• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
King Boo is perfect for a boss. He could use gimmicks like turning invisible when look in his direction, and must attack him with back aerials and other other attacks while facing away from him. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King Boo, Petey Piranha, Wart - all more interessting than Daisy, Waluigi and Rosalina.

Top picks imo for Mario newcomers: TOAD and Paper Mario. Bowser Jr. being a runner up.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The characters are the player's tool to interact with the game and all of its mechanics, I think this is especially true for fighting games, so to have a roster that provides the most variety should be of UTMOST importance. Which is why clones are bad. Having similar characters is more of just a visual thing. LOOKS UNPLEASANT. Sometimes you just have to, like with Mario and Luigi, but to try to keep doing it with MUCH LESS FAMOUS OR NOTABLE guys like Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., and Waluigi, it gets pretty gross pretty fast. Is this even related to you I think I just felt like typing.
Actually, this IS relevant to me. Having visually similar characters that behave very differently from one another reminds me of the whole representation argument. I know you probably won't side with me on this, but this reminds me of Starfox. Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Krystal, while all a bunch of space anthros, are all very different from one another. Though, Falco could use a few new moves and Wolf could have his specials "remixed" a bit.

This also goes for the whole sword user thing. A lot of it is simply aesthetics. Take away the skins and the moveset becomes the most important thing.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
No, I'm with you there. For me, Falco and Wolf are fine enough the way they are, and I'd be okay with Krystal too (though I don't expect her at all).

My problem with sword-users this time around is how many there are that actually have a shot. For example, though I don't mind Ghirahim, Goroh, and I guess I would personally put Chrom here too, I wouldn't want to add that many when I'd already go for Saki, Shulk, Takamaru, and Roy. Plus I think Goroh and Chrom may be a little bland. Ghirahim, I dunno, feel Tingle would be better.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, if we get a Zelda rep I would rather have Tingle

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
My problem with sword-users this time around is how many there are that actually have a shot. For example, though I don't mind Ghirahim, Goroh, and I guess I would personally put Chrom here too, I wouldn't want to add that many when I'd already go for Saki, Shulk, Takamaru, and Roy. Plus I think Goroh and Chrom may be a little bland. Ghirahim, I dunno, feel Tingle would be better.
My picks would be Saki, Takamaru, Lyn, and I guess Shulk (I know nothing about him though). Gun blade user, samurai with projectiles, batto-jutsu swordplay, and whatever the hell Shulk offers.

I just hope losing to Shulk means death by Snu-Snu.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
BLEH. Takamaru and Lyn on the same roster sounds so gross to me, BUT WE'VE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH THAT.

To my knowledge Shulk has an extend-o blade. Doesn't sound all that exciting but I'm sure it has practical and flashy uses.

Obviously Shulk has the Monado, a futuristic sword that can see the future :)

Sword users I think should happen are Shulk, Takamaru, Chrom, Ghirahim, Isa Jo, Matthew, and Robin.

peeup

Smash Lord
My highest hope for sword user is a Young Link that uses Deku, Goron, and Zora forms. So he wouldn't actually be a sword user. I just wanted an excuse to say that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bowser Jr. is one of very few characters I'd be perfectly fine with as a clone, since that would at least make Bowser's moveset somewhat competent in competitive play. If he gets paint, all the better.

D

Deleted member

No, I'm with you there. For me, Falco and Wolf are fine enough the way they are, and I'd be okay with Krystal too (though I don't expect her at all).

If there's one thing that there's plentiful of in regards to newcomers, its definitely the amount of users that would use swords.

I have no doubt that we're going to be seeing at least three new characters that uses swords with Takamaru, a Fire Emblem newcomer and Shulk/Isaac being the most likely additions. Yet its also plausible that we could see four or five characters that uses swords. Heck, there's even an off-chance Sakurai brings in six sword users.

Takamaru, Isaac, Shulk, Roy, Chrom, Saki, Goroh and Ghirahim. That's already eight additions I could see happening. All I know is that those who cry foul at sword users are up for some serious disappointment. :troll:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Isaac can do without swords, considering his specials at least. He uses a short sword by the way.

D

Deleted member

Isaac can do without swords, considering his specials at least. He uses a short sword by the way.
I just mentioned Isaac since he does use a sword and its possible that they may incorporate it in his move set, but you're probably right.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Bowser Jr. is one of very few characters I'd be perfectly fine with as a clone, since that would at least make Bowser's moveset somewhat competent in competitive play. If he gets paint, all the better.
I don't think Bowser Jr., if included in the game, has much of a chance of being a clone of Bowser. He has too many unique moves.
But then again, they made :ganondorf: a :falcon: clone.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh yeah, I never did mention why I felt it would be bad to include so many sword users. If they took up like half of the amount of newcomers, that would just look terrible.

Though a list might start out with "bloodthirsty space dragon, little boxer, goddess, schizo crocodile, exploding biker, etc.," would be a little embarrassing for it to end with "guy with gun sword, guy with fire sword, guy with extendo-sword, fat guy with sword, fabulous guy with sword, guy with anime sword, etc." I know they would all play differently, but even beyond the movesets there's a more overarching sort of variety, y'know.

peeup

Smash Lord
I know they would all play differently, but even beyond the movesets there's a more overarching sort of variety, y'know.
This. So much this. This is always so overlooked. Yeah, movesets can be made to be more diverse than the Pitt/Jolie clan. But that doesn't mean that the roster itself is varied. I want different characters to populate the game. Different movesets, yes, but also different looks and personalities.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So what about Layton then if he made it in. Instead of a sword though, he uses a lead pipe like he did in the movie and the latest game. Would he still be considered a sword user or lead pipe user... =/

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What I want.
That picture Diddy, made me want Impa. None of the other 800 did, but this one, it did.

To my knowledge Shulk has an extend-o blade. Doesn't sound all that exciting but I'm sure it has practical and flashy uses.
There is no sword user in, or up for newcomer nomination who is similar to Shulk. I've played a bit of Xenoblade. More than TLS, but I'm less inclined to pick it up again, unlike TLS.
Also, I don't know what it is about Isaac that is so offputting to me. I think it must have been Johnknight.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Toad and Jr. tie for the most likely Mario character.
Paper Mario comes second.

Everyone else is just kind of there....

And I'm sure we won't get more than 3 new sword users.

It will probably be Isaac, Shulk and a FE rep.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
There is no sword user in, or up for newcomer nomination who is similar to Shulk. I've played a bit of Xenoblade. More than TLS, but I'm less inclined to pick it up again, unlike TLS.
Good to know.
Also, I don't know what it is about Isaac that is so offputting to me. I think it must have been Johnknight.
I am so sorry.

I like to imagine you can ask a question and then you cough up a little poll pole like a hairball (because you're like a cute little kitty cat), and depending on how people feel about the question, your poll pole extends in length. The poll pole has A RAINBOW of different colors on it though (like your little poll tier lists) to reflect the different reactions people may have to it, and the respective color on the poll pole extends appropriately. You like to go over the results in the middle of battle just to let your opponent know how it's going. Also you typically have "OW GEEZ I HATE THIS POLL" as an option.

Imagine if there was like a comet about to hit the Earth and you asked "DO YOU WANT TO SAVE THE WORLD?!" then cough up a poll pole andand the green "YES" portion of it rocketed upward to stop the comment. There'd be a little red "NO" portion to though because people are unfunny jerkholes sometimes. The "OW" option would be like 1cm long since the comet gets an opinion too.

Yeah, you're so cool Shorts.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh yeah, I never did mention why I felt it would be bad to include so many sword users. If they took up like half of the amount of newcomers, that would just look terrible.

Though a list might start out with "bloodthirsty space dragon, little boxer, goddess, schizo crocodile, exploding biker, etc.," would be a little embarrassing for it to end with "guy with gun sword, guy with fire sword, guy with extendo-sword, fat guy with sword, fabulous guy with sword, guy with anime sword, etc." I know they would all play differently, but even beyond the movesets there's a more overarching sort of variety, y'know.
I think this is when you need to find a way to diversify the those sword characters more amongst themselves in reasonable ways.

Saki - Make it to where his gun is the focus, not the sword itself. This way, his weapons come more across as sci-fi bayonets than the gunblades of the Final Fantasy series. As mentioned in the past, BlazBlue's Noel or Injustice's Harley are both really good references to get an overall feel.
Roy - Any ideas?
She-Hulk - Someone's got to fill me on this, I'll have to look at the Shulk thread on this one.
Goroh - I honestly can't see what he'll bring other than being a pitbull character.
Ghirahim - Take a look at BlazBlue's Nu-13 or Marvel's Vergil. Perhaps making it where he has plenty of knife projectiles and saw blade attacks should help.
Isaac - As you mentioned, his Psynergy needs to be top priority. It probably can if done right. Use the sword as filler otherwise.
Takamaru - Make his projectiles a strong focus. I'm thinking of a Japanese version of Marvel's Arthur.
Lyn - Do you have to ask?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For the sake of variety, Lyn could also use a bow.

For Roy, his attacks should be based on fencing. That is how he uses a Rapier in-game. Keep the ph1r3 though.

D

Deleted member

Do me a favor. As soon as Turbo mode becomes available. Test to see how the Sheilda transformation thing works. I'd be very pleased to see if this improves their synergy better.
Sure thing. So far my impressions are as follows.

-transforming has less delay than in Vanilla Brawl, it's about the same as in Melee.
-Zelda is MUCH better, how much I dunno as I never played her in either game since I never gave two ****s for Zoners till Blazblue came along (dat Mu-12, dat Rachael), but I think Smash isn't a good game for Zoners anyway, she still has a bit of trouble against fast characters, much better than before though.
-Snake is still pretty sweet as a character, the knife is a great option and much better than the RPG, but it takes a little getting used to.
-Sonic is very fluid and actually usable, I like what they did to him.
-Lucario is like Sex: instinctive, and feels good, but a little tricky to master.

And mfw Marth in Project M:

Now I can go back to maining him.

In many ways, P:M is what Brawl should have been.

When is 3.0 coming out? I'm up for some Turbo.

SSB4 Challenge/Discussion #10: Mario's List Top To Bottom

For this challenege you must rank them from MOST LIKELY TO BE INCLUDED IN SMASH 4 to LEAST LIKELY TO BE INCLUDED IN SMASH 4. You can answer that any way you want, but I would recommend a list. Also, make sure you give REASONS for why your list is in the order it is in. Why is the character at the top there? Why would you lowest character be there?

Enjoy.
-Paper Mario
-Dr. Mario
-Shadow Mario
-Metal Mario
-Mario Party Mario
-Strikers Mario
-Sports Mario
-****** Mario

Hell, you could make the whole roster just Mario, there's plenty to go around.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For the sake of variety, Lyn could also use a bow.
That's another thing that could be added for Lyn. I mean, the Links and Pit are the only people that use one anyway.

@Manly
I think the zoning issue may stem from the mechanics in general. I wonder what it would be like if we didn't have air dodges, and I know I'm walking on thin ice.

And what was the Marth picture?

D

Deleted member

BLEH. Takamaru and Lyn on the same roster sounds so gross to me, BUT WE'VE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH THAT.

An extendo-sword? Like the Shaman King?

Me likey, suddenly Shulk sounds 10x cooler to me. Guess I'll have to wait for Xenoblade to... get...here, so I can play the game check it out for myself.

That's another thing that could be added for Lyn. I mean, the Links and Pit are the only people that use one anyway.

@Manly
I think the zoning issue may stem from the mechanics in general. I wonder what it would be like if we didn't have air dodges, and I know I'm walking on thin ice.

And what was the Marth picture?
I agree 100%, it's the mechanics entirely Smash gives you too much freedom to make Zoning a serious thread, where as in SF it's damn near staple for stage control. Blazblue strikes a nice balance though.

As for the pic that did upload:

>I just came.gif

Lyn using a bow would be awesome, reminds me of Kikyo from Inuyasha
I actually don't like the idea of Lyn using a bow, at least not for a fighting game, it breaks her synergy, at least for the style I had in mind.

Not every character needs a ranged attack.

That being said, and archer ONLY character would be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom