• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think it was a mistake in general to name Red just "Pokemon Trainer" in Brawl as much as was to name Hero Of Winds "Toon Link". I never liked that name because it's just alludes us to think this is another Link, except "toony". Wind Waker doesn't really run on that when introducing the character, just being your ordinary kid who rather volunteerily became the new Link to save the world around 'em. I mean hell, I don't think he was gifted with Triforce Of Courage at the start!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
His pokemon obviously haven't evolved yet.

They didn't start as Blastoise, Venusaur and Charizard.

It's probably Red from the first game, before he became champion
Of which he cannot legitimately get all 3 Pokemon in the game, because you can't, without trading.

NPC Red is not generally fightable in FR/LG anyway(with all 3 Pokemon). He's pretty much only fightable in G/S/C at the time of Brawl being made. So that's the version he'd have to be if any.(the only time he has all 3)

It just plain doesn't match up. The only time this is possible is in Pokemon Yellow, but that's not Red, but Ash being played anyway.

So the only real character Pokemon Trainer could legitimately be beyond the class with everything is Ash/Satoshi with an extra evolution(Bulbasaur to Ivysaur). This actually matches up realistically with everything. Or would, if Pokemon Trainer wasn't more than just a class with the first PT ever made's design.(which is the only reason he looks like Ash, and nothing more)

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
When I get my copy of Pokemon X, I'll definitely name the trainer ChingChongPotato. :laugh:
Leave it to Kuma to end a BS debate. :laugh:

Anyway does anyone have any ideas on how to buff Mewtwo?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, obviously the Red in Brawl has another copy of the game and traded all the starters to himself. I know I did that

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Why did we even run to think about this at the first place.

MEWTWO'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE MOST POWERFUL POKEMON EVER CREATED.

So ironic in Smash-games.

Anyway, buff him to match the feel of being ULTIMATE. But there better some catch to that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, obviously the Red in Brawl has another copy of the game and traded all the starters to himself. I know I did that
...Okay, now you're grasping at straws. No, doesn't work that way. He can possibly trade to other characters in-game, but he doesn't own anything like that. -_-

@Young Horsetail: The difference is that the character is still named Link. He's just given those versions to designate the difference between the Adult version and the Child version. It's not real a similar situation either.

And as I said, he's called Pokemon Trainer because that's all he is. The first PT design was Red, and that's the most iconic design, so Sakurai used that. Otherwise, it has zip to do with Red in the first place.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So if you are going to the pokemon world as if it's a real thing, your going to say Squirtle, bulbasaur and charmander don't live in the wild?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So if you are going to the pokemon world as if it's a real thing, your going to say Squirtle, bulbasaur and charmander don't live in the wild?
They actually don't, you know.

Only Squirtle is arguable, but in the games, they can't be gotten outside of Trading with another Trainer. Most trainers start with a Starter given by Oak, as noted by other trainers having things like Bulbasaur.

We see the Charmander line and Bulbasaur line among trainers besides you and Red/Leaf/Blue(depending if you're playing the originals or 3rd gen remake). They also weren't wild in Yellow. They were specific versions as is. All gifts from other Trainers.

Technically, you can make some show up in the wild via glitches, but in the games, it's not normally possible to make them appear in the Wild.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, prof. Oak had to get them from somewhere.

Unless Oak is the sole breeder of them

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
this i s so stupid.
@HyperFalcon
no one agrees with you and they arent changing their opinions. you're being to literal to the games.

@everyone else
stop trying to convince Hyper that PKMN Trainer is Red. it's clearly not happening so just drop it.

none of you are really wrong. Hyper is right in that in Brawl there is no note of him being the Red. however he is clearly heavily inspired by him. its a dumb argument so agree to disagree

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Let's just move on from this issue. I dunno why we can't just accept canons/fanons/ other -ons overall. This happens when we don't. Nintendo loves leaving holes to be filled so fans get to fill 'em with their own headcanons/fanons and such.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Leave it to Kuma to end a BS debate. :laugh:

I'm just telling it like it is and lol that the argument is applied to Link. Guess I'll call WW Link, Meelo.

In regards to Mewtwo, we have to think of what his playstyle should be and how to fulfill it. I think Teleport definitely needs to stay though so I can imagine something of a sandwich character where he hits at unpredictable angles.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

So I missed another HyperFalcon Logic Tiem?

Eh, screw the stupidity, Mewtwo Tiem until further notice.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
LOL people stop debating about names, this isn about freaking nominalism

Anyway, as one of the few people of this site that doesn know s*** about pokemon (original 150 + mewtwo or DIE) I am soooo excited to see Mewtwo is going to be in a new movie.
Im not going to watch it, but anything that makes him relevant is good in my book.

As for buffing him: Just give him good hitboxes.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm just telling it like it is and lol that the argument is applied to Link. Guess I'll call WW Link, Meelo.

In regards to Mewtwo, we have to think of what his playstyle should be and how to fulfill it. I think Teleport definitely needs to stay though so I can imagine something of a sandwich character where he hits at unpredictable angles.
To tell the truth, I don't think Mewtwo needs a total revamp of his playstyle, he just needs a few buffs here and there to make him a more effective character. To which as a side note, I do like to think that, like Pikachu or Game & Watch, Mewtwo would have benefited under Brawl's physics.

Personally I've been hoping that Teleport could pull off it's own version of QAC. But other than that he needs a slight weight and speed increase to make him a middle weight character. Confusion needs to come out faster as well as actually reflect projectiles back (would also be neat to see the close combat version cause tripping). Not sure what to with Disable in terms of buffs, outside of maybe getting rid of it? Other than that he just needs another effective killing move.

peeup

Smash Lord
If you hit with Disable, the person you hit shouldn't be able to use the last special move they used, until either that person dies, Mewtwo dies, or Mewtwo uses Disable again. That alone would hugely buff him; he could disable most people's Up Specials, or other people's projectiles, or whatever would be most detrimental.

Possibly overpowered, but in the hands of such a ****ty character it could work.

peeup

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Mewtwo is such an awful character. Plus you have to hit with Disable first, which is like a point blank, predictable move.

Spire

III
BRoomer
They need to go ahead and make all previous starter families catchable in the wild (very rare encounters, like 1/100 or 1/255 chance) as part of the National Dex.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, but Mewtwo is such an awful character. Plus you have to hit with Disable first, which is like a point blank, predictable move.
And only works if they're facing you. And don't have a Shield up, I believe...

Yeah, I like your idea. It's far better than the crap it was in Melee.

In Smash canon, Ivysaur and Charizard are wild Pokemon.
Maybe. It's possibly they were stolen from him and temporarily released earlier. We don't know if he ever had them before or not.

D

Deleted member

Personally I'm not too particularly excited about Mewtwo as I've never cared much for him and have always felt Deoxys offers much more interesting combat options.

But as far as revamping Mewtwo. Two words Long-range Grappler. Change confusion to Telekinesis and give it better range and more options. A good example is actually in Sonic 06. 2nd gie him some long range command throws for neuts, and Reflect as a counter based Smash Attack.

Change his jump so he's less floaty and up his speed a bunch. Also give him a Peach-like float ability.

Mewtwo should be an awesome mid-range charcter who has a sweet-spot just out of harm's way with tons of grapple techs and projectile defense, but is very frail when hit. Lighter than Mario for sure.

Oh, and for the record, that debate Red's name was all kinds of lame. It's likely Sakurai didn't acknowledge his canon name because GF doesn't really give two ****s.

I DO get what Falcon was getting at, that the ambiguity of Red's name in Brawl could lead to his replacement, and I wanna agree as I'd rather have White, but Charizard stands in the way..

Anyway, we all know his REAL name is ****weed and rival's Douche.

My fave is still "**** I..." from GG. Dem interactions.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To which as a side note, I do like to think that, like Pikachu or Game & Watch, Mewtwo would have benefited under Brawl's physics.
Actually, Mewtwo would of not benefitted from Brawl's physics at all. In Melee Mewtwo heavily relied on his very long wavedash in order to approach the opponent, and was a key element to using Mewtwo in competitive play. With the removal of the technique in Brawl, Mewtwo would have had a much harder time actually approaching the opponent effectively. Even if there was buffs to speed and power, Mewtwo would still struggle to establish a dominating force due to it being harder to actually approach.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Hey yall I'm new here. Huge Smash fanatic. SOOOO excited for the next games. Anyways, My roster prediction is rather huuuuuge, but please note I am including the full cast list I feel will be in BOTH games, not specifying which characters will be in which game, along with explanations for characters who are added, or removed, no pictures, if you don't know who the character is, look them up! *As a side note, there will NOT be any new Sonic characters in this roster, nor third parties having more than one representative. Now... let's begin!

MARIO SERIES
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
*Bowser Jr
*(possibly) Paper Mario
Ok, so no characters are getting scrapped from the Mario series (duhh...), but my bet goes for Bowser Jr. Why? He's cute, he's a villain, great potential moveset, etc. Paper Mario is also a possible option, because everybody loves paper mario, and he would be to Mario as Toon Link is to Link, which is fine by me. But still, my money is on Bowser Jr for a new Mario series rep.

DONKEY KONG SERIES
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
**Dixie Kong
*King K. Rool
The double asterisk by Dixie means either she will be included as a new fighter (maybe) or she will be a dual fighter with Diddy. I see this happening to 1.) save space on the roster, and 2.) although she was in the forbidden seven, her role was as a dual character, Diddy's partner in crime. And frankly I'd be fine with that, replace Diddy's down b banana throw to a down b partner hand-clap switch and give Dixie the banana throw! Oh and K. Rool? He is a shoe-in in my opinion, do I need to explain?

YOSHI SERIES
Yoshi
***Debu?
Debu(?) has a triple asterisk because, well, I don't know who it is. But apparently, according to a rumor by a Namco worker working on SSB4 game development, Debu is a Yoshi character that is questionably going to be in the new "Yoshi's Epic Yarn" or whatever its called game for the Wii U. Do I believe it, I don't know, but the Yoshi series needs some love in my opinion!

WARIO SERIES
Wario
*Waluigi
Gahh, as much as I LOATHE the guy, I think his chances of being in SSB4 as a fighter on either console are pretty dang high. I mean, people want him, he's villainous, "EHH WALUIGI! Everybody's cheating but MEEEE!" you get it...

ZELDA SERIES
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
*Ghirahim
Sorry folks, but Toon Link isn't going anywhere! Especially with a Wind Waker HD Remake, Toon Link is as relevant as ever. Ghirahim? My goodness, is he fabulous. Amazing moveset potential, original character (unlike SS Impa, who in my professional opinion would be EXACTLY like Sheik, who isn't going anywhere either) and Ghirahim is just deliciously evil... I think he would be a great fit.

METROID SERIES
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
*Ridley
PLEASE NINTENDO PLEASE. The fans want Ridley. I want Ridley. HE'S SO FRIGGIN COOL. Just shrink him down plop him in and boom. The greatest decision ever made.

KID ICARUS SERIES
Pit
*Paluntena
People want her in the next game. She's a lovable goddess, she would play remniscent to a heavier Zelda in my opinion (but not a clone PLEEEASE NOT A CLONE)

RETRO FIGHTERS

Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
*Little Mac
*Takamaru
Little Mac, I mean really? Nothing to say here. Takamaru, on the other hand, will get in and serve as Mac's opposite, with the whole "east vs west" theme going in, 'sperfect no? I hope, with all my heart, the Takamaru enjoys the same that Pit received after being in SSBB, a series REVIVAL!

KIRBY SERIES
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
*(unlikely, but possible) Bandanna Dee
Bandanna Dee isn't as integral as the other three, but if Sakurai wants another Kirby rep, that'll be the best bet.

STARFOX SERIES
Fox
Falco
Krystal
Yup, you read right. Buh-bye Wolf. Why? HE'S A CLONE, his character design is basically an evil version of Fox, Clones need to get axed. Keep Falco, he's great, a top tier character, just change him a little so he's not A CLONE. Krystal? I know people hate her, but as a female, Fox's romantic interest, and a STAR FOX CHARACTER WITH A POTENTIALLY DIFFERENT MOVESET, I say, go for it.

F-ZERO SERIES
Captain Falcon
F-Zero has been dead in the water for sooooo long now, sorry Falcon, but I don't think Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow will be joining you this time...

EARTHBOUND SERIES
Ness
Lucas
**Claus or Pokey
I have conditions here. Please change Lucas. I know he's good, but for the first years of playing I could hardly tell the difference between him and Ness! The Mother games have a slew of other potential PSI attacks Lucas could use. Pokey or Clause are maybes, because as much as I love the Mother games, I'm not sure if they deserve a third rep or not....

POKEMON SERIES
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
*Mewtwo
**R/S Pokemon Trainer (Female, like May from the anime) with Blaziken, Grovyle, and Mudkip
***Zoroark
Firstly, Mewtwo is NOT replacing Lucario, Zoroark potentially is. I love Lucario, he's one of my favorite fighters, but sadly, his time came and went, and he will probably get replaced with a fresher face. Mewtwo WILL return, the fans were devasted when he wasn't in brawl. Mewtwo was the ORIGINAL pokemon villain, I mean, how many of us remember the time we found Mewtwo in Pokemon Red and Blue, how insanely impossible he was to catch without a Masterball? Mewtwo was wrongly cut from Brawl in my opinion, and must return.

Secondly, the R/S Pokemon Trainer change. Here's why, 1.) Third gen pokemon has been completely SHAFTED from the Smash games, 2.) with Gen 6 soon approaching, I don't see it unlikely that a Ruby/Sapphire remake will follow, seeing how its been done with the previous games, and 3.) if Ridley and Bowser Jr. come aboard, and I think they will, I feel their character designs are too similar to that of Charizard's and Squirtle's. The answer? New pokemon! Everybody loved Blaziken, he'd be a great fighter in SSB4, Grovyle would be super speedy, and Mudkip is so freaking adorable.

Lastly, I say Zoroark, but what I mean is whatever Pokemon's posterchild is, whether it be Zoroark, Genesect, Or Gen 6 Pokemon

FIRE EMBLEM SERIES
*Roy
*Chrom
*(Insert your favorite FE female here)
Now I don't know the FE series all to well, but the fans LOVE Roy. Bring him back! I don't care about Marth, ax him, put in Roy. Ike, I love him, but I think Chrom is more relevant now. Plus, I don't think it would be such a crazy idea to give Ike's moveset to Ganondorf, who NEEDS a knew moveset, especially with a sword, which i think would fit perfectly. Give Chrom a fresh moveset, and then, for good measure, add a FE lady to the mix, whether it be Lyn, Michiah, whatever suits best.

NEWER GENERATION
Olimar
*Saki
*Ray MKIII
*Shulk
*Dillon
So first off, no Isaac. Golden Sun was a great game, one the best, but, there hasn't been a new one in ages and I don't see a new one anytime soon. Saki, he would be a wonderful fit, I know people say "add Isa" but Saki is THE MAIN Sin and Punishment character, not the newest, the first one, the one who got it all started. Sin and Punishment received a revitalization when it was brought to the virtual console for wii, and with a second title, and I wouldn't find it farfetched if there was a third title for the Wii U. Plus, when he was an assist trophy, he looked so good on that stage, he deserves to be a fighter!

Ray MKIII is a hopeful shot, I'd love to see a hardcore robo other than ROB in a Smash game, and they could revitalize the Custom Robo series with him as well!

Shulk is from the game Xenoblade, which was very popular and an incredible game that I never played... But he seems legit, and people want him, so ok

Dillon is from Dillon's Rolling Western, a game on the eshop for 3ds. Dillon is an original character, cool looking, and would NOT be similar to Sonic. Yoshi and Jigglypuff roll, are they Sonic clones? NO.

THIRD PARTIES
Sonic
Snake (Yeah you heard me)
*Capcom (Either Megaman, Zero, or Ryu)
*Namco (Either Pac-Man, Lloyd Irving, or something else
*Either Square, or Platinum Games
Sakurai said something along the lines that said that he wouldn't mind having a Capcom Character, so either Megaman, Zero, Ryu, I don't know. I don't care.

Namco Bandai is working on game development, so seeing a rep from them isn't too unlikely (LET IT BE LLOYD)

Now here's where it gets interesting. I would love it if Square joined the fight, with either Sora or Geno (not Cloud), but I don't see Sakurai putting in FOUR third parties, and Platinum games has expressed interest in having a fighter in the game, whether it be from Bayonetta or the Wonderful 101, who knows what will happen.

One more note, the idea that Snake will leave disgusts me. I love Snake, and I don't think he'll leave, not based on a personal opinion, but because of various factors. 1.) Sakurai put him in Brawl as a token of friendship towards Kojima, as a request, not because he "begged", 2.) Snake is believe it or not a top tier player, many people love playing as him, and there aren't other characters who could replace his moveset. 3.) With MGS 3D Snake Eater on the 3ds and with Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes coming soon (which couold make its way on the Wii U....well a guy can dream at least) Snake still has a fanbase and a support from nintendo fans, keeping Snake in it will only make things better, not worse. And to those who say he doesn't fit... he fits a lot better than some other third party ideas I've seen around!! (I just hope they make him look more like Naked Snake/Big Boss. Let him keep the Snake moniker, just add the Eyepatch!!)

Amd Finally, MIIS
I have to say, I think Miis will make it in as the next "WTF?!" character. No need for explanation.

So, sorry for the length of this, hope nobody hates me for making my first post the longest in history. That makes nearly 60 characters, split amongst 2 games mind you.

....this guy.....

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Mewtwo, if back in, needs to be made the biggest badass mofo in the roster. Then again, I have said this before.

Also, crazy-idea for a character that will NEVER EVER HAPPEN: Eevee. You start as Eevee but can evolve into any of the eeveelutions by grabbing stones or doing other things.

peeup

Smash Lord
Actually, Mewtwo would of not benefitted from Brawl's physics at all. In Melee Mewtwo heavily relied on his very long wavedash in order to approach the opponent, and was a key element to using Mewtwo in competitive play. With the removal of the technique in Brawl, Mewtwo would have had a much harder time actually approaching the opponent effectively. Even if there was buffs to speed and power, Mewtwo would still struggle to establish a dominating force due to it being harder to actually approach.
Considering basically none of the Melee veterans play in Brawl how they did in Melee, I think it's safe to say that losing a wavedash wouldnt be as detrimental as you think. IC's lost their wavedash, and they're still pretty damn high up there. Same with Marth.

D

Deleted member

Personally I'm not too particularly excited about Mewtwo as I've never cared much for him and have always felt Deoxys offers much more interesting combat options.

But as far as revamping Mewtwo. Two words Long-range Grappler. Change confusion to Telekinesis and give it better range and more options. A good example is actually in Sonic 06. 2nd gie him some long range command throws for neuts, and Reflect as a counter based Smash Attack.

Change his jump so he's less floaty and up his speed a bunch. Also give him a Peach-like float ability.

Mewtwo should be an awesome mid-range charcter who has a sweet-spot just out of harm's way with tons of grapple techs and projectile defense, but is very frail when hit. Lighter than Mario for sure.

Oh, and for the record, that debate Red's name was all kinds of lame. It's likely Sakurai didn't acknowledge his canon name because GF doesn't really give two ****s.

I DO get what Falcon was getting at, that the ambiguity of Red's name in Brawl could lead to his replacement, and I wanna agree as I'd rather have White, but Charizard stands in the way..

Anyway, we all know his REAL name is ****weed and rival's Douche.

My fave is still "**** I..." from GG. Dem interactions.

I forgot to mention, on Mewtwo, replace his Down B, with Meditate (I would say Psych Up, but Meditate would have a cooler animation). Basically it's a boost move that increases the Range of all his Psychic grabs Command Grabs, Telekinesis, and Regular Grabs as well as boost some properties of some of his moves (Shadow Ball charges MUCH faster). Three levels of charge, you hold V+B to charge it a la DBZ Fighters. The more you use his moves, the more it drains, forcing Mewtwo players to constantly be aware of his charge to use him at his best. No charge he has Mediocre Properties, full charge he's got GODLY range. By decreasing his range with use, and forcing him to charge, as well as making him more Frail, Mewtwo is a neat contrast character between AMAZING, but with some drawbacks that leave him open to counter attacks, especially since he's very hard to hit with his Godly Grab game.

....this guy.....

I like this guy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think it would be cool if Mewtwo's Side Special were replaced by some sort of Levitation Field. He creates a grab hitbox in front of him for a short period of time, and if a foe directly overlaps it, he can levitate them around for a second or so before they are released. It would certainly be more useful to him than his current SSpec...

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how the Pokemon series reps are the most hardest to predict. When choosing characters to represent a game series in Smash Bros, they should obviously go far the ones who are the most iconic and generally well liked. Which is why I don't see the point of adding a random generation 6 Pokemon to represent the Pokemon series in SSB4. Lucario isn't even all that popular compared to the likes of Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard.

D

Deleted member

I think it would be cool if Mewtwo's Side Special were replaced by some sort of Levitation Field. He creates a grab hitbox in front of him for a short period of time, and if a foe directly overlaps it, he can levitate them around for a second or so before they are released. It would certainly be more useful to him than his current SSpec...

Yeah something like that, I've always hated Confusion and Disable, and always wondered why he had that to the superior Psychic.

Anyway, the idea is as you said, Side B creates this Circular "Room" (One Piece reference), where everything (up to a Max of 3?) inside the Bubble is immediately Grabbed and Levitated by Mewtwo, projectiles, items, rubble, opponents, etc... Those can then be tossed by Mewtwo either forward or backward. The range of the Bubble depends on how much you've charged your abilities with Meditate, with no charge being downright pathetic (less than Confusion), and full charge being near broken. The move has both a Start Up lag and a delay after use as well, and on a whiff.... Ho boy, let's just say you're royally ****ed. The further inside the Bubble the opponents are, the more further they fly when flung by Mewtwo, making a nice risk-reward move. The use of this move consumes a lot of Meditation Charge, thus balancing it out a bit.

There's also the "Reflect" Side Smash, which basically reflects Projectiles and counters attacks, the more the charge, the more powerful the recoil making it somewhat situational, but very interesting, as it sort of serves as Mewtwo's "Last line of defense" being a counter and all.

With this Mewtwo not only becomes an interesting character to use, but also a unique and fun character to fight against. The basic strategy against him is bait and switch with TONS of mind games (fitting for a Psychic type) as both players try to exploit Mewtwo's attacks in favor of one an other, trying to either get Mewtwo to missuse his attacks to force a Meditation charge and create an opening, or Mewtwo trying to bait his opponents to falling for his tricks and landing on his sweet spots.

It's funny how the Pokemon series reps are the most hardest to predict. When choosing characters to represent a game series in Smash Bros, they should obviously go far the ones who are the most iconic and generally well liked. Which is why I don't see the point of adding a random generation 6 Pokemon to represent the Pokemon series in SSB4. Lucario isn't even all that popular compared to the likes of Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard.
Well, that's because defining what's iconic within Pokemon can be hard to do as you have over 800 characters to choose from between Gym Leaders, Protags, Evil Teams, Antagonist, E4, Strong trainers and ALL the Pokemon.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
  1. Really, it isn't. It's quite easy to see who'll get in based on popularity. The only time this didn't apply was with PT, who still falls slightly under this due to Charizard.
  2. Promotional items, the anime, a movie, and my little brother disagree with you. Lucario is basically the new Charizard, where everyone has one.
  3. The only toss up is between a gen 6 mascot that has yet to be shown (though Ninfia could be this and we just haven't figured it out yet), maybe Genesect for his involvement with Mewtwo (credits go to Golden for this one, I think), and Zoroark (who wasn't well recieved in the slightest).

On Mewtwo; his playstyle should be a good deal more aggressive. While an overall slow character (due to low physical body strength and the need to levitate himself, and before Speed stat, it's generally considered to be a measure of reaction time instead of actual running speed), his attacks can get damage very quickly. I like Manly's idea for a long range grappler very much, as it fits with him based on the movie. In the movie, Mewtwo rarely outright attacks 'inferior' opponets. Instead he'll A. Reflect their attack (the Gyrados) or B. Toss them aside (like Ash). Maybe, I haven't seen it in a while, so it's baffling to me that I can remember this much.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I forgot to mention, on Mewtwo, replace his Down B, with Meditate (I would say Psych Up, but Meditate would have a cooler animation). Basically it's a boost move that increases the Range of all his Psychic grabs Command Grabs, Telekinesis, and Regular Grabs as well as boost some properties of some of his moves (Shadow Ball charges MUCH faster). Three levels of charge, you hold V+B to charge it a la DBZ Fighters. The more you use his moves, the more it drains, forcing Mewtwo players to constantly be aware of his charge to use him at his best. No charge he has Mediocre Properties, full charge he's got GODLY range. By decreasing his range with use, and forcing him to charge, as well as making him more Frail, Mewtwo is a neat contrast character between AMAZING, but with some drawbacks that leave him open to counter attacks, especially since he's very hard to hit with his Godly Grab game.
I had this idea for the longest time! Good to see someone else with this same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom