• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limeee

Smash Champion
i'm sorry i'm with vic, the money just doesn't feel worth it. its hard to take this game seriously when i just get ***** with every character. it feels like with melee the effort i put in comes out with a positive result, but with brawl, i dunno what the **** i'm doing wrong

regardless, best tourney this year, too much fun
:009:

T-block

B2B TST
I know some people can maintain a competitive drive without monetary incentive, but you can't deny that not everyone can.

I think one thing you're failing to realize here is that we can still have both. We can have these Brawl/Melee free events if there's enough interest, and it looks like there is, and we can still have more serious tournaments. In fact, one thing I would heavily suggest after yesterday is that we continue only doing tournaments every two months. More casual events like yesterday could go in between. There's only an issue when a casual event REPLACES a tournament, which won't happen again, and doesn't have to happen again.

Regardless, I'm glad the majority of people had fun.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
results are up: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291981

Also im not opposed to still hosting tournies even though im not playing anymore, as a dedicated TO i can get tournies to run smoother and i'd be taking it more seriously too, aka ALWAYS entry fees, probably change the ruleset a bit towards 3.1 and update the stagelist slightly

maiko is heading back to calgary jan-aug also so i could keep these monthlies going and they'd become more smoothly run too. Do you guys WANT to keep these monthlies going WITH entry fees?

If you guys wanna keep going we'll most likely have brawl and melee on seperate days. Let me know what you guys want to do.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Victor, quit with the drama. I was in favour of money too.

Smashfests are awesome, BUT tournaments are important too. And that's an important "but". Playing casually is awesome, and smashfests are a lot of fun. But that sure as hell doesn't mean we should stop having tournaments.

I enjoy playing seriously just as much as I enjoy playing casually. It seems that some of the people that don't do well are mad salty, but that doesn't matter. No fee play is great for smashfests, we have informal tournaments all the time (like that one just a bit ago at Dim's place).

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah I guess I'll take this time to formally announce that I'm headed back to Calgary for 8 months this time, so I won't be around. I might try to make it to these once the snow melts, but I won't make any promises right now. I'll still be around the forums to make suggestions, etc., though.

Anyways, we did learn at least two things from yesterday:
-Flyers work
-Flyers needs to say "Bring Your Own Controller"

Limeee

Smash Champion

Smashfests are awesome, BUT tournaments are important too. And that's an important "but". Playing casually is awesome, and smashfests are a lot of fun. But that sure as hell doesn't mean we should stop having tournaments.

I enjoy playing seriously just as much as I enjoy playing casually. It seems that some of the people that don't do well are mad salty, but that doesn't matter. No fee play is great for smashfests, we have informal tournaments all the time (like that one just a bit ago at Dim's place).
thats just an opinion.
you sound like you think your opinion is fact, when it isn't. and there is no drama lol, just people quitting brawl cuz its boring

IMO having both melee and brawl at the same time is awesome, cuz if i'm frustrated with one game, i can switch to the other and dsmash with peach

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0

You're missing the point. A tournament doesn't have to be driven by a cash prize. Rivalries and competitive spirit can drive a tournament just the same. Keith, you're pretty bad at this game and won't place money for a long time and yet you still try don't you?

edit: jamie, I love you and your peach so so so so much. I honestly have no clue how you can successfully dsmash so well cause when I try it and get punished up the butt.

Limeee

Smash Champion
its all about dsmashing when it doesn't work

i might get punished for 20% every time, but since dsmash combos into itself the outcome is in my favour
it also pressures the opponent to not **** up, ever. LOL

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i think people are more afraid to approach you then any other player

I know I am. You even found a way to beat stomp with dsmash. ;_;

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Alberta seriously lacks a competitive drive. Again, you guys need way more hype and interest for your events if you want to draw in more people.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh trust me, the new guys and jamie generated a lot of hype. At least for melee anyways. Jack vs me and ron were really tight as well.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
This is dumb. I saw people drop matches and didn't play them. Why? Because there was no money, and no one gave a ****.

EDIT: Having that room was amazing. There is a decent amount of traffic, so people might check it out. We need more flyers and more advertisement in general. 30 man tournaments here we come!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
why? so many of you guys suck and won't place money under normal circumstances. Why try when there IS a cash prize that is unattainable for you?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No, we don't need hype, that's so ****ing dumb it's ridiculous. How could hype at all improve our attendance? It's not like people from the states, or EC Canada are gonna want to come to our ****ty 18 man tournaments. Our main focus should be all of the people who lurk smashboards who know how to play the game and aren't scrubs. Those are the people who are going to want to play in our tournaments. These are people who don't know how to navigate through smashboards, but know enough to look on youtube and find matches of the pros. Our flyers should somehow be made to attract these people. A general flyer is nice, but I think some brainstorming needs to take place to make a more effective flyer. 4 new guys is pretty sweet, but idk if they're gonna come back. Did anyone get their contact info at all, or refer them to smashboards and our thread?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
For fun bro.

Those new guys I see almost every day in nref and they said they'll come more often, but they're unsure because of the fee. I'll talk to them next time. I told them to check out smashboards.

edit: Melee was so much fun because of the hype.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
No, we don't need hype, that's so ****ing dumb it's ridiculous.
Yes you do, Age and I were both bored to death at RPS. The most exciting thing was you vs myself, only because there were a few people actually interested in watching and there was actually a bit of excitement.

Do you think competitive sports would be as big as they are if people just sat there quietly and watched, while the players politely played? **** no, that'd be boring as hell to watch. You live in Edmonton, go to any Oiler game and tell me the crowd doesn't make everything that much more exciting and awesome.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
There is no media coverage on our events. How does hype among ~20 people generate attendance if no one knows about it. Sure if we get new people hype might help to make them keep coming, but if they really want to play and get better, they'll come back because they really like the game. I really don't care about hype at all, I just like playing.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
in case you never talked to the new guys, they were having a lot of fun and the really load hype generated my melee and jamie(lol) got them pretty excited. Especially vinbon's matches.

do you play golf luke? lol

edit: i see vinbon all the time in nref when I'm there doing work in the afternoon. I'm assuming the other white guys are with him but white people look all the same to me so I never noticed them.

Vinbon also used to have this wild fohawk think which was really characteristic and unique. Also, his eyes.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hype makes things exciting for new players and gives them more reason to enter the scene.

if its just a bunch of nerdy guys in a room quietly playing video games, that's so boring. (ie: brawl monthlies under normal circumstances)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Watch the first two minutes of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvKw9sKs13g
Yes... I don't see what point you're trying to make. Hype comes from new players. When we get new players there will be more excitement. Hype doesn't generate new players, new players generate hype. Get what I am saying? That's why Armada vs mango was so hype. Armada was a new player to all of NA. Watch hbox vs mango and tell me if that's hype.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hbox and mango aren't hype cause it's boring jiggs dittos

watch shiz vs anyone or ss vs anyone and it's hype. those players vs ANYONE is always hype.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
K I'll reword it... Hype happens when people who have never vs'd before vs. Hype occuring when it's between two players who play all the time only happens when: the player who usually loses wins, or if something completely unbelievable happens. If we get new players, and they're relatively good, hype will happen, and they'll stay because the hype generated was based around them.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Yes... I don't see what point you're trying to make. Hype comes from new players. When we get new players there will be more excitement. Hype doesn't generate new players, new players generate hype. Get what I am saying? That's why Armada vs mango was so hype. Armada was a new player to all of NA. Watch hbox vs mango and tell me if that's hype.
Hype comes from new players if they leave a mark. New players won't help for excitement if you guys are all stoics, and they won't stay.

Hype definitely generates new players. Look at how Melee has re-bloomed after Armada vs Mango and Shiz vs M2K.

And the thing with Armada was he was ****ing ****** everyone with PEACH, and yes it was definitely exciting to see a new world-class player, but if the Peach happened to be Vanz or Pink Shinobi destroying M2K and Mango, it would still have been amazing.

God, you need testosterone and some excitement in your life.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
K I'll reword it... Hype happens when people who have never vs'd before vs. Hype occuring when it's between two players who play all the time only happens when: the player who usually loses wins, or if something completely unbelievable happens. If we get new players, and they're relatively good, hype will happen, and they'll stay because the hype generated was based around them.
M2K/Armada has happened three times now and people still want more.

And new players won't get relatively good if they have no reason to get better.

KillLock

Smash Lord
I enjoy the hype between me and lukes matches :)

You're missing the point. A tournament doesn't have to be driven by a cash prize. Rivalries and competitive spirit can drive a tournament just the same. Keith, you're pretty bad at this game and won't place money for a long time and yet you still try don't you?

edit: jamie, I love you and your peach so so so so much. I honestly have no clue how you can successfully dsmash so well cause when I try it and get punished up the butt.
That was really mean, Vic.

Limeee

Smash Champion
I enjoy the hype between me and lukes matches :)

That was really mean, Vic.
it was realllllly blunt, but keith says the same thing about himself, and doesn't care (i say the same thing about myself)

are the twins really picking up melee? if they both mained fox that would be baller

KillLock

Smash Lord
also wtf mike

don't stop playing brawl :(

use a different character to get back into the game?

i've been playing lots of falco lately(marth/snake are getting boring)

the twins seemed interested in melee, they'll have to practice on their tech skill more though :)

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I hope you know that if there's something on the line people will try tons harder than without anything on the line. Having money on the line makes it so there is something on the line and it's something to work towards. Doing this for pride is just bull**** btw, why would I care how I place if there's nothing on the line. I pretty much sandbag every melee event unless there's money on the line or when I'm facing carl.

When I was in bc I tried 110% in my final matches, why you ask? It's because there was something on the line(MONEY DERP). Sure there was pride on the line I suppose, but I wouldn't be going over there in the first place if there was no cash prize. You can't really call this last monthly a tournament if there is no cash turnout.

I won't be coming to these anymore if it's just gonna be a smashfest "tournament". And Victor, don't tye cash earnings into me getting a job or whatever, you're just being disrespectful.

and wut mike, you're quitting brawl?

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
dear both mikes: if white mike is quitting brawl and mike wong is moving to calgary, i'm willing to start hosting these things for you guys, i have a laptop now and if somebody has some recording equipment we can probably get matches recorded and POSSIBLY livestreamed

have you guys thought about putting a $10 entry fee btw? if it's $10 to get in, and then nothing else costs money, people will enter in all the events they can because there's no individual entry fee to each one. and if, say, 20-30 people come to one monthly, that's $200-300, which can then be split into $100-150 for singles and $100-150 for doubles. would that be enough motivation for dan / jack to still come?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I hope you know that if there's something on the line people will try tons harder than without anything on the line. Having money on the line makes it so there is something on the line and it's something to work towards. Doing this for pride is just bull**** btw, why would I care how I place if there's nothing on the line. I pretty much sandbag every melee event unless there's money on the line or when I'm facing carl.
See what I bolded? That's what i'm trying to stress.

And Dan, you're good at these games. Really good. Money gives you incentive because it's attainable for you. As is for Jack and Luke.

Everyone else plays to see how far they get; ie pride, PR status, rivalries etc. Its like you and carl, or david and jarrett, etc. I was harsh pointing out Keith but its true. It's true for the majority of us. For us it doesn't matter if there's money on the line or if there isn't. If you guys don't feel like trying then don't. Personally, I have the most fun when i'm competing for the shear thrill of competing. I try because I want to win and to have fun, not so I can potentially win money.

Look, I'm just saying. It's obvious that the fee and the fact that we host the events on separate days really kills our communities and segregates them almost completely. Seriously. Why not just host a tourney in some person's basement and play for money amongst yourselves. This fee is also what's holding back our "smash club" from going completely public, according to the mikes. If we scrap it, we can make the club more public. Look at all the new people we got yesterday. Its obvious you guys aren't anti-social hermits so I'm really excited about the possibilities of gaining publicity and creating a bigger scene, for both games.

What we had going for the last few years hasn't been working too well for us. Both scenes have only gotten a few new members since these UofA monthlies. We're obviously doing something wrong. This is our chance to open out and gain a lot more interest. Smash is a popular game, and people of all kinds play it. Even looking at our community we see nerds, jocks, people across the social spectrum. Hell, just the other day people were playing smash on the projector system in SUB. As well, being an officially registered club, we could get fundings from the school. I'm pretty sure we'd be entitled to it. At least, things like TV setups and snacks etc like the other clubs.

So. The decision essentially comes down to this. A bigger and intertwined melee and brawl community with newer faces and larger tournaments with potential perks from the school for being a registered club OR we stick with our dozen or so sized events, with 2 segregated communities, giving money away to the same 3 people.

So i'm not arguing anymore. I'm pretty sure this is all I have to say. Take it however way you want, I don't really care. The ultimate decision made by us as a community about this will decide whether or not I'll stay or quit. tbh.

edit: one last thing. If Dan/Luke are gonna QQ about no money, losing the 2 of them is worth gaining the 6 new players. (only 4 of them competed, the 2 other ones came late and just stuck around fyi). That's not even including the many melee players who entered. Our community still has a net growth and the newer outcomes for top placings will be rather interesting.

lilseph

Smash Ace
This thread is getting ridiculous... i just don't even know what to say anymore.

EDIT: "Personally, I have the most fun when i'm competing for the shear thrill of competing. I try because I want to win and to have fun, not so I can potentially win money."
-vic

^THIS X 10000000000000000000

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
dear both mikes: if white mike is quitting brawl and mike wong is moving to calgary, i'm willing to start hosting these things for you guys, i have a laptop now and if somebody has some recording equipment we can probably get matches recorded and POSSIBLY livestreamed
lol u obviously didn't read my post, i said i would still host and tournies would ALWAYS have entry fees from now on plus run more smoothly since i'd only be TO'ing. I agree with dan that entry fees are important for EVERYONE even if you usually don't make money. Also melee and brawl would happen on separate days.

I talked to maiko though and maybe it'd be possible for me to get into the game again if i started playing other ppl besides jamie + keith all the time. Maybe take jack's advice and play a new character too. We'll see. If there's another smashfest sometime i'll try and make it out to that cuz u guys are pretty fun to hang out with and hopefully a smashfest would rekindle my enjoyment of the game. I will still be coming to host tournies though for sure.

also are ppl interested in a december monthly? i know tons of university ppl have finals and then its xmas soon after that. I think having one early january (perhaps jan 8?) would be best. Post here if that works for u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom