• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mewtwo and Roy don't so much count far as that though since they're as popular and requested in the East as they are in the West.

And again, I'd say it's more-so Rare that's responsible for Americans embracing the past than Pokemon or FE, but I guess that's debatable.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
And of course, keep in mind Frost that there is also an importance list BETWEEN franchises. I think I made a tier list of this (it's around here somewhere).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I find this very funny as people here are one or the other depending on the character. The whole Impa-Sheik debate is pretty much this subverted while Fire Emblem and Pokemon play this recurrence straight.
Maybe it's differences with age groups?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you made your list solely on importance to the main plot of the series, it should be re-ordered (and Waluigi should have 0/10)
You're making the small mistake of assuming everyone thinks that the Main Mario series is just the Platformers. There is no true declared main ones. The Platformers is one set of series, then there's the RPG's, Karts, Sports, and Parties.

None have been declared a main series. Also, according to Word of God, they all happen and are just as important so far. Shigeru has put 0 importance on any series whatsoever. I wouldn't be calling anything "main series" at this point, it's an incorrect term and the creator does not consider anything like that.

However, he does lack a Platformers(and Wario) appearance, which means he lacks importance in the Platformers only. He was a major villain of two games(DDR Mario Mix and Mario Party 3), so he does have a role in the story(the thing is, every game is part of the overall story, there's just multiple storylines). He's been in everything else(not counting the Dr. Mario or Yoshi games, but of regular Mario games). He has importance to the series as a whole.

D

Deleted member

One question, people always bring up what the Japanese fanbase says in regard to what's more popular and whatnot.

What sites are you guys using?

Can I get a source?

The most popular forums in Japan are 2channel and Futaba Channel. Futaba is pretty much inaccessible to anyone who is not whitelisted with posting rights, which pretty much everyone without a legitamate Japanese IP (proxies don't work I've tried). You can still browse, but not post. And I lurk Futaba from time to time, but I've never come across a Smash Bros thread.

2channel on the other hand is a BBS, much more text heavy, and is mostly dedicated to news and the like, it doesn't lend itself much to speculation.

But if anyone can post a link to a thread on Futaba or 2channel or whatever other forum you guys are sourcing I'd appreciate it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Let me clarify on what I mean regarding to my past statement towards Americans and Japanese having different views and how that is influenced by speculation.

-The Japanese are more fond of cute things, while Americans are more fond of tough things.
All right, so lets just say that this part is not full proof but it is a reliable generalization. It is influenced to an extent when viewing characters in particular.

Currently regarding to the western side of things we have Ridley and Little Mac that notably stand out. Ridley is of course a humongous alien dragon that is blood thirsty for violence, and Little Mac being a boxer capable of taking foes double his size. Though there is no comparison from the eastern side of things, Palutena and Dixie Kong have notably higher amounts of requests. Palutena is of course the Goddess of Light who's antics range from sweet to mischievous and can be viewed as a sisterly figure of sorts, and Dixie Kong is a adorable spunky little Kong that has been shown to be quite capable in her own right.

Even the two "mainly requested" third party characters Mega Man and Sonic have shades of this. Both Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man have success across the nation, but it's worth noting that Sonic the Hedgehog is more popular in the west while Mega Man is more popular in the east. This mainly contributed to the different influences; Sonic has an emphasis on totally radical coolness, edgy designs, and cheesy rock music, while Mega Man often uses more soft toning with emphasis on more anime tropes and pop music.

-The Japanese embrace the present, while Americans embrace the past.
This is notably interesting in my opinion, because the label of "Retro" is often applied to the western side far more then the eastern side. While you may see mentions of Takamaru, Mach Rider, Jack Sheriff, Duck Hunt Dog, Prince Sable, and Muddy Mole on western territories, they don't show up much on the eastern side of things. This type of support from the western side of things was why Pit was included and was even pointed out by Sakurai himself.

Regarding to the series already established, there is a notable trend regarding to Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon in particular. In the west there is a notable nostalgia barrier of sorts where people view the earlier installments as more superior then modern installments, while in Japan it's more roughly even across the board with a slight preference for more modern releases.

-The Japanese have more of a sense of comparing, while Americans have a sense of contrasting.
This is more of a perspective thing from general views. In Japan people view blending in as a view of promoting unity, while America embraces individually as a form of expressing themselves. Regarding to Super Smash Bros., it's why in the east people are much more tolerable of the clones then the west and may be one reason why Roy and Pichu are higher there then in the west. It's also why people in the west often try to look for more interesting characters that can have unique movesets, even if it means resorting to trash like Krystal.

D

Deleted member

I really can't comment on that Habanero...
There's a lot of truth behind what you're saying, but most of those are sort of generalizations and stereotypes.

My experience in Spain taught me many things about how accurate those sorts of things tend to be, there's always a degree of truth behind them, but modern societies are so diverse yet connected, that you really find a bit of everything. Like I said, it's really hard to give you an honest opinion on what you're suggesting, as I've never been to Japan, nor have I met enough Japanese people to be able to make an accurate judgement on their society. I mean, there are certain aspects about Japanese culture that are true, such as politeness and cleanliness, but like with Spain, you'll always find dozens of exception. In fact, those trends tend to make up a smaller part of the general population than people think.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'm gone for one day and 15 pages go by. Oh my, that's hard to keep up with.

I'm pretty sure comparing and contrasting mean... teh same thing.

I don't even know where to go from there. Anything I could say seems to be taken by the time I could say it, and then it's too much it seems. well now im just rambling.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think they mean two different things.

Compare = "oh, look how alike they are!"
Contrast = "oh, look how different they are!"

:phone:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
You're making the small mistake of assuming everyone thinks that the Main Mario series is just the Platformers. There is no true declared main ones. The Platformers is one set of series, then there's the RPG's, Karts, Sports, and Parties.

None have been declared a main series. Also, according to Word of God, they all happen and are just as important so far. Shigeru has put 0 importance on any series whatsoever. I wouldn't be calling anything "main series" at this point, it's an incorrect term and the creator does not consider anything like that.
The Mario series, of course, has close to zero continuity anyway outside of the most bare basics. The only exception is the RPGs, and even then half the time they mention continuity or past events only to make fun of how little continuity matters in Mario games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

However, he does lack a Platformers(and Wario) appearance, which means he lacks importance in the Platformers only. He was a major villain of two games(DDR Mario Mix and Mario Party 3), so he does have a role in the story(the thing is, every game is part of the overall story, there's just multiple storylines). He's been in everything else(not counting the Dr. Mario or Yoshi games, but of regular Mario games). He has importance to the series as a whole.
I was going by the logic that Frostwraith was using (before he clarified), in that importance was based primarily on direct effect to the main overarching plot of the series (which doesn't really apply so well to Mario as it does to Metroid). As I said, importance is made up of more than plot importance, so I would agree Waluigi's importance would be higher than if just times he had a major direct effect on the plot were counted (which is only a handful of times in the series, which granted, wouldn't be 0/10... but would be like 1/10, considering the scope of the Mario series). Sure, he appears a lot in spin-offs, but so do many other characters, and in the majority of those games he plays no higher role than any of them, which really doesn't much affect his "importance" from a storyline standpoint.

So... yeah, only counting times he was integral to the plot, his importance, (considering every Mario game) would be a little higher than... zero, but it's the other factors, like his "recognizability" and popularity that push him higher, which is what I was saying.

Really though, we can treat all the Mario series as equal, even though the general consensus is that the platformers are the "main" Mario games, because either way it's pretty clear the "Super Mario" series gets the majority of representation and content in Smash, so prioritizing it above the other sub-series isn't an illogical thing to do, speculation-wise.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Crud, now trying to think what Nintendo series has the most continuity. Probably Metroid, although Zelda is close (albeit far more spread out due to the the branching timelines), and Mother also has a lot, although some of it is very subtle. Pokemon is mainly all self-contained stories but there are some references....

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
So there is supposed to be a Nintendo direct on January 31st right, what do you think they will show and how will it affect smash 4

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So there is supposed to be a Nintendo direct on January 31st right, what do you think they will show and how will it affect smash 4
Other than in that rumor, has there been any sort of confirmation about actually getting a Direct on the 31st? If your only source is that rumor, I wouldn't get your hopes up about there being a Direct. The rumor is almost definitely fake.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There isn't going to be a Nintendo Direct on January 31st. Anyone believing in that low brow Namco "employee" with his lies is a lowly sheep.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Oh that came from that namco guy, dang, :(, I forgot it came from that guy

Still, I feel like they might do a Nintendo direct, mainly due to the fact there is not a lot of info on luigi's mansion dark moon

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Gamingboy: Actually, that's a bit off; Every game happens, no exceptions. That's Word of God. They just do that at different times, that's all. There's no specific order of games, though.

@N3ON: Hardly. While it's true the Mario series references the platformers often, it's not without other series at all. Smash itself never took into account what was a main series or not. For instance, why is Waluigi an AT over Daisy, who's been part of the regular platformers?(albeit, one game, but she's been among them) Or even Kamek, who's an actual regular part of the Yoshi series? Sakurai does not care what's "main series" or not and never has. Hell, Pikachu's first Smash appearance is more based upon the Anime than the games. Thunder Jolt? The name originated from the TCG as a mistranslation. The actual move only appears once in the Anime episode, "The Problem with Paras", and that episode came out in Japanese a long time before Smash.(forget the exact months, but even close to a year) Also, Pikachu could not learn Headbutt in the games regularly, but has it in Smash. Pikachu did attack like that in the anime, same with kicks.

So really, what you're saying is not exactly true; Sakurai takes from any source he finds usable.

As for Waluigi, he's as important as Daisy, having a near equal important role among the entire list of games(and since the main series does not legitimately exist outside of the fandom), he has been more important than her by one more game.(Daisy is unimportant in Mario Party 3, just a meh boss, Waluigi actually did have some more importance, and he's the penultimate boss of DDR: Mario Mix). So his importance is still low, but 1/10 is way too low. He played as much of a villain as Kamek did, for starters.(Kammy is the Paper Mario version, not Kamek, but she's clearly a remake of him) So considering everything, a minimum of 3/10. He was atleast a major villain.

Unrelated, for Zelda characters, Tingle is actually pretty badass. Outside of Link and one Skull Kid, he's the only one travel among dimensions, made slaves out of his own kin(and another guy), has 3 games under his belt, and stole more money from Link than any other characters. Oh, and he has more starring games where you play as him than Zelda herself.(albeit, those two games are not part of the official series, but still, he deserves a bit of credit)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Idk, Sakurai did just put out that "Don't expect any smash news for a while" statement. Unless his definition of "a while" is a little over a month. I am always hoping for the best. I doubt it though, the whole Namco "employee" thing seems a bit fake.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
@Gamingboy: Actually, that's a bit off; Every game happens, no exceptions. That's Word of God. They just do that at different times, that's all. There's no specific order of games, though.
I presume you are talking about Mario.

Yes, I admit that ALL of the Mario games happened (except for CD-I, I hope), but what I meant by there being "no continuity" was that it is rare, for example, for an event in one game to be directly referenced in another game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I presume you are talking about Mario.

Yes, I admit that ALL of the Mario games happened (except for CD-I, I hope), but what I meant by there being "no continuity" was that it is rare, for example, for an event in one game to be directly referenced in another game.
No, there is continuity for certain games. But there is no "major" one. As in, there's no one exact order, but there's different sets of storylines. While the Mario Parties have zip to do with eachother outside of some recurring characters, Karts and the rpg's(with sequels) do happen after eachother. Same with some platformer gamers, and the sports.

Like many could say Sunshine happens right after Mario World, where 64 could've easily happened right after Super Mario Bros. 3. Galaxy clearly has a sequel in Galaxy 2, and that probably happened after Sunshine. And the New Super Mario Bros. have their own continuity.

To put it simply, there's multiple continuities, but no "combined" one.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Waluigi seems like a pretty likely rep if you ask me. Writer it be to the wario series because he has more of a relavence to wario, or Mario because of his appearances in the sports and kart games. He seems likely either way.

But where wario has no other stand out rep, Mario has another version of himself, Paper Mario, and I think he'd get in as a Mario rep before waluigi because of sakurai's logic of "half of his games have him in a different form" or whatever mumbo jumbo he used to include toon link, but wario. Now wario's only other contenders would be like 9-volt or Ashly. Which seem....lower than likely

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Again, Mona would be the ideal choice IF we had to get another Wario rep for whatever reason. Because it's implied that she and Wario have gone together on adventures and her general fondness of Wario.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I doubt WaLuigi has a chance to be brutally honest. WaLuigi (and someone can correct me if i'm wrong) can't be grouped with Wario; on account of Wario being under his own 2 series Warioware/Wario Land. That of which WaLuigi hasn't appeared in. WaLuigi only appears in the Mario Allstar games (ex Mario Kart, Tennis, Soccer, Baseball, Party...)

Personally, I think having character like Mona or Ashley is a more reasonable bet.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Again, Mona would be the ideal choice IF we had to get another Wario rep for whatever reason. Because it's implied that she and Wario have gone together on adventures and her general fondness of Wario.
I believed it was more obvious in the Japanese instruction manuals of the games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@N3ON: Hardly. While it's true the Mario series references the platformers often, it's not without other series at all. Smash itself never took into account what was a main series or not. For instance, why is Waluigi an AT over Daisy, who's been part of the regular platformers?(albeit, one game, but she's been among them) Or even Kamek, who's an actual regular part of the Yoshi series? Sakurai does not care what's "main series" or not and never has. Hell, Pikachu's first Smash appearance is more based upon the Anime than the games. Thunder Jolt? The name originated from the TCG as a mistranslation. The actual move only appears once in the Anime episode, "The Problem with Paras", and that episode came out in Japanese a long time before Smash.(forget the exact months, but even close to a year) Also, Pikachu could not learn Headbutt in the games regularly, but has it in Smash. Pikachu did attack like that in the anime, same with kicks.

So really, what you're saying is not exactly true; Sakurai takes from any source he finds usable.
I never said the Mario content was devoid of representation from the non-platformer series, just that the platformer series content made up the majority of it. You're right in that Smash never made a distinction between Mario sub-series (except with the music), but the fact that excluding collectible stuff such as trophies and stickers (which I should've mentioned before), the vast majority of content is from the "Super Mario" series, not Mario Party, not the RPGs, not Mario Kart (though some is from Mario Kart). Look at the Mario stages in Smash: one from the "Mario Kart" sub-series, one from the Mario arcade games, one from the "Luigi's Mansion" sub-series, and eight from the "platformer" series. 2/3 of the ATs are from the "platformer" series while the other is Waluigi. 14/23 Mario songs in Brawl are from the "platformer" series while the others are divided between other sub-series, with only three not from the platformer or Mario Kart series. Again, I'm not saying there isn't any content from the other Mario sub-series (I'm not quite sure where you inferred that from), just that in Smash, the "Super Mario" series has made up, and will almost guaranteed continue to make up, the majority of the Mario content.

So... yeah, Waluigi made it in over Daisy most likely because he is more popular and possibly because Sakurai thought either he had more to work with, or Daisy didn't have enough to work with, or because Daisy is already one of Peach's colours. As for Kamek... in Smash he'd probably be part of the Yoshi series... so those two aren't really as comparable. Again, I never said Sakurai didn't use content from non-platforming Mario series, just that the platforming content makes up the majority.

Yeah, Sakurai takes from any source he finds merit in, I never said anything in opposition to that, but as the Mario platformers are the most prominent and by and large the most popular aspect of the series, he primarily takes from that. I never said he didn't, or couldn't, or hasn't taken from other Mario sub-series, just that that content is the comparative minority, which it is.

As for Waluigi, he's as important as Daisy, having a near equal important role among the entire list of games(and since the main series does not legitimately exist outside of the fandom), he has been more important than her by one more game.(Daisy is unimportant in Mario Party 3, just a meh boss, Waluigi actually did have some more importance, and he's the penultimate boss of DDR: Mario Mix). So his importance is still low, but 1/10 is way too low. He played as much of a villain as Kamek did, for starters.(Kammy is the Paper Mario version, not Kamek, but she's clearly a remake of him) So considering everything, a minimum of 3/10. He was atleast a major villain.
I'd agree they have around the same level of importance, though Daisy has appeared in more of the Mario series than Waluigi has (if only due to SML), and was chosen as the Double Dash character for Mario Kart 7 over Waluigi. They also both regularly appear in most spin-offs (or I guess Mario spin-offs don't exist, because there isn't a main Mario series :rolleyes:). In reality, neither is too important, but Waluigi does have a great deal more popularity than Daisy. And again, you've taken me out of context. I only gave Waluigi a 1/10 based solely on his role in the storyline of the collective Mario series (all of them), which I also said was a poor way to measure importance. I never said or thought that his actual importance was 1/10. I actually agreed with the score Frostwraith gave him (I think it was a 5?), I just disagreed with Frostwraith's apparent logic behind how he scored him, and said by that logic he should've been much lower.

Being a major villain in two games doesn't equate to a major villain in the entire series though.

Unrelated, for Zelda characters, Tingle is actually pretty badass. Outside of Link and one Skull Kid, he's the only one travel among dimensions, made slaves out of his own kin(and another guy), has 3 games under his belt, and stole more money from Link than any other characters. Oh, and he has more starring games where you play as him than Zelda herself.(albeit, those two games are not part of the official series, but still, he deserves a bit of credit)
Yeah, although I don't really support him and wouldn't really advocate for him either, unlike most westerners I don't hate Tingle, and would be fine with his inclusion in Smash. I think he merits it more than any other currently non-playable Zelda character.

D

Deleted member

I swear if Pokemon #666 isn't some demonic legendary of sorts.....

Anyways, the whole "mainstream" Mario argument crap again?
There is no "mainstream" Mario game. Literally.
Why? Because even the Super Mario games are spin-offs.
Spin-offs of WHAT, you may ask? Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong is the original game that had series that spun-off from it; the Super Mario series and the Donkey Kong Country series.
It's just that those series have been further spun-off with other titles and series such as Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Island, Wario Land, WarioWare, Donkey Konga, etc.

Hell, WarioWare is the best example of a multi-generationial spin-off.
Donkey Kong->Super Mario->Wario Land->WarioWare. It's a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off.

So really, how does being a "spin-off" mean anything?

And to settle the whole "DK is a subseries of Mario" thing that will make Diddy rage, the best option is to refer to the DK series as a partner series to Mario as MarioWiki puts it. Same with Yoshi's Island and Wario. They are all partner series, not "subseries".

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Just saying, I <3 this. Unpopular opinion right here.... but Mona & Waluigi SSB4 for the win! :awesome:

I swear if Pokemon #666 isn't some demonic legendary of sorts.....

Anyways, the whole "mainstream" Mario argument crap again?
There is no "mainstream" Mario game. Literally.
Why? Because even the Super Mario games are spin-offs.
Spin-offs of WHAT, you may ask? Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong is the original game that had series that spun-off from it; the Super Mario series and the Donkey Kong Country series.
It's just that those series have been further spun-off with other titles and series such as Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Island, Wario Land, WarioWare, Donkey Konga, etc.

Hell, WarioWare is the best example of a multi-generationial spin-off.
Donkey Kong->Super Mario->Wario Land->WarioWare. It's a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off.

So really, how does being a "spin-off" mean anything?

And to settle the whole "DK is a subseries of Mario" thing that will make Diddy rage, the best option is to refer to the DK series as a partner series to Mario as MarioWiki puts it. Same with Yoshi's Island and Wario. They are all partner series, not "subseries".
I agree with this 100%. I never really considered them to be subseries, but rather an adjacent partner series to each other. This makes them all merit each others' qualities instead of saying one spawned the other

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Whether it is a spin off or not each character is just simply grouped into one main series and branded with an icon.

Sure characters and franchises may have came out of another franchise in a Russian doll fashion, each character has established themselves in there own series. So the whole spin off thing is utter bull 5h!t..

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Thimble Theatre->Popeye->Donkey Kong->Super Mario->Wario Land->WarioWare. It's a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off.

That's all i got...
Don't forget Game & Wario. It's apparently a spin-off of WarioWare, not a new installment.

Edit:
Remember, Wario spun out of the Mario Land games, which could be considered spinoffs. In that case:
DK -> Mario Bros. -> Mario Land > Wario Land -> Wario Ware -> Game & Wario.

Edit: For got to add: BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong is not a Popeye spin-off.
It may have been made due to Nintendo not being able to use the rights to the Popeye characters, it is not a part of Popeye.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Don't forget Game & Wario. It's apparently a spin-off of WarioWare, not a new installment.

Edit:
Remember, Wario spun out of the Mario Land, which could be considered spinoffs. In that case:
DK -> Mario Bros. -> Mario Land > Wario Land -> Wario Ware -> Game & Wario.

*Brain self-destructs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom