• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Pardon my ignorance, but I've never played a FE game. I plan on playing Awakening when I get a 3DS, so I'll probably want to hit myself for asking this later on, but...what is a Laguz?
InB4 "Lern2google"
Other people have explained what Laguz are, but don't worry, they don't appear in FE13.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Guys I posted this in the other topic... I don't think it is likeable, but I don't think it is unlikeable too...

Obviously I would be completely happy with this, but maybe is too much... I don't want to accept that "The roster is already big enough" ****. A new Smash game without a larger roster than the predecessor doesn't make any sense, but maybe I overdid it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Well for starters, why Skull Kid? Why Impa? Why Medusa? Why N? Why Black Knight? Why Masked Kid? Also why the hell is it so unorganized? WHY IS MY ROCKET SHIP DRIFTING OFF INTO DEEP SPACE? WHY CANNOT I REACH THE COORDINATES OF THE SPACE BASE? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?

D

Deleted member

All three of you are wrong.

1. Mario
2. Pokemon
3. Wii Series
4. Legend of Zelda
5. Donkey Kong
6. Kirby
7. Super Smash Bros.
8. Nintendogs
9. Metroid
10. Star Fox
11. Animal Crossing

Here's the sauce for the data you posted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

The Fire Emblem series has not reached at least 5 million copies sold, so it is not on this list.
Actually, how can you be so sure about that? I've been looking for the number of sales of the whole franchise myself and nothing comes up oddly enough.

Fire Emblem 7 sold nearly a million copies when released in the West.
http://www.ign.com/blogs/cazferalig...ng-why-are-we-so-happy-about-its-announcement

And Awakening has had the fastest sales in the series, and it's only been released in Japan (same source).

Radiant Dawn sold 73,000 copies in Japan within it's first week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem

Also, consider the fact that its a 14 game franchise. Surely, with the other entries, the franchise must surpass 5 million. I could be wrong though.

Lastly, if we go by game count alone, Fire Emblem still stands as one of the bigger franchises of Nintendo, surpassing, Metroid, Mother, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and even Donkey Kong (the old DK titles are known as "Mario," and the new Mario Titles are known as "Super Mario," the more you know...).

So, as stated by Shinpichu, out of all the franchises eligible for a new rep (meaning Mario Party doesn't count), Fire Emblem, and Kirby stand side by side as the most "numerous" series after the "Big 3."

That being said, I can see Fire Emblem getting 4 reps.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

Well for starters, why Skull Kid? Why Impa? Why Medusa? Why N? Why Black Knight? Why Masked Kid? Also why the hell is it so unorganized?
It's not unorganized, I put the protagonist of the six major franchise in the center (or at least thos I think are the major franchises) and then developed the roster from the center to the outside. I prefer this instead of the boring Brawl menu.
Character choices aren't that easy to explain. Why Skull Kid? 'Cause he's cool, that's about it.

D

Deleted member

It's not unorganized, I put the protagonist of the six major franchise in the center (or at least thos I think are the major franchises) and then developed the roster from the center to the outside. I prefer this instead of the boring Brawl menu.
Character choices aren't that easy to explain. Why Skull Kid? 'Cause he's cool, that's about it.
That organization alone makes me want to tear my eyes out...

Aside from that it's pretty generic, and the only plus is the fact you included Mach Rider to kinda stand out from the usual.

Other than that, you have a lot of questionable choices such as the Black Knight, and Ballon Fighter (how would he even play?) which Sakurai has already shot down during Brawl's development.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That organization alone makes me want to tear my eyes out...

Aside from that it's pretty generic, and the only plus is the fact you included Mach Rider to kinda stand out from the usual.

Other than that, you have a lot of questionable choices such as the Black Knight, and Ballon Fighter (how would he even play?) which Sakurai has already shot down during Brawl's development.
Well when I make dream rosters I don't think about these things... That's boring.
Isn't Mach Rider kinda requested anyway? And how would he even play?

D

Deleted member

Well for starters, why Skull Kid? Why Impa? Why Medusa? Why N? Why Black Knight? Why Masked Kid? Also why the hell is it so unorganized? WHY IS MY ROCKET SHIP DRIFTING OFF INTO DEEP SPACE? WHY CANNOT I REACH THE COORDINATES OF THE SPACE BASE? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?
I hate to be THAT guy...but it's "WHY IS MY PRECIOUS ROCKET SHIP DRIFTING OFF INTO DEEP SPACE? WHY AM I REACHING YOU AT THE COORDINATES OF THE ABANDONED SPACE STATION? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?"

@ManlySpirit: If you are so sure Fire Emblem has reached at least 5 million sales at this point due to being a 14 game series, then ask ChronoBound. He'd know more than me on this particular issue.

EDIT: Balloon Fighter was shot down in Melee in favor of the Ice Climbers for the issue that he'd "be useless if his balloons popped".
Which is kind of a moot issue, as he later added Olimar in Brawl, who is pretty much useless without his Pikmin. And it's not like the balloons can't be regenerated; in-game enemies are capable of inflating and pumping balloons, so logically, the Balloon Fighter would be able to do that as well.
And considering we have characters that would make you go "how would they fight?" if they weren't in Smash already, that's a moot point too.

D

Deleted member

Well when I make dream rosters I don't think about these things... That's boring.
Isn't Mach Rider kinda requested anyway? And how would he even play?
Well since it's a dream roster then you should have given yourself more creative freedom and added different 3rd parties, and more interesting off-the-wall 1st parties.

As for Mach Rider...

He would play like the Mother****in' Kamen Rider:

We could have his Blaster, and his Bike for Special attacks (Wario has his Bike, so why not the Mack Rider). But mostly he'd be a fast physical hitter. Sorta like a variation C.Falcon. He'd make a great rival character for the Capt.

@GY

Well, I think we've already established the number of sales is irrelevant to a character's chances, so there's no point. The point is Fire Emblem could get away with 4 reps given how iconic it is. And if FE14 is as good as they say, then you can bet there will be a lot of Fire Emblem hype prior to SSB4's release.

Also, how well a character can fight is pretty important when considering their chances. Plain and simple, I Sakurai cannot see them in his game fighting other characters, then don't think they'll have a good chance. We've already talked about how Assist Trophies were created because some characters are too hard to implement. So, no, it's not moot, it's actually quite an important issue to consider.

Also, THIS is moot:

D

Deleted member

That isn't so unfeasible, considering Captain Falcon basically copied the Rider Punch and Rider Kick, which shows favoristism by Sakurai to the Kamen Rider series. There's still some Rider moves such as the Rider Chop and Rider Thrust that Falcon doesn't do, so Mach Rider could copy those.

However, leave the Mach Bike as Final Smash, please.

EDIT: It wasn't so much as "not seeing the characters fighting" as it was "I like X Character, so I will give excuse to why X Character is a better choice than Y Character". Pretty much, all of Sakurai's reasoning for why the Ice Climbers were chosen over Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, Bubbles, and Urban Champion were bull****, considering there are examples that Sakurai has done that counter it, or within source material in Bubbles' case, that make the statements hypocritical. The REAL reason behind the Ice Climbers was that he wanted to introduce a new two characters as one gimmick that none of the other "candidates" could have done. But no, Sakurai had to be Sakurai and give excuses to why they were supposedly superior to other "choice" that he likely didn't even honestly consider.

It's like Capcom, when they stated Iron Fist was "too punchy" for Marvel 3 and that they "couldn't implement Ghost Rider's bike". Then Ultimate comes out, and we get those two. Also, Nemesis and Tyrant would have "given the game an M Rating". Nemesis was added in Ultimate and it was still rated T.

D

Deleted member

That isn't so unfeasible, considering Captain Falcon basically copied the Rider Punch and Rider Kick, which shows favoristism by Sakurai to the Kamen Rider series. There's still some Rider moves such as the Rider Chop and Rider Thrust that Falcon doesn't do, so Mach Rider could copy those.

However, leave the Mach Bike as Final Smash, please.
Nah, that would be too much like C.Falcon's FS. I think the Mach Bike could be a Special Akin to Wario's, or something. Especially since it's a faster Bike. Plus, the Bike is what separates him from the Capt. Considering the Mach Rider FIGHTS on his bike, the Capt. doesn't. It's best that way we avoid a clone character.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I was thinking about a Captain Falcon clone, actually, for Mach Rider. Not completely, since Mach Rider can use guns too (I don't remember if his bike has guns incorporated or if he uses a machine gun or something like that). So, like a Falcon/Snake fusion.
Since I don't hate clones that much, unless they are simply wrong like Ganondorf, that would be OK with me.

D

Deleted member

Best way to avoid a clone character is to not make them a clone character.

Besides, it wouldn't be the same. With Falcon, he hits people with his car, sends them to a track, and runs them over again.

Mach Bike has Mach riding the bike on the stage while able to shoot down enemies with the bike's machine gun or blast them with missiles from the back of the bike like Melee's Trophy version.

I also hate the idea of him fighting on his bike. I don't care how unique it is; it's stupid to do that to Mach. If we get a Bike-Fu character, make it the damn Excitebiker.

D

Deleted member

Best way to avoid a clone character is to not make them a clone character.

Besides, it wouldn't be the same. With Falcon, he hits people with his car, sends them to a track, and runs them over again.

Mach Bike has Mach riding the bike on the stage while able to shoot down enemies with the bike's machine gun or blast them with missiles from the back of the bike like Melee's Trophy version.

I also hate the idea of him fighting on his bike. I don't care how unique it is; it's stupid to do that to Mach. If we get a Bike-Fu character, make it the damn Excitebiker.
I don't understand this bias as to why the Excitebiker (who has already had negative reception from the creator of the game) should be the only one to use his bike. Kamen Rider uses his bike to fight at times, there's no reason Mach Rider can't do the same. Hell, we could make it a v+B, that way it works as a sort of semi-transformation. His specials change when on the bike, and he becomes a lot faster and long-range focused, however, he can't jump and will be knocked off the bike a la Wario if hit too hard, it also gives him a bigger hit-box. Off the bike, he's essentially a lot like the Capt. but with a blaster and different Kamen Rider-esque moves.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I agree, and that's why I don't see Excitebiker as a character, unless they make a completely new moveset for him like they did for Falcon. Mach Rider could work using guns in my opinion, but Excitebiker has nothing except his bike. But who knows, really.

D

Deleted member

In fact I just got inspired, here's the idea:

I'll mostly use Kamen Rider moves and their names for simplicity.

Mach Rider
B=Blaster, Kamen Rider is a good reference. Shoots the enemy with a beam, similar to Falco's in speed and delay, but it's more "explosiony"

>/<+B=Rider Chop, it's got a very "slashy" animation
http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Rider_Chop

^+B=Rider Kick
http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Rider_Kick
We got plenty of variations to work with, like the Sky Kick for example, especailly since it's ^+B, it's gotta be a recovery move somehow.

v+B=Mach Bike, Mach Rider mounts his Mach Bike.

Other than that, all his Neutrals and Aerials and the like are taken from Kamen Rider as reference, just like C.Falcon, but with obviously, different moves.

FS= Rider Shooting
http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Rider_Shooting

On the Mach Bike:
Mach Rider can't jump, nor do Grabs and Neutral Attacks, he can only move and do Specials, if hit too hard, he gets knocked off. Jumping and v+B dismount the bike. By "can't jump," what I mean is he can't jump with the bike, he can jump off the bike like Wario can.

B=Blasters (from the Bike), he shoots forward with the blasters on his bike, obviously a superior version of his regular Blaster.
>/<+B= Wheelie, Mach Rider does a wheelie on his Mach Bike that hits the enemy, the effect of this move is essentially like a Bull Charge. Both the upward strike and the "falling" hurt the enemy, the downward motion being more like a "crush." More effective while in motion, and it speeds up his "running speed" when doing so.
^+B= Missiles, he fires missiles upward (at a 60* angle) from his Bike.
v+B= Dismount Bike.

Thoughts? I'm thinking of making a support thread for him if there isn't one and posting a whole complete movepool like I did for Lyn. I'm starting to really like this character.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
In fact I just got inspired, here's the idea:

I'll mostly use Kamen Rider moves and their names for simplicity.

Mach Rider
B=Blaster, Kamen Rider is a good reference. Shoots the enemy with a beam, similar to Falco's in speed and delay, but it's more "explosiony"

>/<+B=Rider Chop, it's got a very "slashy" animation
http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Rider_Chop

^+B=Rider Kick
http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Rider_Kick
We got plenty of variations to work with, like the Sky Kick for example, especailly since it's ^+B, it's gotta be a recovery move somehow.

v+B=Mach Bike, Mach Rider mounts his Mach Bike.

Other than that, all his Neutrals and Aerials and the like are taken from Kamen Rider as reference, just like C.Falcon, but with obviously, different moves.

FS= Rider Shooting
http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Rider_Shooting

On the Mach Bike:
Mach Rider can't jump, nor do Grabs and Neutral Attacks, he can only move and do Specials, if hit too hard, he gets knocked off. Jumping and v+B dismount the bike. By "can't jump," what I mean is he can't jump with the bike, he can jump off the bike like Wario can.

B=Blasters (from the Bike), he shoots forward with the blasters on his bike, obviously a superior version of his regular Blaster.
>/<+B= Wheelie, Mach Rider does a wheelie on his Mach Bike that hits the enemy, the effect of this move is essentially like a Bull Charge. Both the upward strike and the "falling" hurt the enemy, the downward motion being more like a "crush." More effective while in motion, and it speeds up his "running speed" when doing so.
^+B= Missiles, he fires missiles upward (at a 60* angle) from his Bike.
v+B= Dismount Bike.

Thoughts? I'm thinking of making a support thread for him if there isn't one and posting a whole complete movepool like I did for Lyn. I'm starting to really like this character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eKHPhFkHo

D

Deleted member

Oh, but the "negative reaction" bullcrap is just that; bullcrap.

It was only an excuse to why Ice Climbers were "better" than Excitebiker. It was more glorifying them than it was demeaning the rest. Especially since Excitebiker's excuse, "ramps would need to be added to every stage" implies he can't jump.
This is coming from the man who made THIS:

EDIT: And then THIS:

D

Deleted member

I have to admit, that is a pretty badass moveset. Not the one I would go with myself, but if that's how he ended up, then I wouldn't complain.
But yeah, there's already a Mach thread, let me get the link.

EDIT: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325643
Cool Beans, guess I'll write up a complete movepool and post it on the thread. If it gets good reception I'll make a video for it, like I plan on doing with Lyn. The key to getting these characters in, in my opinion, is hyping them up, and getting them heard so that they get support. I'll never forget Pokemon Trainer man, that was totally unexpected when I saw it.

How is it that Kamen Rider can be incredibly cheesy, but still incredibly awesome all at the same time?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTembHS14oA

Video related, one of my favorite scenes in recent times.

Oh, but the "negative reaction" bullcrap is just that; bullcrap.

It was only an excuse to why Ice Climbers were "better" than Excitebiker. It was more glorifying them than it was demeaning the rest. Especially since Excitebiker's excuse, "ramps would need to be added to every stage" implies he can't jump.
This is coming from the man who made THIS:

Haha, I suppose, but it's still something to consider. If Sakurai can't picture a character in his game, then it isn't happening. Also, characters with unique "gimmicks" always have some sort of favoritism in Smash, that's why more unique characters usually tend to sit well with fans.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Lastly, if we go by game count alone, Fire Emblem still stands as one of the bigger franchises of Nintendo, surpassing, Metroid, Mother, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and even Donkey Kong (the old DK titles are known as "Mario," and the new Mario Titles are known as "Super Mario," the more you know...).

So, as stated by Shinpichu, out of all the franchises eligible for a new rep (meaning Mario Party doesn't count), Fire Emblem, and Kirby stand side by side as the most "numerous" series after the "Big 3."

That being said, I can see Fire Emblem getting 4 reps.
Advance Wars series is at 14 games, is owned by Nintendo and doesn't have a single representative. I really doubt "amount of games" means anything when it comes to how many characters it gets.

D

Deleted member

Haha, I suppose, but it's still something to consider. If Sakurai can't picture a character in his game, then it isn't happening.
But he never said he can't picture it. He just used the ramps excuse for why Ice Climbers trumped Excitebiker in choosing a NES revival.
Now, I'm not arguing that Excitebiker is likely, as I'm pretty sure his (and the other bikers') place has been decided already in Brawl.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So...uh...hi, I'm Cobalsh, god of chickens, and this is my roster. ... Enjoy.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
DK
Diddy K
Dixie K
King K. Rool
Wario
Yoshi
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf(more OoT-esque moveset)
Ghirahim
Toon Link
Samus/ZSS
Ridley
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B
Pit
Palutena
Takamaru
Kirby
King DDD
Meta Knight
Bandana Dee
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh
Pikachu
Female Pokemon Trainer(Blaziken, Grovyle, Mudkip)
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ike
Ness
Little Mac
Starfy
Rayman
Pac-Man

Rate this.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I don't really get why someone would have a character like Bandana Dee in their roster and not Toad. Toad has a much bigger and longer history and is half of the cast in the NSMB series. Any argument given in favor of Bandana Dee is even more true for Toad.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Maybe it's because people think that Toad wouldn't work at all, which is not exactly true to begin with. Technically every character can work out in the end with a little effort.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Made a realistic roster! Or at least close of what we might get in the actual game. I included all the characters that are highly requested and are relevant to past games in some way. Zoroark is a place for 5th Gen Pokemon rep (so I'm not really supporting him but I'm expecting a 5th Gen representator)

Rate, please!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I really doubt Dixie will replace Diddy Kong
And so would I, really. I didn't notice I had clipped him out during messing around with stuff.

Anyway, here's the one with Diddy.

And now put in Zelda now instead of Zelda + Sheik. I'm still wondering would Sakurai go so far as to include Sheik AGAIN without messing the idea behind SS-Zelda's character, who definitely wouldn't be using Sheikah-form. They got away with it in TP but here I bet it would just overshadow Zelda too much if they use the SS-one. I'd suggest Impa but at the end I don't want to start a huge debate, so here, only Zelda. It's up to Sakurai who'll be her second form.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
And so would I, really. I didn't notice I had clipped him out during messing around with stuff.

And now put in Zelda now instead of Zelda + Sheik. I'm still wondering would Sakurai go so far as to include Sheik AGAIN without messing the idea behind SS-Zelda's character, who definitely wouldn't be using Sheikah-form. They got away with it in TP but here I bet it would just overshadow Zelda too much if they use the SS-one. I'd suggest Impa but at the end I don't want to start a huge debate, so here, only Zelda. It's up to Sakurai who'll be her second form.
Ah i see. Well good thing you cleared up the entire Diddy Kong thing.

As for Zelda, there is the possibility that Shiek was planned for SS but was removed like in Twilight Princess. (because it doesn't make much sense given the plot) So who knows.

D

Deleted member

Snake? Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom