• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Don't see that as so unbelievable.
Honestly, Aura Sphere is the only thing Lucario and Mewtwo have in common.

And Lucario's Aura Sphere changes size and attack power as Lucario's damage gets higher, while Mewtwo's Shadow Ball stays at the same size and shocks opponents while being charged.[/quote]

I never said it didn't. I mean not to sound rude, but we're defending clearly obvious details to the slight differences of their B move like it's suppose to prove something. Maybe they will both be in it, I don't know. But, it's like saying "Yeah, but Luigi's Fireball goes straight, so he's completely different." I know that.

Yeah, Lucas's PK Thunder goes through people, so?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not really.
Let's see:
-Mewtwo and Lucario are both humanoid Pokemon.
-Both Share a similar nB.
-Both have a similar f-Smash.

-Captain Falcon and Link have the same nAir.
-Both are human males.
-Both have a spammable nA.

Yup, that's about the same number, +/- one..
Don't see that as so unbelievable.
Yeah, actually, it is, because Lucario's <>B is actually called Force Palm, a move Mewtwo has never been able to use.

Also, dude you need to fix up those quotes.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, they have a lot of similarities, so do other characters. I was just saying it's possible Lucario may be replaced. Kinda want to change the subject to something not so obvious as the similarites and differences between Lucario and Mewtwo.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I never said it didn't. I mean not to sound rude, but we're defending clearly obvious details to the slight differences of their B move like it's suppose to prove something. Maybe they will both be in it, I don't know. But, it's like saying "Yeah, but Luigi's Fireball goes straight, so he's completely different." I know that.

Yeah, Lucas's PK Thunder goes through people, so?
Lucario and Mewtwo aren't even semi-clones.

I think people see them as too similar because they both speak with telepathy, are popular Pokemon that starred in their own movies, and have a similar neutral B move.

Gameplay-wise, the only similarity is that single B move. Lucas and Ness share more moves than Lucario and Mewtwo.

Yeah, they have a lot of similarities, so do other characters. I was just saying it's possible Lucario may be replaced. Kinda want to change the subject to something not so obvious as the similarites and differences between Lucario and Mewtwo.
If Mewtwo was replaced in Melee, then yeah, Lucario could be replaced as well, but they were both going to be put in Brawl at once. (I think Mewtwo was cut because they used the development time to add Sonic)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So when two characters have almost identical movesets it's ok to have both of them in, but when two characters have a ball of energy as their standard special move and nothing else in common it's weird to have both of them in?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So when two characters have almost identical movesets it's ok to have both of them in, but when two characters have a ball of energy as their standard special move and nothing else in common it's weird to have both of them in?
I don't care. All I said was that Lucario might be replaced by a newer poke'mon rep because we already have Mewtwo.
and will you stop saying that the B move is ALL they have in common. The Aurora is similar to the Shadow, the are humanoid Pok'emon, and they have a couple similar A moves. But, I don't care because it's not important.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Yes I think it will include both or just the new one, I feel the transformation might not come from a mere button press though (maybe it has to be earned?)
I like the idea of form shifts being earned, maybe they can do similar with sheik, zero suit, and one or two of PKs mons.

I notice that a lot of rosters on this thread have 49 characters, or some other odd number to make space for a random button. Do we see that as necessary around here?
No. I have the random button because it made my roster symmetrical.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I notice that a lot of rosters on this thread have 49 characters, or some other odd number to make space for a random button. Do we see that as necessary around here?
We've never really had an even numbered roster total since Super Smash Bros., and this does not even include transformations.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I forgot to add a few characters under other possibilities. Shulk, 8-bit Mario, & Skull Kid.

Total Characters: 50
Total Newcomers: 16

CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMMOROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :colorful::colorful::colorful:

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Mario series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr.
DK series: DK, Diddy, K. Rool
Yoshi series: Yoshi
Warioware: Wario
Legend of Zelda: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Link, Ganondorf
Metroid: Samus/ZSS, Ridley
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jiggs, PKMN Trainer (unchanged), Mewtwo
Kirby Series: Kirby, Dedede, Metaknight
Starfox: Fox, Falco, Wolf
FE: Marth, Ike, Roy
Mother/Earthbound: Ness, Lucas
F-Zero: Cpt Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Pikmin: Olimar
Retro: Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Pit, Takamaru, Little Mac
3rd Party: Snake, Sonic, Lloyd Irving
New Series: Shulk, Isaac

Possibilities: Dr. Mario swapped for Jr., Chrom swapped for Roy, Lucario isn't cut. These possibilities are just decisions I think may happen. Really not too much logic.

Alright, just posting it again near the end of our wait. Any thoughts are welcome!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, might as well post my pre-E3 roster.

- Dr. Mario is under his own series
- Bowser Jr. could be eaisly swapped for Toad
- Ghirahim is a Zelda placeholder for now...I do believe Sakurai will try to keep the Mario and Zelda character number as close as possible

I don't really think so. I chose 49 characters because I didn't want to go overboard, so I limited myself to around 50 (though I chose to use a space for Random). Plus it makes things look nice and tidy. I've seen some rosters that excluded the random button (similar to Melee) as well.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
We've never really had an even numbered roster total since Super Smash Bros., and this does not even include transformations.
49, 47, 51, and 53 just seem odd to me though. At least 25 and 35 are "neat" numbers for the lack of a better term. They're multiples of 5. (And no, I do not count transformations.)

That's just a minor detail, I know, but I couldn't help but notice.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I like the idea of form shifts being earned, maybe they can do similar with sheik, zero suit, and one or two of PKs mons.

No. I have the random button because it made my roster symmetrical.
I feel Zelda shiek can stay the same and I like the fact you have to choose with zamus but mewtwo a transform is somehow supposed to make the ultimate Pokemon even stronger so I think you having to earn newtwo would be interesting.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Noah your other possibilities list has probably 7 actual possibilities with the rest being, at best, just hopefuls.

What really bugs me on the list is Metal and 8-bit Mario and not even including Dr. Mario when he's been in a game and probably the most likely "2nd Mario" Mario rep outside of Paper Mario. Skull Kid is also most definitely not going to be in because he's way too old and irrelevant now. Wreck-It Ralph is also a no. He's 4th party, and just because Bowser cameos in a movie of his, doesn't mean he's getting in.

The roster on the other hand is quite nice aside from Ninten, Sylux, Lyn and Bomberman.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

- Ghirahim is a Zelda placeholder for now...I do believe Sakurai will try to keep the Mario and Zelda character number as close as possible

I don't really think so. I chose 49 characters because I didn't want to go overboard, so I limited myself to around 50 (though I chose to use a space for Random). Plus it makes things look nice and tidy. I've seen some rosters that excluded the random button (similar to Melee) as well.
Uh, I have some major problems

1. Should have chrom.
2. Dr. Mario should not be his own series, let alone in the game at all, unless DLC. I think Dr. Mario & Pichu were really bad ideas for Smash reps.

3. Biggest one of all: Okay, if we have Toon Link, we don't need more Toon characters, it's like if we had Paper Mario and then added Paper Luigi, and Paper Peach, and then we added WigglyTuff and Mew. Also if there is no Ganondorf why is there Toon Ganondorf. And why is he called Toon Ganondorf if there is no normal Ganondorf. I'm really confused here.

Toon Zelda: MAYBE, but still overboard.

Toon Ganondorf: Okay, no. anybody who has that is going too far.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

1. Should have chrom.
2. Dr. Mario should not be his own series, let alone in the game at all, unless DLC. I think Dr. Mario & Pichu were really bad ideas for Smash reps.

3. Biggest one of all: Okay, if we have Toon Link, we don't need more Toon characters, it's like if we had Paper Mario and then added Paper Luigi, and Paper Peach, and then we added WigglyTuff and Mew. Also if there is no Ganondorf why is there Toon Ganondorf. And why is he called Toon Ganondorf if there is no normal Ganondorf. I'm really confused here.

Woah dude calm down.

It's like you're offended that she included Toon characters.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Woah dude calm down.

yeah chillax. I'd say Toon Ganon is more likely than Skull Kid anyway. And Chrom isn't some guarantee. It's debatable, but most everyone can agree it's either Roy or Chrom most likely as the new/returning rep.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh n
Woah dude calm down.

Oh no!!! Not the Toon characters! Invasion of the toons!!!

Yeah, more than one Toon character is not a bad thing, Noah.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't care.
and will you stop saying that the B move is ALL they have in common.
But I only said that once, and I was refereeing to movesets, so I wasn't counting the fact that they're both human like, which doesn't really matter at all. The only other move they have in common is the forward smash attack, that's it, it's better than an actual clone. In any case Lucario is more popular and iconic then any of the 5th gen Pokemon, I find it more likely that they'll skip over the 5th gen like they did with the 3rd gen. It looks like this new form of Mewtwo is the 6th gens big Pokemon reveal similar to Lucario and the 4th gen, there is nothing hinting at us getting anything bigger than that. Seeing as Lucario essentially replaced Mewtwo (even if that wasn't intended) it's weird for Mewtwo to replace Lucario. If Lucario got a new form in the 8th gen and became more relevant and important and what not would he replace Mewtwo again in Smash 5? Also I think they would rather re-add Lucario than make a completely new moveset for someone who is less popular and iconic then Lucario and Pokemon is so huge I can't see it getting less than 5 reps.

I forgot to add a few characters under other possibilities. Shulk, 8-bit Mario, & Skull Kid.

Total Characters: 50
Total Newcomers: 16

CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMMOROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :colorful::colorful::colorful:
I don't think anyone brought this up regarding Ninten, so I'll say it. I think it makes more sense to try and differentiate Ness and Lucas to make them play completely different from each other than to add another Mother protagonist.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone brought this up regarding Ninten, so I'll say it. I think it makes more sense to try and differentiate Ness and Lucas to make them play completely different from each other than to add another Mother protagonist.

Also another valid point. But the Ninten argument was long and grueling with Noah not easing up at all, regardless of having many points against him. I suggest not starting it again. you've no idea how long it took him to even add Ridley to his possibilities list.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

I really don't see the point of having Dr. Mario if you aren't going to have Pichu and Young Link.

Either have all 3 blond-haired dudes (Shulk, Isaac, Saki), or replace Saki with Isaac. (or Matthew)

Not sure why Dr. Mario is suddenly his own franchise.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Also another valid point. But the Ninten argument was long and grueling with Noah not easing up at all, regardless of having many points against him. I suggest not starting it again. you've no idea how long it took him to even add Ridley to his possibilities list.
I wasn't planning on "starting it again" just wanted to bring that point up because I don't think anyone else has.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, they should. I mentioned that to a couple other people before, that all 3 should have different moves. but I never actually thought of putting it in my video.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

1. Should have chrom.

1. Perhaps if FE were to get 4 characters, then I'd totally add Chrom (getting 4 isn't impossible). However, I'm still a firm believer that if we were to get three, it would be: Marth, Ike, Roy.

2. I do think Dr. Mario being under his own series isn't too far-fetched. In Brawl, I do believe all Dr. Mario content (excluding stickers) are not under the "Mario" category, but under "Other" (I'm not 100% sure on this, though. So I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm this). I know a lot of people aren't keen on Doc. Perhaps because they don't want him taking up a Mario newcomer spot. But if he's under his own series, that can't happen, now can it? (but in reality, I don't think Doc is going to affect anyone's chances. He could end up as an easy semi-clone addition). Anyway, if you personally think Doc was a bad idea, then I understand. However, I still like the idea, and I'd love to see Doc in the game some way or another (perhaps even an alt costume).

3. Why is it bad to add another Toon character? Toon Zelda was considered for Brawl (there's even some data), so Sakurai is perfectly fine with the idea of having more than one Toon fighter.

I mean, I totally love Toons!

Also if there is no Ganondorf why is there Toon Ganondorf. And why is he called Toon Ganondorf if there is no normal Ganondorf. I'm really confused here.
I'm not sure I understand you. I don't think we are going to get Twilight Princess Ganondorf, and I personally like to see Toon Ganon (probably just a name to refer that he's from Wind Waker), or something loosely based on his Wind Waker persona. Unfortunately, I don't really have high hopes for Ganon being de-cloned, so Toon Ganon is more as an aesthetic thing.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
1. Perhaps if FE were to get 4 characters, then I'd totally add Chrom (getting 4 isn't impossible). However, I'm still a firm believer that if we were to get three, it would be: Marth, Ike, Roy.

2. I do think Dr. Mario being under his own series isn't too far-fetched. In Brawl, I do believe all Dr. Mario content (excluding stickers) are not under the "Mario" category, but under "Other" (I'm not 100% sure on this, though. So I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm this). I know a lot of people aren't keen on Doc. Perhaps because they don't want him taking up a Mario newcomer spot. But if he's under his own series, that can't happen, now can it? (but in reality, I don't think Doc is going to affect anyone's chances. He could end up as an easy semi-clone addition). Anyway, if you personally think Doc was a bad idea, then I understand. However, I still like the idea, and I'd love to see Doc in the game some way or another (perhaps even an alt costume).

3. Why is it bad to add another Toon character? Toon Zelda was considered for Brawl (there's even some data), so Sakurai is perfectly fine with the idea of having more than one Toon fighter.

I mean, I totally love Toons!

I'm not sure I understand you. I don't think we are going to get Twilight Princess Ganondorf, and I personally like to see Toon Ganon (probably just a name to refer that he's from Wind Waker), or something loosely based on his Wind Waker persona. Unfortunately, I don't really have high hopes for Ganon being de-cloned, so Toon Ganon is more as an aesthetic thing.

1. Yeah, but not more than 2. Besides for all we know Toon Zelda was removed because more than 1 Toon Character is considered excessive. I've seen rosters that have Toon Link, Toon Zelda, AND Toon Ganondorf. That's not gonna happen.

2. Keeping the Twighlight designs makes sense because they represent Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf for more than just 1 game. Not to mention Sheik and Ganondorf are not in Skyward Sword. So you would have to remove both of them. Skyward Zelda can't Transform into Sheik.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Yeah, they should. I mentioned that to a couple other people before, that all 3 should have different moves. but I never actually thought of putting it in my video.
Making 2 kids with PSI powers fight differently is one thing, but 3 just seems like too much trouble especially seeing how Mother isn't that big of a series and Ninten is relatively unknown and unpopular. It doesn't seem like something they would want to do, and I feel his inclusion would be very underwhelming. Ok I'm done talking about Ninten now.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
1. Yeah, but not more than 2. Besides for all we know Toon Zelda was removed because more than 1 Toon Character is considered excessive. I've seen rosters that have Toon Link, Toon Zelda, AND Toon Ganondorf. That's not gonna happen.

2. Keeping the Twighlight designs makes sense because they represent Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf for more than just 1 game. Not to mention Sheik and Ganondorf are not in Skyward Sword. So you would have to remove both of them. Skyward Zelda can't Transform into Sheik.
And I have seen a roster that has Starfy, Lyndid, Bomberman, Paper Mario, Sylux, Matthew, and the stark absence of a certain Mr. Ridley. NOT gonna happen.

And Shiek wasn't in TP...yet they made a model based of a conception TP model during TP's development days.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Alternatively:

You could stylize Sheik and Ganondorf into SS instead of use that as logic to not use the SS art-style.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I really don't see the point of having Dr. Mario if you aren't going to have Pichu and Young Link.
Because, unlike the two you mentioned, Doc was planned for Brawl. He didn't make it as far as Roy and Mewtwo, mind you. However, and I also believe that he has more popularity than the two (Pichu and Y. Link).

Sakurai said that he likes having a younger incarnation of Link in Smash (...right? I don't really remember). I do believe Toon Link is essentially the spiritual successor to Young Link (since TL is a younger Link). Because of that, I don't feel the need to add Young Link (I doubt that we're going to get 2 "younger" Links anyway).

Either have all 3 blond-haired dudes (Shulk, Isaac, Saki), or replace Saki with Isaac. (or Matthew)
Shulk vs Isaac vs Saki was a hard one for me. I chose Saki over Isaac because I am somewhat biased in that regard. But yeah, I can totally see the 3 getting in, it's not impossible.

Like what has already been said, they could make the Zelda cast fit the SS style, as Sheik's design was made to fit into the TP style (though based on TP a concept of her).

I don't mind the SS style really. I do like more cartoony designs anyway.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Mario series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr.
DK series: DK, Diddy, K. Rool
Yoshi series: Yoshi
Warioware: Wario
Legend of Zelda: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Link, Ganondorf
Metroid: Samus/ZSS, Ridley
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jiggs, PKMN Trainer (unchanged), Mewtwo
Kirby Series: Kirby, Dedede, Metaknight
Starfox: Fox, Falco, Wolf
FE: Marth, Ike, Roy
Mother/Earthbound: Ness, Lucas
F-Zero: Cpt Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Pikmin: Olimar
Retro: Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Pit, Takamaru, Little Mac
3rd Party: Snake, Sonic, Lloyd Irving
New Series: Shulk, Isaac

Possibilities: Dr. Mario swapped for Jr., Chrom swapped for Roy, Lucario isn't cut. These possibilities are just decisions I think may happen. Really not too much logic.

Alright, just posting it again near the end of our wait. Any thoughts are welcome!
Jigglypuff approves of this roster!!!!
And so do I. 10/10

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
And I have seen a roster that has Starfy, Lyndid, Bomberman, Paper Mario, Sylux, Matthew, and the stark absence of a certain Mr. Ridley. NOT gonna happen.

And Shiek wasn't in TP...yet they made a model based of a conception TP model during TP's development days.
Paper Mario, Matthew, Lyn, and Starfy are very likely choices. And don't ask me to prove myself again because I've done it like a million times already. You act as if those choices are even remotely bad as Toon Ganondorf and Dr. Mario. Yeah, I think you might be exaggerating there. Also don't be so sure about who is gonna be in it because I'm not convinced your roster would be perfect. You'd have to be in on the game development to be THAT sure that these likely characters are not gonna be in it.[/quote]

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Sora, Bomberman, Baby Bowser, Different color yoshis. Lol I think thats all I want. Oh and i'm pretty sure Loyd is gonna be in the mix.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Paper Mario, Matthew, Lyn, and Starfy are very likely choices. And don't ask me to prove myself again because I've done it like a million times already. You act as if those choices are even remotely bad as Toon Ganondorf and Dr. Mario. Yeah, I think you might be exaggerating there. Also don't be so sure about who is gonna be in it because I'm not convinced your roster would be perfect. You'd have to be in on the game development to be THAT sure that these likely characters are not gonna be in it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure of any characters are in the game. I'm not claiming to know who is or isn't in. For all I know, Starfy could get in over Ridley. However, due to many factors, Ridley is more likely than Starfy. im pretty sure you have heard reasons for Ridley's likeliness before. Some characters chances are worse than others. Yet you do not recognize that fact concerning your roster. Half of those characters, from my POV, are biased choices.

And what I'm criticizing you for is the fact you attack people's rosters for being stupid or unrealistic despite yours being just as unrealistic. As well, the inflammatory nature you judge ones roster is immature and unneeded. I assume this may be because the way people great you but I believe you brought it upon yourself. You don't handle criticism well and you refuse to show a common lake of decency to members who have opinions that differ from yours. In addition, you run away from questions you can't answer and, when you do answer them, youare accusatory, immature, and use the "guilt trip card" to make yourself into the victim.

I'm pointing out that you have unrealistic choices as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom