• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Up until 2007, E3 would come during the first or second week of May. If that were still the case, we would only have to wait another two or three weeks for the unveil of Smash 4.

As it stands, we got another eight weeks of waiting left.
Should we have a party to celebrate the night before?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't even have expectation anymore. Actually, I'd almost HOPE Smash will suck. Cause then I don't have a reason to buy a Wii U anymore.
Hah, snap... I'd be so completely disappointed, but it's definitely true that I also wouldn't waste money buying a Wii U if Smash turned out to be the worst one yet. To be fair though, I feel like I'm going to end up shelling out the hundreds of dollars as long as they put in at least two of the characters I want.

How many of you don't have a Wii U anyway?

Also, in terms of roster discussion... if Smash Bros. 4 has all of the characters you're (realistically) hoping for, what would future Smash Bros. games be able to bring to you?

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Also, in terms of roster discussion... if Smash Bros. 4 has all of the characters you're (realistically) hoping for, what would future Smash Bros. games be able to bring to you?
The characters I'm unrealistically hoping for, of course.:awesome:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Even if they don't have hardware to show, not having a large presentation like normal is bad. Iwata is going to receive a lot of criticism.
Not really, the e3 presentations were mainly a bunch of fluff for the PR and journalists anyway. With it in a nintendo direct format we wont have to sit through all the BS like graphs and the other stuff they would run through before just for the spectacle of it. Now they can show what they want in the best possible way, with no goofs like the skyward sword on stage demo. We will also get direct feed and it will be on all the media outlets, really it will save them a ton of money ta boot and all the hands on impressions will still be there once the press gets to the demos they have.

Im kinda glad they are going this route, while the other two companies blow a ton of money on lackluster presentations (both of which have been terrible for the last few years), nintendo can put out what they want and possibly have their own spotlight depending on whenever they want to show it.

D

Deleted member

Well, I said I'd update once we hit 1000. And it seems Christmas came sooner than expected:

Who are your favorite Fire Emblem Lords?

(you can choose more than one)

Lucina 13% 448 votes

Ike 13% 448 votes

Lyn 12% 413 votes

Hector 12% 413 votes

Chrom 11% 379 votes

Ephriam 9% 310 votes

Marth 7% 241 votes

Eirkia 4% 138 votes

Roy 4% 138 votes

Eliwood 4% 138 votes

Micaiah 4% 138 votes

Sigurd 3% 103 votes

Leif 2% 69 votes

Selica 1% 35 votes

Selis 1% 35 votes

Alm 1% 35 votes

Total votes: 3443 Voters: 1003

Keep in mind that the votes beside each character are mathematical approximations, not tallies.

Lucina actually held her own as the most popular ahead of Ike for quite a bit, that's why I placed her ahead of Ike. It's very surprising for me to see her as the MOST popular lord in the West so far. Anyone mind clueing me in as to why she's so liked?

Lyn also managed to stay ahead of Hector for some time, though I wish I could have had tallies in this case just to see the final results as it was a close contest between the two.

Other than that, you can pretty much garner the rest yourself. Alm is in his own tier because I think he literally may have gotten only 1 vote. For the longest time he was at 0%.

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised to find Lyn to be tied for 2nd most popular lord in the West.

In regard to future updates, I may do one at 2000, though the resuts of the poll have stayed largely the same for a good 700 voters, so I don't think we'll see many changes really. I think this might very well be the general opinion across the West, lest anyone else has any suggestions on where else to post it. I don't wanna extrapolate, but I think we've hit a nice and varied sample.

Anyway, thoughts? Analysis? I'll be posting this in the FE thread and General thread as well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucina's position likely has to do with the West liking more powerful lords, and especially females. Lucina,
and all of the other children in Awakening can get skills passed down from the parents. This gives Lucina access to many different skills based on who the mother was (with proper reclassing, Galeforce with Sumia, Lethality with Olivia, Miracle with Maribelle, Swordfaire with Sully, or potentially anything with a female Avatar.

tl;dr: She's extremely versatile and potentially powerful depending upon whether or not the player makes certain choices and plans ahead.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

I gotta agree with GM on this one, most of the posts on 4chan were, 'you waifu'd you lose' with a picture of Lucina. Likewise, she also tops Japanese polls, which I would attribute to the fact that she's a genderbent Marth.

However, I wouldn't say it's JUST because Lucina is a girl. Look at Micaiah, very few people like her, and over on SF everyone hates her.

Now I wonder how much of Lucina's and Chrom's popularity is attributed to the fact that they are new. I wonder how well they'd stand the test of time. I have a feeling Chrom might not do so well in the long run, however Lucina might still stand at the higher ends, mostly because FE13 was a first for many.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I gotta agree with GM on this one, most of the posts on 4chan were, 'you waifu'd you lose' with a picture of Lucina. Likewise, she also tops Japanese polls, which I would attribute to the fact that she's a genderbent Marth.

However, I wouldn't say it's JUST because Lucina is a girl. Look at Micaiah, very few people like her, and over on SF everyone hates her.

Now I wonder how much of Lucina's and Chrom's popularity is attributed to the fact that they are new. I wonder how well they'd stand the test of time. I have a feeling Chrom might not do so well in the long run, however Lucina might still stand at the higher ends, mostly because FE13 was a first for many.
I was mainly just going by assumptions, but the newness factor may contribute. I think that perhaps if this poll were taken a year from now, the results could be a bit different, but eh. Just an assumption.

To be honest, my Lucina turned out horrible for some reason...then again, I didn't really plan, since it's my first FE game, so I had no idea. Oh well:/

People do not like her just because shes powerful. I rarely hear people talk about her being a great unit.

Here are some tier lists people made.
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38539
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39010

Shes good but not that far ahead of other units. And these lists don't include other child characters that are much much better than the average parent unit.
Huh. That's actually pretty interesting. And here I thought my friends new what they were talking about...pardon my ignorance.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I will do a brief analysis because I don't have the time, but I have a very extensive knowledge on FE.

Ike:
I would say Ike is probably higher than Lucina is (its dumb that there is not specific amounts). Ike being the most popular lord among Western FE fans is not a shock considering he is regarded as being the strongest lord in the entire series, and is the only lord aside from Marth to be a lord in more than one game, and to have both of them released internationally. Ike is also very likable as a character, at least in FE9.

Lucina:
I do believe she is behind Ike in popularity. I think a big reason why she is as high as she is among FE fans is because FE13 is still very fresh in their mind. Most people who played FE13 liked her as a unit and a character better than Chrom. Her strong design similarities to Marth probably help a bit as well. She is very much riding on the accolades for FE13 though, and she is definitely the strongest female lord in the entire series.

Hector:
Definitely the strongest international lord after Ike. FE7 is probably the most popular international FE (though FE13 possibly could have changed that, though we will have to wait until the long-term to see). In most polls I have seen for FE7 and FE series in general, Hector is usually ranked as the most popular of the FE7 lords. He being among the best units in FE7 and having a very brash personality which is popular among Westerners contributes to his popularity.

Lyn:
Lyn is less popular than Hector, though definitely within the Top 5 most popular lords in the West. Like Hector, she rides on the fact that FE7 is the most popular international FE. She is not considered to be as good a unit as Hector, so that is the reason why her popularity is overall less than him.

Chrom:
Chrom being as high as he is probably due the high accolades of FE13 and it overall being very fresh in people's minds. Although Chrom is considered to be a very good unit in FE13, many people who played it complained about him being "bland" or "uninteresting". His popularity will probably fall below that of Ephraim among Western FE fans in the long-run.

Ephraim:
Like Hector and Ike, lots of FE fans love Ephraim for being a great unit. The only problem is that Sacred Stones is regarded as the weakest internationally released FE aside from Shadow Dragon. If FE8 were regarded better by FE fans, he probably would be on par with Hector in terms of popularity.

Marth:
Shadow Dragon was the least liked of the international FE games, so it would follow that he would be the least liked international lord that shares the spotlight by himself. Its too bad FE3 and FE12 were not ever released internationally, else Marth would definitely be much higher than he is. Marth is a good unit in FE11 and did not have to worry about being overshadowed by other lords like Eirika, Eliwood, and Micaiah were in their games.

Roy:
FE6 is probably the most played Japan-only FE game by Western FE fans due to the fact that it is much more accessible than every other Japan-only FE due to its strong similarities to the other two GBA FE games. Roy is the highest Japan-only lord for this reason. I would say less than 10% of Western FE fans have even played a single Japan-only FE game.

Eliwood:
Eliwood is perhaps the most underrated lord in the entire series (or at least among the international ones), both as an unit and a character. He is regarded as being a better unit than Lyn, and on Hector Mode, Eliwood is even debateably better than Hector. Eliwood not standing out as much as Hector and Lyn is probably the primary reason behind him being far behind the other two FE7 lords.

Eirika:
Eirika is a case of a being overshadowed by a much stronger lord within her own game. The fact that FE8 is not as well-received as the rest of the internationally release FE games aside from Shadow Dragon. She is also just not very interesting as a lord to most people, with her being a female version of the typical rapier-using lord arche-type being her most peculiar attribute.

Micaiah:
Micaiah, like Eliwood and Eirika, has the problem of having to share her game with the monster that is Ike. It does not help that she is often regarded as the worst international lord in terms of being a unit, and is often denigrated as being a "mary sue". There is also the problem that FE10 is not as highly regarded as FE7, FE9, and FE13 are among Western FE fans.

Sigurd:
Sigurd being as low as he is is proof that very, very few Western FE fans have even played the Japan-only FE games. Sigurd is often regarded as the strongest lord in the series next to Ike, and he hails from FE4 which is often regarded by the most hardcore of the Western FE fans as the best of the Japan-only FE games. FE4 is probably the most played Japan-only FE game after FE6. Still looking at how low Sigurd is, I would probably now say that 5% or less of Western FE fans have even played the Japan-only FE games.

Leaf:
Leaf is a curious case. He is yet another Japan-only lord, but he also was a unit in more than one title in the series (he is a non-lord in FE4, and a lord in FE5). He is one of the weakest lords in the series (perhaps the single most weakest), so that partially explains why he is lower than Sigurd. However, despite being a weak lord, he is very popular among the few Western FE fans that have played FE5 due to the few having played FE5 end up really liking it (I am an example of this). Due to its intense difficulty, even less people have played FE5 compared to FE4 and FE6.

Celice:
Celice is yet another example of a lord being overshadowed by a much stronger one within his own game. He is probably the most underrated lord in the series next to Eliwood. While he does not start off as good as his father Sigurd, due to his very high growths and receiving the Tyrfing earlier, he ends up becoming a stronger unit than even Sigurd by the end of Generation 2. Celice's very effeminate appearance also probably hurts his popularity, even among the few that have played the Japan-only FE games.

Cellica:
The Famicom FEs are probably the least accessible of the Japan-only FE games due to how dated they are. However like with most FE's with more than one lord, there is one that is clearly more popular than the other. Cellica is more popular than her co-star Alm due to being regarded as a better unit and due to her being more "interesting" since she is a mage, while Alm is just another sword-wielding lord.

Alm:
FE2 is probably the least played Japan-only FE among Western FE fans. He is also overshadowed by Cellica, which explains why he is virtually non-existent to Western FE fans.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why the **** is Nintendo not going to have a press conference? WTF. That literally makes no sense at all. E3 directly informs your consumers about your products. You don't need a console to perform well at E3. Seriously disappointed right now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ah, it appears I have misread it. So basically, instead of E3, they are just going to have a bunch of Nintendo Directs?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Ah, it appears I have misread it. So basically, instead of E3, they are just going to have a bunch of Nintendo Directs?
Possibly. They're still going to be at E3, but there won't be a press conference, and instead they're going to have a bunch of smaller events for the investors/press. But they did say that they'd be doing Nintendo Directs for the Japanese market at least.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See that's what I don't understand. Why would you go to E3 but not have a press conference for the public? That is your chance to show off your product and create hype. The Wii U is NOT doing well, and even now after it being out since November, I only have 3 games. I want to see a trailer for each of the big name games. Smash Bros., the new Mario/Mario Kart etc...I want to see a nice trailer.

Granted, i'm sure we'll get information and trailers from these other events Nintendo is intent on having. I'm skeptical.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Maybe the games that will be shown off in E3 will be beyond worth it. Maybe the big games are being kept secret till E3. Then we will all are going to hype jump like a bunny so hard.
Edit: I read the news, and now I'm scared.
Wait if E3 is gonna reveal titles launching this year, then is there a possibility that Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, and Smash Bros could be coming this year?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I dunno really, Nintendo Direct is good and all, but E3 makes for more grand and epic experience and more memorable place to announce something. But now if it's just shafted for Nintendo Direct, I dunno if it makes the games' announcements any much... special.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
^ I guess, but still... I dunno, after all the wait and just imagining people's excited gasps as they watch all the goodies... Ah man, I guess it's going to be dearly missed.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
No E3 Trailer.

But Nintendo Direct Trailer.

I hope.

One thing is sure though, if there's one for Smash, EXPECT A LOTS OF INFO from Iwata and maybe Sakurai telling about the game. I guess it'd be quite a feast to stomach down, but I'm sure we're all going to enjoy it after all these years.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyway, Ike is still hugely popular today. Everyone seems to speak well of him.

Except Low Tier trash as Micaiah. :rolleyes:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I guess he knew well to give a bad FE-game to a new protagonist that would be Micaiah, and then pretty much steal the spotlight as it's saving grace. :troll:

Why am I trashtalking about a character I don't know clearly about

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am saddened. Especially after Sakurai promised a trailer at E3. He did. Didn't he?

To stay on topic.

A couple questions about an Animal Crossing character.

1. Do you think we'll get one? If so, who?
2. Why do you think Sakurai thought an smash was too violent for an animal crossing character?.
3. Do you think Sakurai could change his mind?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai: Wanted a trailer? **** you all! [laughs]

Iwata:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Swampa: I'm sure we'll see a trailer still, it's just that the showcase changes the place and tries now to stay more direct to fans this time. HylianHero hits a bullseye about why it'd be a good thing.

Also aside from people debating on Lloyd's chances, it's still wierd that he keeps still being mocked and loathed on GameFAQs because he's not Pac-Man. Or he's a generic anime hero. Or whatever. I mean, I'm not caring whether Pac gets in (because he doesn't interest me as a fighter, I'd love to see or hear how he could be though). Ah well, it's GameFAQs. But Lloyd doesn't deserve loathing for no apparent or subjective reasons.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I am saddened. Especially after Sakurai promised a trailer at E3. He did. Didn't he?

To stay on topic.

2. Why do you think Sakurai thought an AC character was too violent last time.
1). Personally I don't believe we will get a playable Animal Crossing character because I feel like it has greater potential to hurt the reputation of Animal Crossing as a series.
2). An Animal Crossing character being too violent for Smash? I believe it's the other way around in that a fighting game like Smash is too violent to include Animal Crossing as a playable character. I believe this has to do with damaging the integrity and expectations of Animal Crossing as a series. And correct me if I'm wrong but Mr. Resetti didn't even deal damage whatsoever.
3). The chance is always there.

@Young Horsetail:
While I'm not banking on Lloyd getting in nor would I cry fanboy tears if he were to be rejected, I would absolutely love to see the reactions of all these naysayers if he does get in.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
hmmm actually upon thinking about it more it maybe a smarter move Ninty gets critics and analysist negativly soo much E3 is media covered all over maybe them splitting there announcements up into small nintendo directs would be less stressful and more comfortable for them also it could give em more time to give us more info/gameplay in these juicy directs ! them being more gameplay focused then pointless gimmicky ****e...

also it is said there gonna be doing a few directs ''Around'' E3 time so i guess theres a realistic chance we will get a N-Direct before E3! maybe in may and like 2 or 3 shortly after E3 between june-August.

damn gonna miss the live crowd reaction to Sm4shes E3 Reveal.. there truly is nothing like it...looks like most probly its not gonna happen...E3 is going down the drain..it has for years its not exciting anymore too much bull* analysis talk that gamers dont care about only devs and patcher trolls...also full of Bull* media gimmicy ****...less devs showcase at E3 too peepz dont take E3 serious no more...its a joke...i couldsee it dying all together in a year or 2...

Reguardless imo Sony & MS are gonna dominate this years E3 mediaishly lol.

Also what about Retro Studios project?

just hope that the Smash reveal aint one of the later N-Directs...ugh we have already waited sooo long...this up hill battle feel like the endless stairs of super mario 64 ..we all running to get to the news but never getting no where...

Smash...were are you...we need you...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kikaru: Pretty much myself. I kinda think it would just build some bad karma on them if they keep loathing and hating him with no reason all the time.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@Kikaru

Whoops. That has got to be the mother of all typos.

I fixed it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Animal Crossing
1) No, I don't think we will get an AC character this time.
2) No idea. Maybe the games were a bit too cheerful for Brawl's serious tone.
3)I suppose there is a possibility.

D

Deleted member

To stay on topic.

2. Why do you think Sakurai thought an smash was too violent for an animal crossing character?.
1. No. Sakurai already rejected him and there isn't any reason to believe otherwise that we'll get one.
2. Because of the peaceful nature of the Animal Crossing franchise. But honestly, I see that as a dumb reason since anyone can be made into a fighter with enough creativity (and he was having some ideas to make the Animal Crosser a fighter).
3. He could, but I don't think he will.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
There's a lot of newcomers I support, but deep down inside I am staying neutral towards them and I wouldn't really be affected if they are included or not. I'd rather play them hands-on first, or at least view gameplay before making judgements whether I'm fond of a newcomer or not (yes, for the newcomers I am putting character aside for gameplay. However, Roy's a bit of both for me). Aside from Roy (and Mewtwo), I'm not that passionate towards anyone else. Perhaps things would be different if they were included in Brawl. If I were to make a list of newcomers that I'd want (not expecting) it would look something like this:

- Roy
- Mewtwo
- Zoroark
- Kamek
- Saki/Isa (I'd prefer Isa though)
- 3rd party: Amaterasu or Dig Dug

You can already see the problem. I'm passionate towards Roy and Mewtwo, but the rest seems unlikely to me, or I'm not expecting them. Though I do support them deep down inside...it's just that I don't have much confidence in them appearing...uh, I don't know how to explain what I'm feeling towards them lol.

@Animal Crossing stuff
1. Nope. But perhaps AC will be represented through other things (like in Brawl). Stages, items, trophies, music (I'd love more music btw), etc.
2. Not sure...but I agree that it could be because of the peaceful nature. Not that related, but Nintendo seems a little paranoid about including Miis in party-like games, so I'm really not surprised if Nintendo has concerns with representing other series (in this case, Smash being too violent for an AC rep. Though I disagree a little bit).
3. Perhaps...But I'm not expecting it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well the thing about Lloyd is that from a game play prospective he does have the tools needed to function efficently, but at the same time the character himself is fairly meh.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can tell that the "Leave luck to heaven" train is on its way since there's a good 1 1/4 weeks until a Sm4sh reveal.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel dirty even saying this, but I don't think I would be surprised if Sakurai changed his mind on Animal Crossing. Don't really expect him to, but had Sakurai not said what he did, I think everyone would agree an Animal Crossing character (even if you're ridiculous and think that means Tom Nook), would be a great addition that really deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom