• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm most confident about Mewtwo returning.
As for a true newcomer, I'm most confident about Shulk.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Kid Icarus smickerus. Palutena is butt.

I want Medusa. Because SNAAAAAAAAAKKKEEEEESSSS.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hmm I would love to see Palutena or Medusa. Either one is fine with me.
Thanitos should definitely be a boss.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
More Kid Icarus in general would be nice.
Palutena is like, the only NPC who wasnt an enemy/boss to show up in SSE. Sakurai's got a definite eye on her.

Most confident about Palutena. Mewtwo, Shulk, and Little Mac I have confidence in as well. And I'm certain we will get a third DK and FE character, just not sure who. Less confident in Ridley than all these characters though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm not confident in anyone. I may want stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be confident. The last thing I need is to be too cocky and then get disappointed.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't know enough about Kid Icarus to know whether or not to be confident in any reps.
I'm semi-confident in Ridley's inclusion, but he's not very popular in Japan.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't know how popular a playable Ridley is to Sakurai. My biggest concern for the poor dragon.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't know how popular a playable Ridley is to Sakurai. My biggest concern for the poor dragon.
I feel ya. I feel the same way, but then I think, "Metroid is very unrepresented, and no one is more derving than Ridley."

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't know enough about Kid Icarus to know whether or not to be confident in any reps.
I'm semi-confident in Ridley's inclusion, but he's not very popular in Japan.
If you have a 3DS, play Kid Icarus: Uprising. You won't regret it.

As a Ridley supporter, I share the same concern.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well expecting certain things surely sets up some sort of disappointment, but from what we know, some characters are certainly more likely than others.

I think if Ridley doesn't get in, it will be another Mewtwo situation. From what we know or have speculated about, it seems that K.Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo, at least one FE rep, Shulk and a few others are "expected". I personally agree with this

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
No character is more likely. Everything is on pretty even footing until said otherwise, no exceptions.
Spongebob. :troll:

But seriously, I think characters like Mewtwo and Shulk have quite a bit more chance than Dark Pit and Kamek.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I thought about this for awhile, and I really think the overall idea of Smash Bros has kinda been lost among a lot of people. The idea of Smash Bros is an All-Star fighting game, meaning their best of the best characters duking it out.

Ok, sure, we're getting close to the bottom of the barrel of characters to choose from, but think about some of the characters that people suggest (i'm not going to name any particular ones so I don't start a flame war). Are some of them really "all-star" characters? Would it make sense for them to be on a roster with the likes of Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, or even Fox?

Let's take a few examples:

Ridley- Clearly an All-star. Well known Metroid villain, fairly popular to the Smash community in at least the US. There is no other character from Metroid more deserving of a spot.

K.Rool- Villain of the Donkey Kong series, well known at that. Arguably competing with Dixie Kong, but he's definitely more popular.

Palutena- Well liked character in newest installment to Kid Icarus. Very important to the plot, a main character to the series.

Mewtwo- Icon of the entire Pokemon franchise. Already in Melee, and is still a very popular choice, arguable most popular for Smash 4.

Shulk- Kind of different compared to the others, but a popular character nonetheless. While he only has one game in his series, and may or may not appear again, Shulk is well liked and could prove as an interesting character. Could Shulk be considered a Nintendo All-Star?

All I mean is, that fans will get their hopes up if they want an incredibly obscure character or idea. Again, i'm not going to name certain characters, but there are plenty of characters that most likely will not make it just based off of the competition ahead of them.

End of wall o' text.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I thought about this for awhile, and I really think the overall idea of Smash Bros has kinda been lost among a lot of people. The idea of Smash Bros is an All-Star fighting game, meaning their best of the best characters duking it out.

Ok, sure, we're getting close to the bottom of the barrel of characters to choose from, but think about some of the characters that people suggest (i'm not going to name any particular ones so I don't start a flame war). Are some of them really "all-star" characters? Would it make sense for them to be on a roster with the likes of Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, or even Fox?

Let's take a few examples:

Ridley- Clearly an All-star. Well known Metroid villain, fairly popular to the Smash community in at least the US. There is no other character from Metroid more deserving of a spot.

K.Rool- Villain of the Donkey Kong series, well known at that. Arguably competing with Dixie Kong, but he's definitely more popular.

Palutena- Well liked character in newest installment to Kid Icarus. Very important to the plot, a main character to the series.

Mewtwo- Icon of the entire Pokemon franchise. Already in Melee, and is still a very popular choice, arguable most popular for Smash 4.

Shulk- Kind of different compared to the others, but a popular character nonetheless. While he only has one game in his series, and may or may not appear again, Shulk is well liked and could prove as an interesting character. Could Shulk be considered a Nintendo All-Star?

All I mean is, that fans will get their hopes up if they want an incredibly obscure character or idea. Again, i'm not going to name certain characters, but there are plenty of characters that most likely will not make it just based off of the competition ahead of them.

End of wall o' text.
Finally hearing some sense. :p You'd be surprised how many people simply cannot comprehend this concept.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No character is more likely. Everything is on pretty even footing until said otherwise, no exceptions.
Well that might be true some of the time. But you certainly can't say a character like Bidoof is nearly as likely as Mewtwo. See what I mean? There are definitely differences in popularity etc... that characters have that seperate them from the rest,

I will admit that comparison is kinda strange, but seriously, think about that in maybe a different way. Comparing Palutena and Hades is a bit harder to decide yes, but some others aren't nearly as difficult.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What's the generally accepted (or average of the generally accepted) number of newcomers?
Around 10-15.

15 being VERY generous and involving cuts.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Finally hearing some sense. :p You'd be surprised how many people simply cannot comprehend this concept.
Yea I agree. i find that a lot of people decide that their most wanted, ridiculously obscure characters are sure to get in just because they say so. That isn't how it works.

I'm for Shulk by the way. He's one of my most wanted. I kind of consider him an All-Star based off of his success and popularity, which brings me to my next point.

Popularity of a series, and the performance it makes are incredibly important. Saying the sales a game generates don't matter is kind of false. What if a game sold 100 copies? Is the protagonist from that game an All-Star? The answer is a big fat NO. Sales do matter. Whether we like it or not.

That's not to say that characters with a lack of revenue behind them are not popular. Obviously, Saki is somewhat popular, yet his games didn't do all that great. Compare that to Shulk. Xenoblade is considered a success in the US and clearly across the globe, yet it didn't sell nearly as many copies as the other big name series Nintendo has. Shulk remains a very popular choice.

All these thoughts I have...so random sometimes.

peeup

Smash Lord
Then I'm gonna start a trend and post who I think will get in:

Kamek
Pac-Man
MewThree
Bowser Jr.
King K. Rool
Ridley
Palutena
Little Mac
Duck Hunt Dog
Takamaru/Balloon Fighter
Roy
Dillon

That's 12. And Takamaru/Balloon Fighter aint a transformation, its that I'm sure one of them will be in, but I got no idea who.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Wario, definantly. I would want Jimmy T. the groovemiester.
And about the mewtwo scenario, mewtwo is highly recquested and seems to be being brought back to the poster for this gen so his chances are banging.
As for that trend. Who do I think will make it...
Pacman
Mewtwo/Awakened form
Little Mac
Palutena
Dillon
Ridley
King K. Rool
Shulk
Chrom
Tingle

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm considering editing my roster again. I think I might remove Dillon, just because I pretty much included him for a crap reason. (being an eShop rep). Any thoughts on my roster?

D

Deleted member

This roster is really beginning to shape itself.

All veterans not named Ike, Sonic, Snake seems guarantee to return along with Mewtwo. I also strongly believe that K. Rool (certain that we're getting a DK newcomer or two), Takamaru, Palutena, Little Mac and Ridley will get in as well.

When looking at things, the majority of the roster has already been laid out for us.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm considering editing my roster again. I think I might remove Dillon, just because I pretty much included him for a crap reason. (being an eShop rep). Any thoughts on my roster?
Llyod & Pac-Man can go either way for the Namco rep.
I'm not a fan of P. Mario, I would rather see him in exchange for Samurai Goroh or Krystal, but that is more of a personal thing

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
The inclusion of two Capcom characters and Fire Emblem having 4 reps. The latter being more of a personal issue for me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The inclusion of two Capcom characters and Fire Emblem having 4 reps. The latter being more of a personal issue for me.
Lloyd is a Namco character. I believe Fire Emblem could deserve 4 reps based on the fact that it has become rather popular, and Roy was cut from Brawl. But to each his own.

@Habanero, so are you saying I shouldn't remove Dillon? I think if I remove anyone, it's going to be him.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Although I don't want them i do believe Mii's have a good chance for SSB4.
They also could possibly tie into the statement that the 3DS version of SSB4 will be more of a customizable version.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
lets see,all brawl characters
mewtwo
k. rool
ridley
isaac
palutena
toad
dillon
ashley
little mac
takumaru
mii
chrom

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We are listing possible newcomers? Here's mine!

Most Likely Newcomers
Bowser Jr.
Chrom
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Little Mac
Mega Man
Mewthree :troll:
Pac-Man
Palutena
Ridley
Shulk
Takamaru
Toad
Toon Zelda
Zoroark

Unlikely Yet Plausible Newcomers
Balloon Fighter
Ghirahim
Impa :troll:
Isa Jo
Isaac
Krystal
Lloyd Irving
Lucina
Matthew
Medusa
Mii
Paper Mario
Pokemon Trainer Gold
Saki Amamiya
Simon Belmont
Toon Ganondorf
Villager
Waddle Dee

Improbable Yet Plausible Newcomers
Captain N :cool:
Duck Hunt Dog :awesome:
Geno
King Hippo
Lip
Meowth
Muddy Mole
Starfy
Sukapon
Tingle
Waluigi

TheCreator

Smash Lord
One of my favorite rosters. Although Lloyd and Pacman...very edgy. I'd say tingle if you think the LoZ will get a representative. Which it very well might. As for Dillon, being an eShop rep is not the only reason to include him! Sakurai said himself in an interview a while back that Nintendo needed newer and cooler IPs to spring up, and then bam comes dillon. Seems like an answer to that call. Plus his sequel comes out very soon. Not that the last part matters...I'm just excited lol
Also, Mewtwo's new form will likely be playable as a transformation of some sort if Mewtwo is in. I'd like a sheik type deal myself.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
K Rool
Impa
Paper mario
Takamaru
Megaman
Chrom
Isaac
Shulk
Ridley
Palutena