• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I kind of wish the next Super Smash Bros. would actually take cues from how Tekken inflicts damage. In those games, every attack had a sense of weight and power to it that made inflicting damage feel satisfying.
THIS! SO MUCH THIS! In Tekken, not only can you win by doing solid, damaging combos, but a lot of your damage comes from pokes and makeshift whiff punishing while not taking freaking forever like Street Fighter does now. SF2 dealt way more damage on normals while now it's nothing in comparison.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I do feel confident that with the team behind Tekken and Soul Caliber involved, such possibilities would be added and probably welcomed, depending on how well it's executed. The only real question would be if Sakurai would stop being a dense mule and actually approve it (protip: he won't).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I do feel confident that with the team behind Tekken and Soul Caliber involved, such possibilities would be added and probably welcomed, depending on how well it's executed. The only real question would be if Sakurai would stop being a dense mule and actually approve it (protip: he won't).
I think the big problem with his design philosophy is that while he has the right concepts in mind, such that fighting games involve a lot of adlibbing, he doesn't realize what he's twisting as a result. For example, the adlibbing thing likely made DI which is great and all, but makes things too random for combo making. This also probably resulted in all the random probabilities in things. He wanted it where no match was ever the same despite that no one match is ever the same in the first place.

I think he has the right idea behind certain things, but he doesn't understand WHY certain things work and others don't. This is where the Tekken and Soul Calibur teams come into play. They've created a diverse range of characters in size, shape, and playstyle so they know what should be required for certain characters in order for them to be any good.

He needs people with experience and the proper arguments to say why this or that is a bad or good idea and how to go about it. Gamearts, naturally, couldn't provide this.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mewtwo's chances are pretty high, I think.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Check serebii. Everyone.

:phone:
MEWTWO!!!! PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE. all caps
Also thank god it's not a Gen 6 Lucario if true.

EDIT:
And please let it return with the Spoon Sword/Psystrike. :3

Also am digging the new Eevee evolution, kinda confused by it's type, as it doesn't look like any in particular, normal or maybe a new type all together?

D

Deleted member

I have a theory about it.
It could possibly be just a Normal type. Giving Eevee a "natural" evolution without any sort of interference through radiation of an elemental stone, sunlight, moonlight, or giant rocks.

Then again, I could be wrong, and it could be Flying type, being the 2nd pure Flying type after Tornadus.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm starting to think Mewtwo's return would be the second coming of Jesus for both Pokemon and Smash fans.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Only thing that should happen to Mewtwo in this movie is that he finally gets his Psystike/Spoon Sword. :troll:

Anyway I'm out, but will be back the second it's fully confirmed to either hype or rage the likes of which this thread has never seen before...

D

Deleted member

Lol, perfect.
Tonight and tomorrow is officially Jesus Mewtwo Eve and Jesus Mewtwo Day.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh hey, I did the whole religious tones with Geno coming down and returning to heaven after saving the mushroom kingdom.

Your on my turf now

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder...

How are they even gonna fit Mewtwo into the movie?

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wonder...

How are they even gonna fit Mewtwo into the movie?
There was originally supposed to be some Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma stuff in the Best Wishes anime before it was cut due to the Earthquake a while back. Mewtwo was shown at the end of the Mewtwo Returns special as well as various movie openings to have taken residence in a modern day city in some far off land.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What if Mewtwo was some kind of vigilante badass?
Would be a sheer badassery, without a doubt.

[COLLAPSE="Found one :D"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Mewtwo died for your sins! :troll:

Honestly, seeing Mewtwo get back into the spotlight makes me quite satisfied. It will reinforce his popularity among Pokémon veteran fans and might get popular with newer fans that might not think as highly of Mewtwo as the older fans. It's a win-win situation and his return to Smash would further prove his popularity.

Perhaps Genesect may make it into the roster too?

D

Deleted member

GUYS GUYS!

LISTEN!

What If..... Skyla was a Pokemon?

An Eevee to be more exact...

[COLLAPSE="Ninfia"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Japanese word for Human is Ningen (人間). Human Pokemon Confirmed!
:troll:

Skyla and her Digi-Pokeevolution confirmed for Smash 4

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Manly: well, it DOES seem similar to Skyla! O.O

Anyway, I am going to quote my post from the Gen VI thread:

[...] thinking on the name "Ninfia", it kind of reminds me of the word Nymph and it definitely has a more effeminate appearence. I'm betting it will be a Normal-type of Flying-type (or both). [...]
Based on its effeminate appearence and the similarity of its name to Nymph, I think it will be Flying-type. Quoting Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A nymph (Greek: νύμφη, nymphē) in Greek mythology is a minor female nature deity typically associated with a particular location or landform. There are 5 different types of nymphs, Celestial Nymphs, Water Nymphs, Land Nymphs, Plant Nymphs and Underworld Nymphs. Different from goddesses, nymphs are generally regarded as divine spirits who animate nature, and are usually depicted as beautiful, young nubile maidens who love to dance and sing; [...]
Source article

The similarities are just there.

Also makes me think that all the Eeveelutions relate to something natural, like elements (Vaporeon being Water, Flareon being Fire and so on...) as well as the Sun (Espeon) and the Moon (Umbreon).

I'm really thinking that Ninfia is based on Nymphs and will be a Flying-type.

D

Deleted member

@Manly: well, it DOES seem similar to Skyla! O.O

Anyway, I am going to quote my post from the Gen VI thread:

Based on its effeminate appearence and the similarity of its name to Nymph, I think it will be Flying-type. Quoting Wikipedia:

Source article

The similarities are just there.

Also makes me think that all the Eeveelutions relate to something natural, like elements (Vaporeon being Water, Flareon being Fire and so on...) as well as the Sun (Espeon) and the Moon (Umbreon).

I'm really thinking that Ninfia is based on Nymphs and will be a Flying-type.
I know right? CANNOT UNSEE!!

Over on /vp/ they said it could be a Bug type because of the Nymph thing... Others said it would be a Dragon type, since all the Eeveelutions are Special based, and the last type left that was a Special based type was Dragon. Others said it would be a new type, most clamoring for a Light type. A few others agreed with what you said on the Flying type.

I just find it funny it looks like Skyla. I guess this confirms we'll see her in the anime some more or something
I don't follow the anime so idk
, and she'll have one of these as one of her Pokemon.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dragon wouldn't be farfetched (:083:) since Ninfia reminds me of Altaria as well, but I don't think this is a very good reason.

If the Nymph theory is correct, I'd expect Ninfia to have singing based attacks (Sing, Perish Song,...).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ninfia hardly resembles Altaria... at least to me.

I'm expecting it to a flying type.

D

Deleted member

Nymph in Japanese would be "ninfu," so...
Mai Ninfu

as a side note, I ran a google search of that word to post a funny image and it turns out Ninfu is a character's name in this show called "Sora no Otoshimo." The more you know...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
From the looks of what we're thinking, I bet the localized name will be "Nympheon."
Checking the other Eeveelution's Japanese names...

English names: | Japanese names:
Vaporeon|Showers
Jolteon|Thunders
Flareon|Booster
Espeon|Eifie
Umbreon|Blacky
Leafeon|Leafia
Glaceon|Glacia

Note the last two Eeveelutions...
Leafia -> Leafeon
Glacia -> Glaceon

The possibility of localizing Ninfia to Nympheon is very likely...

D

Deleted member

My google search for "Ninfu" yielded this:

lol.
I got a loli...
but yeah, I saw that too. Hehehehe

Anyway, if I'm gonna catch one of these "Ninfia" and I'm totally gonna name it Skyla, this opportunity is too funny to pass up. I always name my Pokemon after People anyway.

I still remember my T. Roosevelt. Machamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom