• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not giving a ****. :troll: Grabbing you by the balls, there you go. Following it up with U Air, that's how I do them combos! What's is that? Perfect oppertunity! Make room for my FALCON KNEE!

:falcon:

Show ya moves!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Some word of advice about Hasha no Tsurigi (the FE6 manga), the main protagonist of the manga is Al, a character that does not appear in FE6. However, there were weapons in FE6 of the primary characters in Hasha no Tsurigi (Al's sword, Gant's lance, Tiena's staff). Roy does not show up until later on in Hasha no Tsurigi, and its quite a long manga. However, Roy is awesome in the manga when he does show up. :wink:
Hmm, the manga chapters are definitely longer than some other mangas I've been reading, this may take a while. Is also kinda weird to read the manga first before playing the game. lol

Also $5 says the original manga characters make it into the remake.

Note the bolded portion. This sounds like it could have been taken word-for-word from some of the character analysis posts we've been making for years. If nothing else, we know that Sakurai has a good feel on the pulse of who's popular, and where.
Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't need a character poll this time around, or if he does have one it'll be for just stages/music.

D

Deleted member

No draw C.Falcon doing that one insane workout Terry Crews did in that one movie. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AuIURhCoAA
Look at your percent. Now back at me. Look back at your percent. You now have 35% . Now look down. Back to me. Now look at your stock. Now look at my fist. It's a flaming falcon. Now look at your stock. Your missing a stock. Look again, now your getting knee'd. Look at your screen the match is over. I'm on a Landmaster.
Comedy GOLD! I'll keep these in mind for the future... I remember Euro-training.

Not giving a ****. :troll: Grabbing you by the balls, there you go. Following it up with U Air, that's how I do them combos! What's is that? Perfect oppertunity! Make room for my FALCON KNEE!
Dude, it the KNEE OF JUSTICE!!

I used to have the Smash Melee Prima guide and that's what it was officially called apparently. I've always loved that name. I always reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZ_ebFJm9A

Every time I landed one on someone I'd just Jump up and yell JUSTICE!!

**** was funny, good times man...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Hyper you where basically only saying 'Sheik = Zelda in Smash so Sheik STAYS Zelda in Smash' as your main argument. So yeah, I didn't bother too much replying to your argument. See what you mean right now though, but I honestly doubt that Ghirahim would make it, and Impa not. At least, I don't expect to ever see the combination of Ghirahim and Sheik. If they gonna go SS-style, we'll most likely get Impa. Why? Cause with Sheik, they already have a good base character for a moveset.
Ghirahim was better than Impa in that game too. No, I doubt Impa was ever likely.

What scares me however is a Zelda roster with Ghirahim, Tingle and Sheik. 3 of the most... controversial Zelda characters ever, in one game. Paranoid parents would ban the **** out of Zelda games for their children forever. :troll:
Most viable options? I like it.

Personally, what I'd like most is:

Link (plays a bit lke a heavier Toon Link- SS-style, with Skyward Strike for Side B)
Zelda / Impa (a few duo moves)
Ganondorf (OoT3DS style, moveset revamp based on OoT boss fight)
Young Link (MM-styled, with no masks however. Keeps the classic 'bomb, arrow, boomerang'-playstyle)
Skull Kid (**** yeah, Skull Kid. Even has some TP-based moves with that flute and puppets)
*Ghirahim* (depending on ammount of Mario characters / ammount of playble characters in general)
Impa as her own separate character or no dice. Sheik must not be removed. Rest are viable, respectively. I'd rather Vaati over Skull Kid, as he plays a bigger villain role overall. And has just as much characterization.

Only seems likely if MM gets a remake, which I doubt. But this is what I would think is ideally, to my preferences. A more likely scenario:

Link
Zelda
Impa
Ghirahim
Ganondorf
...That's not likely at all. They will not omit a Child Link. Nor Sheik. Sheik goes back to Zelda, add in some kind of Child Link, and then it's a realistic roster. Link and Child Link cannot and will not leave.(only Link that ever was not important was the Adult one, but he gets in on veteran status alone) Impa... and Ghirahim? Replace one or the other with a now-SS character. I suggest Tingle or Vaati, personally. I'd say Ghirahim with Vaati, just so we can keep Fat Impa in(mainly so she's not a lame clone of Shiek)

Please stop acting like Shiek being gone or Child Link being gone are likely, because they never will be. The permanent roster that is likely(before changes) will always be Link, Child Link, Zelda/Shiek, Ganondorf. Everything else is free to be added after that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Totally unrelated, yet relevant in some ways:

I call it Thunder Knee. But Knee of JUSTICE is a good name to.

Hyper, I'd almost take you seriously if you didn't start about Fat Impa. :rolleyes:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Comedy GOLD! I'll keep these in mind for the future... I remember Euro-training.

Dude, it the KNEE OF JUSTICE!!

I used to have the Smash Melee Prima guide and that's what it was officially called apparently. I've always loved that name. I always reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZ_ebFJm9A

Every time I landed one on someone I'd just Jump up and yell JUSTICE!!

**** was funny, good times man...
Had to make. Everything just works so perfectly! The trio,
the harp = guitar, the birds... EVERYTHING makes sense!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Didn't know that show, but it kinda reminds me of Action League Now.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically The Falcon Friends should consist of Captain Falcon, Falco, and Takamaru if the theme of names is played with.

Though ironically, Falco is not a falcon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't need a character poll this time around, or if he does have one it'll be for just stages/music.
My recollections on the subject are quite vague, but I -believe- the Stickerbrush Symphony music was chosen through a poll where users could submit any requests they wanted for Smash, including stages and music.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmm, the manga chapters are definitely longer than some other mangas I've been reading, this may take a while. Is also kinda weird to read the manga first before playing the game. lol

Also $5 says the original manga characters make it into the remake.

The other things I expect in a FE6 remake:
- Ninian is made to be Roy's canon mother, and Roy's dragon blood is somehow tied into or mentioned in the plot.
- Lyn shows up (though she will be a playable unit and not look as haggard as Eliwood and Hector did). She should be around 35-45 in FE6 considering she was 15-16 in FE7 (at least in the Japanese version).
- A Book 2 for FE6 is made.
- Roy gets promoted much earlier (I am guessing Chapter 16).

As for another character poll, I think it would be feasible for him not to do another one this time. Keep in mind that if he does do one this time, Smash 4 will have been in development for far longer than when he did the poll for Melee and Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Those are some neat changes to FE6 Chrono.

And yeah, Lyn would be nice to have playable in there to. She'd make a great addition, though I don't know where she would fit in. She could also be the Athos-like character. Maybe she could cannonly be paired with Rath? Thus Sue being her child. Maybe make the Ilia route cannon, and you basically fight the Djute clan as Lyn, Rath, Dayan and a few other new soldiers (coupled maybe with some NPC nomad warriors)?

Would love to control as Hector a few chapters as well. Perhaps a prologue, and a suicide mission (where you take on Mamkutes and the Dragon Lords of Bern for a minimum of 15 turns -perhaps to stall out the Dragon Lords / prevent them from attacking Eliwood and Lilina-). It would do his character justice I feel. And further emphasise on the sadness of his death.

Eliwood could also be in a couple of chapters, considering he took Roy's place as head of the Lycian Army, and had to defend the country from within it's borders from Bern. He and a couple of other Lycian warriors would make a nice addition to the story.

FE Book 2 would also have a lot of potential I feel. But whoa, this game would be HUGE! FE7, including Lyn's, Hector's and Eliwood's stories, coupled with FE6 and even FE6 Book 2... Might just become the best game ever!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Those are some neat changes to FE6 Chrono.

And yeah, Lyn would be nice to have playable in there to. She'd make a great addition, though I don't know where she would fit in. She could also be the Athos-like character.
I don't think she would be an Athos-like character. In the original FE6, you already had Karel as the overpowered swordmaster that showed up at the very end. I think its possible she could be another Eyvel, who was a Jeigan-like swordmaster in FE5 that was part of your army at the beginning of the game (though Eyvel ended up leaving your army after Chapter 3 and was not re-recruited again until the second-to-final chapter).

However, I don't see her being another Eyvel either. She will probably just be another swordmaster that is recruited along the way. IS will probably think of a way to include her that does not involve taking the Sacae route in FE6.

Also, looked into the character ages. Lyn was 15 in FE7, and considering FE6 takes place 20 years after FE7, she would be 35 in FE6.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe have her re-appear as reinforcement for Eliwood and his army somehow? Dunno any other posibilities, cause it would change the original FE6 too much perhaps.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I the whole problem of parentage for Roy is one of the reasons why I'd like a FE6 remake to be combined with an FE7 one. That way, how you play FE7 would affect who shows up/who's whose mother in FE6.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Maybe have her re-appear as reinforcement for Eliwood and his army somehow? Dunno any other posibilities, cause it would change the original FE6 too much perhaps.
FE12 retconned quite a bit of FE3 Book 2, most notably character deaths. However, I still think Hector would die in the FE6 remake because it was a plot important death (much like Lawrence and Hardin who still died in FE12, while the other characters who died got retconned back to life still their deaths were not important to the plot). So making Lyn some elite Lycian (or Sacaen or Etrurian) soldier who shows up in one of the chapter would not be a big deal compared to the changes they made with FE12.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How about playing those actual chapters with Hector and Eliwood though? Do you think that's also possible? Cause damn, I'd wanna kick the ***** of everyone trying to kill Hector, as Hector. A hopeless battle, fought to outstall the enemy invading Lycia even futher. Or perhaps, have a mission to at least defeat all Dragon Lords (though they'd not die in the story) so they cannot attack? Then when the mission is over, either Zephiel or Idoun (as Druid) gravely wounds him and leaves him to death till Roy comes? Lucius could jump in to help as well, as maybe a couple of other FE7 veterans as Oswin? Though, they'd also obviously get killed in the story.

Eliwood's army could have Rebecca, Kent, Sain, Wil, Dorcas and Dart in it as well. Maybe you'd fight a few battles with them to prevent much of Bern's army going full force against Roy's army? Or some of Eutruria's rebel forces would try to help Bern, and Eliwood further prevents this?

Just wonder what kind of enemy would show up as FE6's book 2 though? Hopefully it's not like FE3 b2 / FE12 though where 'enemy becomes friend' becomes the plotline. :rolleyes: But perhaps something related to the Dragon's Gate? Rebel Dragons hearing Yahn's plea (telepatically messaged them before he died or something?) coming to take over Elibe perhaps?

Talked about the same thing with Manly though. Hopefully he'll also read this and throw in ideas.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey, you guys! This is as conservative as I can get without becoming too liberal regarding cutting/replacing veterans and adding newcomers. I also sprinkled a few conservative surprises here and there but it's more than enough to anger fans into clamoring for SSB5 when the final roster is leaked. :troll:

[COLLAPSE="50 slots, 54 playable characters"]MARIO - 7
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario

POKEMON - 5
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer Gold [2nd gen starter Pokemon]
Zoroark

No Lucario and Pokemon Trainer Red? Suddenly they are the most-wanted Pokemon characters for SSB5 among Smash fans.

ZELDA - 5
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Impa
Toon Link

No Sheik? Time to complain to Sakurai about getting Zelda's old Down+B move back so we can have Sheik back in SSB5. :rolleyes:

DONKEY KONG - 4
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie & Kiddy
King K. Rool

Why is Kiddy Kong in the game? Time to demand Sakurai to cut Kiddy Kong and make Dixie Kong a standalone fighter in SSB5.

KIRBY - 4
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Waddle Dee

STAR FOX - 3
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Why didn't they add Krystal or a fourth Star Fox character? Time to yiff for Krystal to get in SSB5! :troll:

FIRE EMBLEM - 2
Marth
Chrom

No Ike or Roy? Now they are the most-wanted Fire Emblem characters for SSB5 among Smash fans. We need more female characters and characters who don't use swords!

KID ICARUS - 2
Pit
Palutena

METROID - 2
Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

MOTHER - 2
Ness
Lucas

20th CENTURY - 7
Balloon Fighter
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Little Mac
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Takamaru

Ruh-roh! Time to flock to Mach Rider and Sukapon for SSB5! Sakurai likes Mach Rider and Sukapon is from a fighting game! They were not considered for Melee! They need to be in Smash! We need more F-Zero characters for SSB5!

21st CENTURY - 4
Mii
Olimar
Shulk
Villager [Animal Crossing]

Casual gamers get characters from Wii Sports and Animal Crossing but hardcore gamers only get Shulk? Time to clamor for Isaac, Saki, Starfy, etc. to get in SSB5.

THIRD PARTY - 3
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

No Snake? Time to badger Kojima into badgering Sakurai to add Snake in SSB5 via Twitter. :awesome:[/COLLAPSE]

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I kinda like it though man. But where is you're personal favorite? You could swap him for Balloon Fighter or Mii perhaps? I'd also toss out the Villager for Ike. And rather have Red than Gold, but it's a good list.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda like it though man. But where is you're personal favorite? You could swap him for Balloon Fighter or Mii perhaps? I'd also toss out the Villager for Ike. And rather have Red than Gold, but it's a good list.
My personal favorites would be Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, Tingle, Captain N, King Hippo, Masked Link, Simon Belmont, Starfy, either Isaac or Matthew (they are the same to me anyway), Medusa, Magnus, Muddy Mole, and many others I cannot think of right now... but I didn't include them in the roster because they are not conservative or likely choices at this current time.

The risky choices are Villager, Mii, Kiddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer Gold, and possibly Waddle Dee. The rest of the newcomers are the ones I perceive as conservative choices (and I would lump Impa with the conservative ones because she is basically a RENAMED Sheik in Smash, though not in Zelda). At least some of my favorite characters are conservative like Toad, Little Mac, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Palutena, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

As for your suggestion, if I were to swap Balloon Fighter for someone else... I would totally pick Duck Hunt Dog! :awesome: Villager is pretty cool, at least he would use axes because we know Fire Emblem characters aren't going to use magic or other weapons besides swords in Smash. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wonder how many people would support Sheik for the next Smash if she where to get cut from the roster though. My estimate: not too many.

Of coarse, that'd be if we'd get Impa ofcoarse.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hyper, I'd almost take you seriously if you didn't start about Fat Impa. :rolleyes:
You mean the non-clone version that has a better chance? It's either clone or Fat Impa gets in with Sheik. Your call which. Doesn't matter to me. But I prefer Fat Impa because she's badass by herself. Nobody lifts up cows like she does. Also, we lack any portly women in the game and it would actually be kind of neat to have real diversity. Bowser is a turtle dragon, so it says nothing. DK's a giant ape, so again, says nothing.(or was it gorilla? Meh)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Considering how much your love for Impa is making everyone despise her, I'd say there would be a lot of people that would rather have Sheik over Impa any day.

Just thinking of the idea of Impa is pretty foolhardy to begin with.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
You really want Impa...

I guess she'll be pretty cool. I can see the trailer now:

They can even have Young Impa as an ALT costume.
:troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's not, she is awesome. And much better skinny. AND YOUNG!

My rantings about her vs Sheik have nothing to do with anything.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Between the unused characters from Brawl, and the lack of new characters, I'd say this is probably true. Like I said before, if there is any developer who's judgment I trust, it's his.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
While people may criticize his choices, he does pay attention to stuff. Logically speaking he will go after the stuff that people will want first and foremost, then try to expand on that with some unexpected choices for the sake of diversity.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, no, I meant the one from the Oracle games. I mean, I want her to still look somewhat presentable. Her elderly version is not a good seller. Her portly but still very good looking(cleaned up nicely, lack of wrinkles, large bosom) however...

Just to clarify, I mean the non-elderly "Fat Impa". Also, I hope me using Fat isn't honestly offending anyone. I'll say Big Impa if that works better for everyone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah whatever. So what makes you think they'd pick an outdated version with no plot influence whatsoever, neither fighting skills above a far more recent character that has both those things for example?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah whatever. So what makes you think they'd pick an outdated version with no plot influence whatsoever, neither fighting skills above a far more recent character that has both those things for example?
Because New!Impa's only real difference between her and Sheik is a measly shield?

Where as we have an entirely unique character go from. Recency is irrelevant, so that's a moot point. I wouldn't say Fat Impa can't fight at all, cause she clearly has superhuman strength, and that's more than enough(she'd give DK a run for his money). She has plot influence in the Oracle games, actually. Without her, the plot couldn't continue. Sure, she's somewhat of your Exposition Fairy, but she does specifically do things in the plot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A measly shield / barrier, an actual fighting style, Deku Nuts as down B (Sheik will always lack a down B), magic orb attacks and abilities as the 'Sage of Shadow' should be enough for inspiration. It's much better than playing the harp, then disaspear. :smirk: Though Impa even does that... When she's too old to do anything else.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A measly shield / barrier, an actual fighting style, Deku Nuts as down B (Sheik will always lack a down B), magic orb attacks and abilities as the 'Sage of Shadow' should be enough for inspiration. It's much better than playing the harp, then disaspear. :smirk: Though Impa even does that... When she's too old to do anything else.
She has the Magic Orbs in SS? I know of the Shields, but that's it. Wii is still down, oy.

Deku Nut is not SS Impa, so I was only counting the version you are in love with. Sage of Shadow does not exist unless we're using every trick she has, in which case, Fat Impa could do all of that anyway. Because those aren't really specific to ninjas by far.

Not exactly convincing, since there's one Impa overall, not multiple(from what I remember). She clearly is the great of Sheikah, cause she's immortal age-wise!

Deku Nut would be even worse with Fat Impa. Do it, stun them, move up to them and do a very powerful hit, while they can do nothing. Makes a lucky Falcon Punch look like nothing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa, like Zelda, Ganondorf and Link, re-incarnates. So yeah, if SS or TP Zelda can use Din's Fire for example, why can't Impa throw Deku Nuts?

She uses a ball of magic in the same cutscene as she uses the barrier, though for different reasons. I'd always like to think that such a move would replace the Needles, and would slow down the enemy a little (like the Timer item) for a limited time.

But if all else fails, Impa could easily take Sheik's moveset and be done with it, cause after all, she instructed Zelda to become Sheik in OoT, thus learned her how to fight. Part of this is also reason why it'd be very suitable to have Impa replace Sheik.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Impa, like Zelda, Ganondorf and Link, re-incarnates. So yeah, if SS or TP Zelda can use Din's Fire for example, why can't Impa throw Deku Nuts?
I didn't say she couldn't. I wasn't sure what if you wanted a straight version or a combination of them all.

She uses a ball of magic in the same cutscene as she uses the barrier, though for different reasons. I'd always like to think that such a move would replace the Needles, and would slow down the enemy a little (like the Timer item) for a limited time.
Impa doesn't have needles anyway. That works.

But if all else fails, Impa could easily take Sheik's moveset and be done with it, cause after all, she instructed Zelda to become Sheik in OoT, thus learned her how to fight. Part of this is also reason why it'd be very suitable to have Impa replace Sheik.
Isn't it only somewhat suggested that Impa trained Sheik and not actually a fact? And no. Sounds lame.

Impa can be her own character without replacing anyone. She's not worth if it she's a less popular replacement of a Smash Veteran. Some similar A moves? Fine. A full replacement. No thanks. Goes too far.

She is not a suitable replacement because she's not a super popular character and fans would not be happy for Sheik, who IS Zelda, to be replaced by an overrated secondary character who only does a small bit in one game and tiny roles in the rest. I'm willing to listen to your ideas, but not the replacement ones. Drop those, and we can continue the conversation.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think if Sheik was a terrible character in competitive play, and thus had a smaller and less rabid following as a result, she could be cut far more seamlessly. Because she is an excellent character (particularly in Melee), however, she's here to stay. Those unfamiliar with Sheik and Impa's roles within LoZ would not view Impa as a replacement, and would only view Sheik as a horrible loss.

D

Deleted member

Roy isn't that great in the competitive sense, yet still retains popularity just for being a redhead with a flaming sword.
I'm sure losing "Ninja Zelda" (that's pretty much what Sheik is) would cause similar issue even if she wasn't near the top in competitive game in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom