• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I can very easily see the number of newcomers for Smash 4 being lower than Melee and Brawl. Heck, I can even see it being lower than Smash 64. I am only expecting 6-10 newcomers personally. In a scenario where no characters from Brawl are cut, I can easily see Mewtwo and Roy being brought back. The only characters in Brawl that have a plausible chance at being cut are Lucario, Ike, Snake, Sonic, Toon Link, Lucas, Wolf, Falco, and Sheik. I am personally expecting the total number of playable characters for Smash 4 to range anywhere from 42 to 48. People are easily setting their expectations way too high.
So far, there hasn't been a game with less than 12 new characters. With plenty of characters to chose from, you think they'd do it now?

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I can very easily see the number of newcomers for Smash 4 being lower than Melee and Brawl. Heck, I can even see it being lower than Smash 64. I am only expecting 6-10 newcomers personally. In a scenario where no characters from Brawl are cut, I can easily see Mewtwo and Roy being brought back. The only characters in Brawl that have a plausible chance at being cut are Lucario, Ike, Snake, Sonic, Toon Link, Lucas, Wolf, Falco, and Sheik. I am personally expecting the total number of playable characters for Smash 4 to range anywhere from 42 to 48. People are easily setting their expectations way too high.
Sakurai not only has the team at Sora from KI:Uprising working with him, but he has Namco Bandai Games now as well working hard on the game. I would be surprised if we had only 42 characters in the game, and with multiple cuts to Brawl's roster - you're being too cynical (though it's best expecting less than expecting more). 48 is a much more reasonable expectation, however. As SmashChu said, there's more than enough characters for at least twelve newcomers with minimal or zero cuts to Brawl's roster.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People expecting 50 characters for Brawl were the ones really pushing their expectations to an unreasonable extent. Nowhere has it been directly stated that this game will receive fewer newcomers than any Smash before it; it seems to have taken hold of many users simply because of widespread fear-mongering that this is the case.

45-50 characters is not out of the realm of possibility in the slightest.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
People expecting 50 characters for Brawl were the ones really pushing their expectations to an unreasonable extent. Nowhere has it been directly stated that this game will receive fewer newcomers than any Smash before it; it seems to have taken hold of many users simply because of widespread fear-mongering that this is the case.

45-50 characters is not out of the realm of possibility in the slightest.
True, he never exactly said fewer newcomers, but what he said was fairly vague, so you can't blame people for misunderstanding what he said. Thinking he meant there aren't going to be as many newcomers is much less fear-mongering than what most news sources are interpreting(i.e. no new characters).

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
...Not sure if this is on-topic, but why all the Starfox love in rosters?

Starfox has had one "new" game since Brawl, and that was a 3DS remake of an N64 title. It also currently has three characters, even though it only has six games (Compared to Fire Emblem and Metroid, each with two characters even though Metroid has eleven games and Fire Emblem has twelve). It getting four characters is somewhat ridiculous; Starfox isn't a particularly well-selling or prolific series, and there are plenty of unrepresented franchises (Most notably Custom Robo, Punch-Out, and Animal Crossing) that could use the character slot.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
...Not sure if this is on-topic, but why all the Starfox love in rosters?

Starfox has had one "new" game since Brawl, and that was a 3DS remake of an N64 title. It also currently has three characters, even though it only has six games (Compared to Fire Emblem and Metroid, each with two characters even though Metroid has eleven games and Fire Emblem has twelve). It getting four characters is somewhat ridiculous; Starfox isn't a particularly well-selling or prolific series, and there are plenty of unrepresented franchises (Most notably Custom Robo, Punch-Out, and Animal Crossing) that could use the character slot.
I agree with u. Those who want a 4th StarFox character only do because Fox, Falco, & Wolf have similar abilities & they are hoping that a 4th could be unique. Krystal only has two things going for her; she's female & could have a staff-based moveset. However odds are she will have related moves with the present space animals. Her staff has only been in one game & so far it hasn't returned. If one really wants a 4th StarFox character, then they should consider Slippy. He has been in all the StarFox games & can easily be luigified like Krystal.

There are far better choices for unique characters that have yet been in smash like the ones mentioned above.

:phone:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I want to see Dimentio in the next game. Partly because he's one of my favorite antagonists in the Mario franchise, but because it would be interesting having a 3D rendering of a Paper Mario character (or still paper thin, both are interesting). Also, dimensional/magic based moves might be cool.

But that's just my hopes and dreams. I'd make a thread but I'm too out of it right now.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I thought it was pretty damn strange Starfox got so many reps too. I mean it has like 2 real games. 64 and Assault. (Command and Adventure are good too!)
But I was totally hyped because Star Fox is my favorite series of all time and the only On-Rails shooter done right.
(Except maybe that game with Saki in it is that On-Rail?)
Sakurai must know how much those games mean to us in the west though. And probably thinks were a buncha wierdos if he's played the japanese versions of those games.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You know, when we actually get a trailer and it reveals some new characters, YOU KNOW there are going to be some people out there that are like:

"LOOK. SEE. HE'S ADDING NEW CHARACTERS BECAUSE OF ALL THE BACKLASH HE GOT FROM SAYING HE DIDN'T WANT ANY NEW CHARACTERS."

I don't even know how I'm going to react to that. Normally you'd just post a facepalm.jpg or something, but that just won't cut it I don't think. I wish people would just not be dumb.

Mybeardisawesome

Smash Rookie
Tekken characters?

Since Nintendo is partnering up with Bandai, I was thinking maybe a tekken character can make it to the game. But I was also wondering which character could fit the smash series. I personally don't know which characters could fit in but it was just a cool idea that maybe Jin, or Kazuya could be in the game :awesome:

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Since Nintendo is partnering up with Bandai, I was thinking maybe a tekken character can make it to the game. But I was also wondering which character could fit the smash series. I personally don't know which characters could fit in but it was just a cool idea that maybe Jin, or Kazuya could be in the game :awesome:
It'll probably be Kuma or Heihachi (If it's not Pac-Man). Kuma fits the Smash aesthetic, Heihachi is pretty much Namco's Tekken mascot.

I'd personally go nuts over Yoshimitsu. Imagine an event match between Yoshimitsu and Yoshi. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

^ should replace Sheik as a separate character

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
^
¦
I haven't played Skyward Sword. Is it possible for Impa to return in future games, she didn't die or anything did she?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
^
¦
I haven't played Skyward Sword. Is it possible for Impa to return in future games, she didn't die or anything did she?
Well, it's Impa.

Impa's been in every zelda game since the first

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Impa who? She certainly is a forgettable character isn't she? :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, no she hasn't. She was in the second game(in the backstory) first, as in Zelda II, then OOT, then the Oracle Games, and finally, in Skyward Sword. Only 5 of those.
Well, she's in most of the ones that matter.

Tomatoes, Tomatoes

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yo guys, I'm still quite flabbergasted by people supporting Lloyd Irving for Smash... I know that TOS is quite a popular cult classic on Gamecube and it even got a Wii-exclusive sequel (and Lloyd made a playable appearance on a Wii-exclusive Soul Calibur-installment) But I dunno how would it work out for games based on one world (In this case Sylvarant), from out of many Tales Of-worlds to be included in Smash.

You know, since TOS is one of the installments in Tales Of-series (Kinda like what Fire Emblem's doing with different eras), so why include this part of the whole huge fandom that is Tales Of-franchise? I'd understand if TOS was it's standalone game but... I just hope people won't think Tales Of-series should get some new eligible character from other games (okay, but that's pretty farfetched but you get it.)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Lloyd is the "best" character to represent the Tales series due to being arguably the most well known character in the series. Even people not familar with the series at least know where Lloyd come

But I will say that a Tales character might be out prioritized by Pac-man or a Tekken character. Although the writers could write something with a similar tone to the Tales series.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'd rather have Sheena or Presea than Lloyd as far as ToS goes, but whatever works I guess.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd prefer Presea the most.

Also, Namco is helping create the game. They might be able to add more than one character without being considered third party. Second Party, in a sense.

Besides Pac-Man, there's a lot of other ones: Tekken(How many Nintendo Tekken games were there?), Soul Calibur(decently likely), Digimon(might go well with Digimon VS Pokemon), and Tales of, plus any other I may have forgotten. Xenoblade, I think it was?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Except they all matter, as they're all a part of the storyline.

So not in very much at all.
Nah, the only ones she's not in that matter are ALttP games.

Impaz is close enough in Twilight Princess

The Wind Waker spin offs suck, and she at least appears in some form in Wind Waker

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, the only ones she's not in that matter are ALttP games.
Nope. All canon except possibly Link's Crossbow Training and the CD-i games. All matters otherwise.

Impaz is close enough in Twilight Princess
Different character. Doesn't count.

The Wind Waker spin offs suck, and she at least appears in some form in Wind Waker
Impa's not in Wind Waker at all. Never was. And it doesn't matter if they suck(in your opinion), they still matter and are canon.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Crap, Ike has a descendant! O_O

This might just be setting up for the next Fire Emblem. Wow, sneaky IS.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Crap, Ike has a descendant! O_O

This might just be setting up for the next Fire Emblem. Wow, sneaky IS.
Guess we can't call Krom the Ike clone anymore. lol

But yeah, with this news I'm expecting Ike staying even more so now. Either that or Krom, Paris, Roy with their father lords as alts. :p

yani

Smash Lord
Besides Pac-Man, there's a lot of other ones: Tekken(How many Nintendo Tekken games were there?), Soul Calibur(decently likely), Digimon(might go well with Digimon VS Pokemon), and Tales of, plus any other I may have forgotten. Xenoblade, I think it was?
I believe you mean Xenosaga. Monolith created that when they were with Namco so Namco retained the rights. Monolith created Xenoblade under Nintendo, so that is first party :bee:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well I noticed all the popular third parties requested are all the flagship characters:

Sonic
Megaman
Pac-Man

I say get all the flagship third parties.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Because he's just a gear of war.

Hypothetically, I wonder who a fifth Metroid character could be. Samus/Zero Suit Samus with Ridley and Dark Samus following her in that order are no brainers for the first four. After that there aren't any real choices other than a bunch of lame hunters, some douchebag, and a black man. I guess Mother Brain would win by default?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It would be interesting to see like a character called Bounty Hunter based on the previous bounty hunters.

Or a downsized Kraid.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mother Brain and Kraid would be better than all the hunters combined.

Did you see how clever that was. Because you said... ah well... y'know...

wildvine47

Smash Ace
I agree that Samus/ZSS, Ridley and Dark Samus are first, but is it REALLY that much of a stretch to say that Adam's next in line?

Mother Brain and Kraid has consistently been too large, Anthony and M-B are, as mentioned earlier, "flavors of the month" and the MPH/MP3 hunters are generic, unimportant and uninteresting.

Adam, as I've said before, had big roles in Other M and Fusion, and I know that he's dead at the end of Other M, but he's actually got a pretty decent chance of returning in more games. He's been established as pretty important, and considering the Metroid series's tendency to jump around in its timeline, Adam could easily appear in any game that takes place before Other M, considering that he wouldn't be dead at that time. On the other hand, if a new Metroid game ends up taking place after Fusion, Adam would be her computer again. Realistically, the only way Adam has no chance to show up in a Metroid game would be if the game takes place between Other M and Fusion.

However, I do admit that Higgs also has similar chances to show up again. However, I don't feel that he had nearly the amount of impact that Adam had, nor do I think Nintendo would be as eager to bring him back as they would Adam.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
A fifth Metroid character is ridiculously unlikely; even having four characters is pretty unlikely. Hell, even adding another character (Ridley) is unlikely with how shafted Metroid has consistently been in Smash Bros; it's like Fire Emblem.

Hypothetically, I wonder who a fifth Metroid character could be. Samus/Zero Suit Samus with Ridley and Dark Samus following her in that order are no brainers for the first four. After that there aren't any real choices other than a bunch of lame hunters, some douchebag, and a black man. I guess Mother Brain would win by default?
MOTHER BRAIN! MOTHER BRAIN!

She could just float around like the Aurora Unit at the end of Prime 3 (Assuming she's based on similar technology), with her super form being a Final Smash. She could attack people with Rinkas, turrets, and eye lasers.

Mother Brain and Kraid has consistently been too large,
Maybe they could just put Mother Brain in her brain form instead of her giant chicken tyrannosaurus form? I couldn't see her brain form being any bigger than Bowser.

But yeah, Adam is probably next in line. Unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom