• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kirby's Hat is also very similar to Fat Impa's headwrap.

Impa > Toon Zelda

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do not like the idea of a futuristic Zelda to that degree. I would just like to see better development of overworlds and a focus there in the next Zelda. OOT was to dungeon focused but had an amazing story line. Problem is there wasn't much of a world to explore. I think Zelda is heading in the right direction.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well a couple things on that. In regard to courtship, that's one thing I gotta praise about Japan. Not to bring up a flame war, but in some countries Feminism certainly has gone overboard. I still like the idea of women being Feminine in nature and having Feminine traits. Japanese culture in that regard still hasn't been "corrupted" per say. From what I hear, Valentines Day is backwards in Japan, women court the men they like.
Learn something new with all this. I'd actually like to be in a situation where the girl asks me out and is NOT underage.

This isn't also the "oh, lonely nerd who's never gotten laid complaining" type scenario, as my life and experience with women has been quite the opposite, especially here in Spain where I'm seen as "exotic." It's just, none of the girls I've dated have been what I'd call "the ideal" or wife-material, and a lot of it stems from modern culture being so materialist and liberal. People are just too selfish and expect to get what they want even if they don't particularly deserve it and with little to no effort. And will take action based on instant gratification and YOLO with little regard for the future. I include both men and women, and myself in this statement. However, being aware of this and working to change it makes a huge difference. That's not to insult the girls I've been with or anything either, most of them were just normal girls, but the majority of people are easily swayed into making dumb ****ing decisions. Especially with all the 'freedoms' we have today. It simply begs the question, if freedom a necessity? And how much freedom is too much?
The entitlement complex HAS gotten pretty bad, but as you said, if you're aware of it and working on it, you're ahead of everyoe else.
In that regard, I'm not exactly calling Japan a Utopia of pure women, as it's certainly not, but like Mexico, its culture has led its people especially its women to be more prudent. It's just a matter of numbers and probability, you're more likely to meet a decent person in a culture that places social restraints on its people than on one that does not.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ain't there been a very big talk I managed to miss! (Again)

But yeah, I have to wholeheartedly agree with you all people around here about the state of Mario-games and Zelda-games. Paper Mario: Sticker Star's development story and what it came to be like at the end had me furious for few days, seriously. Ranting didn't really end from my point back when I was in Tumblr.
It was also the time when I truly knew Miyamoto's best to keep in his OWN THING, and he's not a saving grace to every game he's going to make (almost completely opposite there, actually.).
And I didn't even bother buying any other Mario-games after MK7, which just was there for it's online mode (and Maka Wuhu Glitch Jumps, though that has been removed now)

Skyward Sword, I mostly kept on playing due observing and experiencing that Zelda-charm and the fantasy-themes. But damn, the overworld is pretty barren and small beyond believe, really. Skyloftians can just keep living up in their world because their land down there is pretty much pointless to trek through.

And **** TO HELL WITH THE MOTION CONTROLS! It's just unprecise, seriously. Sword-fighting is so hard and so is using the items because the motion can go whack at times, so I have to center it a lot. Still, it feels like I'm not really in complete control of what I want to do. And if anything, they make even the most ordinary things a chore.
Like, compare swimming sections in Skyward Sword to Super Mario Galaxy. (Actually I remember this being my most biggest reason of being skeptic towards Wii when it was shown, because of the whole concept of motion controls. It always rubbed me in the wrong way.)

And Goddess's Harp-scenarios are ear-gritting and just sounds freaking unnatural. It has to be the most worst instrument in the series so far.

Also Minish Cap, my childhood Zelda-game as well, not liked well in Japan? Uuugh.

Vaati will always be my fave Zelda-villain over anyone else though.

But really, lately I haven't really laid any interest on Mario-games due what has become to the series lately. Fire Emblem has though kept me very busy and interested, so I'll just stick to that and see what happens. (Boy I'm glad it's one of the series which is so different from other Nintendo's franchises for not being really "kiddy"-themed and devoid of story or interesting characters. Awakening also seems to bump up the humor to even crazier levels as I've seen.

Here's a hoping Luigi's Year gives us a change of pace. (heeheeheeEggmanheeheehee)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You wanna know what my theory on this whole thing is? No one's really trying to challenge Miyamoto. Hell, this could've happened with Sakurai and Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
On the first page I posted something that said "Thumbs up if you agree", and I just got a like. Close enough

Little does the liker know I was being facetious because you couldn't like back then

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Japan hated Trigun? Never knew that

About the Mario games, honestly I haven't really cared about Mario platformers since Super Mario Sunshine

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I actually never had that many problems with the motion controls in SS. I guess it's just a thing that varies from person to person...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maybe. (-l´l);

But I still favour more analogue controlling methods over anything motion-based. No really, I can't ever trust motion control unless it is in small bits (like waggle for spins in Mario Galaxy, but not definitely for DKCR which asks for more precision and is much harder game.)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Maybe. (-l´l);

But I still favour more analogue controlling methods over anything motion-based. No really, I can't ever trust motion control unless it is in small bits (like waggle for spins in Mario Galaxy, but not definitely for DKCR which asks for more precision and is much harder game.)
I have to agree with you on DKCR ar least, IMO there should have been an option for CC support.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this is old, but the DLC map for Awakening that has Roy's forces vs. Ike's is called "Smash Brethren" outside Japan.
Very clever, Nintendo, very clever.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You wanna know what my theory on this whole thing is? No one's really trying to challenge Miyamoto. Hell, this could've happened with Sakurai and Brawl.
What do you mean by challenge? Like develop a platformer to compete with Mario?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What do you mean by challenge? Like develop a platformer to compete with Mario?
You ever watch the Red Letter Media videos on the Star Wars prequels? They have a good example of what I think Kuma is getting at. Basically, Miyamoto has so much clout at Nintendo that when he suggests an idea, even if it's a bad one, there's nobody there that's willing to speak out against him. I hope that makes sense.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nintendo's localization team never ceases to amaze me. When I saw the trailer and noticed that the originally called "Red vs. Blue" (featuring Roy and Ike's armies) maps were translated as "Smash Brethren," I loled.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Again cashing in Smash Bros's fame, eh?

No really, For some reason something dies in me everytime something is promoted by Smash Bros's fame. (Maybe it's my Flying Men)

Maybe because it's been overdone to death nowadays b and also makes me fear it overthrows out Nintendo's franchises unblessed by Smash Bros in general. And can seriously cripple the impression people want to get out from certain franchises. (F-Zero is practically a living zombie franchise led by Captain Falcon Punch. )

It'd be even worse if it manage to polarize Nintendo to work seriouslly only on franchises that were featured majorly in Smash Bros as we're seeing even less retail franchises.
I just hope it's just a dumb mindset of mine at the end, though.

But PLEASE. when I want to play Fire Emblem, I want to play Fire Emblem. Not Smash Bros being shoehorned into Fire Emblem because "see this has those two lords from Smash Bros games now go out there and see them duke it out." It pretty much eats up the feel of me playing a FIRE EMBLEM-game and now just tries to make it some Smash Bros-themed thing again.

Can't we please not be reminded of Smash Bros everytime we play a Nintendo-game!? It's sickening me out.

ShinPichu: Exactly. If I remember correctly, I've even heard rumors of Miyamoto hitting tables loudly in one discussion where someone (MAYBE) questioned his ideas. But rumors are rumors. Though I can believe that since now he's seen now as such a huge gamer deity and whatever, it's no wonder people can't really speak back against him.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not sure if this is old, but the DLC map for Awakening that has Roy's forces vs. Ike's is called "Smash Brethren" outside Japan.
Just got back from class and I'm already LMAO.

Anyway Roy and Ike confirmed. :troll: (just imagine that the troll face is there)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You ever watch the Red Letter Media videos on the Star Wars prequels? They have a good example of what I think Kuma is getting at. Basically, Miyamoto has so much clout at Nintendo that when he suggests an idea, even if it's a bad one, there's nobody there that's willing to speak out against him. I hope that makes sense.
This is exactly what I was getting at. This is an extreme case of Creator Worship that needs to be addressed. People place way too much into developers based solely on the name. With the case of Miyamoto, most of his achievements were quite a while back while he has mostly taken a backseat with things. Even then, things like Wii Music and the more recent Mario games have been rather plain with his directions for reasons unknown.

Likewise, this can easily apply to Sakurai and Smash. People placed so much faith in the guy for Brawl that no one really contested his design decisions.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Wonderin how that'd be so... Would it be like what Miyamoto did with Sticker Star, by making a very good developer team do something they aren't very good at or is out-of-character to them and thus, produces game that will only please "casuals"/one type of audience?

I sincerely wish it wouldn't be so though in the future.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A coincidence?

Maybe. But then again, maybe not. Nintendo is at least acknowledging that Roy and Ike's success in Smash Bros (then again, when have they not?) and hopefully this means that we will get both back. Although at the same time this could just be a funny cameo, kind of like the whole 'Smash' conversation in Uprising.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wonderin how that'd be so... Would it be like what Miyamoto did with Sticker Star, by making a very good developer team do something they aren't very good at or is out-of-character to them and thus, produces game that will only please "casuals"/one type of audience?

I sincerely wish it wouldn't be so though in the future.
This would explain a lot too. Intelligent System is easily the most story oriented of the in-house Nitnendo developers and to see a complete 180 on their design explains the "simplistic" nature of Sticker Star. The fact that you need a handful of "things" to beat each boss tells me this was their first time shifting the focus like this as the game is simply too easy and that I'm looking to sell it as soon as I finish it. Honestly, I've started to become more skeptical of Mario games as of late thought 3D Land was a step in the right direction.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I gotta yet wonder if to try out 3D Land. So far it seems like a tech demo Mario 3D-game made into a retail game... Might get it when the price drops on.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mario game prices like that never drop, at least not in retail stores.

Mario 64 DS is still full price at Walmart

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I gotta yet wonder if to try out 3D Land. So far it seems like a tech demo Mario 3D-game made into a retail game... Might get it when the price drops on.
It's alright. It's basically a 2D Mario game, but in 3D. It has the same powerup system as a 2D game and the levels are linear like a 2D game. It also follows the same level design formula that the NSMB games do.

Boomerang suit is cool though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well I found one with about 40 Euros once, so I might get that one. (-òvó-)

Okay- Kinda reminds me of Crash Bandicoot with those levels at times.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Now that you mention it, it IS like Crash Bandicoot.

Damn, Mario needs to get his **** together. Look at all the stuff Luigi does.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lol, I guess I'm not alone.

Also Mario Kart Wii and 7 borrowing jump boosts from Crash Team Racing.

But yeah, Mario's not really being the face of innovation at this rate. (-´v`-)

I gotta admit though, if we were ever to even say "Mario's stagnating" or anything like that to puristis, we'd be blasphemed all the time.

Also APRIL 19NTH SHOULD COME QUICKER FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING'S KILLING ME WITH WAITING

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There have been a couple Mario game here and there that I've enjoyed, my main problem is the staleness of the New Super Mario Bros. Series. On the bright side though, with the exception of Galaxy 2 and the original games, there's been a focus to make sure that there's only one 2d and 3d Mario title per system, with the 3DS out of the way, we only have one more core Mario title to go before we go dry for a couple years.

Anyway I personally still want to see a game that mixes SMB based levels with DDP based levels, complete with multiple characters to play as. A new Wario Land would also be good to see.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is exactly what I was getting at. This is an extreme case of Creator Worship that needs to be addressed. People place way too much into developers based solely on the name. With the case of Miyamoto, most of his achievements were quite a while back while he has mostly taken a backseat with things. Even then, things like Wii Music and the more recent Mario games have been rather plain with his directions for reasons unknown.

Likewise, this can easily apply to Sakurai and Smash. People placed so much faith in the guy for Brawl that no one really contested his design decisions.
Except you can't apply that to Sakurai as far as Smash goes. Every game in the series has been well liked, sold well, had rave reviews and is played long after release. The whining of a small group of competitive Smash players doesn't tarnish Sakurai's name.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
When it comes to 3D platformers. Pacman World 2 was amazing. 3 was pretty bad though. I want another Pacman world game, more like the second one. Mario Galaxy never really snagged my interest like Mario 64 or Sunshine, and I believe the galaxy series should end at two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom