• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSB4 Challenge/Discussion #10: Mario's List Top To Bottom

The Mario franchise started off with only Mario and Luigi in the original Smash Bros, while Peach and Bowser were added into Melee. By the time Brawl came around, there were no new characters added. Since we missed one in that game, it could mean we might not see another in Smash 4 as well. Or it could mean we will see a character or characters added because Super Smash Bros Brawl didn't have any included. Six potential characters we could possibly see added to the Mario roster if there were one to two more would be Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Rosalina, Toad, Waluigi, and Daisy.

For this challenege you must rank them from MOST LIKELY TO BE INCLUDED IN SMASH 4 to LEAST LIKELY TO BE INCLUDED IN SMASH 4. You can answer that any way you want, but I would recommend a list. Also, make sure you give REASONS for why your list is in the order it is in. Why is the character at the top there? Why would you lowest character be there?

Enjoy.

My List:

1. Bowser Jr - Very important to the series, has been included in practically every game since he debuted. Also it adds a villain.
2. Paper Mario - The Paper Mario series is big and successful, he is well liked and could easily play different than normal Mario.
3. Toad - Been in the series since the beginning. One of the top side characters and has recently became more important because of the role in the New Super Mario Bros games.
4. Rosalina - The new big "princess" in the series, important to the Galaxy games.
5. Waluigi - Important to the side games, but that is basically where he is stuck at.
6. Daisy - Like Waluigi, stuck in side games and her only main entry was back on the Gameboy. Doesn't do much to stand out and would be too much of a Peach clone.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Rosalina doesn't offer much new to the game, and I personally feel she is too similar to Peach physically (even though in Mario Kart she's a fat ****). This feeling I have applies to Daisy as well.

Toad deserves it based on the fact that he is a long tenured character to the series. I don't find him that interesting though.
Paper Mario I feel is the most interesting, albeit not the most likely, and is my most wanted character.
Waluigi could be unique and has a lot of popularity to him. I suppose I wouldn't necessarily mind him.
Bowser Jr. could be interesting and is probably likely as well.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Paper Mario - Has his own series and a unique potential move set. Why would this even be a question?
Waluigi - Despite not being part of the wario ware games many people see him as wario's other half.
Bowser Jr. - Multiple appearances and much different from his father.
Rosalina - Neat. Could possibly use those star people for some of her moves? These last three i think have no chance of getting in.
Toad - Hes a minor character in comparison to the others. Plus hes a common NPC, not a unique one of a kind character. Only ahead of daisy because..
Daisy - its almost certain she'll be a clone of peach. So many similarities between the two that a recolored peach looks exactly the same.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really don't see Red being cut.
Red most likely won't be cut because he has the most popular as well as most recognizeable starter Pokemon. Not to mention, replacing three playable characters is a lot of work, so replacing him could possibly affect what/who we get on the roster otherwise.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So we have:

Paper Mario
Purple Green Mario
Bowser that turns into Mario
Yellow Peach
Blue Peach
Toad

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I thought people had grown weary of it. I’d like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendo Land’s F-Zero minigame.
I am also very curious and I’d like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven’t done before?
Sounds like a new F-Zero is very possible, the way I read it. Keep in mind that this is the end of the article, so it seems like he's retracting his previous statements after finding out how much people like F-Zero.
And it doesn't need to add much. Just do what Mario Kart does. New characters, new tracks, maybe a few new gimmicks, and call it a day.
I'd honestly be happy with an HD GX, but I know Nintendo can give us more than that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My List for Mario Newcomers
Paper Mario: The Toon Link of the Mario Series.
Toad: The last important iconic character of the Mario series who isn't there yet.
Bowser Jr.: Has been appearing in lots of games recently especially in NSMB titles.
Dr. Mario: I want him back :urg: (preferably, de-cloned)
Waluigi: Assist trophy in Brawl, Universal in spin-offs, Memetic status, Absurdly popular (Shortie's poll)

The less likely ones:
Rosalina: Pivotal role in the Galaxy games, and notably has a backstory, which is rare among the Mario cast.
Daisy: Now present mainly as a playable character in spin-offs. Not much to say.
Birdo: Potential to be unique. (:troll:)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm wondering, if people looked into Brawl's files to see unused content, hasn't anyone tried to do the same for Melee?
Or has that been done and there is nothing noteworthy that we can't already see in the Debug Menu?
Well there was the whole Giga Bowser thing, but there was a cut (presumably) Fire Emblem stage called Akaneia. Aside from varies test stages, nothing in particular is coming up.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
1) Bowser Jr. - He literally is a mini Bowser. He does have potential to set himself apart from Bowser through the use of the paint brush.
2) Waluigi - He has the potential to be a unique character, He can have and be the moveset Wario never was. Seeing how Wario's moveset takes more so on the Warioware games.
3) Rosalina - Rosalina has the support of a $h!t ton of Lumas, she also is some sort of Space Goddess, so she has the ability to be more than "just another peach look-a-like clone".
4) Toad - Toad is already nodded through the use of Peach's B move, I don't think giving him a full on character is necessary.Yeah The B move can be replaced with Toadsworth to give Toad a possible spot.
5) Daisy - The existence of Daisy is already nodded to with Peach's Alt costume. Daisy doesn't really doing anything to set her apart from Peach. Unless she utilizes what little difference that are present in the Party/Sports games.
6) Paper Mario - I just don't seem Paper Mario/Baby Mario/Metal/Shadow (Unless through Bowser Jr.) Tanooki suit, Star, whatever Mario happening. Especially over Dr. Mario. Yeah Paper Mario can use moves that are unique to his games. But then again all these Marios can have a moveset that is unique to them with or without a moveset source material.

I would rather another series get a rep, then the Mario series...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah I mean with Melee characters were ADDED not cut, so there's not much to see. I mean we know about things like AT's being thought about at that point, as well as Wario, Leaf, Wolf, Kanto Trainer, and Dedede. But not much else. OH, had a dream that Dixie Kong was playable in Smash bros last night. Was pretty cool.

@Mario series, I'm pretty much down with Toad, Junior, and Geno. Doc and Paper Mario are fine too. It's a series that I don't think will get a newcomer, but one would be a pleasant surprise. Geno and Junior are the two I really want.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Bowser Jr- next
Toad- best of them all
Waluigi- like him but he ain't gettin in
Daisy- hurp
Doc- see Waluigi
Rosalina- don't really know anything about her
Paper Mario- meh

So overall, not much to write home about

D

Deleted member

Well there was the whole Giga Bowser thing, but there was a cut (presumably) Fire Emblem stage called Akaneia. Aside from varies test stages, nothing in particular is coming up.
Damn, and all that is through Debug/General AR meddling.

Yeah I mean with Melee characters were ADDED not cut, so there's not much to see. I mean we know about things like AT's being thought about at that point, as well as Wario, Leaf, Wolf, Kanto Trainer, and Dedede. But not much else. OH, had a dream that Dixie Kong was playable in Smash bros last night. Was pretty cool.
If cedynm or whatever his name is correct, then at the very least there should be unused files for Dedede, seeing as Sakurai supposedly did some backup work on him in case he didn't get approval for Marth.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If cedynm or whatever his name is correct, then at the very least there should be unused files for Dedede, seeing as Sakurai supposedly did some backup work on him in case he didn't get approval for Marth.
Maybe he deleted it? Iunno.

I think clones > Dedede was a good idea

D

Deleted member

Maybe he deleted it? Iunno.

I think clones > Dedede was a good idea
Well, we won't really know until someone dedicates time to ripping through all of Melee's data like what happened with Brawl....and the probability of that seems kind of low.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Paper Mario is pretty annoying because people think "oh he's made of paper think of how unique he could be he wouldn't be similar to Mario at all," but when it comes down to actually giving him moves, they just go "HAMMER." Did you completely forget why he was even worth consideration from the beginning? Pretty sure everything that anyone really wants out of Paper Mario they could get out of a stage.

Then Junior, as cool as his paintbrush would be, it's really the only thing that makes him cool. Not all that popular or important. Take that paintbrush away and he literally adds zero. No cool stage or music to go with him, and even worse is that he's just another Bowser. Reminds me of Krystal and her staff, but I'd still add her way before Junior.

Toad kind of wins by default but he's pretty boring and also doesn't really add anything. Being so well-known though, maybe that doesn't matter?

The rest aren't worth more than a laugh and a shake of the head.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I would prefer Dr. Mario over any new character just because he is a veteran. Bowser Jr. sounds the most interesting of the newcomers.

I do one day see Waluigi, Daisy, and Bowser Jr. all being add to complete the Mario party case. It seems like that core 8 or so characters appears in every Mario oriented spin-off/party game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It really comes down to Toad and Bowser Junior, IMO. And between the two, I'd rather have Captin Syrup or a WarioWare character.

Oh, and even if Junior was included, I really don't see his moveset being entirely based around the paintbrush. Kind of can see him USING it, but no more than other weapons. I should make a Junior moveset that doesn't revolve soley around paint and paintbrush materials.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Paper abilities could be added. Turn into an air-plane act similar to meta knight's over b or just act like a glide. Turn sidewars, walk around turn back cause damage (could be turned into a counter type move). Tube mode where he rolls up could behave like yoshi's egg. Luigi's super jump (in super paper mario) could be barrowed for a down-b even. Then there are the assisting characters and pixls that have a boat load of specials that could be added to mario. and then the hammer.

You honestly think hammer is the only thing that can be applied to him?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Paper abilities could be added. Turn into an air-plane act similar to meta knight's over b or just act like a glide. Turn sidewars, walk around turn back cause damage (could be turned into a counter type move). Tube mode where he rolls up could behave like yoshi's egg. Luigi's super jump (in super paper mario) could be barrowed for a down-b even. Then there are the assisting characters and pixls that have a boat load of specials that could be added to mario. and then the hammer.

You honestly think hammer is the only thing that can be applied to him?
I'm aware of what he can do, I'm just extra hard on him because he is another Mario.

Gross.

I mean, maybe it's fitting that only his specials would have him do papery things and I'm just being WAY TOO HARD on him, but other than that he just seems boring to me. Plus, the badges/pixls/partners/whatever tacked on gimmick just seems bloated. Gotta admit I have a major bias with having two of the same characters on the roster. I'd boot Toon Link first thing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pretty much every Mario character that should have been added, have already been added

So we really don't need any more of them
If you're gonna look at Smash through those type of lenses. Do we really NEED any newcomers at all?

The general problem with all the Mario newcomers is they're just MEH. I mean, I LIKE Junior, and Star likes Toad, and Holder likes Paper Mario, but most users just go.. meh. So, there is no general consensus on who we can agree on, as well as a general lack of interest. And the most popular newcomer is a pile of poop. But with that said, the inclusion of the three characters I just pointed out wouldn't be a bad thing in any way.

They're just, alright.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm not too fond of Toon Link's Smash incarnation either. It mostly saddens me to think we're going to get pretty much a cute Link clone over Tingle. He's so cloney.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Then Junior, as cool as his paintbrush would be, it's really the only thing that makes him cool. Not all that popular or important. Take that paintbrush away and he literally adds zero. No cool stage or music to go with him, and even worse is that he's just another Bowser. Reminds me of Krystal and her staff, but I'd still add her way before Junior.
This is probably the most gameplay based position I've seen you take.

Toad kind of wins by default but he's pretty boring and also doesn't really add anything.
Rushdown-grappler hybrid based off of his SMB2 and Wario's Woods incarnations.

What a hull!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
This is probably the most gameplay based position I've seen you take.
Kind of weird that you would pick out "this guy would have an awesome moveset but I still wouldnt add him since he looks kind of like that other guy" as an example of that but okay.

The characters are the player's tool to interact with the game and all of its mechanics, I think this is especially true for fighting games, so to have a roster that provides the most variety should be of UTMOST importance. Which is why clones are bad. Having similar characters is more of just a visual thing. LOOKS UNPLEASANT. Sometimes you just have to, like with Mario and Luigi, but to try to keep doing it with MUCH LESS FAMOUS OR NOTABLE guys like Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., and Waluigi, it gets pretty gross pretty fast. Is this even related to you I think I just felt like typing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Bowser Junior
B Fireball: It’s well known that the lad can’t exactly breathe fire yet like his daddy, but he still can bring a little bit of spice. His fireballs would move slowly, in a straight line across the level. You can cancel one by spitting another, and upon canceling the first, it will explode slightly. So anyone, say, jumping over it or getting too close will get a minor burn, and do that stupid flinch animation every character does when Bowser uses fire breath on them.
BV Bob-Omb: Junior can set a bomb down, where it will take about three seconds to explode, or, hold down B, and then angle straight up, rainbow the bomb to the left, or rainbow the bomb to the right. Upon contact with anything the bomb will explode. The bombs are going to be similar to Link in explosion style, and look visualy larger/different to the bob-omb item.
B^ Clown Car: Pretty simple. Pressing up B will make Junior appear in his clown car, where you have complete 360 control for about three seconds.
B> Paintbrush: Junior lunges forward jabbing the opponent with the paintbrush. Simply tapping B> will make the move stronger, but if you hold B down, Junior will wiggle the painbrush around, leaving slippery paint on the ground, which can cause you to trip if you run into it. Only one paint slick, bomb, and fireball are allowed on the field at a time.
Overview: He’s average in weight and one of the weaker characters in terms of regular attacks. To make up for his strong B move selection, he has a hard time KOing like Link. But you know, not ****ing awful, just not super easy. His Up B is rather weak, so he has three short jumps, to make up for it. No, I don't condone Shadow Mario movesets.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The worst thing about the roster is that it replaces Sheik with Impa. :mad:
Nope, it's the very best thing.

Only minor complaints about Nik's roster is no Isaac and no Ike. Otherwise, it's fine. I'd rather keep Red and Lucario over Gold and Zoroark to, but those are extremely minor changes I wouldn't mind at all personally.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

All this Mario talk and not a mention of King Boo? Ah well, that would actually be pretty interesting in my eyes, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom