• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Except you can't apply that to Sakurai as far as Smash goes. Every game in the series has been well liked, sold well, had rave reviews and is played long after release. The whining of a small group of competitive Smash players doesn't tarnish Sakurai's name.

Brawl was mediocre by Smash standards. Nuff said. It may not tarnish his name, but in contrast it's still relatively meh.

Take this for example, Skyrim is the most well liked and popular in the TES series, however is it the best? Not according to fans of the series, many argue Morrowind and Daggerfall are much better.

Same thing really.

You don't need to defend Sakurai's name like that, it's not like he's gonna come to your house and give you a blowjob play Smash Bros with you, for defending his honor. Also, Sakurai is in charge of the Kirby series and some of the titles in that have been lackluster.

On Mario and Miyamotto, I feel that Miyamotto plays a large role in making the Mario Platformers what they are. He's credited with being a good developer and is considered a genius in the industry, straightening up groups such as Retro Studios and the like and making them successful. How much of this is true, well who knows really.

Still, I think the Mario Platformer series has been fantastic barring the NSMB and 3D Land series. I feel like crediting Miyamotto in that is fair. I would say Sunshine, 64, World and SMB3 have been the best produced yet, Galaxy 1 and 2 were good, but too easy, especially compared to Sunshine, and they laked the freedom of movement provided by 64, where there were dozens of ways to get the same stars.

D

Deleted member

I humbly think Brawl was better than Melee...

I earnestly disagree, but feel you are entitled to your own opinion and humbly respect it.

As a side note I should mentioned that I think Miyamotto is good at making Mario platformers, and has good ideas and creative knowledge about game design, but at the same time should stay away from RPGs and story-telling.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Concepts of good and bad are entirely subjective. Arguing over which game is better is just like watching those sport debates on TV at night, a bunch of people discussing trivial subjects, unworthy of such heated arguments. Sane people would be better using their brains on something more important, but I digress...

I may hate many things in the world, but you don't see me whining (notable exception: stupidity).

Melee and Brawl were both good games and I have fond memories of both. That's why I'm looking forward to SSB4.

Even if my favorite characters don't make it to the roster or something, I'll just accept it and enjoy the game for what it is: a source of entertainment. I've done this for Brawl and I will do it again this time: I will consider all possibilities precisely as what they are.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Is everyone boycotting the Roster Maker or what?
Nope. Actually, I'm trying to use it, but my stupid computer needs to filter it, and I have no idea what to do. When I tried it with V.3.0, I failed, and couldn't change the filter. I Don't want to screw up again.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Nope. Actually, I'm trying to use it, but my stupid computer needs to filter it, and I have no idea what to do. When I tried it with V.3.0, I failed, and couldn't change the filter. I Don't want to screw up again.
It might be your antivirus. Just choose to start it normally if you can.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Nope, I can't. Aparently, I can only filter though any program I currently have.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
What are the current standings of what people believe are most likely? I like to ask every once in a while, people tend to change it up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What are the current standings of what people believe are most likely? I like to ask every once in a while, people tend to change it up.
Ridley
K. Rool
Mewtwo
Mega Man
Palutena
Takamaru
Little Mac
Isaac
Shulk
Roy
Chrom
One out of Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi
Maybe Pac-Man

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Is everyone boycotting the Roster Maker or what?
Well, I'm in Ubuntu right now and I'm to lazy to switch to windows, so I'm waiting to see if I can get it to work under Wine.

Say, could you maybe release Linux or OSX distros?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Ridley
K. Rool
Mewtwo
Palutena
Takamaru
Little Mac
Chrom
Above are the people I'm sure of. Below are wishful thinking. (Not likely/Below average/Assist trophy potential/not getting in)
Dillon
Megaman
Paper Mario
Zoroark/Blaziken
Dark Samus

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I keep seeing that "we have no idea who's likely" because people think there are no obvious characters to add. But in all honestly, I think this mentality is a product of people manufacturing reasons to dismiss every single character deemed "likely." Case in point, "Ridley would be likely, but he's too big...," "Little Mac would be likely, but he has no moveset potential...," etc.

It's very succinct to say that "there are no obvious additions," but I think we've honed our speculation enough to identify at least a handful of very likely candidates.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I keep seeing that "we have no idea who's likely" because people think there are no obvious characters to add. But in all honestly, I think this mentality is a product of people manufacturing reasons to dismiss every single character deemed "likely." Case in point, "Ridley would be likely, but he's too big...," "Little Mac would be likely, but he has no moveset potential...," etc.

It's very succinct to say that "there are no obvious additions," but I think we've honed our speculation enough to identify at least a handful of very likely candidates.
Pretty sure that it stems from the fact that people are just plain bored with waiting for actual news. It's kinda like being nervous 5 minutes before you take that big test that you studied all night for.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Well, I'm in Ubuntu right now and I'm to lazy to switch to windows, so I'm waiting to see if I can get it to work under Wine.

Say, could you maybe release Linux or OSX distros?
I think it could work on Ubuntu. Try following the instructions in the "Readme" file.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think it could work on Ubuntu. Try following the instructions in the "Readme" file.
Thanks a bunch! Didn't work at first, but that was because I was launching from the dist folder. Worked when I actually followed the directions.

Edit: Your roster maker lacks Robin(from Fire Emblem). Could you fix that?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Brawl was mediocre by Smash standards. Nuff said. It may not tarnish his name, but in contrast it's still relatively meh.

Take this for example, Skyrim is the most well liked and popular in the TES series, however is it the best? Not according to fans of the series, many argue Morrowind and Daggerfall are much better.

Same thing really.

You don't need to defend Sakurai's name like that, it's not like he's gonna come to your house and give you a blowjob play Smash Bros with you, for defending his honor. Also, Sakurai is in charge of the Kirby series and some of the titles in that have been lackluster.
There is no defense for that point.

Brawl outsold Melee
Brawl had just as high or higher review than Melee
Brawl was the most played Wii game 2-3 years after launch.

There is no backing to that claim. Competitive players thought it was bad because it's not Melee. They also happen to be the most vocal group. Everyone else thought Brawl was an improvement and the facts show this.

I'm tired of this fake reality of the competitive Smash community.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Picked up Melee/an actual Smash game for the first time in a couple months yesterday and I found myself wondering this, so out of curiosity, not trying to start any flame wars, but what are some of the negative aspects of Melee (besides it being too hard)? Wasn't around to see all of the issues people had with Melee Pre-Brawl, with all of the "praise" it gets around here I would think there would still be something Sakurai messed up on (he's apparently an "idiot" after all) or is Melee really that perfect?
I'm looking forward to hearing your answer.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Reddit is eating this poll alive. 380 ~

Megaman [Capcom] 209
Mewtwo [Pokemon] 207
Ridley [ Metroid] 176
King K. Rool [Donkey Kong] 175
Little Mac [Punch Out] 147
Isaac [Golden Sun] 135
Palutena [Kid Icarus] 119
Shulk [Xenoblade] 115
Roy [Fire Emblem] 103
Takamaru [Murasame Castle] 99
Ghirahim [Legend Of Zelda] 97
Waluigi [Super Mario]92
Bowser Junior [Super Mario] 85
Zoroark [Pokemon] 81
Pac - Man [Namco] 75
Toad [Super Mario]74
Krom [Fire Emblem] 74
Geno [Square Enix] 72
Dixie Kong [Donkey Kong] 69
Samurai Goroh [F-Zero]66
Saki [Sin & Punishment] 66
Krystal [StarFox]65
Bandana Dee [Kirby] 39
Black Shadow [F-Zero] 38
Mona [WarioWare] 37

Right off the bat, you can see some obvious changes from the last poll results. Megaman and Mewtwo jumped the gun and hit the top two spots. There's a distinct number of votes between the red group and th orange group. King K. Rool and Ridley are practically tied, BUT, even they have a decent amount more votes than Isaac and Little Mac. In the green group Takamaru seems to be statnanet (not gaining much votes) while Ghirahim, Waluigi, Junior, and Zoroark are soaring. In the blue group we See pretty much all of them tied. there is 10 votes between Pac-Man and Krystal. Geno has moved up in the world, and Goroh and Dixie have fallen. This is reddit people. Purple group is always these three. At least Geno finally moved out of the group.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There is no defense for that point.

Brawl outsold Melee
Brawl had just as high or higher review than Melee
Brawl was the most played Wii game 2-3 years after launch.

There is no backing to that claim. Competitive players thought it was bad because it's not Melee. They also happen to be the most vocal group. Everyone else thought Brawl was an improvement and the facts show this.

Someone has spoken the truth, at long last.

The ignorant will only be such if they choose to remain in the cave and believe nonsense such as object shadows being able to speak.

Also, I'd like to quote my own opinion from a post I made not to long ago...
Concepts of good and bad are entirely subjective. Arguing over which game is better is just like watching those sport debates on TV at night, a bunch of people discussing trivial subjects, unworthy of such heated arguments. Sane people would be better using their brains on something more important, but I digress...

I may hate many things in the world, but you don't see me whining (notable exception: stupidity).

Melee and Brawl were both good games and I have fond memories of both. That's why I'm looking forward to SSB4.

Even if my favorite characters don't make it to the roster or something, I'll just accept it and enjoy the game for what it is: a source of entertainment. I've done this for Brawl and I will do it again this time: I will consider all possibilities precisely as what they are.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
My top 7

Roy
Roy
Roy
Roy
Roy
Roy
7th place could be Roy or Roy. I could see either/or.

Of course this could change once we get more news. But I believe these characters are the most likely atm.

Jk.

@Shortie Thanks for the poll results. It's always interesting to compare results from different places.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Mewtwo and Megaman have the added benefits of having been cut from the Smash title people are arguably most nostalgic about and being third-party, respectively. K. Rool and Ridley are both massively popular villains from franchises people desperately want to see represented more in Smash. It's no surprise to see both pairs of characters consistently lumped together and near the top of polls.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Competitive players thought it was bad because it's not Melee.
-Assuming all competitive players hate Brawl.
-Assuming all competitive players are Melee purists.

Everyone else thought Brawl was an improvement and the facts show this.
Most casual fans who think that Brawl is 'better' than Melee do so because Brawl has more content in it. Most seem to think that the only difference between the two is that "Brawl has more stuff", there fore Brawl is better.

Really? Because I'm tired of your dumb*** hate campaign against competitive Smash. I'm tired of you parroting Brawl's meagre sales improvements. I'm tired of that bullsh*t false dichotomy you keep pushing. And I'm tired of you portraying the entire casual Smash community as insecure scrubs.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Better idea:

Elbert's father
Elbert
Eliwood
Roy
Roy's son
Roy's Grandson
Troll
Nope.
Roy's Great grandson
Roy's Great Great Great Great Great Great Granddaughter
A bandit
That guy who died on the first mission
Marth's Uncle
Waluigi
Igglybuff

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Even better idea:
Shadow Mario
Mr. L
Dark Link
Dark Samus
Dark Pit
Dark Meta Knight
Blood Falcon

All clones, no exception.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Even better idea:
Shadow Mario
Mr. L
Dark Link
Dark Samus
Dark Pit
Dark Meta Knight
Blood Falcon

All clones
Lol. I actually made a moveset for every single one of them except Dark Meta Knight. It's Galaxia Knight instead. And I added Metal Mario.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's because it's possible to have characters with merely color swapped models but still with different movesets. Faith in humanity restored a little.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Exactly. For example, Blood Falcon uses Captain Falcon's smashes from 64. Little things like that. He also incorperates a bit of Ganondorf in him. Then Metal Mario, on the other hand, just uses a different array of punches and kicks. Bland, yes, but still unique.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm looking forward to hearing your answer.
Melee is an awesome game (they all are), but it's broken for sure. Characters are either amazing or awful. Also, there are 6 clone characters so the cast can feel kind of samey. It's hard to move back from Brawl because it has so much.

All the Smash games are good. I'm just against this cult mentality that Brawl is somehow a bad game. I hope you enjoy Melee. Worth it for Roy, Mewtwo and Doc.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh you guys. x)

But I wouldn't mind playing as Blood Falcon. Always liked him better than the Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom