• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling taunt parties one room at a time; A Guide

Benify

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eggn0g
3DS FC
5214-9751-3548
I tried attacking in taunt parties a couple times, and its really fun :) ! I have won tons of times, and have been cheating on a few (DK grab-stage spike). This happened once, but I used Pit through all the games I had with these taunt party players, (all of them were) and I won every single match for about 10 times, they were horrible with their recoveries and one of them rage quit and another person who was also a taunt party player joined. After 3 games (which I won in all of them), in the results screen of the last game, I was disconnected. It felt so good :joyful:

MP8

Smash Journeyman
If I find myself part of a taunt party (where no one is attacking at all), I always try to play tag instead of sitting there doing nothing. I'll jab and run trying to get a game going. If they take it the wrong way and don't understand, then I enjoy a nice game of 3v1 instead.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Taunt Parties are better with decent players. They get angered less easily , or they're smarter.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
*Guaranteed* method to get rid of taunt-teamers

I have been holding back on unveiling cheaper tactics for dealing with taunt-teamers (i.e. taunters with the sole intent of teaming), but since the taunters have already revealed cheap methods, I decided to let the cat out of the bag by revealing one of mine:

Basically, it goes like this. If you suspect the room you are entering has teamers in it, wait to see if a crasher starts attacking. Don't let it become 3 vs. 1. Just act like you're a pacifist, so the taunt-teamers will ignore you. "Accidentally" get in the way, but make certain that the crasher was the last one to hit you. Then "accidentally" self-destruct, giving the crasher a +1. As long as you don't make it too obvious, the taunt-teamers might not notice at first. Repeat once more and they are likely to notice this time. :-) Rinse and repeat as often as you like.

Sooner or later, the taunt-teamers start to question their own "rules." You never attacked them, and they generally don't attack unless they have been attacked. Do they now have to break the "peace treaty" by attacking you? Or do they allow you to keep giving the crasher free kills? Either way, you mess with teamers' heads, and at least one of them will ALWAYS leave after that match or the next one. It has never failed for me.

The best thing about this tactic is that you can pick any character -- even one you are not good with -- and it is easy to do. In fact, I recommend entering rooms as Random, so they don't catch on in advance. The last thing you want is to spoil the surprise (e.g. "Oh no, here comes the albino DK again!") After one of the teamers leaves as they always do, you can do as you please. Switch to one of your better characters if you like. Team up with the crasher to frustrate the original teamer or just let it turn into a free-for-all as the game intended. You might even get a fair 2 vs. 2, just like Team Battle, but with permanent teams with friendly fire on. Any way you look at it, you encourage new crashers to enjoy the game and do away with the childish 3 vs. 1 teaming at the same time.

Let the games begin!

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Actually for that I never have worry about the crasher. If it is a skilled crasher being teamed by the taunters and he sees that I have no intent in helping the teamers and realizes I want no part of it the crasher can get close without worrying about me attacking. Or I get a crasher that realizes that I Won't bother them but do a quick jab on me then KO myself. Oddly it doesn't tick of the taunt teamers. The only time it'll ever be 3 vs 1 with me is the crasher is trying to KO me and constantly try to hit me. I will fight but I also have no feelings for KOing the others should they get in the way. I do that even more when they ruin Peach's only time for free damage when the enemy is at 0% and she can do her limited chain grab.

awsomesauce

Smash Apprentice
I have been holding back on unveiling cheaper tactics for dealing with taunt-teamers (i.e. taunters with the sole intent of teaming), but since the taunters have already revealed cheap methods, I decided to let the cat out of the bag by revealing one of mine:

Basically, it goes like this. If you suspect the room you are entering has teamers in it, wait to see if a crasher starts attacking. Don't let it become 3 vs. 1. Just act like you're a pacifist, so the taunt-teamers will ignore you. "Accidentally" get in the way, but make certain that the crasher was the last one to hit you. Then "accidentally" self-destruct, giving the crasher a +1. As long as you don't make it too obvious, the taunt-teamers might not notice at first. Repeat once more and they are likely to notice this time. :-) Rinse and repeat as often as you like.
I usually do wait right when the match begins inside a new room, if it's a taunt party it is all too easy to tell if there are two or more of them. If there are 2TPers, I watch the third person (if there is a third person) and see how the player reacts. If I don't act soon I probably will lose the drive to attack them. If player 3 or whoever isn't obviously a taunter doesn't try to crash as soon as possible I would have to step up to the plate and give it a swing.

The best thing about this tactic is that you can pick any character -- even one you are not good with -- and it is easy to do. In fact, I recommend entering rooms as Random, so they don't catch on in advance. The last thing you want is to spoil the surprise (e.g. "Oh no, here comes the albino DK again!")
If I were to use this tactic I probably wouldn't care about using random. I'd stick to R.O.B and my secondaries. They're taunters they probably won't notice. Also what if you get put in a good group. If you have random on and you spawn into a decent room without any TPers you probably will not leave a good impression. Unless of course you mean after the first match with the room. Then yeah I can see this being effective

After one of the teamers leaves as they always do, you can do as you please. Switch to one of your better characters if you like. Team up with the crasher to frustrate the original teamer or just let it turn into a free-for-all as the game intended. You might even get a fair 2 vs. 2, just like Team Battle, but with permanent teams with friendly fire on. Any way you look at it, you encourage new crashers to enjoy the game and do away with the childish 3 vs. 1 teaming at the same time.

Let the games begin!
You know what I just might use this sometime if the constant TP crashing gets a little stale. This was actually pretty insightfull. Good post.

FIREL

Smash Ace
You can probably perform a little fail with recovery or something.

I stand neutral in TPs, those who attack me will be attacked, others (if any) will be ignored.

Sephy95

Smash Lord

Sooner or later, the taunt-teamers start to question their own "rules." You never attacked them, and they generally don't attack unless they have been attacked. Do they now have to break the "peace treaty" by attacking you? Or do they allow you to keep giving the crasher free kills? Either way, you mess with teamers' heads, and at least one of them will ALWAYS leave after that match or the next one. It has never failed for me.

The best thing about this tactic is that you can pick any character -- even one you are not good with -- and it is easy to do. In fact, I recommend entering rooms as Random, so they don't catch on in advance. The last thing you want is to spoil the surprise (e.g. "Oh no, here comes the albino DK again!") After one of the teamers leaves as they always do, you can do as you please. Switch to one of your better characters if you like. Team up with the crasher to frustrate the original teamer or just let it turn into a free-for-all as the game intended. You might even get a fair 2 vs. 2, just like Team Battle, but with permanent teams with friendly fire on. Any way you look at it, you encourage new crashers to enjoy the game and do away with the childish 3 vs. 1 teaming at the same time.

Let the games begin!
My pride, dignity, and honor won't allow me to do something like this. I'd rather fight them and get beaten to a pulp, which wont happen.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I mainly revealed it for others to use

My pride, dignity, and honor won't allow me to do something like this. I'd rather fight them and get beaten to a pulp, which wont happen.
To clarify, I do not resort to my cheaper methods often; I just provide them as a service for others who get tired of teamers. It's a fine line to cross, and I try not to become that which I despise. Always beware that by teaming with the crasher, you risk "turning to the Dark Side" if yet another wants to join your cause while you are ruthlessly beating on the remaining taunt-teamer that decided to stay. That's usually a good time to go passive, goof around, or better yet just leave so you don't perpetuate the ridiculousness of 3v1.

This in fact was one of the major reasons I abandoned Basic Brawl a while back and went almost completely to Team Battle. That way, 3v1s could never surface, whether intentionally by others or accidentally by my own actions. Now I try to find a healthy balance. Own the item-happy BB teamers during the day when they are more frequent, and attempt to fight the better itemless players on TB at night when they are more frequent and when I am fortunate enough to be on late.

Obviously owning a group of 2 or 3 teamers is the best way to go and I save those matches to enjoy re-living the moments. As an example earlier this week, I had a literal 1 vs. 1 with someone who was hesitant to fight at first, so I could tell he was likely going to want to team when others would join. After winning those 1v1 and 1v1vCPUvCPU matches fair-and-square, sure enough, my suspicions were correct, and he was doing the usual rapid ducking when a 3rd person arrived. Now the games really begin and I hold back no punches whenever I see this nonsense....

Of course the new dynamic duo kept picking Temple so there was no avoiding it at this point. After owning that pair handily, a 4th person arrives and sort of joins them but acts a little more independent. I intentionally matched the exact character and color of one of them before the match to add to the confusion. The best part was jab locking all 3 of them (sorry, I could not resist that opportunity!) :-) and finishing the match easily with a +3 while each had a -1. I then disconnected them for good measure rather than leave them together. I just can't let an unsuspecting newcomer fall into their trap; it's my policy.

So yes, owning a group of teamers is top priority, but you develop instincts after playing a while to know when they're going to try to gang up on you. Sometimes I back off and play nice or just goof around, but then other times I'm in the mood to play cheap when they do. All is fair in war and Brawl.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
To clarify, I do not resort to my cheaper methods often; I just provide them as a service for others who get tired of teamers. It's a fine line to cross, and I try not to become that which I despise. Always beware that by teaming with the crasher, you risk "turning to the Dark Side" if yet another wants to join your cause while you are ruthlessly beating on the remaining taunt-teamer that decided to stay. That's usually a good time to go passive, goof around, or better yet just leave so you don't perpetuate the ridiculousness of 3v1.

This in fact was one of the major reasons I abandoned Basic Brawl a while back and went almost completely to Team Battle. That way, 3v1s could never surface, whether intentionally by others or accidentally by my own actions. Now I try to find a healthy balance. Own the item-happy BB teamers during the day when they are more frequent, and attempt to fight the better itemless players on TB at night when they are more frequent and when I am fortunate enough to be on late.

Obviously owning a group of 2 or 3 teamers is the best way to go and I save those matches to enjoy re-living the moments. As an example earlier this week, I had a literal 1 vs. 1 with someone who was hesitant to fight at first, so I could tell he was likely going to want to team when others would join. After winning those 1v1 and 1v1vCPUvCPU matches fair-and-square, sure enough, my suspicions were correct, and he was doing the usual rapid ducking when a 3rd person arrived. Now the games really begin and I hold back no punches whenever I see this nonsense....

Of course the new dynamic duo kept picking Temple so there was no avoiding it at this point. After owning that pair handily, a 4th person arrives and sort of joins them but acts a little more independent. I intentionally matched the exact character and color of one of them before the match to add to the confusion. The best part was jab locking all 3 of them (sorry, I could not resist that opportunity!) :-) and finishing the match easily with a +3 while each had a -1. I then disconnected them for good measure rather than leave them together. I just can't let an unsuspecting newcomer fall into their trap; it's my policy.

So yes, owning a group of teamers is top priority, but you develop instincts after playing a while to know when they're going to try to gang up on you. Sometimes I back off and play nice or just goof around, but then other times I'm in the mood to play cheap when they do. All is fair in war and Brawl.
I understand your point. I'm usually a person who taunt teamers want for them to join. I don't though. Sure I won't attack them, but I won't attack the person being teamed on either, unless he starts attacking me. I personally welcome the challenge of 3v1. At one time, I actually got them to turn on eachother. However, I will not EVER resort to their cheap-*** tactics, no matter how bad things get. I try my best and fight them as much as I could. Either way, if it takes 3 players to kill one, then they're just weak.

Darktoon

Smash Journeyman
You guys can just stick to calling them a taunt party or partyists which I know doesnt sound right either but just call the taunt teamers for TB.

Cheap methods arent my way, fight like how you play it or no one gets hurt.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
My reason for naming them "taunt teamers"

You guys can just stick to calling them a taunt party or partyists which I know doesnt sound right either but just call the taunt teamers for TB. [...]
I gave my reason in another thread as to why I refer to them as "taunt teamers." It is to distinguish them from the other types: pacifists, glitchers, spectators, hackers, etc. I am cool with all the others, but just not the teamers who are there only for that reason. Taunters in Team Battle are so rare, that there really isn't a need to call them anything other than TB taunters, or perhaps futile taunters since they cannot possibly win in Team Battle. :-)

In fact, I was just hanging around with some of the taunter types that I like in recent hours. One of them took us to the level 1 target practice, which I've seen online numerous times before. What I haven't seen before was this dark empty stage with no platforms. We just kept falling to our doom, but it was fun to see if we could land some hits or repeated Up+Bs to stay alive. Too bad none of us picked Snake....

Sephy95

Smash Lord
You might as well just call them ****s, excuse my language. Friendly taunters are cool to hang around since they'll back you up. The sad thing is, I don't want back up...

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
The main problem I have with the backup is they ruin combo set ups or chain grabs I do. Or cause me to force put up my shield or dodge just to avoid their attack to be grabbed or hit when my dodge frames are gone.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I hate when they mess up a combo. Here I am, ready to finish my combo which will KO them, then BOOM! I was just hit by a Falcon Punch...

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Throw items at soccer balls will get you somewhere. I threw a capsule at one and it fired off and KO'd a jerk Marth. It was pretty awesome.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Just had a soccer ball party with a bunch of :sonic::sonic: sonics and a zelda (crasher). Got a perfect u-b soccer ball kill.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Isn't this thread supposed to be for destroying Taunt Parties? Not being in one and destroying a crasher? Ah well its all the same I guess.

Top Bottom