• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
WAIT NVM. I forgot. Sorry. disregard that.

Even I don't feel so pressured as P.Trainer against Snake. I just use Charizard and I'm like, "WOO."

T-block

B2B TST
...that's a complicated statement.

Ivysaur can hold her own against Snake but can't do much back to Snake (40:60ish in this situation). If you're looking at Ivy as a character that needs to KO Snake, then it's a pretty bad matchup.

I never said Snake didn't **** Squirtle. He does **** Squirtle.

Limeee

Smash Champion
you don't kill snake.
you have to try and send snake lower down off stage and go for an early gimp kill, or just play it safe and dance around my shield throwing banana's and shiz

Limeee

Smash Champion
dacus shouldn't be a problem with banana's and all, and if you don't, just PS or whatever and get some banana's ready during his lag. you don't HAVE to punish his DACUS.

so use his lag to set **** up

T-block

B2B TST
kay mark can you delete that now lol

i'm hesitant to post this here:

You could try Dastrn's Stage Striking System:
There's 1 stage list.
there are no counterpicks
You strike down from your total stagelist until theres either 3 stages left (5 for championship sets) or 4(6) if you have even number of stages. Then play first game on either the stage highest on the list, or random select from those. Loser picks the next stage from the remaining stages. Same for game 3(4+5).

No more ridiculous swings. MKs can't play on rainbow cruise any more. Diddy can't play on FD anymore. You end up with really good sets on stages that work for both players.

You can either double blind every game for characters, or else let loser pick character after winner like 2d fighters. Personally, I like double blinding each game.
needs some refinement for sure, but it's an interesting idea

kay you can all **** me with words now

KarlR

Smash Cadet
only thing is that it would take awhile to stage strike im guessing

but then it would carry over to next match so it might even out?

im not really sure how double blind works tbh, fighters have good rules with winner picking char then loser.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
hmm

I like stage striking all stages for the first stage better than just striking down to the stages for the whole set

but a plain conservative list is made for the objective of just not having any gay stages in the first place *sigh*

T-block

B2B TST
It'll come, Mark. It'll come.

I'm not sure if I like the system at the moment... I'd have to run through some trial strikes to see where things end up. This nerfs the CP system slightly (makes being a good CPer less important), which isn't exactly what I want to encourage - but there's something to be said about the idea of having all games in the set played on the "most neutral" stages for a given two players.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I like that stage striking idea. I want to at least try it out.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
It'll come, Mark. It'll come.

I'm not sure if I like the system at the moment... I'd have to run through some trial strikes to see where things end up. This nerfs the CP system slightly (makes being a good CPer less important), which isn't exactly what I want to encourage - but there's something to be said about the idea of having all games in the set played on the "most neutral" stages for a given two players.
I don't like this idea, mostly cuz of what mike said, CP's are what make brawl interesting and if matches ended up being on neutrals 99% of the time that would make for a boring tournament

I love the stage list lol. More stages = more of what people play brawl for.
The variety of stages add alot more depth to the game and make it more interesting and challenging. Stage knowledge is something that wins matches and possibly sets too.

T-block

B2B TST
It wouldn't end up on neutrals, but it's end up between neutrals and radicals. Delfino/Castle Siege/Pictochat probably. Characters like MK/GaW would probably be striking neutrals.

T-block

B2B TST
It definitely doesn't take the CP strategy out the door, but it does change how you should think. I think it actually adds a strategic element, but it gives CPing less of an influence on the set.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It eliminates the act of CPing but the actual effect remains. This new system means that not only do you have to strategically strike stages until you get a slightly in favor stage, but also have to keep in mind that the remaining stages are the only stages allowed for play. Striking stages based off of 2nd and 3rd games is pretty similar to traditional CPing except done in a different fashion.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
What this does, is reduce the whole set to the three most neutral stages for those playing, by definition. CP's will get striked, guaranteed, unless they're 'neutral' to both characters. So there won't be any CP 'effect', as all possible counters will have been striked.

Might as well just play every single match on Smashville.

T-block

B2B TST
To be fair, the CP system was introduced in Brawl as a fair way to deal with the idea of variance in stages. It probably wasn't something put in to make Brawl different. I don't think we can say that having a CP "effect" is inherently a good thing... we just use it because we need a way to pick stages. In the end, what we're looking for is a set that is fair, with the person who deserves to win coming out on top. So on that note, if this new system is more "fair", then maybe it's okay that there's no CP "effect".

I'm just thinking to myself lol

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
It definitely doesn't take the CP strategy out the door, but it does change how you should think. I think it actually adds a strategic element, but it gives CPing less of an influence on the set.
I wouldn't say it ADDS a strategic element, more like replaces the strategic element of CP'ing with this new strategic element which is different.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah it's hard to say... I think overall it adds strategy, since you're striking down to a subset of stages before you even play a match. You'd want to strike any stages that ALL of your characters are bad on, while considering who your opponent could possibly play, and which stages he would strike so you can make the most out of your own strikes. With regular CP'ing you only have to think ahead once - what character will he go if I choose this stage? With this, you have to think out the whole set before you even start...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom