• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
1. Yeah, but not more than 2. Besides for all we know Toon Zelda was removed because more than 1 Toon Character is considered excessive.
That's a pretty bold statement.

Got a source for that?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Noah said "For all we know..." I think he was stating the possibility. Not saying that was the reason.

Although, it could of been for many reasons, we don't know. However, imo, I think Sakurai would have skipped them over before possibly including her if "too many toon characters". Yet, "too many toon characters" does not discount the possibility of 1 or 2 extra Toon characters because its unproven. While unlikely, it's still a possibility.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Noah said "For all we know..." I think he was stating the possibility. Not saying that was the reason.

Although, it could of been for many reasons, we don't know. However, imo, I think Sakurai would have skipped them over before possibly including her if "too many toon characters". Yet, "too many toon characters" does not discount the possibility of 1 or 2 extra Toon characters because its unproven. While unlikely, it's still a possibility.
Did not see the "For all we know..." I guess I really am tired.

Regardless, I'm inclined to think that Sakurai is fine with multiple Toon characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Seems unlikely Sakurai would go to the effort of partially programming two addition toon characters without thinking about the abundance of them beforehand, but as we obviously can't claim anything definitively, I guess I'd agree it is a possibility, however small.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Did not see the "For all we know..." I guess I really am tired.

Regardless, I'm inclined to think that Sakurai is fine with multiple Toon characters.
Yes and you also have to consider the fact that WW will be remastered (or rebooted...not sure) for the WiiU.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I see. Oops. I meant you have to consider the remake. It might boost the possibility for an extra toon character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I doubt it was because of too many toon characters, and more like too many zeldas, really 4 is quite excessive.
Sheik and Tetra aren't really "Zeldas", though. Sure, the character is actually Zelda, but in terms of appearance, personality and movesets they are completely unique.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i dont feel like getting a roster maker tonight but here's my predictions b4 tomorrow.

Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Paper Mario
Zelda Series: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganandorf, Toon Link, Toon Zelda/Tetra
Pokemon: Pikachu, PKMN Trainer (unchanged), Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Lucario
Donkey Kong Series: DK, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool
Yoshi: Yoshi
Warioware: Wario
Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight and King DDD
Starfox: Fox, Falco and Wolf
Metroid: Samus/ZSS, Ridley
Mother: Ness and Lucas
Kid Icarus: Pit, Palutena
Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike, Chrom and Roy
Pikmin: Olimar
F-Zero: Captain Falcon
Retro: Mr Game & Watch, R.O.B, Ice Climbers, Takamaru and Mach Rider
New Series: Shulk, Little Mac, Mii
Third Parties: Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man and Megaman

Paper Mario is interchangeable with Bowser Jr and Mach Rider may get passed over by another retro choice but otherwise this is how i think it may go.

D

Deleted member

Reposting my final roster before E3 2013:

I am going to screen cap this image for proof in the very off-chance I get this roster right.

Edit:
Here is my proof in the case my roster ends up being the final roster.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
To Rebellious Treecko

By fun, I assume you mean this isn't a serious prediction? Well, might as well please most people. Where to start...

Mario: Very overpopulated. Keep Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. I can see either Toad or Waluigi making the cut. Fawful seems unnecessary.
Yoshi: I don't see Kamek making it in. I don't think the Yoshi series really NEEDS a second rep. But yeah, Kamek really was the one who brought Yoshi on his journey, so he'd be first suspect.
Donkey Kong: Keep Donkey, Diddy, and K. Rool. Remove Dixie & Kiddy.
WarioWare: Same regards to the Yoshi series. The side characters in WarioWare haven't had a significant impact on the series or other Nintendo properties. Wario has proven his representation across many Nintendo media and games. Captain Syrup may be unnecessary.
Pokemon: Overpopulated. Remove N, Meowth, and spin-off. Lucario and Mewtwo is kind of a risky bargain. Personally, I don't see either making it. Or at least Newtwo will be the X&Y rep. X&Y rep I most suspect.
Legend of Zelda: Overpopulated. Remove Tingle and Toon Ganondorf. Toon Link is really not needed, but Winder Waker is being remade for Wii U, so it might be a good time to promote the game. I can see Ghirahim as taking a 4th roster slot and it would be convenient with Toon Link's removal.
Kirby: Overpopulated. Remove Gooey and Dark Matter.
Metroid: Can really stand alone with Samus/ZSS. Ridley is a very reasonable choice. Sylux and Dark Samus seems unnecessary, but could work if done right.
Mother: Looks fine.
Fire Emblem: Overpopulated. Remove Lyndis and Micaiah. Medeus could be interesting, but unlikely. Then we are put in the limbo between having either Chrom or Ike or them together. Chrom should get in by flavor of the installment or Ike will be secret if another space is available, but I think there are some more deserving FE characters for rep. Roy really isn't necessary like Mewtwo would be, but it wouldn't hurt.
Golden Sun: For an entry series, 1 or 2 reps would be fine. I can see Isaac or Felix as the most likely choices. Don't know enough about Alex to discredit him. Also, consider Matthew due to flavor of the installment.
F-Zero: Looks fine. Hope that Black Shadow isn't a Captain Falcon clone.
Starfox: I can see Krystal getting in. Then you are in a limbo area with Falco and Wolf. Both of which are cloned or partially cloned off Fox. Falco has been around since Melee and has gained popularity through that period. Wolf's moveset functions slightly different, but could still work. One or both could be axed honestly.
Kid Icarus: Looks fine.
Ice Climber: Looks fine.
Pikmin: Captain Olimar should stay with new Pikmin included or one of the new protagonists could replace him. It could be either Charlie or Alph.
Others: Remove Miss Madeleine, Aeron, Captain Rainbow, Cubivore, Diskun, R.O.B., Mike Jones, Sheriff, Sukapon, Mii, and Duck Hunter. Saki might be replaced by Isa. Muddy Mole and Prince Sable while not being bad choices, could be obscure to include at once. Andy should operate some sort of mech al a Tron Bonne in the Marvel vs. Capcom series whilst retaining his abilities as a character. New franchises are wholeheartedly welcome. Anyone I didn't mention looks fine.
3rd Party: Seriously, does no one understand Sakurai when he says that he doesn't want to add 3rd parties 'willy-nilly'? Yet alone keep the old ones for roster space. Remove Snake. Sonic could be axed for someone like Bayonetta but Sega's partnership with Nintendo plus exclusive game deals could have Sonic stay for one more game. Pac-Man should not get in over Lloyd Irving, but may be shoe-in due to some respect nonsense about him being a founding video game character. Pac-Man seems nothing more than a relic. I barely hear anyone talk about him anymore unless nostalgic. He seems like a hype killer and was in Street Fighter X Tekken alongside Mega Man. Lloyd on the other hand has a good chance due to the Tales producer holding a key chair in the game's development and the Tales team being involved with the game. Also has critically acclaimed games and huge popularity in Japan. May be a good chance to boost Tales awareness in other regions and hold homage to the Gamecube era. Mega Man should definitely get in given his fan demand is at Sonic levels and he was an important character throughout Nintendo's history. While Capcom is all but neglecting his franchise, faithful appearances in Project X Zone (yes, I know it was X) and some VC releases give some hope. Heck, fans could throw a Heel Face Turn on Capcom because it signals a triumphant return for Mega Man. Eh, Sonic was going through a similar phase around Brawl. If Pac-Man gets in too though, I might feel slightly disappointed. Sora could work, but seems unlikely now with KHIII on PS4. Banjo & Kazooie would be brilliant, but Microsoft owns Rare. Travis Touchdown could have a chance considering No More Heroes's creator came to Sakurai around Brawl for inclusion. Rayman could work and would be good with Ubisoft's support for Nintendo.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
To Rebellious Treecko

By fun, I assume you mean this isn't a serious prediction? Well, might as well please most people. Where to start...

Mario: Very overpopulated. Keep Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. I can see either Toad or Waluigi making the cut. Fawful seems unnecessary.
Yoshi: I don't see Kamek making it in. I don't think the Yoshi series really NEEDS a second rep. But yeah, Kamek really was the one who brought Yoshi on his journey, so he'd be first suspect.
Donkey Kong: Keep Donkey, Diddy, and K. Rool. Remove Dixie & Kiddy.
WarioWare: Same regards to the Yoshi series. The side characters in WarioWare haven't had a significant impact on the series or other Nintendo properties. Wario has proven his representation across many Nintendo media and games. Captain Syrup may be unnecessary.
Pokemon: Overpopulated. Remove N, Meowth, and spin-off. Lucario and Mewtwo is kind of a risky bargain. Personally, I don't see either making it. Or at least Newtwo will be the X&Y rep. X&Y rep I most suspect.
Legend of Zelda: Overpopulated. Remove Tingle and Toon Ganondorf. Toon Link is really not needed, but Winder Waker is being remade for Wii U, so it might be a good time to promote the game. I can see Ghirahim as taking a 4th roster slot and it would be convenient with Toon Link's removal.
Kirby: Overpopulated. Remove Gooey and Dark Matter.
Metroid: Can really stand alone with Samus/ZSS. Ridley is a very reasonable choice. Sylux and Dark Samus seems unnecessary, but could work if done right.
Mother: Looks fine.
Fire Emblem: Overpopulated. Remove Lyndis and Micaiah. Medeus could be interesting, but unlikely. Then we are put in the limbo between having either Chrom or Ike or them together. Chrom should get in by flavor of the installment or Ike will be secret if another space is available, but I think there are some more deserving FE characters for rep. Roy really isn't necessary like Mewtwo would be, but it wouldn't hurt.
Golden Sun: For an entry series, 1 or 2 reps would be fine. I can see Isaac or Felix as the most likely choices. Don't know enough about Alex to discredit him. Also, consider Matthew due to flavor of the installment.
F-Zero: Looks fine. Hope that Black Shadow isn't a Captain Falcon clone.
Starfox: I can see Krystal getting in. Then you are in a limbo area with Falco and Wolf. Both of which are cloned or partially cloned off Fox. Falco has been around since Melee and has gained popularity through that period. Wolf's moveset functions slightly different, but could still work. One or both could be axed honestly.
Kid Icarus: Looks fine.
Ice Climber: Looks fine.
Pikmin: Captain Olimar should stay with new Pikmin included or one of the new protagonists could replace him. It could be either Charlie or Alph.
Others: Remove Miss Madeleine, Aeron, Captain Rainbow, Cubivore, Diskun, R.O.B., Mike Jones, Sheriff, Sukapon, Mii, and Duck Hunter. Saki might be replaced by Isa. Muddy Mole and Prince Sable while not being bad choices, could be obscure to include at once. Andy should operate some sort of mech al a Tron Bonne in the Marvel vs. Capcom series whilst retaining his abilities as a character. New franchises are wholeheartedly welcome. Anyone I didn't mention looks fine.
3rd Party: Seriously, does no one understand Sakurai when he says that he doesn't want to add 3rd parties 'willy-nilly'? Yet alone keep the old ones for roster space. Remove Snake. Sonic could be axed for someone like Bayonetta but Sega's partnership with Nintendo plus exclusive game deals could have Sonic stay for one more game. Pac-Man should not get in over Lloyd Irving, but may be shoe-in due to some respect nonsense about him being a founding video game character. Pac-Man seems nothing more than a relic. I barely hear anyone talk about him anymore unless nostalgic. He seems like a hype killer and was in Street Fighter X Tekken alongside Mega Man. Lloyd on the other hand has a good chance due to the Tales producer holding a key chair in the game's development and the Tales team being involved with the game. Also has critically acclaimed games and huge popularity in Japan. May be a good chance to boost Tales awareness in other regions and hold homage to the Gamecube era. Mega Man should definitely get in given his fan demand is at Sonic levels and he was an important character throughout Nintendo's history. While Capcom is all but neglecting his franchise, faithful appearances in Project X Zone (yes, I know it was X) and some VC releases give some hope. Heck, fans could throw a Heel Face Turn on Capcom because it signals a triumphant return for Mega Man. Eh, Sonic was going through a similar phase around Brawl. If Pac-Man gets in too though, I might feel slightly disappointed. Sora could work, but seems unlikely now with KHIII on PS4. Banjo & Kazooie would be brilliant, but Microsoft owns Rare. Travis Touchdown could have a chance considering No More Heroes's creator came to Sakurai around Brawl for inclusion. Rayman could work and would be good with Ubisoft's support for Nintendo.
Yeah, it's more of a SSB5 or SSB6 roster than a SSB4 roster.

My real (45-character) roster is here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-discussion-thread.336018/page-79#post-15564383

I'd reply some more, but I'm tired and I want to go to bed soon. I guess I'll answer your other points later.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Ray? Ray??! I LOVE YOU!!
Note that Ray isn't a stand-alone character, but one of two models you can choose from for a customizable hero. Ray isn't a good choice as a stand-alone fighter because limiting him to a moveset that isn't customizable completely misrepresents the series.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I'm not sure of any characters are in the game. I'm not claiming to know who is or isn't in. For all I know, Starfy could get in over Ridley. However, due to many factors, Ridley is more likely than Starfy. im pretty sure you have heard reasons for Ridley's likeliness before. Some characters chances are worse than others. Yet you do not recognize that fact concerning your roster. Half of those characters, from my POV, are biased choices.

And what I'm criticizing you for is the fact you attack people's rosters for being stupid or unrealistic despite yours being just as unrealistic. As well, the inflammatory nature you judge ones roster is immature and unneeded. I assume this may be because the way people great you but I believe you brought it upon yourself. You don't handle criticism well and you refuse to show a common lake of decency to members who have opinions that differ from yours. In addition, you run away from questions you can't answer and, when you do answer them, youare accusatory, immature, and use the "guilt trip card" to make yourself into the victim.

I'm pointing out that you have unrealistic choices as well.[/quote]

I never said his roster was "stupid" and I disagree that the choices you listed (with the exception of Sylux) are as unrealistic as said roster. And I find it arrogant that you would pretend like you don't have unrealistic choices. I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt you don't.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I never said his roster was "stupid" and I disagree that the choices you listed (with the exception of Sylux) are as unrealistic as said roster. And I find it arrogant that you would pretend like you don't have unrealistic choices. I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt you don't.
None of us can truly say we have a realistic roster because we have no idea what's going on beside Sakurai's head. However, I must agree with him (along with just about everyone) in saying that you're choices are less realistic than ours. For example, Ridley is still absent from your roster while you have Starfy. Could it happen? Yeah, sadly. Should it happen? Not in a million years. Is it likely to happen? Not even close.

Facts to back up that comparison:

Ridley is not too big, insanely popular, and the most iconic villain of Metroid.

Starfy is pretty popular, but it seems to be limited to Japan and still nowhere near compares to the likes of Ridley, Mewtwo, K. Rool, etc. The starfish also seems distasteful when trying to think of a good moveset.

We've fully explained each of our choices to to convince each other that our choices are realistic to some extent. For example, Masked Man (who is in my roster) isn't likely, but he makes a ton of sense based on the way I built the roster (meaning it would be strange if he were included and I hadn't built the roster with my method). As a proposal, I've gotten a lot of praise as my roster is definitely unique and still works out well as a balanced roster.

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
Note that Ray isn't a stand-alone character, but one of two models you can choose from for a customizable hero. Ray isn't a good choice as a stand-alone fighter because limiting him to a moveset that isn't customizable completely misrepresents the series.
Yes, of course. But, with the basic gun, bomb, pod, etc, with the Ray Mk III body, I figure that would capture the "air" of Custom Robo.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Yes, of course. But, with the basic gun, bomb, pod, etc, with the Ray Mk III body, I figure that would capture the "air" of Custom Robo.
Exactly. It's Ray 01, though. I did, however, intend to let the player choose their bot. Not sure if I would/should limit it to Ray models.

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. It's Ray 01, though. I did, however, intend to let the player choose their bot. Not sure if I would/should limit it to Ray models.
Now, that could get into an interesting game mechanic. Pick from, let's say, 3 bots. Then you could have a choice of gun (Dragon, Gatling, Basic, etc.), Followed with a choice of bombs or pods..hmm...

Perhaps you could start out with Ray01 and Ray MkIII, and you could unlock a couple more iconic robos, like Rahu or Seal Head?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Now, that could get into an interesting game mechanic. Pick from, let's say, 3 bots. Then you could have a choice of gun (Dragon, Gatling, Basic, etc.), Followed with a choice of bombs or pods..hmm...
The only issue I could possibly see with this mechanic is that there would just be so much to implement, especially if it's not limited to Ray models.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

I'm not sure of any characters are in the game. I'm not claiming to know who is or isn't in. For all I know, Starfy could get in over Ridley. However, due to many factors, Ridley is more likely than Starfy. im pretty sure you have heard reasons for Ridley's likeliness before. Some characters chances are worse than others. Yet you do not recognize that fact concerning your roster. Half of those characters, from my POV, are biased choices.

And what I'm criticizing you for is the fact you attack people's rosters for being stupid or unrealistic despite yours being just as unrealistic. As well, the inflammatory nature you judge ones roster is immature and unneeded. I assume this may be because the way people great you but I believe you brought it upon yourself. You don't handle criticism well and you refuse to show a common lake of decency to members who have opinions that differ from yours. In addition, you run away from questions you can't answer and, when you do answer them, youare accusatory, immature, and use the "guilt trip card" to make yourself into the victim.

I'm pointing out that you have unrealistic choices as well.
I never said his roster was "stupid" and I disagree that the choices you listed (with the exception of Sylux) are as unrealistic as said roster. And I find it arrogant that you would pretend like you don't have unrealistic choices. I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt you don't.[/quote]

I have some unrealistic choices. However, and its not arrogance, I think my choices that differs from yours such as Ridley and Palutena have a higher chance than lets say Starfy or Lyndis. This is based on popularity in Japan the west, historical trends, and community discussion. I do not see much fan support for either outside of thier respective support groups while both Ridley and Palutena constantly rank high on popularity polls as well as video gaming journalistic sites.

But anyways, now is not the time to bicker and argue. Today is the day we have been preparing out bodies for and, in less than two hours, we will achieve enlightenment.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Almost 15 minutes. and yes I'm back. My lecturer felt really unwell so he let us out early so he could go to the GP. Lucky for me. (But not for him though, hope he gets well soon.)

Anyway's I'm back and my body is ready! And I've got my hype train ticket ready too!

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I cant believe were almost about to see it, well ladies and gentlemen things will change forever from here on out. So i wish all of you and your character hopefuls good luck, its gonna be one hell of a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom