• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Neither is Blastoise.

Oh ****, I forgot nobody but me gives a **** about Blastoise. :009:

Meowth would be nice though. He'd be a viable Jiggz replacement, but am not sure I'd want that to happen cause of her 64 veteran status.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth cannot replace Jigglypuff because they are drastically different from each other. It isn't like the Young Link / Toon Link situation or even the Sheik / Impa situation.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Meowth cannot replace Jigglypuff because they are drastically different from each other. It isn't like the Young Link / Toon Link situation or even the Sheik / Impa situation.

Replacements don't have to be related to eachother IRL in such situations.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

True. But in a way, they sre sort of alike. As very popular Gen 1, Normal type Pokémon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
True. But in a way, they sre sort of alike. As very popular Gen 1, Normal type Pokémon.

Yes. But Meowth doesn't float and put people to sleep by singing like Jigglypuff does. Jigglypuff doesn't scratch and throws coins like Meowth does.

What I had in mind was for Meowth to be a nimble fighter... Kinda like a ninja cat.. throwing coins like they are shurikens (Pay Day)... Scratching enemies (Fury Swipes) and disappearing into the shadows (Faint Attack).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Like, a faster but weaker Wolf, of sorts. Yeah I could see that. Though, I feel Meowth is with Skull Kid in that one category: Awesome But Extremely Unlikely.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah. It is demoralizing, to say the least. That's why for SSB4, I'm not holding my breath for Meowth to be playable like I hoped for in Brawl. I also would have liked to see a stage based off Meowth's Party.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There sure are others, Dark Samus for example. Or Midna and Krystal. Am sure this list will be bigger after Sm4sh's release.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Golden Sun and Legendary Starfy come to mind. :(

I think the only way a person would be satisfied with the Smash roster is if that person was neutral towards Nintendo characters in the first place. Kinda like how I felt satisfied with the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster or the Street Fighter X Tekken roster. I miss that feeling of seeing the roster and exclaiming "Wow! Look at all of these characters!" Nowadays I look at the Smash roster and ask "Why is this character in the game? Why is that character not in the game?"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was neutral toward the roster in melee. I was just excited to see new and interesting characters. Trying to figure out who they all were.

I was also looking at the Japanese Dojo. I didn't know there was an English site. So it was more interesting.

I do miss that. Brawl got me all hyping towards characters, and rage about others...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Golden Sun and Legendary Starfy come to mind. :(

I think the only way a person would be satisfied with the Smash roster is if that person was neutral towards Nintendo characters in the first place. Kinda like how I felt satisfied with the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster or the Street Fighter X Tekken roster. I miss that feeling of seeing the roster and exclaiming "Wow! Look at all of these characters!" Nowadays I look at the Smash roster and ask "Why is this character in the game? Why is that character not in the game?"

The SFxTK roster was definitely quite adequate, though were some light complaints about certain characters not making it in. Characters like Karin, Alex, Yun, Yang, and Urien were heavily requested, but were not put in. I can't speak for the Tekken side, but I feel people would've asked for Feng, Leo (people thought she was actually going to be in due to a leak's typo), Jun, Kunimitsu, and Eddy (though he was covered by Christie). Still, we did get some highly demanded choices like Poison, Hugo, Rolento, and Elena.

I think what may have also helped was that a lot of people really only desired a character or two.

Marvel, on the other hand, had plenty of complaints. A lot of the Capcom fans wanted characters like Megaman, Venom, Gambit, and Jon Talbain and complained about all these Marvel characters they never heard of like Rocket Raccoon despite the fact that apparently the Marvel lineup was close to what the Marvel fans wanted.

I definitely agree that being fairly neutral with the roster will allow you to take more joy in the size of the cast than anything else.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Isaac does not get in I'll go :c :c :c

Innitially, I disliked pretty much all newcomers in Melee except for Mewtwo, Bowser and Ganondorf. I was young, but I sas the Melee roster was mostly bull****. Nowadays, I'm glad for Marth though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not sure if I'm so concerned about who gets in, even with my personal requests of Tom Nook, Krystal, and Kumatora. If everyone were to get reinvented to varying degrees, the game will feel completely new to me which means I got so many characters to try out again. I'd love to see more indepth takes on Link, Samus, Zelda, Fox, Ganondorf, Peach, etc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Newcomers might disapoint me, which is why I want veterans revamped and balanced to the best of the Smash team's ability.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, the desires of wanting and the expectations of fate are quite different. There is no hope of bringing those together, which is especially notable since no two minds think alike. As such, keep expectations low to avoid disappointment. At this point fixing the existing characters first would be ideal.

For the record, even the characters I support like Palutena, Starfy, Dillon, Lip, Little Mac, and Takamaru (to name a few) doesn't mean I have confidence for any of them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a feeling we will get five newcomers or so.

I hope.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
At this point, I'd much rather see better balance. For characters, the obvious and deserving additions to the roster will keep me content. And, at least one dark horse candidate a la Sheik or PT. Failing that, something else surprising.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Balance would be best yeah. As Brawl's roster was actually quite good. If they can make most movesets they have even more unique and better, I'd prefer that over 20 newcomers easily. But am mostly excited for any newcomer. Honestly, as long as Diddy is in it I couldn't really care less in the end.

However, I'll always have a few character wishes as King K.Rool, Isaac and Mewtwo which I would of coarse prefer to have in. Not holding my breath till I see anything though. I'll start expecting as soon as Sakurai will reveal just how many newcomers we can expect. He'll usually give the fans quite some hints.

Wonder how he's gonna do it this time though. Brawl's mass hype helped the game a lot in the end I feel. And there's this something about speculation about Smash that's more exciting than speculation about any game really. I think with Brawl's succes of communicating with the fans will have an impact on how he's going to handle Smash 4's direction.

D

Deleted member

Thoughts on a custom character option? You know, just like how we have custom stages... I mean, Soul Calibur V did it after all (they've been doing it since SCIII if I recall correctly).

From a hacking standpoint, it would be godsend, actually, it'd be nice if Smash 4 wasn't such a tough nut to hack as the previous games. If they made it more open like Skyrim it'd be great. Of course, that would mean Nintendo releasing the game on PC, which we know will never happen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd be against that honestly... It has extreme risk of being broken, and it kinda goes against the 'All Star' theme of Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Customizable characters just kinda ruin the feeling the Smash Bros give off.

I vote no.

D

Deleted member

I'd be against that honestly... It has extreme risk of being broken, and it kinda goes against the 'All Star' theme of Smash.

I understand that, but for the sake of hacking, it'd mean Unlimited Character Works, "I am the bone of my sword" and all that crap... Overused memes aside, I would be for it just for the sake of having more character slots for future hacks.

Though, it'll likely be the Mii, which would be useless from a hacking standpoints Then again, Namco's working on it, so who knows. Also, it being broken is no big, just ban custom characters.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
No to custom characters, but yes to a separate sticker match type in the special Vs. modes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd rather have customisation on the character's movesets themselves really.

D

Deleted member

No to custom characters, but yes to a separate sticker match type in the special Vs. modes.
I'd rather have customisation on the character's movesets themselves really.

Why?

Sticker match types would be cool, but like everything else, would only be fun a couple times and then be forgotten for eternity.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Why?

Sticker match types would be cool, but like everything else, would only be fun a couple times and then be forgotten for eternity.
Which reminds me, does anyone even play Heroes & Heralds in UMvC3 anymore? Also as I haven't played STxT yet, doesn't the Gem system count as customization?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Which reminds me, does anyone even play Heroes & Heralds in UMvC3 anymore? Also as I haven't played STxT yet, doesn't the Gem system count as customization?
i did only till i 100% it as both Heroes and Heralds. i doubt i got all the cards though lol

D

Deleted member

The Gem System in SFxT is AWFUL, it is literally the only thing that stopped me from buying it. I even deleted the ISO from my comp after playing it for a bit, it was THAT bad... I simply don't plan on playing that game ever again. Shame because I was hyped about it when it was announced, but the Gem System ruined a perfectly good game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The Gem System in SFxT is AWFUL, it is literally the only thing that stopped me from buying it. I even deleted the ISO from my comp after playing it for a bit, it was THAT bad... I simply don't plan on playing that game ever again. Shame because I was hyped about it when it was announced, but the Gem System ruined a perfectly good game.
My response to gems is mixed at best. I was very intrigued by the potential behind the gem system, but it was executed horribly. The big thing is that all the good gems that would make the system worth anything are paid DLC gross and the default gem sets are absolute garbage. I would have much preferred a groove system or perhaps something akin to FF13's Paradigm Shift.

Everyone I know likes the game now with the changes, but the slow, methodical pace of the game is not quite for me, but I might change partners to improve things. Otherwise, I'll go back to Tekken where I have come to love the big, damaging combos in that game. Minus the juggles and string of attacks, it resembles real life fighting a lot more.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I kind of wish the next Super Smash Bros. would actually take cues from how Tekken inflicts damage. In those games, every attack had a sense of weight and power to it that made inflicting damage feel satisfying.

D

Deleted member

I think customizable movesets would be cool (have like two special moves for each direction)
Unless you change the mechanics and movement of Smash to where Back Tilt=Walking Backwards (and Back Smash=Running Away (as it is now)), Back Specials and Neutrals are impossible.

Now the real question is if it's possible to Mod Brawl or any other Smash game to have it perform like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom