isaac>Shulk: Popularity, potential, uniqueness, and semi-cult appeasement.
No Ness: Super bold, but I think one will get cut. Ness has veteran status, while Lucas is more recent/etc. Most casuals I've talked to think Lucas is cooler.
No R.O.B.: R.O.B. sucksssss. Nobody likes R.O.B.
No Wolf: I think the Space Animal fans can take the hit. Krystal would probably be a better character in if we're trying to increase revenue and please customers. Star Fox shouldn't even have 3 reps at this point, but I feel it will retain all 3.
No Ridley: He's a boss. Casuals know him as a Brawl Boss.

Appeasing Ridley cult: "Boss Mode" has an option where the user with the Wii U Gamepad can play as the bosses, so you can play as Ridley.

Roster count is 46 + 4 transformation characters, so 50. If Mii is 3 characters for 3 sizes, then "52" characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Discussing sword characters?

I think Takamaru has a decent-to above average chance.

Apparently Nazo no Murasame Jo is held dear by several Japanese developers, and we've been seeing hints of him everywhere. If that's not setting the red carpet for a playable Takamaru in SSB4, I don't know WHAT is.

edit: Sorry, Sword character discussion was so 2 pages ago. 'c'

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't understand this.
Is this your true prediction? Because there's a lot wrong with it (sorry).
First off, it says Bowser Jr. on here. You mentioned Baby Bowser, and unless it IS Baby Bowser, he will not be a Yoshi rep.
Next, Waluigi is not a Wario rep either. Put either BJ or Waluigi under the Mario category. There's room, just mover Cap and Snake.
Anna would be great, but if we get a new FE character, it is likely it will be Chrom or Roy.
Cutting Wolf is fine, but I doubt Sakurai would replace him with another Star Fox character.
Cutting Ness is a huge mistake, and you know it. If you want to get rid of one, don't go by who the "casuals" think is coolest, go by overall importance, and I recommend taking veteran status into account more.
I don't know why you cut ROB besides your own bias opinion. ROB stays, just like G&W did.
Lastly, and most importantly, you talk about casuals like they are the only ones who matter. Who cares who casuals think is cooler? Who cares who they know as a boss?
So since casuals don't like to play as bosses, Bowser and Ganon should not be playable.
Seriously, forget about all the casuals. WFT and Villager have them covered.

Edit: Also add Takamaru.

Double Edit: And Little Mac. What are you doing with no Little Mac?

Triple Edit: Whoops, sorry, I see Little Mac now.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No R.O.B.: R.O.B. sucksssss. Nobody likes R.O.B.
INCOMING FLAME:

I'm pretty sure some people like R.O.B. Not really sure what your beef with R.O.B. is, you seem to lay into him a lot.

I'm also pretty sure Waluigi AND Bowser Jr. won't happen. Maybe one or the other, but not both. I can't see Mario franchise getting two newcomers.

Not keen on the idea of cutting Wolf for Krystal personally, but that's a personal thing.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Can I just say how much I disagree with the concept of Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., and Mr. Game and Watch all being in one group of "WTF characters"?

I don't want to get flamed for this, but I see it as a rather ridiculous concept.

I see R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch as historical characters. They both got in because they represent a part of Nintendo's history; R.O.B. being the one that literally may have saved the video game industry as a whole and Mr. Game and Watch as the representation for the device that got Nintendo into handheld systems and whatnot.

I see Wii Fit Trainer as a character more like Zero Suit Samus or (to a lesser extent) Sheik. All of them were (female) characters that were revealed at E3 that not many people were expecting, but that, in the end, made perfect sense. Wii Fit Trainer simply was received a bit worse than Zero Suit Samus and (kinda) Sheik.

Because of this, I am still expecting another character that will be branded a "WTF character", but that is actually a historical character like R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch. I do not expect this character to be revealed before the game's release, just like R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch were, and I expect many of my fellow speculators to get upset because they were not able to predict them (just like R.O.B.).

Is there a flaw to my logic, or what?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I don't understand this.
Is this your true prediction? Because there's a lot wrong with it (sorry).
First off, it says Bowser Jr. on here. You mentioned Baby Bowser, and unless it IS Baby Bowser, he will not be a Yoshi rep.
Next, Waluigi is not a Wario rep either. Put either BJ or Waluigi under the Mario category. There's room, just mover Cap and Snake.
Anna would be great, but if we get a new FE character, it is likely it will be Chrom or Roy.
Cutting Wolf is fine, but I doubt Sakurai would replace him with another Star Fox character.
Cutting Ness is a huge mistake, and you know it. If you want to get rid of one, don't go by who the "casuals" think is coolest, go by overall importance, and I recommend taking veteran status into account more.
I don't know why you cut ROB besides your own bias opinion. ROB stays, just like G&W did.
Lastly, and most importantly, you talk about casuals like they are the only ones who matter. Who cares who casuals think is cooler? Who cares who they know as a boss?
So since casuals don't like to play as bosses, Bowser and Ganon should not be playable.
Seriously, forget about all the casuals. WFT and Villager have them covered.

Edit: Also add Takamaru.

-I wrote both Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr. It should be clear I'm talking about Bowser Jr, the mario rep.
-I clumped the "Mario Wario Yoshi" guys close together for the purpose of showing how close they all are.
-I wrote why I doubt Chrom. The problem also applies to Roy.
-Again, trying to appease casuals. I'm trying to sell a game, and it is them that gives me revenue.
-Yeah, I'm really on the fence with Ness or Lucas.
-R.O.B. seems far more suited for assist trophy. He doesn't feel like a "character" you can "play as," but more like a "tool" you can "use." I do predict he'll become an assist trophy.
-I talk about casuals as if they make up the bulk of game sales. We on Smashboards are what Sakurai calls "maniacs." Smash Bros is a game geared towards people who own a wii u and play it with their brothers/sisters/friends. Anyone hoping to make a game that pleases the base, will make a game that pleases the casuals and intermediates (sakurai even said so for intermediates) above the "maniacs," which really are few in number.
-No where did I even imply that casuals do not like to play as bosses. What should have been interpreted is that people will play SSB4, see Ridley as a playable character, and think back to him in Brawl. "Why is he so much smaller? Why isn't he a boss anymore?" It would lead to a lot of confusion.
-If we're trying to be even remotely proportional to how much of the game base they are, then Sakurai should just give SWF posters Mewtwo, then aim entirely for casuals. They outnumber us, at a massive ratio.

-I see Little Mac as covering the retro category. I also see pretty strong conflict between Takamaru and Anna.

INCOMING FLAME:

I'm pretty sure some people like R.O.B. Not really sure what your beef with R.O.B. is, you seem to lay into him a lot.

I'm also pretty sure Waluigi AND Bowser Jr. won't happen. Maybe one or the other, but not both. I can't see Mario franchise getting two newcomers.

Not keen on the idea of cutting Wolf for Krystal personally, but that's a personal thing.
I could see Waluigi and Bowser Jr. both happening. Smash Bros. is more like a Mario Kart, Mario Party, or Mario Sports game, and those two are endemic to that archtype.

The R.O.B. comment was a joke playing onto the fact that I do tend to give R.O.B. a hard time. Though it's true I don't like R.O.B. too much, I try not to let my biases get in the way of R.O.B. The reason I have doubts for R.O.B. is because of the things I think Sakurai, Nintendo, and the devs would consider important. I should note that I absolutely 100% despise Sonic and Megaman, but I fully supported Sonic as a character. Megaman, I never thought about much.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Can I just say how much I disagree with the concept of Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., and Mr. Game and Watch all being in one group of "WTF characters"?

I don't want to get flamed for this, but I see it as a rather ridiculous concept.

I see R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch as historical characters. They both got in because they represent a part of Nintendo's history; R.O.B. being the one that literally may have saved the video game industry as a whole and Mr. Game and Watch as the representation for the device that got Nintendo into handheld systems and whatnot.

I see Wii Fit Trainer as a character more like Zero Suit Samus or (to a lesser extent) Sheik. All of them were (female) characters that were revealed at E3 that not many people were expecting, but that, in the end, made perfect sense. Wii Fit Trainer simply was received a bit worse than Zero Suit Samus and (kinda) Sheik.

Because of this, I am still expecting another character that will be branded a "WTF character", but that is actually a historical character like R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch. I do not expect this character to be revealed before the game's release, just like R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch were, and I expect many of my fellow speculators to get upset because they were not able to predict them (just like R.O.B.).

Nope, it actually makes sense to me.
As for WFT, I consider her a "New Franchise" character, like Olimar was in Brawl.

The question is, who could possibly be the new historical character this time?
.... I'm praying for Nester... Or Captain N, although they don't hold nowhere near the historical importance that Mr.G&W and ROB did. XD

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nope, it actually makes sense to me.
As for WFT, I consider her a "New Franchise" character, like Olimar was in Brawl.
She could be considered that as well. Honestly, she's also similar to Pokemon Trainer; they both were main characters of successful franchises that no one thought about adding.

(This is what we're talking about if you're confused.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom