• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I think he's definitely remembered, but I think the afformentioned four, particularly Pika, Zard and Mewtwo are the household names. Everybody will remember the Mewtwo movie from their childhood, Pikachu is the face of Pokemon and Charizard is I believe still the most popular in the world.
It's telling that Pikachu, Charizard, Meowth, and Mewtwo, will all be in movie 16.

D

Deleted member

I could argue that Victini is the mascot of Gen V due to it's "V" motif.
I remember assuming that Victini was one of the potential mascots of Gen 5 and boy did I push hard for it's inclusion (until I gave up abruptly on February, 2012, knowing that a Mew-like Pokémon was just not going to happen. Long story short, I embarrassed myself and when I came back in late April, had learned a few things about myself).

I just realize that I'm about to turn nineteen in five days (April 20th). To think that I just got out of that sucky 11th grade year only to sink myself into a showroom full of drama. And honestly, I thank myself for it.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I remember assuming that Victini was one of the potential mascots of Gen 5 and boy did I push hard for it's inclusion (until I gave up abruptly on February, 2012, knowing that a Mew-like Pokémon was just not going to happen. Long story short, I embarrassed myself and when I came back in late April, had learned a few things about myself).
I know how that feels. In 2007 I embarrassed myself supporting Waluigi, and had a..... Very colorful reaction to his detractors. I Only lurked until earlier this month.

Happy birthday I just turned 20 last month.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I know this is going to sound "stereotypical" or whatever, but I'm not surprised you like Pit considering how similar Pit and Roy are in appearance. I'm not ****ting ether, it's like some sort of conspiracy theory or something.
Well, if you want me to be honest...I didn't really like Pit up until now. At the beginning, I always thought Pit was kinda weird...I guess it was the name that made me stay away from him or something. But I've played Of Myths and Monsters a long time ago, and I did like Pit in that game surprisingly. Recently (though before Uprising), I decided to pick up Pit, for what reason idk (I think I saw some inspiring videos). And I really do like his gameplay, especially all the neat tricks/mindgames like arrow looping, wingdashing, gliding...I feel like there's always room to improve on Pit, never hitting a skill ceiling.

Anyway, I kinda envy Lucario. I always thought that Zoroark is cooler, just the whole entire concept and whatnot. However, I don't want to see Lucario cut in the end. So, if Zoroark were to ever be included, I hope that she will live in harmony with Lucario, Mewtwo, and the rest of the Pokemon from Brawl. Btw, when I first saw Zoroark, I immediately thought of this guy...I'm probably the only one...
[collapse=Kabuki]
[/collapse]

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yes, I'm not too fond of Pit's voice as well. But I really do love how he plays so I had to make a sacrifice: my ears.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I have only ever supported the Strongest of characters, so I have never experienced this feeling of regret you fellows speak of.

Mostly I just wanted to have a post on page 720 though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I had to pick a face for Gen 3, I'd say it would be Blaziken.

He was promoted quite a bit.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, if you want me to be honest...I didn't really like Pit up until now. At the beginning, I always thought Pit was kinda weird...I guess it was the name that made me stay away from him or something.
Hey not a problem. Though "Pit" does sound weird, it makes more sense when you realize it's a bit of a shortening off the word "Cupid". This is more apparent in the Japanese version, where he's refereed to as ピット Pitto and is basically a shortening of キューピット Kyūpitto, which is even pointed out by Viridi in the Japanese version of Kid Icarus: Uprising. Pit's name is also reminiscent of the name "putto", which refers to a chubby male child occasionally depicted with wings that bears resemblances to the similar angel and cherub.

But I've played Of Myths and Monsters a long time ago, and I did like Pit in that game surprisingly. Recently (though before Uprising), I decided to pick up Pit, for what reason idk (I think I saw some inspiring videos). And I really do like his gameplay, especially all the neat tricks/mindgames like arrow looping, wingdashing, gliding...I feel like there's always room to improve on Pit, never hitting a skill ceiling.
Well, I do like how Pit plays. Lot's of experience with the character actually. I will say that Pit does have a lot of utility from his moves and has a good compromise between power, speed, and defense. The problem though is that the mechanics in Brawl doesn't agree with him, in other words the stale-move negation sucks. Pit would be better if his moves didn't suffer from getting stale and killing off the KO potential.

Still, nice to see someone try out something new.

Anyway, I kinda envy Lucario. I always thought that Zoroark is cooler, just the whole entire concept and whatnot. However, I don't want to see Lucario cut in the end. So, if Zoroark were to ever be included, I hope that she will live in harmony with Lucario, Mewtwo, and the rest of the Pokemon from Brawl.
I feel the same way to be honest. Of course people won't agree with that because people love to scream rehash when ever something looks vaguely similar.

Yes, I'm not too fond of Pit's voice as well. But I really do love how he plays so I had to make a sacrifice: my ears.
Blame the fact that Pit is basically a young teenager voice by an adult women named Lani Minella. Aka the person that provided voice work for Rouge the Bat. In Kid Icarus: Uprising, this is not much of a problem considering he's voiced by Antony Del Rio instead in the English versions, who despite his age can make a surprisingly convincing youthful voice.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey not a problem. Though "Pit" does sound weird, it makes more sense when you realize it's a bit of a shortening off the word "Cupid". This is more apparent in the Japanese version, where he's refereed to as ピット Pitto and is basically a shortening of キューピット Kyūpitto, which is even pointed out by Viridi in the Japanese version of Kid Icarus: Uprising. Pit's name is also reminiscent of the name "putto", which refers to a chubby male child occasionally depicted with wings that bears resemblances to the similar angel and cherub.

I feel the same way to be honest. Of course people won't agree with that because people love to scream rehash when ever something looks vaguely similar.

I honestly love the idea of Zoroark, and fully agree with having all three of them. They can all bring something new to the table, and rep their gens, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. This comes down to a "Why not?" in my book. Although I've tried for the life of me to figure out how to make Illusion feel unique.

I also had no idea about the bit about Pit...definitely interesting.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'd prefer Lucario to stay and have Genesect as a complete different character to rep Gen V, instead of having Zoroark as a spiritual successor to Lucario. Other than looking incredibly cool I'd like him to be a projectile-based pokémon, similar to Samus.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Indeed, he'd have the perfect palate swap. (Shiny red)

Blame the fact that Pit is basically a young teenager voice by an adult women named Lani Minella. Aka the person that provided voice work for Rouge the Bat. In Kid Icarus: Uprising, this is not much of a problem considering he's voiced by Antony Del Rio instead in the English versions, who despite his age can make a surprisingly convincing youthful voice.
Say what you will about 4kids voice acting , but they were way better then the pre 4kids stuff.

Since64

Smash Cadet
Okay, So I thought of a MegaMan Moveset. Tell me how you like it.

B= MegaBuster: You can guess that one.
Up+B= Power1: MegaMan shoots a platform under him that carries him upwards
Down+B= Crash Bomb: MegaMan throws a heavy explosive at the opponent.
Forward+B= Cutterang: Throws one of CutMan's blades at the opponent.
Final Smash= Download: With a cry of "I have your power now!" MegaMan grabs and stuns an opponent, then gains that opponents Final Smash.

Thoughts?

Seriously, am I the only person that thinks Genesect is one of the dumbest looking Pokemon in the entire series?
No.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seriously, am I the only person that thinks Genesect is one of the dumbest looking Pokemon in the entire series?
I don't really think he's that awesome-looking. (Especially considering how many really cool Pokemon Gen 5 has. To name a few: Volcarona, Haxorus/Hydreigon, Samurott, Galvantula, Elektross, Zebstrika.)

Genesect honestly didn't wow me, although I still put him on my wishlist roster. He's got a certain...something. Not sure what.)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Genesect is cool, but the though of having him in smash leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Since64

Smash Cadet
So Banjodorf, I've looked at your dream roster tag and here are my thoughts.

King K. Rool: Probaby, I certainly hope so.
Takamaru: I have no idea who this is.
Ridey: Ugh. I've made my thoughts clear before.
Little Mac: Maybe. I certainly wouldn't mind.
Dixie Kong: PLEASE GOD she has been WAY under appreciated since the 90's. I haven't even seen her PLAYABLE since DKC3!
Palutena: Gonna give that one 50-50 odds. She's pretty popular now, but for the life of me I can't optimize her in my head....
Isaac: Either him or the dude who looks EXACTLY LIKE him in the DS one, yeah.
Mewtwo: Looking better and better at this point isn't it? I hope so, I HATE Lucario with a passion, And he's been my favorite pokemon since I was FIVE.
Roy: I have no opinion. He was sort of boring to play as in Melee.
Banjo-Kazooie: While it would be cool.... Not likely. Nintendo and rare had a major falling out. But if rare chars are gonna show up, I wanna see Joanna dark before them
Ghirahim: I think so. He may replace ganondorf

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

King K. Rool: Probaby, I certainly hope so.
Takamaru: I have no idea who this is.
Ridey: Ugh. I've made my thoughts clear before.
Little Mac: Maybe. I certainly wouldn't mind.
Dixie Kong: PLEASE GOD she has been WAY under appreciated since the 90's. I haven't even seen her PLAYABLE since DKC3!
Palutena: Gonna give that one 50-50 odds. She's pretty popular now, but for the life of me I can't optimize her in my head....
Isaac: Either him or the dude who looks EXACTLY LIKE him in the DS one, yeah.
Mewtwo: Looking better and better at this point isn't it? I hope so, I HATE Lucario with a passion, And he's been my favorite pokemon since I was FIVE.
Roy: I have no opinion. He was sort of boring to play as in Melee.
Banjo-Kazooie: While it would be cool.... Not likely. Nintendo and rare had a major falling out. But if rare chars are gonna show up, I wanna see Joanna dark before them
Ghirahim replacing Ganondorf?

What you smoking brah? Gimme some! :troll:

And if you think Ridley is too big I swear... (If you just don't like him, that's fine, but HE IS NOT TOO BIG)

bobadz

Smash Ace
I swear people need to read interviews. At no point anywhere does sakurai say "Ridley would be too big." He only said he never considered him, and Ridley would be "Slow".

Since64

Smash Cadet
Ghirahim replacing Ganondorf?

What you smoking brah? Gimme some! :troll:

And if you think Ridley is too big I swear... (If you just don't like him, that's fine, but HE IS NOT TOO BIG)
A: Yes. At least in the WiiU Version.

B: You played the boss fight in Subspace Emissary right? You saw that he was as big as the freakin' stage? In a tournament fighter based ENTIRELY on ring-outs he would be a TERRIBLE addition. To play AS because all of a sudden your playing as a freaking MOUNTAIN. Also to play AGAINST because the com knows how to, you know, OPERATE THE MOUNTAIN.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You know Ridley can be re-sized right? Majority of the whole roster between Smash 64-Brawl has been re-sized.

I think I'm the only one on smashboards that doesn't expect K. Rool and Mega Man to be playable in Smash 4...

bobadz

Smash Ace
A: Yes. At least in the WiiU Version.

B: You played the boss fight in Subspace Emissary right? You saw that he was as big as the freakin' stage? In a tournament fighter based ENTIRELY on ring-outs he would be a TERRIBLE addition. To play AS because all of a sudden your playing as a freaking MOUNTAIN. Also to play AGAINST because the com knows how to, you know, OPERATE THE MOUNTAIN.
A: Ganondorf is too iconic to get replaced.

B: He's only slightly taller then Samus.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

King K. Rool: Probaby, I certainly hope so. Good!
Takamaru: I have no idea who this is. Be enlightened!
Ridey: Ugh. I've made my thoughts clear before. Everybody's got opinions, but majority rules.
Little Mac: Maybe. I certainly wouldn't mind. Good!
Dixie Kong: PLEASE GOD she has been WAY under appreciated since the 90's. I haven't even seen her PLAYABLE since DKC3! As long as K. Rool gets in first, she'd better get in.
Palutena: Gonna give that one 50-50 odds. She's pretty popular now, but for the life of me I can't optimize her in my head.... Sakurai gave her new life.
Isaac: Either him or the dude who looks EXACTLY LIKE him in the DS one, yeah. You and DragonSniperNintendo would be best friends. I've said before that they'll never put in the "recent character" before they put in the original face.
Mewtwo: Looking better and better at this point isn't it? I hope so, I HATE Lucario with a passion, And he's been my favorite pokemon since I was FIVE. Good news! (except the Lucario bit. I don't want him to go anywhere.) Mewtwo's top in Japan, and nearly top here!
Roy: I have no opinion. He was sort of boring to play as in Melee. Popularity. He's 2nd in Japan, and high here.
No. Although I sort of get the feeling you didn't play Skyward Sword, so whatevs man. He's going to be a 5th rep or not there.

My thoughts are in the quote...mostly.

Except for one thing...
Get. Out. Now.

I'm sure we'd all love to see someone from Perfect Dark...before the face of Rare's Golden Age... Absolutely not! And here I thought we were going to be the best of friends! :( As a side note. I don't expect them, man! They're my favorite dudes ever, but Microsoft is pure evil, and has trapped them eternally in their dungeon of low-revenue and soulless marketing. I prefer to remember them as they were. I have them there because I <3 them so much. Yo.

Since64

Smash Cadet
A: Ganondorf is too iconic to get replaced.

B: He's only slightly taller then Samus.
A: The WiiU version is going to feature more contemporary chars, While the 3DS version will have more retro ones.

B: WERE WE PLAYING THE SAME GAME? In every metroid game I've played Ridley has been at LEAST twice as tall as Samus! Ok, to be fair maybe he's shorter in Other M, I haven't gotten there yet.

Oh god.... Other M..... I need aspirin......

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
A: The WiiU version is going to feature more contemporary chars, While the 3DS version will have more retro ones.

B: WERE WE PLAYING THE SAME GAME? In every metroid game I've played Ridley has been at LEAST twice as tall as Samus! Ok, to be fair maybe he's shorter in Other M, I haven't gotten there yet.

You must be new. The size argument doesn't hold water anymore, because any character can be resized. I'd also like to point out that in the Melee trailer, Ridley is exactly the same size as Samus, give or take an inch.

Also, that first bit is nothing but rumor, please don't spread that around here, mate!

bobadz

Smash Ace

A: Do you have a source for this?
B: Only in some games. Smash isn't one of them.

Also at what point was Ridley ever the size of a mountiain?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think I'm the only one on smashboards that doesn't expect K. Rool and Mega Man to be playable in Smash 4...
I'm really curious to know why, particularly in K. Rool's case, given that all the arguments have been debunked in sensical fashions. However, I don't want to start that in this thread, so PM me if you don't mind.

Since64

Smash Cadet
A: Do you have a source for this?
B: Only in some games. Smash isn't one of them.

Also at what point was Ridley ever the size of a mountiain?
A: Tried to find one. It is gone. It was probably just a rumor, I apologize.
B: It was Hyperbole. I do that sometimes.

Since64

Smash Cadet
You know Ridley can be re-sized right? Majority of the whole roster between Smash 64-Brawl has been re-sized.

If they re sized him, I wouldn't mind.

Also, On your second subject. I'm not honestly expecting MegaMan, Capcom has been really WEIRD about him. First he isn't in MvC three. Then his Bad Box Art form in Street Fighter x Tekken. and the lat 2 of his games have been 8-bit

I see.

No problem. What site was it?
A really low budget wiki set up for smash 4. I'm an idiot.

D

Deleted member

Funny, I'm watching the boss fight now. He may be big, but saying he's as big as the stage you fight him on is a horrible exaggeration. (Funny enough, when you hack to play as permanent Giga Bowser on Boss Battles, he's bigger than Ridley.)
Aside from that, Ridley can be made smaller if Bowser can. Bowser always towers over Mario, sometimes even to sizes that would make Ridley crap himself even if he was at his largest (which is, ironically, Brawl, and even then, his appearance in the cutscene before the boss fight is LARGER than the appearance in the boss fight itself).
And since we have the freaking tiny Olimar, who is merely the size of a quarter, suddenly a bit shorter than Mario, size is not an issue, as it can be changed.

And don't even get me started on every single size discrepancy within Brawl's characters. Let's just say, if everyone was their "canon" sizes, things would be a lot different.

Since64

Smash Cadet
Funny, I'm watching the boss fight now. He may be big, but saying he's as big as the stage you fight him on is a horrible exaggeration. (Funny enough, when you hack to play as permanent Giga Bowser on Boss Battles, he's bigger than Ridley.)
Aside from that, Ridley can be made smaller if Bowser can. Bowser always towers over Mario, sometimes even to sizes that would make Ridley crap himself even if he was at his largest (which is, ironically, Brawl, and even then, his appearance in the cutscene before the boss fight is LARGER than the appearance in the boss fight itself).
And since we have the freaking tiny Olimar, who is merely the size of a quarter, suddenly a bit shorter than Mario, size is not an issue, as it can be changed.

And don't even get me started on every single size discrepancy within Brawl's characters. Let's just say, if everyone was their "canon" sizes, things would be a lot different.
I didn't know that Olimar was supposed to be super-tiny, I thought everything on the planet he was on was Super-huge! I would really pick up Pikmin 1&2 if I could, I've never played them before.

I'd pick them up if GCN games didn't cost a KIDNEY.

In fact, does anyone know where I can pick up GCN games for under 80 bucks?

bobadz

Smash Ace
I didn't know that Olimar was supposed to be super-tiny, I thought everything on the planet he was on was Super-huge! I would really pick up Pikmin 1&2 if I could, I've never played them before.

I'd pick them up if GCN games didn't cost a KIDNEY.

In fact, does anyone know where I can pick up GCN games for under 80 bucks?
Amazon?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Pfft. Do me a favor Price melee on amazon RIGHT NOW, I'll wait...
I dunno man, I bought my replacement "Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition" on Amazon for 48 bucks. That's a hard to find item too, and it wasn't the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom