• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@Young Horsetail

you misunderstand my intent with that comment. i'm saying that putting Pac-Man in a he's boring therefore he sucks mentality is a slap in the face to the gaming industry. contrary to his "boring" nature he has withstood the test of time and is still very popular.(albeit not as popular as he used to be) my bad though i probably worded it in a more aggresive way than i meant. problem is the only reason i have ever heard anyone say Pac-Man shouldnt be in Smash is because he is not interesting as other Namco reps which really isnt true at all.
Hope you can prove it to them then if you really know how and how you think Pac-Man can be interesting. Like Manly said, I can't find Pac very interesting as a fighter. And when checking his supporters and what they say about him, all I hear is how famous and relevant to gaming industry he is. This is a fighting game we're talking about, not a mascot collectathon fest. (Though it's kinda mix of both.) So far I haven't really found much people explaining how Pac would work as a fighter, and I can see why: his games don't really lend much to that, explaining what he is enough to work as a fighter.

Of course it's simpler than it sounds, but if I say that Lloyd can use dual swords and if digging deeper on his traits as a fighter, can be a lightning bruiser with plenty of versatile, combo-based swordsplay compared to Marth (more pronounced than Marth's, at least), then that is already enough for me to see him as a fighter in Smash, despite what all the odds he has against him.
Pac-Man just leaves me confused: he has not set things or even any "feel" to be a fighter at first glance. We have to like dig quite deep into him and his games to even get out what he'd be like (aside from spherical appearance and eating traits, which I have to yet see how they can lend him to any interesting playstyle enough for me to excite me to see hom in Smash 4.)

So far though now I've been getting angry on Pac's supporters for saying that Tales Of (mainly the ones with Nintendo-based history) can't be in Smash because they're inferior to Pac-Man. I can at least still support Lloyd since Tales Of-Director had mentioned the possibility of that. (What comes out of it is just what I'm going to see.Still, don't go build bad karma for yourselves by telling that I'm just setting myself for a disappointment many times. GameFAQs's people are almost in verse of this with all their Tales-bashing. )

Otherwise I'd have just been silent and all when it comes to Namco-character support.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The thing is, it's an opinion man, and people are entitled to them, slap to the face or not. Namco seems to agree with that opinion. There are much better characters suited for such games, for example, you don't see PacMan anywhere in THIS roster now do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_X_Zone

It's the same thing, he lacks interesting Combat abilities. Compare PacMan to pic related who has an arsenal of diverse weapons, just watch this video for crying out loud (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CNimXZ-Lc), PacMan comes nowhere near the amount of options she offers, that's what people mean by boring, and as I said, given the fact she's been in several Namco Crossovers, while PacMan seems absent, they seem to agree that there are better options in regard to playstyle.
To be fair Sonic is no where to be fond in ProjectX's roster either. Sure Pac-man is non-existent in ProjectX, but as I pointed out before, he is present in CapcomXTekken.

Basing Pac-man on his arsenal of moves, when DK only has 2 moves (3 if you count FS) that is derived from his games. I'll admit Pacman, doesn't have that big of a move pool for source; but hello neither did C. Falcon. I mean where did Falcon Kick and Punch come from??? And please do not bring up the anime, because that was released in 2003

If Pac-Man gets in Smash, he has to be teamed up with Luigi in a haunted mansion in the story mode. :awesome:

:phone:
This...All of it.

Had to make...

D

Deleted member

To be fair Sonic is no where to be fond in ProjectX's roster either. But he is in CapcomXTekken.

Basing Pac-man on his arsenal of moves, when DK only has 2 moves (3 if you count FS) that is derived from his games. I'll admit Pacman, doesn't have that big of a move pool for source; but hello neither did C. Falcon.
CapcomXTekken?

You mean the prequel? NamcoXCapcom?

PacMan isn't there either, and Sonic isn't in any of them, I'm confused by what you mean. Anyway, clearly PacMan isn't as important an icon to Namco themselves as you guys claim given how many crossovers he's missed. Sure, he's important to the industry, but like I said, most of us missed the PacMan fever, and largely don't care much for him. Hell PacMan to me, for the longest time was nothing but stories passed down by my dad about the fabled Atari. Also, his inclusion in SFxT was more of a Gag inclusion to rival MegaManchild's, not a serious contender.

So, if PacMan isn't suitable for Smash, and Tales Of fans can't decide on who should claim the spot, does this mean that KOS-MOS will sneak by the competition and steal the roster spot?

Maybe I should be more loud about getting her in...

Speaking of suitable characters, I find it funny that the people that claim a Gen 6 Pokemon might not be an adequate fighter in Smash due to physiology , are the same ones saying anatomy and moves don't matter in regard to PacMan, bringing up Falcon as an example (who got in because he's a Kamen Rider inspiration fyi, I'd like to see PacMan do a rider kick, maybe he can be based off of the the Power Ranger and summon Megazords).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Similar to hoe Snake and Sonic were the face of Konami and SEGA respectively. Asking for a Tales character over Pac-man to me is the equivalent of wanting AiAi over Sonic.
Yes, yes I know Sonic is A) already in smash and b) was highly requested, the point was putting a another title over the companies mascot/face.

I'd say Pac-man has a good shot. Now I'm not saying Tales characters have no chance at all, i'm just saying Pacman seems more likely.
Of course he's more likely. Of course. (And yet again we're just speculating... )

To be honest, I might not even be supporting Lloyd at all if it wasn't for the fact that Yoshi-to Higuchi is working on Smash 4 too. Guess what? A POSSIBILITY has risen for Tales Of-characters. And that's all I can take for wanting to support Lloyd. I'm still gonna be indifferent to Pac though. Of course you can say that he should be in due being a mascot, but like Manly said, this hasn't helped Pac to be in other crossovers. (-L_L-); And that's just yet another thing to add for me when thinking how I'm not seeing him as continuously successful when compared to characters like Megaman or Sonic.

Also LOL at Lloyd Irving /=/ AiAi. I mean, of course Lloyd's no mascot. But it doesn't mean he shouldn't be in because MASCOT IN THE WAY SCREW YOU ALL OTHERS OMG. I haven't even said that I wouldn't wish to see Pac-Man in Smash and want Lloyd over him to be in the roster, I just said that I prefer him over Pac-Man. Pac's not just striking me as interesting. He lacks many merits as a fighter. And like Manly had show

I mean, I could even say Pacman = AiAi in means of what kind of characters they are. Gameplay-driven at best and especially something that doesn't really seem to lend them being in some fighting game.

And AiAi in Smash would not work well... (-=<>=-); All he does in his games is WUBWUBWUBWUB-GOAL/FALLOUT. And I'm a HUGE fan of Super Monkey Ball. It'd take huge stretch work him out as a character. Monkey Fighter-minigame merits, but his character's wierd to see working in Smash. Ah well, at least he's in Sega All Stars-games.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
CapcomXTekken?

You mean the prequel? NamcoXCapcom?

PacMan isn't there either, and Sonic isn't in any of them, I'm confused by what you mean. Anyway, clearly PacMan isn't as important an icon to Namco themselves as you guys claim given how many crossovers he's missed. Sure, he's important to the industry, but like I said, most of us missed the PacMan fever, and largely don't care much for him. Hell PacMan to me, for the longest time was nothing but stories passed down by my dad about the fabled Atari. Also, his inclusion in SFxT was more of a Gag inclusion to rival MegaManchild's, not a serious contender.

So, if PacMan isn't suitable for Smash, and Tales Of fans can't decide on who should claim the spot, does this mean that KOS-MOS will sneak by the competition and steal the roster spot?

Maybe I should be more loud about getting her in...

Speaking of suitable characters, I find it funny that the people that claim a Gen 6 Pokemon might not be an adequate fighter in Smash due to physiology , are the same ones saying anatomy and moves don't matter in regard to PacMan, bringing up Falcon as an example (who got in because he's a Kamen Rider inspiration fyi, I'd like to see PacMan do a rider kick, maybe he can be based off of the the Power Ranger and summon Megazords).
You know what I meant, I meant Street Fighter X Tekken. He's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwecG0-e0Y
Gag or not he was included, coincidentally that game is a crossover game.

And as I pointed out in my post in the last page Pacman is Namco's face of the company.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRmSjB_Y0o&annotation_id=annotation_630783&feature=iv

And by basing Pac-man's chances on missed crossovers and latest game appearances doesn't really give Megaman that much hope. Now does it? I'm still mad about MvC3 and Legends 3...

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Namco Pacman move set

B chomp: Pacman bites an enemy

B side x-car: Pacman pulls out a car from rally-x like wario pulls out his bike, unlike the bike, the car has a limited amount of gas, when the car runs out of gas or hits something the car explodes, Pacman can hop out of the car, and the car will go in a straight line until it hits something or falls of the stage

B up Galaxian Ho!: Pacman whistles and a galaxian flies toward him and picks him up, the player controls the galaxian and can press b to have Pacman shoot a pellet directly below him

B down asteroid from the void: Pacman shoots an asteroid from bosconian out of his mouth

FS: Pacman eats a powerpellet and grows big, players are teleported to the Pacman maze were they tried to avoid being eaten by Pacman, being eaten is a 1hko

Anyway, lets stop comparing Mvc to SSB, characters can get cut because marvel doesn't give capcom the right to use some of the characters

D

Deleted member

You know what I meant, I meant Street Fighter X Tekken. He's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwecG0-e0Y
Gag or not he was included, coincidentally that game is a crossover game.

And as I pointed out in my post in the last page Pacman is Namco's face of the company.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRmSjB_Y0o&annotation_id=annotation_630783&feature=iv

And by basing Pac-man's chances on missed crossovers and latest game appearances doesn't really give Megaman that much hope. Now does it? I'm still mad about MvC3 and Legends 3...
I really find MegaManchild to be an absolutely hilarious character. Too bad he came out at the wrong time and was thus met with such poor reception.

And you're absolutely right about Megaman on that last point, difference with Megaman and Pacman though is that Capcom fans can at least agree on one, rather having the fanbase split among 3-4 characters. Also, Megaman is at least interesting.

Namco Pacman move set

B side x-car: Pacman pulls out a car from rally-x like wario pulls out his bike, unlike the bike, the car has a limited amount of gas, when the car runs out of gas or hits something the car explodes, Pacman can hop out of the car, and the car will go in a straight line until it hits something or falls of the stage

B up Galaxian Ho!: Pacman whistles and a galaxian flies toward him and picks him up, the player controls the galaxian and can press b to have Pacman shoot a pellet directly below him

B down asteroid from the void: Pacman shoots an asteroid from bosconian out of his mouth

FS: Pacman eats a powerpellet and grows big, players are teleported to the Pacman maze were they tried to avoid being eaten by Pacman, being eaten is a 1hko

What do you got for Neutrals, Aerials and general playstyle? I might bite...

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
What do you got for Neutrals, Aerials and general playstyle? I might bite...
For play style I was think a character that was all over the place, coming at you with his car, shooting at you from above, or maybe setting people up to be hit by the car

Sorry, I'm not gonna put up the neuts and airs I'm on an iPad

The main reason I find this interesting is because it represents all of those classic namco games

Oh Pacman has dig-dug's air pump thing as a grab like the hookshot

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Also LOL at Lloyd Irving /=/ AiAi. I mean, of course Lloyd's no mascot. But it doesn't mean he shouldn't be in because MASCOT IN THE WAY SCREW YOU ALL OTHERS OMG. I haven't even said that I wouldn't wish to see Pac-Man in Smash and want Lloyd over him to be in the roster, I just said that I prefer him over Pac-Man. Pac's not just striking me as interesting. He lacks many merits as a fighter. And like Manly had show

I mean, I could even say Pacman = AiAi in means of what kind of characters they are. Gameplay-driven at best and especially something that doesn't really seem to lend them being in some fighting game.

And AiAi in Smash would not work well... (-=<>=-); All he does in his games is WUBWUBWUBWUB-GOAL/FALLOUT. And I'm a HUGE fan of Super Monkey Ball. It'd take huge stretch work him out as a character. Monkey Fighter-minigame merits, but his character's wierd to see working in Smash. Ah well, at least he's in Sega All Stars-games.
Lol! Relax bruh, I wasn't even coming at you when I said that. I was just talking in general.

I know it is your opinion and all, but the whole "no interesting/possible moves" argument doesn't seem all too strong. When Sonic literally only uses 3 moves (Homing attack, Spin Dash and Spring Jump). Sonic literally has the same move twice, how is that for uncreative. They could of gave Sonic the Blue Tornado or Boost Dash.

Tbh, I think it is all based on your imagination and exposure to the franchise. Mainly your imagination though. If you can't see a possible good move-set for the character, chances are people will brush them aside. These are the challenges the devs must face while creating these character's move sets. They can either can look at the source material for moves or again pull an entire move-set out of their a55 as they did with C. Falcon for the most part DK. I mean Luigi using Skull Bash!? Where did that come from???

D

Deleted member

For play style I was think a character that was all over the place, coming at you with his car, shooting at you from above, or maybe setting people up to be hit by the car

Sorry, I'm not gonna put up the neuts and airs I'm on an iPad

The main reason I find this interesting is because it represents all of those classic namco games

Oh Pacman has dig-dug's air pump thing as a grab like the hookshot

Well, if you do get around to it I'd like to see it. I dunno man, you're kinda ripping off from a lot of existing Smash characters, it's hard to get excited for that. At least you can be an uncreative-hack like me and rip off from other fighters, if you come up with something cool I might bite...

I know it is your opinion and all, but the whole "no interesting/possible moves" argument doesn't seem all too strong. When Sonic literally only uses 3 moves (Homing attack, Spin Dash and Spring Jump). Sonic literally has the same move twice, how is that for uncreative. They could of gave Sonic the Blue Tornado or Boost Dash.
C'mon man... Sonic is a terrible example. He's THE definition of half-***** movesets and wasted potential. The reason I don't want PacMan is BECAUSE I don't want another Sonic incident.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Namco Pacman move set

Anyway, lets stop comparing Mvc to SSB, characters can get cut because marvel doesn't give capcom the right to use some of the characters
Sounds sick! but i think Sakurai's main challenge with his is to differ him compared to Kirby/Jiggly/DeDeDe/Sonic.

Ofc his popularity will welcome him known but the moves he has are very important to.

You could say that chars in Smash are kinda badly portrayed in moves and statistics compared to there series.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, I just thought of something.

You know who would be cool to add to smash?

Pac Man.

Aren't like some company that owns Pac Man working with Nintendo or something?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well, if you do get around to it I'd like to see it. I dunno man, you're kinda ripping off from a lot of existing Smash characters, it's hard to get excited for that. At least you can be an uncreative-hack like me and rip off from other fighters, if you come up with something cool I might bite...

C'mon man... Sonic is a terrible example. He's THE definition of half-***** movesets and wasted potential. The reason I don't want PacMan is BECAUSE I don't want another Sonic incident.
A terrible example, is still an example.
What about DK? He has only 2 moves from his games, 3 if you count FS???

I do agree, Sonic is half-a$$'d, but having a "boring" move-set never stopped Sonic from getting in. And i know that is pretty bad to say; I just hope they actually put more effort into Sonic, Phuck it everyone, especially when there are new moves.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pac-Man and Luigi team-up against
Giratina
the boss of the haunted mansion level in the story mode. :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One advantage Pac-man does have in his favor is diversity in a sense of essentially being a blank slate, kinda in a vein to Mario. The blank slate means that Pac-man can pretty much do anything that the developers desire without trending on absurdity. This is further emphasised with the western cartoon toning the series often has.

Like I mentioned many post ago, this randomness of the character could be reflected in gameplay where he uses mind games in order to sucker punch his opponents. Some of his moves could also involve pulling stuff out of hammer space, like a mallet for a forward smash, a hang glider as a up special and glide, and maybe even an Ultra Hand as a grab.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I thought Pacman was pretty boring until I replayed my namco classic arcade games for tv, that's were i thought of my move set

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
One advantage Pac-man does have in his favor is diversity in a sense of essentially being a blank slate, kinda in a vein to Mario. The blank slate means that Pac-man can pretty much do anything that the developers desire without trending on absurdity. This is further emphasised with the western cartoon toning the series often has.

Like I mentioned many post ago, this randomness of the character could be reflected in gameplay where he uses mind games in order to sucker punch his opponents. Some of his moves could also involve pulling stuff out of hammer space, like a mallet for a forward smash, a hang glider as a up special and glide, and maybe even an Ultra Hand as a grab.
Kinda reminds me of Mr. Game & Watch as well, since he also has pretty absurd moves like hitting with chairs, scuba helms, manholes, hammers or even bells. The best part of G&W is that he's the only character in the entire SSB series whose every single move of his draws inspiration from a G&W game.

Pac-Man could work with a moveset like that. Then again, I only played his original game and never touched any of his other games, so I can't say much about him.

A Ms. Pac-Man costume would be really great.

EDIT: An even crazier idea for Pac-Man would be him having certain moves referencing other Namco games like an attack where he would pull a sword and attack, but, like Peach's Side Smash, he would pick swords from the Tales and Soul series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think Pac-Man should be pulling out random stuff like Mr. Game & Watch if it didn't happen in Pac-Man games. Also, it's not who he is and what he's known for. He's Pac-Man, an anthropomorphic langolier.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
He could have an attack where he would summon one of the ghosts, like King Dedede's Waddle Dee Throw.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He could have an attack where he would summon one of the ghosts, like King Dedede's Waddle Dee Throw.
But that's not part of Pac-Man's character. He is not the leader of the ghosts whereas King Dedede is the leader of the Waddle Dees and Peach is the leader of the Toads.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could take pac man's moves from other media then the games. He's been in quite a few things, especially in his prime

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

For all we know Pacman can funtion as the mediator/trojan horse for all of Namco's franchises, using items and moves from dig-dug, galaxia, klonoa, tekken etc...

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
For all we know Pacman can funtion as the mediator/trojan horse for all of Namco's franchises, using items and moves from dig-dug, galaxia, klonoa, tekken etc...
Exactly, but not all of namco, just the arcade games, look at my move set one page back

@manly I have a micaiah move set on the support thread I think you would like

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I like that moveset. After reading through these past posts I came up with this possible move set:

B - Chomp - That is similar to Wario's Chomp, The only difference is that Pacman can eat non-explosive projectiles and regain life when eaten. He could even make the same sounds from the arcade when he eats fruits when he manages to to eat the projectile.

Side B - Rev Roll - Functions like Jigglypuff's Roll Out and Ike's Quick Draw.

Down B - Ghost throw - Similar to DDD's WaddleDee throw, Pac-man will throw either Pinky, Blinky, Clyde and Inky randomly. Each will have different properties in knock-back.

Up B - Pac-trail - Players can quickly draw out a trail of pellets and Pacman will follow the trail.
[COLLAPSE="pic"]
[/COLLAPSE]
The trail would have a limit of about 6 pellets long. After that he will fall helplessly. He will do damage to opponents that get caught as he eats the pellets and the final pellet will have a pretty decent knock back.

All moves except ghostt throw can be seen in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR6RU8Jy9oI

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
My thoughts on the whole Pacman move set/inclusion would be that if he is indeed going to be in the game he most Likely decided upon early. therefore the team would have plenty of time to work on a fitting move set for him. but really, who knows?! Just the team making the game.....for now

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
They are doing a starter Pokemon pole at ign, gen 1 leads the gens and the top 5 starters are charmander, Squirtle, bulbasaur, pikachu (because of pkmn yellow) then cyndaquil, if you discount pika then you add todadile

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that Pac-Man's neutral special should work like this... Hold down the B button, and Pac-Man starts running in the direction he's facing while chomping at thin air until someone gets in the way. It's a homage to the arcade games.

Here's my revised Pac-Man moveset.

B - Chomp (like I described earlier)
Side B - Rev Roll (like in Pac-Man World games, could work like Jigglypuff's Rollout)
Up B - Pac-Dot Chain (like in Pac-Man World games, draw a trail of dots and have Pac-Man eat them)
Down B - Bounce (like in Pac-Man World games, he shouldn't throw ghosts)
Final Smash - Power Pellet (Pac-Man turns into a giant 2D Pac-Man like in the arcades and OHKO enemies by eating them)

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I have been think about that Nintendo buying Rare rumor that manly posted and the kid Icarus ar cards, then it got me think that viva piñata would do really well in this format. If Nintendo were to buy rare would they get viva piñata

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
It's rare's best game since the 64 days (and it's super hard), honestly I feel a vp character would be great in smash, unlike ac, since. It actually has fighting, bet it is the main reason Microsoft will not sell rare

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well its not like Microsoft is doing anything with that IP. Viva Pinata hasnt had a game since 08. though yeah it is the best thing Rares done in years.

Microsoft has no idea how to build on successful games. except Halo :) i do like Halo

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
well its not like Microsoft is doing anything with that IP. Viva Pinata hasnt had a game since 08. though yeah it is the best thing Rares done in years.

Microsoft has no idea how to build on successful games. except Halo :) i do like Halo
What would be a good vp rep, I'm thinking prof. pester or one of the big four piñatas

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
oh god i havent played VP in years. i remember liking Seedos. oh wait what about the Dragonache
Speedos isn't exactly the biggest npc, although I like him, and I completely forgot about the Dragonache, he is probably one of the bigger ones, the biggest would be the horstacio, the preztail, the fudgehog, and the frizzlybear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom