• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I thought Takamaru was the ultimate band wagon character
Not so much since the average Nintendo fan never heard of Captain Rainbow, Nintendo/Koei barely advertised Samurai Warriors 3 on the Wii, and that Nazo no Murasame-jo 3D Classics is currently in development hell. So no, he isn't the ultimate bandwagon character.

D

Deleted member

It more likely has something to do with the random box as
1)The characters have their names spelled for the files
2)Other tag teams have file for both the characters. Popo and Nana both have a file. Dixie has a file for being with Diddy. This one has just one file.
It is likely data for the random box as the "Did You Know" mentioned.
While it is unlikely to be Plusle and Minun due to Romanization inconsistency (and because the filename for their trophy does not match the filename for "pra_mai"), the Random Box theory is a load of crap.
For one, the file is in character effects. Why in the Hell would the RANDOM BOX for a CSS be there?

Two, "player" is "Purēyā". There is no way that can be shortened to "pra" and still make a lick of sense.

Three, why would the file for the Random Box be in Romanized Japanese to begin with? This is something I don't understand how people with the "Random Box" mindset can possibly overlook.
If it WERE the random selection, it would be CALLED "random". If it really were Romanized Japanese, it would be called "omakase" like the kanji on Japanese Brawl's Random Box. Definitely not "pra_mai".

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Not so much since the average Nintendo fan never heard of Captain Rainbow, Nintendo/Koei barely advertised Samurai Warriors 3 on the Wii, and that Nazo no Murasame-jo 3D Classics is currently in development hell. So no, he isn't the ultimate bandwagon character.
I think that's why he's calling him bandwagon. But I disagree with him regardless because I think the fact that he's seen as much promotion as he has over other retro characters shows that he deserving. Most retros suggested on here have been heard of less than him.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog
Why that character receives any support baffles me. Sakurai is never going to look at a normal dog with a comical side and say "Hey! this guy has true fighting potential, lets add him to smash".
He'll be lucky to be an assist trophy...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why that character receives any support baffles me. Sakurai is never going to look at a normal dog with a comical side and say "Hey! this guy has true fighting potential, lets add him to smash".
He'll be lucky to be an assist trophy...
That's like saying Bugs Bunny couldn't work.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, he couldn't work. Bugs Bunny is not a video game character, meaning he's disqualified by default.

Anyway, while I was bored and aimlessly browsed on varies sites, I found this series of articles on Nintendo World Report related to new characters in Super Smash Bros. called Super Smash Bros. Dreams.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/33602

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
But see, Bugs has solo much random crap to use. DHD has ducks and a toy gun. Even Toad Waluigi seems more interesting.

And back under the table I go.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog vs. Meta Knight
I didn't mean that you couldn't re-invent a moveset for him. Hell, I bet I could invent a moveset for a mechanical pencil with legs. One trait that every current fighter has is that they are fighters. That dog picks up ducks and laughs.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I can support DHD for SSB5. :p

Jokes aside, I would like to see him as an assist trophy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I didn't mean that you couldn't re-invent a moveset for him. Hell, I bet I could invent a moveset for a mechanical pencil with legs. One trait that every current fighter has is that they are fighters. That dog picks up ducks and laughs.
Sakurai invented a moveset for R.O.B. when all it did was pick up gyros and blocks.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
ROB is important to Nintendo's history. DHD isn't.
Ice Climbers aren't important to Nintendo's history either.

And Smash has always been advertised as "play as your favorite Nintendo characters", not "play as important Nintendo characters". :rolleyes:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Okay wait, maybe that was a bad argument seeing as Rob and Mr. Game&Watch are not really fighters. But those two are unique characters. Mr.Game&Watch has a clunky and simple design with a sort of comical oblivious nature that is unlike any other. On top of that he has a HUGE pool of attacks he could pull from. ROB is a robot. Robots have a very board range of potential designs destroying the notion of a generic robot. Rob is unique and has some odd applications that's more power to the person designing a moveset and it adds a lot more character.

I would not call the duck hunt dog unique. He just looks like a normal dog who desperately needs the designer to invent moves for him rather than taking what he already has.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could legitimately want Duck Hunt Dog. But I'd first support Mach Rider and Takamaru as retro addtions. However, I see nothing wrong with adding many retros.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
DHD is one of the few characters I just can't stand the thought of. IDK what it is about him, there's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way.

Ice Climbers aren't important to Nintendo's history either.
But the ICs offered a unique gameplay mechanic/gimmick, and I don't see anything like that coming out of DHD.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay wait, maybe that was a bad argument seeing as Rob and Mr. Game&Watch are not really fighters. But those two are unique characters. Mr.Game&Watch has a clunky and simple design with a sort of comical oblivious nature that is unlike any other. On top of that he has a HUGE pool of attacks he could pull from. ROB is a robot. Robots have a very board range of potential designs destroying the notion of a generic robot. Rob is unique and has some odd applications that's more power to the person designing a moveset and it adds a lot more character.

I would not call the duck hunt dog unique. He just looks like a normal dog who desperately needs the designer to invent moves for him rather than taking what he already has.
If Duck Hunt Dog is able to walk/run on two legs, he is not a normal dog. He is a cartoon dog.

If Duck Hunt is able to pick up ducks with his paws, he is not a normal dog. He is a cartoon dog that happens to have opposable thumbs.

If Duck Hunt Dog is able to survive getting shot in the face, he is not a normal dog. He is a cartoon dog who can survive exposions just like every other toons in many cartoons of the 1930s and 1940s.

If Duck Hunt Dog laughs at you when you are pointing a gun in his face, he is not a normal dog. He is a psychopathic cartoon dog.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You want psychopathic? Look up Kirby, that guy will **** your house and burn your children if you even dare mess with his food.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I see Duck Hunt Dog as someone who is almost as crazy as the Joker. They laugh at the face of danger and death.

But the ICs offered a unique gameplay mechanic/gimmick, and I don't see anything like that coming out of DHD.
You said yourself that you cannot stand the thought of Duck Hunt Dog in Smash. Of course you don't see anything like that coming out of Duck Hunt Dog.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I see Duck Hunt Dog as someone who is almost as crazy as the Joker. They laugh at the face of danger and death.
Really? I see him as a dog that laughs at you when you miss a duck. I think you need to re-examine what DHD actually does in Duck Hunt.

You said yourself that you cannot stand the thought of Duck Hunt Dog in Smash. Of course you don't see anything like that coming out of Duck Hunt Dog.
Perhaps you're right. But if he does have some unique potential gimmick about him that I'm just not seeing, perhaps you'd like to share that with me?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
What game was I playing? All I remember is a dog laughing at an annoyed me for a second then leaving.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If Duck Hunt Dog is able to walk/run on two legs, he is not a normal dog. He is a cartoon dog.

If Duck Hunt is able to pick up ducks with his paws, he is not a normal dog. He is a cartoon dog that happens to have opposable thumbs.

If Duck Hunt Dog is able to survive getting shot in the face, he is not a normal dog. He is a cartoon dog who can survive exposions just like every other toons in many cartoons of the 1930s and 1940s.

If Duck Hunt Dog laughs at you when you are pointing a gun in his face, he is not a normal dog. He is a psychopathic cartoon dog.
A personified dog is about as original of an idea as a piano song called "Time" (seriously there's like a thousand of these). And none of those attributes of the duckhunt dog set them apart from other dogs. Whats so special about the duckhunt dog that nintendo really needs to show him off? Because he originates from a good game? If that's the case then a nod to the game with a song, trophy, stage or assist trophy satisfies this need just as well. There's no sense in taking up a roster slot when there are so many other unique and powerful characters competing for it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Really? I see him as a dog that laughs at you when you miss a duck. I think you need to re-examine what DHD actually does in Duck Hunt.

Perhaps you're right. But if he does have some unique potential gimmick about him that I'm just not seeing, perhaps you'd like to share that with me?
My idea for Duck Hunt Dog is that his specials are parodying Duck Hunt's gameplay and breaking the fourth wall (going meta, if you may) while his normals are fighting like a dog and using ducks as weapons. I came up with a moveset in 2009 but I made illustrations last summer. Here they are.

Neutral B - based on the NES controller plugged into the second player port to control the ducks and the "1 Duck" mode

Watch this video to see ducks being controlled by the NES controller.

Side B - based on the "Clay Shooting" mode

Watch this video to see Clay Shooting in action.

Up B - based on the phrase "Fly Away" where ducks escape death by gunshots - kinda fitting as recovery moves are for escaping death (falling off the stage)

Down B - based on how a frustrated Duck Hunt player wishes to shoot the dog for laughing at him

Final Smash - based on the bonus round in Vs. Duck Hunt

Watch this video to get an idea of what his Down B and Final Smash look like...

My idea was for Duck Hunt Dog to be something like a zoning fighter with explosive projectiles (ducks, clay pigeons) and some long-range bludgeoning weapons (ducks).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The point I am making here is to show that with creative liberties from the source material, even Duck Hunt Dog could have a functional moveset in Smash.

So, when's the part where I start giving a crap about this ******** subject?
When Duck Hunt Dog is confirmed as a playable character. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The point I am making here is to show that with creative liberties from the source material, even Duck Hunt Dog could have a functional moveset in Smash.
Nobody doubted that was possible. We doubted whether or not it could be unique, interesting, or if DHD was deserving of a moveset himself.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Unique, interesting, and deserving are all subjective. Can you honestly admit to yourself that there are some characters who are already in Smash that you feel are not unique, interesting, or deserving?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Can you honestly admit to yourself that there are some characters who are already in Smash that you feel are not unique, interesting, or deserving?
Nope. All characters currently in Smash are unique, deserving, or interesting in some way or another. I don't necessarily like all of them, but I certainly see that there's a reason all of them got in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nope. All characters currently in Smash are unique, deserving, or interesting in some way or another. I don't necessarily like all of them, but I certainly see that there's a reason all of tehm got in.
Oh, I am sure you would say the same thing if Toon Sheik got in Brawl. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom