• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I do. Like everyone else I played Melee for years but I never felt that I was getting any better. Watching all the competitive stuff online and trying to attempt some of it myself (like Wavedashing) was the final kick in the bucket for me. Melee being too hard is one of the reasons I never post in the Melee forums, that and the downright mean attitude they often have towards Brawl and Sakurai.
But you were still able to play the game, even if it was at a very low level. Not having a smooth transition between low and high level is a different problem altogether, and one that could be solved without forcing high level players to play on the same level as beginners.

And, from my experience, there are just as many Brawl fans who are rude and offensive to people who like/prefer Melee.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think that feeling comes with the territory if your not facing people competitively. After I beat level 9's on the game easily I started to feel there was nothing left for me to learn in both games. When I saw YouTube videos I learned differently. Yeah it was harder to learn Melee advanced techniques but it gave me more of a sense of accomplishment than learning brawl ones. Nothing feels better that a well executed combo.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
But you were still able to play the game, even if it was at a very low level. Not having a smooth transition between low and high level is a different problem altogether, and one that could be solved without forcing high level players to play on the same level as beginners.

And, from my experience, there are just as many Brawl fans who are rude and offensive to people who like/prefer Melee.
I'm not trying to argue anything in particular, I just have had a better experience playing competitively with Brawl than Melee. I don't feel that high level players have been forced to do anything as I still think there is a gap between low and high level play. As for fanboys, they're just plain bad in general so lets leave it at that.

Either way I can see emotions are going way to far into this, it's Christmas Eve we don't need any "Bah Humbugs" today. Let's just stop these pointless arguments, Smash 4 (if we're relating any of this stuff back to it) is going to be different than any of the previous games anyway. :bee:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Honestly now, did anyone actually complain about Melee being too difficult? Anyone at all? It seems like Sakurai is the only one that thinks so.
There were some. You'll be surprised at some of the mistakes people could make. One reason why you have lock on edges is because it was very easy to die for facing the wrong way.

On this topic: what people forget is what is the heart of Smash. What is the soul. Smash, at heart, is not a competitive fighting game. When Sakurai made Brawl, he was fixing his mistakes with Melee. He was returning the game back too it's roots. Melee was the worst selling game of the three in Japan and it relied on US sales. I figure Sakurai saw problems in Japan.

Again, Smash fans don't want another Melee. Many people may not have been around for it, but normal Smash fans HATED Smashboards and competitive Smash. They still do, but they do say much since Sakurai made Brawl for them. In the Pre-Brawl days, there was much laughing and pointing fingers at them. There were also the tier wars. Many normal Smash Brothers players didn't like hearing that their character sucked because they didn't do well in a tournament none of them attended. This is why "teirs are for queers," came up a lot. Go look at old flash videos (Brawl taunts might have it)and you'll hear it come up. There is a huge disdain from Smash fans which is another reason Sakurai is not trying to make Smash that way. It's also why it's mutually exclusive.

I didn't mean to write this much.......

nessokman

Smash Lord
I hate meleee BRAWL FTW!

Sakurai never had a competitive fighter in mind when he made smash.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Melee was the worst selling game of the three in Japan and it relied on US sales.
That's because the Gamecube sold like rubbish in Japan, it had nothing to do with quality of the games.

The Gamecube in general sold like rubbish no thanks to the Playstation 2, but it notably sold better in America then other regions. So it makes sense why a lot of the Gamecube's games sold better in America then other regions. Super Mario Sunshine, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Star Fox: Assault, F-Zero GX, Kirby's Air Ride, Super Smash Bros. Melee to name a few all sold better in America then any other region.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That's because the Gamecube sold like rubbish in Japan, it had nothing to do with quality of the games.

The Gamecube in general sold like rubbish no thanks to the Playstation 2, but it notably sold better in America then other regions. So it makes sense why a lot of the Gamecube's games sold better in America then other regions.
The N64 did better overall, but Melee beat 64 in the US and Europe. I don't think the system sales are the reason here.

What I'm saying is that Melee's sales were repressed as a result of it being less accessible. This is why Brawl blew it away.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Yeah, I've encountered quite a bit of Brawl Nazis myself for preferring Melee, and I'm not even one of the people who did stuff like wavedashing on a regular basis.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I have a question regarding the rooster.This'll make me feel retarted i feel........

People here hate the Idea of a new mother rep. On the 20 or 21, Shigesato Itoi came out and said he was working on a project regarding mother. Something along the lines of a rerelease. COuld this effect another char getting into the rooster if it is a rerelease of the original in america?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Keep in mind that the Wii and Gamecube are leagues apart when it comes to sales.

Melee sold about 7 million copies, which is a fairly impressive number in it's own right. This is even more impressive when you consider that about 20 million Gamecubes were sold over it's life time (nearly 13 million of which came from American sales). Super Smash Bros. Melee was the #1 sold title for the system, and it stayed that way for a long time.

While 10 million may sound impressive on paper, there are almost 100 million Wii's sold out there and Brawl failed to be a top seller for the console. It sold very well, but it failed to become the #1 title like it's predecessor. This is mainly contributed to the more casual focus of the system compared to the more hardcore Gamecube.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have a question regarding the rooster.This'll make me feel retarted i feel........

People here hate the Idea of a new mother rep. On the 20 or 21, Shigesato Itoi came out and said he was working on a project regarding mother. Something along the lines of a rerelease. COuld this effect another char getting into the rooster if it is a rerelease of the original in america?
I personally don't mind another Mother rep since I love the series. But I guess I can see why many don't want another. You certainly won't see me complaining if Sakurai included another Earthbound character. But I won't really care eitherway if he doesn't include one. That's just my opinion on the matter really. ^^'

nessokman

Smash Lord
This is mainly contributed to the more casual focus of the system compared to the more hardcore Gamecube.
This is incorrect. THere are more casuals than hardcores, and more money in casuals.(hence nintendo being more of a casual company)
Brawl had alot more competition from great games on it's system than Melee. PLus sales wise there are games that just did better. However if you look up "Top 10 wii games" You'll always get a smash bros brawl on the list

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As far as Melee being "too hard" compared to Brawl, it's kinda debatable for me. I found getting all the trophies to be more feasible in Melee for instance, despite how much of a pain Diskun was to get.

Brawl had alot more competition from great games on it's system than Melee.
That I would have to disagree on, far as competition from good quality games at least.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay I wish this won't turn into another Melee VS Brawl-debate. There's two sides between the coin on this.

So anyway, which it should be? Content over gameplay? Or Gameplay over content? KIU had balanced this with GREAT CONTENT and GREAT GAMEPLAY, which might show that it's not much of a stretch to ask for great gameplay mixed with lots of good content. And would Sakurai strive to make another Brawl technically because that's his definition of what Smash Bros should be like?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Within the top 5 Wii game sales on the Wii, 4 were Mii games(Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort respectively) . All of which qualify as super casual games with very little depth in gameplay.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I certainly hope so. A Mother rerelease would be awesome, and anything would do really. Personally hope for someone like Porky, who was in both EarthBound and Mother 3. But Ninten might work to.

Btw, Merry Christmas.
Jesus was born in the summer.

Also about Brawl vs Melee:
Yes, Melee was better on the competitive side, sure. It had far more options to go offensively, had a far more skill rewarding system, Mewtwo, speed, better stages, Mewtwo...

But I still like Brawl better for it's cast of characters and more playstyles. Besides, Diddy is still a very technical character ;) so Brawl still satisfied me on that regard (not that I played Melee in tournaments). Also, I actually get people to play this game against me. NOBODY ever wanted to play Smash 64 or Melee against me cause I was "too good". :smirk:
I actually suck badly and always forget ATs lolz. I'm even famous for forgetting about Diddy's bananas.

:phone:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
@nessokman
I'm not sure what you trying to point out here. Sales DO matter. And of the the 2 platforms Wii's were largely driven from more casual games. It defeats your point to use a non-sale driven argument because all you're showing is that the greatest games on the Wii didn't sell as well as the casual ones which is not the case on the Gamecube.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Okay I wish this won't turn into another Melee VS Brawl-debate. There's two sides between the coin on this.

So anyway, which it should be? Content over gameplay? Or Gameplay over content? KIU had balanced this with GREAT CONTENT and GREAT GAMEPLAY, which might show that it's not much of a stretch to ask for great gameplay mixed with lots of good content. And would Sakurai strive to make another Brawl technically because that's his definition of what Smash Bros should be like?
No offense but your last post that I much agreed on kinda started it. :p

Definitely think it should be content, but it really depends on what both sides have to offer in said game. And the last question, I'm sure he will strive to make SSB4 be most like Brawl. Long as that doesn't make it essentially just a Brawl 2.0 then I should be happy enough with it.

-.- not saleswise. http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/08/16/the-top-25-wii-games?page=5 <--- example, brawl was rated number two on the top 25 wii games by IGN. behind mario galaxy 2
Me and like everyone I know found Galaxy 2 to be "meh" compared to the first one (though still a good game!). Things like that is why IGN's one of the last sites I would trust when it comes to ratings or reviews. It's all opinion anyway, whether rated or written by a so-called "professional" or not.

This is SmashChu. To him, raw sales data is everything.
Ugh, what a tool.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think that's what starts so much conflict between the smash community. Everybody wants there favorite of the games to have their sequel. I think Smash4 will probably take more of a brawlish feeling to it regardess though.

Anybody think it's possible he might actually make a sequel to Melee or Brawl(Melee 2, Brawl 2) kinda like how Call of Duty had 2 separate versions(Modern Warfare and Black Ops). Could happen but I doubt it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Man, I wish! Would be a really great way of pleasing both sides, doubtful as I am of it happening too. And Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 might be a better example here than Call of Duty. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How about a Smash that takes the best of both worlds? If that's even possible... Expand and improve on the stuff both games did right (or at least done well or were good ideas on paper) as well as add it's own flavor I suppose. But that's just me. I never really had that much problems with either games to be honest. sure there were a few niggles I didn't like in both games such as tripping or many clones. I still see myself playing both Brawl and Melee sometimes. :/

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
How about a Smash that takes the best of both worlds? If that's even possible... Expand and improve on the stuff both games did right (or at least done well or were good ideas on paper) as well as add it's own flavor I suppose. But that's just me. I never really had that much problems with either games to be honest. sure there were a few niggles I didn't like in both games such as tripping or many clones. I still see myself playing both Brawl and Melee sometimes. :/
Well, I would like that. I want them go out all since it will be 15th year anniversary for Smash series by time they are going to release game in 2014.

I like clones since they provided different style for me, since I always love Dr. Mario over Mario and Falco over Fox in Melee. Clones is not always that bad. I meant Look at Street Fighter 4, we have Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Sakura and Dan. Many people weren't complaining about it because they could provided variable even they have simliar movesets. I'm sure that it would applied to Wolf, Falco and Fox.

Only one thing I don't want to see again is tripping mechanic. Just keep it out of future generations please.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing for sure is that we're not going to experience the clone epidemic like Melee did, and for that there should be much rejoicing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, I would like that. I want them go out all since it will be 15th year anniversary for Smash series by time they are going to release game in 2014.

I like clones since they provided different style for me, since I always love Dr. Mario over Mario and Falco over Fox in Melee. Clones is not always that bad. I meant Look at Street Fighter 4, we have Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Sakura and Dan. Many people weren't complaining about it because they could provided variable even they have simliar movesets. I'm sure that it would applied to Wolf, Falco and Fox.

Only one thing I don't want to see again is tripping mechanic. Just keep it out of future generations please.
I wouldn't mind Smash 4 being released around the end of 2004 to mark it's 15th anniversary but I would probably rather they take their time more with this one. :)

Well to be honest. I've put the clones and tripping thing up based on the general fans that didn't like these things for both games respectively. Dunno why I said I since they didn't bother me that much. But I would still like the number of clones to stay at a low percentage (or make them Luigified). Plus I find it more fun having more unique characters to play as. And limit the tripping for things such as banana peels and slippery places where it actually makes sense. (or remove it entirely or make it an option at the very least)

I don't dislike clones that much. After all, Toon Link is my main as well as Mewtwo. :troll:

D

Deleted member

There's also the matter that 2014 will be Nintendo's 125th anniversary. A Q4 2014 release seems perfect for this game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There's also the matter that 2014 will be Nintendo's 125th anniversary. A Q4 2014 release seems perfect for this game.
Oh really? That's amazing. I guess Q4 2014 is pretty likely for smash. The only thing I'm worried about is that it may be a little rushed for the sake of meeting that deadline. Is roughly around 2 and a half to 3 years of development time enough for a Smash Wii U and 3DS game? :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes it is. Keep in mind that Namco Bandai is also helping out, which means that the development process will be sped up.
Alrighty then. For some reason I thought that 2 and a half year to 3 years may not have been enough. But okay. I'll take your word for it. ^^

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Characters I support and I think they might get in:
  • Dixie Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Little Mac
  • Mega Man
  • Mewtwo
  • Mii
  • Pac-Man
  • Palutena
  • Takamaru
  • Toad
  • Waddle Dee

Characters I support but I don't think they might get in:
  • Bad Box Art Mega Man :troll:
  • Captain N
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Captain Syrup
  • Commanding Officer Andy with Infantry soldiers (Advance Wars)
  • Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong as a team
  • Duck Hunt Dog :troll:
  • Fusion Suit Samus as a clone of Samus but without Zero Suit Samus transformation :awesome:
  • Impa
  • Isaac or Matthew (Golden Sun)
  • King Hippo
  • Lip
  • Magnus
  • Mallo (Pushmo/Crashmo)
  • Masked Link with Deku/Goron/Zora transformations
  • Medusa
  • Mega Man X
  • Meowth
  • Muddy Mole
  • Pokemon Trainer Gold with Johto starters
  • Pokemon Trainer May with Hoenn starters
  • Saki or Isa (Sin & Punishment)
  • Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
  • Slime (Dragon Quest)
  • Starfy
  • Team Rocket with Meowth/Arbok and Meowth/Weezing teams
  • Tingle
  • Tom Nook
  • Villager (Animal Crossing)

Characters I don't support but I think they might get in:
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Black Shadow as a last-minute clone of Captain Falcon :(
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Donkey Kong Jr. as a last-minute clone of Donkey Kong :awesome:
  • Dr. Mario as a last-minute clone of Mario :rolleyes:
  • Chrom
  • Ghirahim
  • Louie as a last-minute clone of Olimar with new Pikmin types from Pikmin 3 :troll:
  • Ninten as a last-minute clone of Ness and Lucas :troll:
  • Paper Mario
  • Pichu as a last-minute clone of Pikachu :rolleyes:
  • Ridley
  • Roy
  • Plusle & Minun as a team of last-minute Pichu-like clones of Pikachu :rolleyes:
  • Slippy Toad as a last-minute clone of Fox :mad:
  • Shulk
  • Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik as last-minute clones of Zelda / Sheik :rolleyes:
  • Wario Land Wario as a last-minute clone of WarioWare Wario :troll:
  • Young Link as a last-minute clone of Link to un-replace Toon Link :rolleyes:
  • Young Zelda / Young Sheik as last-minute clones of Zelda / Sheik :mad:
  • Zoroark

Characters I don't support and I don't think they might get in:
  • Deoxys
  • Dillon (The Rolling Western)
  • Genesect
  • Geno
  • Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
  • Krystal
  • Lyn
  • Mona (WarioWare)
  • Rosalina
  • Samurai Goroh
  • Sheriff
  • Waluigi

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Tripping could remain in the game if it were used as a strategic part of the game. Like particular moves could be used to trip the opponent and then chain a combo.

For example, Aeron (Pandora's Tower) uses a chain as a weapon. If he were in smash, he could yank at the characters feet, trip them, and then proceed to smack them around.

Just an idea

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tripping could remain in the game if it were used as a strategic part of the game. Like particular moves could be used to trip the opponent and then chain a combo.
We have moves that do that. Like Diddy's Banana. Nobody's against this in general(that I've seen). I like this idea. It's the random tripping that isn't from items/character moves that is the problem.

For example, Aeron (Pandora's Tower) uses a chain as a weapon. If he were in smash, he could yank at the characters feet, trip them, and then proceed to smack them around.

Just an idea
I like the idea. I know nothing about the character, mind you, but the idea is cool.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman

Just an idea
I'm fine with this. It's the random tripping that immediately eliminates all skill in the game. Someone could lose a major tournament finals match because they tripped. As soon as this happens, the game becomes luck based. It's bad news. But if an item or move auses it, I'm fine with that.

The chain idea is awesome. a down tilt sort of thing?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm fine with this. It's the random tripping that immediately eliminates all skill in the game. Someone could lose a major tournament finals match because they tripped. As soon as this happens, the game becomes luck based. It's bad news. But if an item or move auses it, I'm fine with that.

The chain idea is awesome. a down tilt sort of thing?
Or even a down special. Whatever would make it a better move to begin a combo. More moves like that would add a bit more strategic depth to the game.

Another example could be Mario's F.L.U.D.D. Say Mario sprays the ground in front of him, and someone charges him. They hit the water and slip, making them a sitting duck for a smash attack. This same exact mechanic could work with Game & Watch's oil spill. It would be the same as always, but it would just also cause them to trip.

Come to think of it, because i would doubt Aeron's inclusion (as I have never played Pandora's Tower and feel Shulk would murder him in popularity), Sheik might be able to do the same if they modified the chain special.

I see ideas like this as an opportunity to add in actual strategy based on different movesets. But this is mostly just off the top of my head.

They could even leave a gaseous cloud after Wario rips one, and it would do minor cumulative damage the longer you stand in it :awesome:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind Smash 4 being released around the end of 2004 to mark it's 15th anniversary but I would probably rather they take their time more with this one. :)

Well to be honest. I've put the clones and tripping thing up based on the general fans that didn't like these things for both games respectively. Dunno why I said I since they didn't bother me that much. But I would still like the number of clones to stay at a low percentage (or make them Luigified). Plus I find it more fun having more unique characters to play as. And limit the tripping for things such as banana peels and slippery places where it actually makes sense. (or remove it entirely or make it an option at the very least)

I don't dislike clones that much. After all, Toon Link is my main as well as Mewtwo. :troll:

I think it took Sakurai a year to complete Melee from what I remembered, and it ended up pretty good. So I think 2014 is just right for SSB4. Sakurai and Namco Bandai can complete the game in two years, so it should be done in 2014. From what I remembered, Namco-Bandai actually make quality fighting games under two years or so. For example, I think they made Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in a year.

I just hope that they would announce SSB4 at E3 2013 then they would open Dojo during Sept. It would be so perfect for our hype and needs. :p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Tekken Tag 2 probably took longer than a year to make. Even then, they were basically taking the Tekken 6 engine, add tag mechanics, and made balancing changes save for some characters who were revamped (Jun, Dr. B) or were changed greatly (Jaycee). It also helps that they pretty much retain motion capture from previous games (I think) to speed up the process.

Just an idea
I'd love this, but this reminds me how things like tripping, bounds, wall bounces, etc. need to be limited to x amount of this and that per combo to prevent infinites or from anyone being too powerful.

I think move induced tripping, based on how tripping is now, would function like the low parries in Tekken in that they take away your bound for your combo. Still, that reminds me. Should there be hard knockdowns like Street Fighter's sweeps?

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Tekken Tag 2 probably took longer than a year to make. Even then, they were basically taking the Tekken 6 engine, add tag mechanics, and made balancing changes save for some characters who were revamped (Jun, Dr. B) or were changed greatly (Jaycee). It also helps that they pretty much retain motion capture from previous games (I think) to speed up the process.
Well, They said that they are using Brawl's engine to start to work on SSB4, and they can use their models and model frames. It is basically same thing as you said Tekken 6 > Tekken TT2.

I'm talking about Tekken Tag 2 Tournament for Arcade, so it took them an other year to release the games on console.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I believe they are using a new engine that was developed by Namco, and is being used for a prototype mentioned months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom