• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I'd say that the Donkey Kong series is actually overdue on some representation. King K. Rool is considered a shoe-in by many, due to his significance and his popularity, and Dixie Kong is pretty popular as well. She probably wouldn't be a basic model-swap of Diddy, similar to Melee clones, if she is even a clone at all. Plus, her ponytail alone gives her a pretty big amount of abilities that are unique to Diddy (Ponytail Helicopter recovery, grabbing things and attacking, etc.). The Donkey Kong series is no doubt deserving of two new characters...

Wario suffers from the same problems that plague the Yoshi series, and therefore will probably not receive newcomers any time soon. Others have already mentioned this.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i wouldn't really mind any series in the game getting two reps, but only if every series that needs a rep/new series gets a new rep first. However, i'm leaning towards being ok with DK getting two. But K.Rool would have to be one of them, and at least one of my most wanted characters would have to get in (Paper Mario, Ghirahim, Shulk)

I'm just being like that because if the roster isn't expanding as much, I would feel better if more series' got a new rep, rather than one series getting two. So think of it this way:

Added characters:
Mario: Bowser Jr./Waluigi/whoever + Paper Mario (max I would want to see)
Zelda: I honestly only want Ghirahim
DK: K. Rool AND Dixie. I really only want K.Rool but i wouldn't mind Dixie
Metroid: Ridley. nuff said
F-Zero: I could see ONE REP if another game is released. But if they get one, then hopefully Goroh
Pokemon: Mewtwo. nuff said
Fire Emblem: Roy

New Series:
Shulk, Isaac, Third Party rep (probably only 1), Takamaru, Little Mac, Mach Rider, etc

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm so hoping for a Yoshi rep this time around. I mean, I kind of consider Goroh as a shoo-in, and that would mean every player from the original 12 will have a second rep except for good ol' Yoshi. I will most certainly be unhappy if Yoshi doesn't get another rep in smash 4, and I'd go as far to say distraught if he doesn't get one in smash 5. If there isn't one in smash 5 (and possibly smash 4) I'm writing Sakurai a letter! Also, smasher master, Shy guy is considered by many a Yoshi character (by others Mario, I know, I know) so I'd add him to the list. Any baby other than baby bros would definitely be a joke character (except possibly baby bowser, since he is actually the secondary antagonist), but I think Kamek has a pretty good chance, and so do baby bros..

@venus, I'd hardly call Kamek unimportant, he is bowser's care-taker, though I have no proof he would most likely take over the koopa troop if both Bowser and junior died before him, he has featured in every mario RPG to date, the main protagonist in every Yoshi series game to date. He is seriously NOT unimportant. It is also speculated that it was he who constructed the plot in the galaxy series, due to him having that bit in the opening.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Definitely do not expect another Yoshi character. Yoshi's own series has not had a game since before Brawl, and that general time was probably Yoshi's best chance at seeing a new character. Even then, the chances were extremely slim. The main reason is basically because Yoshi is so closely related to Mario that his series is often considered a mere extension of the Super Mario series. The Yoshi's Island series is a simple spin-off, associating Yoshi more closely with the Mario series than his own.

And you can't use Wario or Donkey Kong as a counter to this, and here is why: Both Donkey Kong's series and (both of) Wario's series have completely distinguished themselves from anything Mario related. They introduce an entire cast of new characters, completely new scenarios, completely new locations, and just an overall different feel. Yoshi's Island games take place in locations that are reminiscent of Mario games or are pulled stright from Mario games, and contains characters and enemies that had origins and share appearances in the Mario series. Even Mario, Peach, and Bowser themselves are characters in Yoshi's Island (but as babies, of course).

jigglover said:
@venus, I'd hardly call Kamek unimportant, he is bowser's care-taker, though I have no proof he would most likely take over the koopa troop if both Bowser and junior died before him, he has featured in every mario RPG to date, the main protagonist in every Yoshi series game to date. He is seriously NOT unimportant. It is also speculated that it was he who constructed the plot in the galaxy series, due to him having that bit in the opening.
He's relatively unimportant. While being Bowser's caretaker as well as potentially taking over the Koopa Troop and constructing the plot in the Galaxy series (neither of which have any proof, by the way, making it further irrelevant) is important to the storyline, true importance is measured in overall role and appearance within the series and games, including both spin-off and platformers. Characters like Bowser Jr. and Toad are far more important due to their overall significance and their number of appearances within both types of the games. Kamek is more important to the Yoshi series, and I've already explained why a Yoshi character is pretty unlikely.

Also, check your facts. Every single Mario RPG? He was only confirmed to be present in ONE (arguably TWO) out of the SEVEN. All other Magikoopa appearances were never confirmed Kameks.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well no series is likely to get two reps (unless they cut a character from the game.)

The only reason why I think Wario may get another rep is because he has 2 series and there are his minor games such as Wario's woods and Wario Blast! Featuring Bomberman. They are about eqaul to the amount of DK games.

:phone:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Both King K. Rool and Dixie have been major characters within the Donkey Kong franchise and has appeared in numerous Mario spinoffs. Regardless if either one get in, it's wont be because of franchise representation distribution but because they earned the right to be included in the roster. To my knowledge, Some of the more major minor Wario characters have yet to attain the level of popularity and iconic status of those two.

There are really only two series I see getting two newcomers: Donkey Kong and Metroid. Of the other franchises with only one rep, The only ones that seems likely is Kid Icarus and F-Zero.

D

Deleted member

The only two series that I can logically see get two Newcomers are Donkey Kong and Kid Icarus.
Donkey Kong, because both Dixie and K. Rool have earned their places, and Kid Icarus for the sole fact that this is probably the last time Sakurai has to work with the characters for years to come.

However, I can also see Kid Icarus getting only one, or even none. With Donkey Kong, I see it getting at least one.

Anything else (not counting a returning veteran AND a newcomer, like say, Mewtwo and a 5th Gen, or Roy and Krom) is wishful thinking.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Well no series is likely to get two reps (unless they cut a character from the game.)

The only reason why I think Wario may get another rep is because he has 2 series and there are his minor games such as Wario's woods and Wario Blast! Featuring Bomberman. They are about eqaul to the amount of DK games.

Characters aren't included based on the number of games in their series. If that was the case, we wouldn't have two MOTHER characters, Star Fox and F-Zero would have about the same number of characters, Donkey Kong would have more characters, and Mario would have more characters than both Pokemon and Zelda.

The thing about Donkey Kong is that not only does it deserve two newcomers but its two most likely newcomers are both pretty popular, and the series is pretty popular and significant as a whole. Wario characters lack the popularity and significance of Donkey Kong characters.

I can see Donkey Kong getting two new characters, easy. The only others that I think are possible are Mario and Pokemon (Mewtwo and Zoroark) but I'm still a bit skeptical about those.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
In a position to get 2:
Mario(do I even need to list)
DK(Dixie and K.Rool)
Kid Icarus(although more likely just Palutena)
Pokemon(?)
Fire Emblem(Krom and Roy maybe)
F-Zero(although more likely just Goroh)

jigglover

Smash Lord
Definitely do not expect another Yoshi character. Yoshi's own series has not had a game since before Brawl, and that general time was probably Yoshi's best chance at seeing a new character. Even then, the chances were extremely slim. The main reason is basically because Yoshi is so closely related to Mario that his series is often considered a mere extension of the Super Mario series. The Yoshi's Island series is a simple spin-off, associating Yoshi more closely with the Mario series than his own.

And you can't use Wario or Donkey Kong as a counter to this, and here is why: Both Donkey Kong's series and (both of) Wario's series have completely distinguished themselves from anything Mario related. They introduce an entire cast of new characters, completely new scenarios, completely new locations, and just an overall different feel. Yoshi's Island games take place in locations that are reminiscent of Mario games or are pulled stright from Mario games, and contains characters and enemies that had origins and share appearances in the Mario series. Even Mario, Peach, and Bowser themselves are characters in Yoshi's Island (but as babies, of course).

He's relatively unimportant. While being Bowser's caretaker as well as potentially taking over the Koopa Troop and constructing the plot in the Galaxy series (neither of which have any proof, by the way, making it further irrelevant) is important to the storyline, true importance is measured in overall role and appearance within the series and games, including both spin-off and platformers. Characters like Bowser Jr. and Toad are far more important due to their overall significance and their number of appearances within both types of the games. Kamek is more important to the Yoshi series, and I've already explained why a Yoshi character is pretty unlikely.

Also, check your facts. Every single Mario RPG? He was only confirmed to be present in ONE (arguably TWO) out of the SEVEN. All other Magikoopa appearances were never confirmed Kameks.
Spydr, Baby mario, Luigi,Peach, Bowser, DK and Wario are entirely different characters, as proved in bowser's inside story (or one of the RPGs), since I've never seen Mario hold himself before. Numerous spin-offs prove exactly this as well for obvious reasons. I have proof that he is Bowser's caretaker and right-hand man, I'll see if I can find the article. Also, spin-offs and platformers are just fan terms are they not? A mario game is a mario game is a mario game. It does take place in the mushroom kingdom, but on the yoshis island, where a mario game has never been.

D

Deleted member

The game was Partners in Time, and by title alone mentions that it involves TIME TRAVEL.

Or what, if I were to suddenly go into the past to when I was a baby, my past baby self counts as a seperate person entirely?

And Miyamoto confirmed that the Yoshi games are part of the Mario series. So game over; you lose.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Spydr, Baby mario, Luigi,Peach, Bowser, DK and Wario are entirely different characters, as proved in bowser's inside story (or one of the RPGs), since I've never seen Mario hold himself before. Numerous spin-offs prove exactly this as well for obvious reasons. I have proof that he is Bowser's caretaker and right-hand man, I'll see if I can find the article. Also, spin-offs and platformers are just fan terms are they not? A mario game is a mario game is a mario game. It does take place in the mushroom kingdom, but on the yoshis island, where a mario game has never been.
1) They're not entirely separate characters. Baby Mario grows up to be Mario, Baby Luigi grows up to be Luigi, etc. Time Travel explains everything.

2) I KNOW he is Bowser's caretaker. I was talking about the two other things you mentioned (Kamek would take over the throne, he is responsible for galaxy's plot). There is no proof for those.

3) And no, spin-offs and platformers are not just fan terms. They're all Mario games, sure, but some are platformers and some are spin-offs. They can be further divided beyond that as well. If you still won't accept that (why you wouldn't is beyond me), than fine; other characters have appeared in more MARIO (YOSHI) GAMES more often and with more significance to the series and are therefore more important than Kamek. Kamek is still relatively unimportant.

4) Yoshi's Island was a location in the first Super Mario World (a Mario game) silly head.

My point still stands. The Yoshi series is virtually indistinguishable from the Mario series unlike Donkey Kong and WarioWare/Land. For that reason, and because there are literally no "Yoshi characters" that have big enough support and that aren't also Mario characters, don't expect any Yoshi newcomers for quite a while.

jigglover said:
Sakurai appears to disagree! :D But you seemed to ignore my points on spin-offs...
He probably changed his mind... :troll:

Anyway, since when do you care what Sakurai thinks/says?

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Spydr/Golden: I don't even know why you're arguing with this guy, he's just pulling another Impa, but even then at least Diddy got his facts somewhat straightened out.

4) Yoshi's Island was a location in the first Super Mario World (a Mario game) silly head.
Ironically it's appeared in more Mario games than Yoshi games. lol

jigglover

Smash Lord
1) They're not entirely separate characters. Baby Mario grows up to be Mario, Baby Luigi grows up to be Luigi, etc. Time Travel explains everything.

2) I KNOW he is Bowser's caretaker. I was talking about the two other things you mentioned (Kamek would take over the throne, he is responsible for galaxy's plot). There is no proof for those.

3) And no, spin-offs and platformers are not just fan terms. They're all Mario games, sure, but some are platformers and some are spin-offs. They can be further divided beyond that as well. If you still won't accept that (why you wouldn't is beyond me), than fine; other characters have appeared in more MARIO (YOSHI) GAMES more often and with more significance to the series and are therefore more important than Kamek. Kamek is still relatively unimportant.

My point still stands. The Yoshi series is virtually indistinguishable from the Mario series unlike Donkey Kong and WarioWare/Land. For that reason, and because there are literally no "Yoshi characters" that have big enough support and that aren't also Mario characters, don't expect any Yoshi newcomers for quite a while.

He probably changed his mind... :troll:

Anyway, since when do you care what Sakurai thinks/says?
You still ignored my point on the spin-off games.

1) Explains the RPG, but time travel didn't exist in mario at the time of mario kart double dash, I'm CERTAIN on that.

2) Fair enough.

3) I still stand that Kamek is more than relatively unimportant, but not by too much.

4)... Yeah...

5) That's just mean! I've always cared what Sakurai says, it just seems like the placement of trophies was as stupid as Sakurai's (not so) witty remark on balloon fighter.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
You still ignored my point on the spin-off games.

1) Explains the RPG, but time travel didn't exist in mario at the time of mario kart double dash, I'm CERTAIN on that.

2) Fair enough.

3) I still stand that Kamek is more than relatively unimportant, but not by too much.

4)... Yeah...

5) That's just mean! I've always cared what Sakurai says, it just seems like the placement of trophies was as stupid as Sakurai's (not so) witty remark on balloon fighter.
1) Who cares? It's a spin-off game, it follows no particular story-line. Bowser isn't kidnapping Peach and is actually getting along with everyone else. If that's possible in a spin-off, anything is. Besides, it's freaking Mario... It's about the gameplay, not the story or continuity, and it's not realistic anyway.

2) He is relatively unimportant compared to many MANY other Mario characters. He is only important to Yoshi's Island, which, as we have already established, is basically Mario.

Jigglover, I'm not trying to be mean, but it might help if you actually do some research before you post so that you actually know what you're talking about.

jigglover

Smash Lord
1) Who cares? It's a spin-off game, it follows no particular story-line. Bowser isn't kidnapping Peach and is actually getting along with everyone else. If that's possible in a spin-off, anything is. Besides, it's freaking Mario... It's about the gameplay, not the story or continuity, and it's not realistic anyway.

2) He is relatively unimportant compared to many MANY other Mario characters. He is only important to Yoshi's Island, which, as we have already established, is basically Mario.

Jigglover, I'm not trying to be mean, but it might help if you actually do some research before you post so that you actually know what you're talking about.

1) Out of interest, do you support Waluigi?

2) Kamek could get in if Sakurai wants a last-minute villain, couldn't he?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
1) Out of interest, do you support Waluigi?

2) Kamek could get in if Sakurai wants a last-minute villain, couldn't he?
1) No I do not, and if you are going to say that "by this logic you should support Waluigi," don't bother. There are far more things to consider than just number of appearances. In this case, Kamek has a very small number of appearances in both platformers and spin-offs, as well as very low significance to the series, being a major villain in only a couple games, all of which are relatively minor anyway. He is only slightly more important than Fawful, which isn't saying much.

2) He could, but why would he when there are plenty other choices for potential villains? Villains that are more popular and significant, like King K. Rool, Samurai Goroh, Bowser Jr., and Ridley for example.

jigglover

Smash Lord
1) No I do not, and if you are going to say that "by this logic I should support Waluigi," don't bother. There are far more things to consider than just number of appearances. In this case, Kamek has a very small number of appearances in both platformers and spin-offs, as well as very low significance to the series, being a major villain in only a couple games, all of which are relatively minor anyway. He is only slightly more important than Fawful, which isn't saying much.

2) He could, but why would he when there are plenty other choices for potential villains? Villains that are more popular and significant, for example.

I think that the yoshi series must be larger in the UK than the U.S. You'd do well to walk into a games shop here and not see a plush of Yoshi or baby mario or somebody. In a recent poll that ONM did, Yoshis island was voted the 3rd best platformer for the DS/DSI/3DS. Behind only New super mario bros and kid icarus uprising (this was done a week or so before NSMB2 was released, so it's most likely 4th now.)

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Alright, but that doesn't really have much to do with anything I said. The Yoshi series is regarded well everywhere, but no matter where you are, it is generally considered just an extension of the Mario series.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I think it is deserving of another rep then, and Kamek is very relevant to it.
it is generally considered just an extension of the Mario series.
Like I said, it is regarded well everywhere, but it is generally considered just an extension of the Mario series. In other words, it doesn't need nor deserve any more representation other than Yoshi. It's basically Mario. It's only had a couple major games, all of which are heavily related to the Mario series in almost every way besides Yoshi being the main playable character.

That's why we won't see a new "rep" for quite a long while.

jigglover

Smash Lord
In the older days, Nintendo seemed adamant to try and separate Yoshi from mario. Instead of giving Mario Lip's game, they gave it to Yoshi, they gave him various games unique to mario such as yoshi's story and yoshi touch and go.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
We're not in the old days, are we? Yoshi's last game was in 2006.

Yoshi was (and still is) a popular character, and they weren't trying to "separate him from Mario" so much as they were trying to put him more in the spotlight. That didn't last very long though, did it? Yoshi's very small number of games shows that, as well as the fact that now and even back then he and his games were closely tied to Mario.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
There are three or four "mainstream titles" in his series including these:
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
-Yoshi's Story
-Yoshi's Island DS
-Yoshi Touch & Go (debatable as a "mainstream" title)

Beyond that, there are about three other Yoshi games that are pretty minor in comparison, and wouldn't even contribute to his series at all.
-Yoshi
-Yoshi's Cookie
-Yoshi Topsy-Turvy

That's a lot less than "15 or so," last I checked (even if you counted remakes, which you shouldn't, there wouldn't be fifteen). And as usual, all of Yoshi's mainstream games bear heavy similarities and associations with the Mario series (besides Yoshi's Story, a single game, that still contained a couple familiar Mario elements). The point still stands... Yoshi's series is basically Mario, and therefore doesn't need nor deserve any more representation.

MOTHER is a completely different story. It is it's own thing... it's not a spin-off of another series. Yoshi's Island is basically Mario, but MOTHER is just MOTHER (by the way, there's only three games... not four...). And while a third MOTHER rep is wanted by some, most people do not expect another one. Don't compare MOTHER to Yoshi.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
To Recap

Dixie Kong and/ or K Rool > Mona, Syrup, or Ashley > Kamek or Baby Mario Bros

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
He's still got a good 15 or so. More than Mother, who has 4 (including earthbound), and many want them for a third.
15 games in the Yoshi series? 4 games in the Mother series? Jigg you really need to get your facts straightened out before you even try to debate with someone.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think we can all agree that Yoshi and Wario will most likely not receive a 2nd rep.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
But if the main 3 each get 2 reps, it is wither going to be Dixie and K Rool or one of them and a Wario character. Unless Paper Mario is considered a spin-off.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
But if the main 3 each get 2 reps, it is wither going to be Dixie and K Rool or one of them and a Wario character. Unless Paper Mario is considered a spin-off.

.....that didn't even make any sense. What main 3? Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Yes. Mario, Legend Of Zelda and Pokemon are the big three. These are usually have a similar amount of slots in the Mario spinoffs.

Mario: Mario, Luigi
Spinoffs: DK, Yoshi
Zelda: Link
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff

Melee
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Spinoffs: DK, Yoshi, Dr. Mario
Zelda: Link, Zelda/ Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu

Brawl
Spinoffs: DK, Diddy, Yoshi, Wario
Zelda: Link, Zelda/ Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes. Mario, Legend Of Zelda and Pokemon are the big three. These are usually have a similar amount of slots in the Mario spinoffs.

Melee

Brawl
While an interesting observation, it's merely coincidental that for two of the three games the Mario spin-offs have equaled about as many reps as the "main three" (Dr. Mario wasn't considered a separate series in Melee), and it's most likely not Sakurai's direct intention for the amount of spin-off characters to exactly match the others (or for the big three to even have an equal amount of reps, Brawl was the first time this happened).

Regarding your previous post, I'd say the chances of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon each getting two more reps is practically non-existant. Really, Pokemon is the only series that has a decent chance of expanding by two (by readding Mewtwo and having a new character, as well as keeping the other four), so in all likelihood the number of Mario spin-off characters could very well outnumber the main Mario series this time around (which would be completely valid, considering it encompasses at least three series, including Nintendo's fourth biggest).

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So if the big 3 main series have two reps each, then Donkey Kong will get either K. Rool or Dixie or possible both and Wario will receive a 2nd rep? The reason why I am confused to what you meant is your original post "But if the main 3 each get 2 reps, it is wither going to be Dixie and K Rool or one of them and a Wario character. Unless Paper Mario is considered a spin-off." was very vague and full of grammatical errors. It was hard to understand what you were trying to say.

Why do you think two reps for the 3 main series? And why does 2 reps confirm a Wario newcomer? I would think that would lessen the chance of one because....well...the available roster slots decrease.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

Melee

Brawl

First of all, slots don't matter... characters do. Individual characters, like Sheik, Zelda, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard... not their slots. The only thing slots are good for is making the Character Select Screen look pretty.

Second of all, the chances of any of the big three getting two newcomers is pretty slim. Pokemon will most likely increase by one (possibly two, but that is more unlikely), Mario has a chance of increasing by one, and Zelda probably will not increase at all.

Lastly, even if the big three did all increase by two slots, that does not guarantee that we will see an increase of two in the Mario spin-offs. It's a coincidence that it has sort of worked out that way, but Sakurai doesn't deliberately correlate the two... there is absolutely no reason to do that. I think you are over-analyzing an observation far too much... Don't try to look for patterns in the roster either. There have only been three games.

JPW

Smash Ace
i still don't get why people think Yoshi is his own series. He's obviously still part of Mario franchise as of late.

SMG2, NSMB, NSMB Wii, NSMB U,

When was the last time he had a game on his own without Mario?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
He has his own series in Smash (Yoshi's Island), probably just because Sakurai felt that Yoshi could use his own series, despite the few number of games and their close association to Mario.

The only problem with this is that now, people believe that Yoshi's series is "under-repped" because he "hasn't gotten a new character since Smash 64." These people don't realize that Yoshi really doesn't need nor deserve any "new reps" due to the fact that Yoshi's Island is basically Mario. Just because he solely represents his own series does not mean that he absolutely needs another character just for the hell of it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When considering characters, you have to look at the significance of the series. For example, Kirby has three reps in the game, and they are the most important 3 characters, while most characters lag behind as far as importance. Star Fox had 3 reps, each of them being important to the series.

The point i'm trying to make, is that when you say a series "deserves" or "needs" another character, really think about that. Mario got 3 new reps in Melee, and then got one taken away (even Doc was planned). The FLAGSHIP series only has one more than Kirby and Star Fox. So do those two REALLY "need" another rep. Logic to me says not really.

In Yoshi's case, no, he doesn't need another one. His costume change represents enough of the characters (other Yoshis) on it's own, whether you consider them different or not. We don't need a generic enemy/pseudo main enemy character in an all star brawler.

On a side note, i've been thinking about the 3rd party thing, and that article that Sakurai mentioned Snake and Sonic in. Why would he find the need to scale back on 3rd parties if there would only be one new guy besides Snake and Sonic? This leads me to believe that Snake and Sonic will return, and get an additional 3rd party rep from Namco or Capcom. Thoughts?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
When considering characters, you have to look at the significance of the series. For example, Kirby has three reps in the game, and they are the most important 3 characters, while most characters lag behind as far as importance. Star Fox had 3 reps, each of them being important to the series.

The point i'm trying to make, is that when you say a series "deserves" or "needs" another character, really think about that. Mario got 3 new reps in Melee, and then got one taken away (even Doc was planned). The FLAGSHIP series only has one more than Kirby and Star Fox. So do those two REALLY "need" another rep. Logic to me says not really.

In Yoshi's case, no, he doesn't need another one. His costume change represents enough of the characters (other Yoshis) on it's own, whether you consider them different or not. We don't need a generic enemy/pseudo main enemy character in an all star brawler.

On a side note, i've been thinking about the 3rd party thing, and that article that Sakurai mentioned Snake and Sonic in. Why would he find the need to scale back on 3rd parties if there would only be one new guy besides Snake and Sonic? This leads me to believe that Snake and Sonic will return, and get an additional 3rd party rep from Namco or Capcom. Thoughts?
You already said it all, I believe.

JPW

Smash Ace
you still haven't answered my question.

When was the last time Yoshi was the star of his own game?

With 3rd party characters i believe PacMan still has the best chance. Megaman would have a chance too if Capcom believes in him first.

Sonic and Snake will be sticking i find.

My reason for believing both will stick around is because:

Don't you think it's a bit odd for Snake not to show up on PASBR despite his long history with Sony? Instead they went for Raiden? Is there something stopping Sony getting Snake?

As for Sonic same thing. But Sonic games have better success on Nintendo's consoles so it's only logical he'll be into Smash again. And if he was cut i'd imagine there would be a huge uproar in the smash community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom