• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I had this idea once:

Grass Pokemon Trainer: :001: :002: :003: all through evolution
Fire Pokemon Trainer: :004: :005: :006: all through evolution
Water Pokemon Trainer: :007: :008: :009: all through evolution
Super Smash Bros. Pokemon and Friends!

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
characters i wouldn't buy the game without

original 12 (unless jiggs is replaced by mew, meowth, or eevee)
ice climbers (little dudes grew on me)
r.o.b. (he's a freaking robot)
zelda (ain't nobody cutting my girl)

anybody else I'll be dissapointed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be honest, I doubt that many people are such big fans of every single one of Brawl's characters to the point where they'd boycott the game if a single one weren't in. Sure, the backlash would be deafening, but if all these years of buildup lead to, say, no Falco or Ness, a crowd of people suddenly canceling their pre-orders and dropping all hype would be just a tad silly.

gannondorf4ever's list is closest to my own in that those characters are mandatory for me to not have an overwhelmingly sour taste left in my mouth, with the possible exceptions of Isaac and Takamaru.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but here's an interview from July, 2008 from Official Nintendo Magazine to Sakurai. http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/5437/features/an-audience-with-masahiro-sakurai/?page=2

This quote in particular is interesting:
Sakurai said:
In an age where games are made by hundreds of people though, as opposed to the old days of lone programmers in their bedrooms, surely he doesn't make all the decisions by himself? "I decide what goes in the game; nobody else." Oh, right. "But when it comes to the characters," he continues, "there's a degree of balance to getting it right. The popularity of the character is important, for instance, as is the consideration of whether the character has a unique ability that only he, she or it can bring to the game."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
gannondorf4ever's list is closest to my own in that those characters are mandatory for me to not have an overwhelmingly sour taste left in my mouth, with the possible exceptions of Isaac and Takamaru.
Yeah! Score one for Gan-man!

Seriously though, I don't expect any of my must-haves to not be in. Wolf? Falco? No, they've established a Starfox triad. Ice Climbers is probably mandatory too, I just...meh.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hope no one gets cut. The only cut I wasn't completely pissed about was Pichu. I guess you could say Young Link, but Toon Link IS Young Link, so I don't consider that a cut, just a rename.
But if they do make cuts, hopefully they'll be available later as DLC.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
All I know is this, if some goku or naruto love says that r.o.b. should be cut...
Well there will be some raging

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But when it comes to the characters," he continues, "there's a degree of balance to getting it right. The popularity of the character is important, for instance, as is the consideration of whether the character has a unique ability that only he, she or it can bring to the game."
Well, the unique ability thing would explain Dr. Mario and Young Link. I mean, nobody else can throw drugs at people or get drunk on Lon Lon milk.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I seriously support Dr. Mario for Smash 4. I've made my case before, but the Mario series needs more than 4 reps compared to Pokemon's 6 (probably 7 in SSB4 with Mewtwo) and Zelda's 5.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't know if he'll be in or not. I just like him. And if Sakurai could give Captain Falcon a moveset, he could give anyone a moveset.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't know if he'll be in or not. I just like him. And if Sakurai could give Captain Falcon a moveset, he could give anyone a moveset.
And now I want to see someone come up with a Warp Star moveset...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What characters are must haves in your book? Meaning characters that you wouldn't buy a game for if any of them were excluded.
Here would be my list:
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Donkey Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Yoshi
- Wario
- Link
- Zelda
- Ganondorf
- Samus
- Zero Suit Samus
- Pit
- Kirby
- Meta-Knight
- King Dedede
- Pikachu
- Pokemon Trainer (Red or Gold or someone else)
- Olimar

Luckily, they're all safe so I'm not worried about any of them.
Yeah, I don't have childhood memories of Pokemon (other than the anime), Fire Emblem, EarthBound, Star Fox, and F-Zero games. I LOVED Ness and Lucas in Brawl but I am neutral towards the Mother series. I hate the Star Fox clones (Wolf is cool though) so I don't care if they return or not. I don't have rose-colored nostalgia towards Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B. so I am neutral towards them. They were still fun to play with but I'd like to play as new, never-before-playable-in-Smash retro characters. I like Pikachu and I like the idea of Pokemon Trainer but I really would like to play as new, never-before-playable-in-Smash Pokemon. And I also don't care about the whole "Original 12" thing.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The only character I could remotely see them cutting is ROB.
But please don't HM01 anyone. :(

D

Deleted member

"Balance"? There was a balance?
I know you're making a sarcastic remark about gameplay balance, however, that is not the "balance" I'm talking about.
It was a synergenic balance between the set of three: the small, lightweight Squirtle, the middleground Ivysaur, and the large, heavyweight Charizard.
Sakurai talks about this in the same interview he discusses about the Villager using a bug net and shovel.
Ironically, he mentions that he considered having them all be fully evolved or all be at their first stages before he decided on having one of each stage.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

This is getting exciting!
Well... not quite.

Roy is terrible, Lyn for the win.
Mewtwo is ****.
Ridley is too big.
Little Mac is boring.
Lip is pedobait.
Takamaru is a Marth clone.
Pichu is the best character ever created.
K. Rool is irrelevant.
Palutena cannot fight, she has to support Pit.
Dillon is a ****ty Sonic knockoff
Matthew > Issac
Isa > Saki
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Dr. Mario is just Mario in a doctor suit he cannot be unique.
French toast > waffles.

Alright, now it's exciting.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
@ben
Ike, Snake, Sonic, and Lucario are way more likely then R.O.B., hell that's what people said about Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers during brawl

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well... not quite.

Mewtwo is ****.
Ridley is too big.
Little Mac is boring.
Lip is pedobait.
K. Rool is irrelevant.
Matthew > Issac
Isa > Saki
French toast > waffles.

etc. etc.
I thought you were serious for a sec...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well... not quite.

Mewtwo is ****.
Ridley is too big.
Little Mac is boring.
Lip is pedobait.
K. Rool is irrelevant.
Matthew > Issac
Isa > Saki
French toast > waffles.

etc. etc.
Careful! Those are the words of the dark summoning incantation... :troll:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There's the question of whether or not they can be given a moveset that would seem appropriate for the character. Capt. Falcon, Fox, and Zelda in particular were interesting cases. Falcon comes from a series of superhero like racers, so Sakurai seemingly went for a Kamen Rider thing for Falcon. It's also quite possible it might've been leftovers from Dragon King.

Zelda's moves seem like things she'd have in the games, if she ever did them that is. Despite this, they are definitely in character for Zelda. Fox's TKD style seems like one of the more random ones. That was the only one I could never figure out as to why he has that moveset other than his mercenary background would more than likely involve martial arts training.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Can we all agree that this guy is a shoe in?

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Falcon comes from a series of superhero like racers, so Sakurai seemingly went for a Kamen Rider thing for Falcon.
Pretty much but some of the Captain's moves come from the comic that came with F-Zero copies for teh SNES.

Curiously enough the two moves seen here (elbow F-Smash and Raptor Boost) were added in Melee. There were no side specials in SSB and his 64 F-smash was a weird roundhouse type of kick.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Curiously enough the two moves seen here (elbow F-Smash and Raptor Boost) were added in Melee. There were no side specials in SSB and his 64 F-smash was a weird roundhouse type of kick.
Man, why doesn't Smash's Raptor Boost make the sound "Bako!" as well?

Anyway I'm betting most of Captain Falcon's moveset was made up of leftovers from Smash 64's original prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom