• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I feel dirty even saying this, but I don't think I would be surprised if Sakurai changed his mind on Animal Crossing. Don't really expect him to, but had Sakurai not said what he did, I think everyone would agree an Animal Crossing character (even if you're ridiculous and think that means Tom Nook), would be a great addition that really deserves it.
I think deep down, most people would think that there should be an Animal Crossing character. If Sakurai had not shot one down during Brawl, it would definitely be among the Top 10 most wanted addition (possibly among the Top 5 overall).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well sorry for thinking a character representing ANIMAL crossing should be an ANIMAL

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I mean, "Sakurai might change his mind you never know" is probably one of the worst lines of "reasoning" that people say all the time, but in some cases it's definitely possible. If the situation has actually changed. Mii's are a good example, since he made his decision before they took over everything.

New Leaf was a huge success, with loads of new content to pull from. Namely, the mini-game island now actually puts players against each other. STILL IN A LIGHTHEARTED WAY, but maybe that would be enough for Sakurai. Smash is very lighthearted to begin with, so his decision in the first place is a little baffling.

OH SO NOW HUMANS AREN'T ANIMALS ARE THEY PSYCHO. GUESS I'LL JUST GO TO HEAVEN WITH MY NEWFOUND SOUL THEN.

D

Deleted member

If his issue is that the Villager doesn't fit the violent image, why not go with an AC character that does?

Would it really be so bad if he gave his ideas for the Villager to Resetti instead because he's more of a violent character?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I definitely think that Animal Crossing deserves a character. Perhaps if Sakurai hadn't said that statement, we would be seeing more Animal Crossing characters on people's rosters...I know I would include one if that was the case. But yeah, that statement made me iffy though, that's why I'm not including an AC character on my roster...atm. I'll wait and see.

But anyway, it's called Animal CROSSING because you, the villager, is in Purgatory and must cross into Heaven. So you are technically a GHOST/SOUL, not a human!...Ignore my crazy theories!

I wouldn't mind seeing Resetti as a fighter, actually. Including his brother sounds like an interesting idea anyway. Actually, it would've been cool to see Don pop up sometimes instead of Mr. Resetti for the AT, perhaps acting more mellow and not talking as much.

D

Deleted member

It was for Animal Crossing in general.
The original document that Sakurai dismissed the Villager and Nintendog stated "characters like the above will not be playable if it does not seem plausible for them to fight".

The Famitsu article that mentions Sakurai stating that he can make a Villager fight using a bug net and shovel mentions that the Villager strayed too far from Smash's image despite being able to make as a fighter.

While the Nintendo Power interview (the same one with the Ridley quote) states that he "looked at games like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs, where there aren't really any characters that lend themselves to fighting", the same interview gives conflicting information from the Famitsu article;
-The Nintendo Power interview mentions there being no new characters since Captain Olimar that could work well in a fighting game.
-The Famitsu article mentions there being no series since Pikmin that offered a suitable character.
The former is saying that all characters that debuted after Olimar, including ones such as Mario's Bowser Jr. and every WarioWare character other than Wario himself, did not work well in a fighting game. However, this is contradictory because we have Ike, Lucas, and Lucario, all of whom debuted much after Olimar (Not listing Toon Link because he's another incarnation of Link).
The latter is saying that only the characters from new franchises that debuted after Pikmin were unsuitable. So this would only apply to say, Starfy or Chibi-Robo.

So signs are more pointing towards the Villager himself being the target rather than the series as a whole.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm, well even so the distinction isn't that important. Since, to answer your question about Resetti (or any other not-the-Villager character), yes it would look stupid.

Villager or bust, that's the only way it can be.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Actually, I'd rather see Resetti. One, he actually is a character instead of a protagonist with an intentionally empty personality.

Also, a character with a pickaxe that can burrow under the stage? Pretty potential for an interesting moveset.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The villager has quite a variety of looks. Which would you guys prefer?
The best way to implement them, with the least work, would be to use something closer to their original designs (though the longer designs from New Leaf would be more of a base). That is, with the horned hat for boys and the pointed hat with weird hair for girls. The different genders would be handled like Wario, each model getting 4 or 6 colors. Beyond that, the eyes and clothing patterns would just be different textures.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think your getting better than/ less than mixed up

Resetti < Tom Nook > Villager

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Villager makes the most sense using axes, pitfalls, slingshots, next etc since he actually uses them.
I don't really have a preference though. An animal crossing rep is an animal crossing rep to me.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Awh man, I'm reminded that when New Leaf is finally released here, Isabelle, the new secretary character, is probably going to get a lot of gross popularity.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Why Isabelle of all people...

Also while I'm not that suprised about it, I'm creeped out that she gets some fanart depicting her as this "attractive dojikko".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A woman dog that looks like she's got a beard?

Sold!

Seriously beard. I wouldn't be surprised if she got the same kind of "Fan art" as Poison

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Gross as in a large amount or gross as in disgusting?

EDIT: You never know on the internet.
Gibdo kind of stole the joke, but any amount of popularity she gains is inherently gross, since it's for a poor choice.

@Horsetail: While we're asking, why Nook? I understand why he seems to stand out, but people seriously overestimate him. Especially when he's described as the "mascot." He hardly receives any preferential treatment.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Nook is the one who gets the main promotion outside the games for the most part.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Favorite thing out of the AC series:

I prefer Tom Nook over AC Villager, but either is fine really.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, Ike is still hugely popular today. Everyone seems to speak well of him.

Except Low Tier trash as Micaiah. :rolleyes:
That's a funny way of spelling Soren.

Implying Ike didn't give Elincia the Big D

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Ooh, Ike talk.

Yeah, I know, overused joke.

Seriously though, Ike is probably my second favorite FE Lord. I think his chances are pretty well, as he only has to deal with Roy, Chrom and/or Lucina, and possibly Lyn/Robin/Micaiah.
And I actually like Ike's moveset in Brawl, but I admit seeing Ike so slow is very awkward.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I generally would advice you to be true to yourself and your thoughts; but you have to conform. Ike's a pretty rad dude.
Oh I never said Ike is lame or anything, he's just well... there. Rarely do characters in the Fire Emblem series hold value to me, mainly because they are pretty disposable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom