• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Tournament Discussion

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You could D-tilt ROB after the Footstool < D-air to force getup to give us time to pick up the gyro again.
yeah thats very true, that would make this legitimate untill about 100% which is when it would start to pop r.o.b up instead. and you could just end the forced getup with an fsmash or something
also, im probably slow but whats DASC? i assume it stands for dash attack sheild cancel but how would i execute it?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
okay so ive said about the cool infinite to a friend, and apparently its also very easy to perform this kind of thing to wario, as he also has a dodgy footstool animation and is a very easy setup due to grab release (although to have a gyro, that might be an impossible setup) i have no idea what youre doing, but try doing it to wario. also try the other general fatties, d3, bowser, dk. might jsut work

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
tell me how to force the get up guys, and i will take this even further.
i tried starting a dtilt lock and i was pretty sure that when i touched the other controller, i was able to roll away whenever the dtilt lock was stopped. it's hard to practice this by myself. ill be at school soon.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
They have to bounce, not trip or something, if you mistime or do it to fast I think they might be able to roll.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well actually, with the dtilt i think it needs a bounce animation (same way a jab lock works) however the sheik boards have something similar that they do with a weak b-air, so you could possibly force getup with a weak fair, im not sure if youll have time to do it though

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
i mean they're definitely bouncing from the dtilt. then again i havent tried it a lot of different ways yet. not until i move back into school

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i mean they're definitely bouncing from the dtilt. then again i havent tried it a lot of different ways yet. not until i move back into school
right, learn how to mvoe the control stick with your toe, or get a parent/sibling to follow your instructions for a minute or so, hopefully they wont mind

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ppl can talk to each other like that in social practically also, this is for tournament discussion. idk its w/e

back to matters at hand, ktar4 is this weekend, ima be there
any other robos goin to any tourneys this weekend?
everyone should come to ktar4

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm going to a Melee tournament this weekend. Nothing Brawl by me until the end of the month. :/

I wish I could go OoS again, but I blew most of my money on SiiS4.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
im going to g6...its a semi big nc tourney. kadaj/biglou/reflex/kismet/elev8/sushiman

should be fun =] imma get #1 for y'all

Bees!

Smash Ace
Good luck Stingers! Not sure when I will be going to another tourney! But I will be practicing until then.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
tell me how to force the get up guys, and i will take this even further.
i tried starting a dtilt lock and i was pretty sure that when i touched the other controller, i was able to roll away whenever the dtilt lock was stopped. it's hard to practice this by myself. ill be at school soon.
To force getup you have to Jab/D-tilt at the beginning of the bounce animation, I think this would be possible by doing two quick D-tilts once you reach the ground.

well actually, with the dtilt i think it needs a bounce animation (same way a jab lock works) however the sheik boards have something similar that they do with a weak b-air, so you could possibly force getup with a weak fair, im not sure if youll have time to do it though
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258738

Heartstring

Smash Legend
how can u infract me for saying wasup to someone?

get a real job
yeah, keep it to the social, the main post does say that this is for tournament discussion mainly. and general character enhancement, but while youre here: how did you get so good? last i checked you were mediocre at best, like miles level XD

also yeah i knew about that thread, which may now need to have an addition for himself -__- thats just a general thing sheik can do to everyone, which is particularly easy to perform on wario so i wondered if this jab lock setup works on him too

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Going to the following tournament in the morning:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291756

There's a 32 man cap, but the TO let a few extras in:
1. AlphaZealot
2. Quivo
3. Moose
4. Z
5. Kiest
6. Mr. Eric
7. Fortenium
8. DrillbitSammy
9. Y.b.M.
10. Enrish
11.Duckman
12. fonzi21
13. Kel
14. Drrrkbunnie
15. FlyingFrenchman
16. SoulPech
17. GuitarMaster081
18. sai90
19. sorasin
20. Luminoth64
21. Shugo
22. SneakyTako
23. KassandraNova
24. KBizzle
25. Mr. E
26. Fizzle_Boy
27. Auspher
28. DJ Scribble
29. Juu
30. MegamanX14
31. Crow!
32. Multicolorshyguy
33. Infern
34. Slimjim
35. MX778
36. jt5565
37. Extra for Dayton

My aim is for top 5. Let's hope for 1st though ^_^
Def have a good pool of players to look out for.
But yeah, I'll tell you guys how it goes when I get back. For now, I best get some rest. I can't play worth beeps when I'm tired. Especially since im the driver xD

Good luck Stingers, Rekros, Sneaky and the rest of your ROB mains fighting for your life this weekend.<3

Bees!

Smash Ace
Good Luck Mr. Eric and Rekros! Rep that ROB you can do it!!!!
In further news if you ever need to discuss the ROB vs PT MU just visit the Video Thread. I gave you guys plenty of reference material XDDD

TeeVee

Smash Lord
mister erics rob on rob trick led to me testing stuff

appearntly rob gets a guranteed footstool after a gyro throw on tall characters like snake and d3(as done in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDJNzTwNTM)

the footstool leads into dair so if they are on stage near the ledge it will spike them (****)
also if you do it when they are at like 40 it leads (doesnt combo but w.e) into stuff like up smash and up air with a good read.

im gonna mplement this into my game alot because it looks sexy as ****

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
mister erics rob on rob trick led to me testing stuff

appearntly rob gets a guranteed footstool after a gyro throw on tall characters like snake and d3(as done in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDJNzTwNTM)

the footstool leads into dair so if they are on stage near the ledge it will spike them (****)
also if you do it when they are at like 40 it leads (doesnt combo but w.e) into stuff like up smash and up air with a good read.

im gonna mplement this into my game alot because it looks sexy as ****

If you fast fall it, I believe it's a guaranteed footstool > dair on most chars if not all.
I think on chars like Olimar, you might have to wait a couple extra frames before inputting the dair or else ROB will just land into the ground and will get nothing but a footstool out of it. Maybe this could lead to a dtilt lock? I'm not sure, I haven't played with it enough.
Also, try playing with footstool to fastfalling bair.
I haven't had much time to work with it since I just now got moved back in and I have a tournament today. But soon!
And I agree, it is super sexy xD
The reason I released the vid so soon was in hopes that you guys could point out a way that we could possibly infinite ROB due to his weird a** footstool animation which causes the attacking rob, if done correctly, to have his dair cancel into the ground and appear right beside of the rob on the ground.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Today was rough, I must say. It is quite late tho, and I don't feel like getting to thorough atm (will after i rest up a bit).
But here is a really tight set to watch and it had a lot of crowd hype, so I played a bit wonky at some bits due to jitters. It's against, in my opinion, our region's best Peach:

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

I rly don't know the Peach MU, so I kind of just played Mister Eric styled ROB to hopefully overwhelm him.
Peach pulled everything she had out of her dress on me tho >.<

tell me whatcha think
<beep3

Sudai

Stuff here
From watching the first vid I can see how much the ROB meta's advanced in the months I've been under a rock gameplay wise. Just wanna say GJ to you and everyone that's inspired your ROB's game play that much. Think y'all might manage to pull him out of C tier.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
eric, that last game, you were so cocky XD taunting while hes still onstage, i loved it XP

i dream of playing r.o.b that well, i jsut need to get wavebouncing down consistently

8Bitman

Smash Master
Mister Eric. After watching all of those videos I realized how good you are. But you are almost TOO flashy with all of the technical moves we have learned with R.O.B.

In some cases it works and in others it doesn't.
Especially against snake. If there is one thing that I have learned from playing my brother over the past few years it would be that you cannt be aggressive when fighting snake. You have to let them be dumb and approach. No matter how good, technical, and aggressive you are it will always come down to snake grabbing you and comboing you out of his Dthrow.

You know a **** load of techniques with R.O.B and we can all vouge for you for that. But you almost try to use it in every situation possible, and in the end alot of combos, gimps, and deaths are started or ended by the basics. I love using R.O.B's Up + B, and I love gyro reversing, but you need to know when to put a limit on those amazing things haha.

I am not criticizing you because you are an amazing R.O.B don't get me wrong, but from watching all of these videos, it appears to me that you haven't developed a comfortable play style for yourself, just one where you use what you think will work because no one else does it and you think other people won't find a way past it.

I can tell you this, even if you were able to glitch or hack or break the game to were R.O.B could stay in the air forever, turn into MK's NADO, or even reach across 90% of FD with his Ftilt, there will always be a way to get past it.

So don't go making your play style just flashing technical moves. Put those into your very own play style, and use them when you feel it's right. You become to easy to read if you just keep using them in the same exact situations, over and over and over again. It shows in your match against that wolf player. You kept reversing the Up + B and you got Bair'd for it.

Trust me I love doing these moves. But you have to know when to, and when not to use them.

For example. When I first mastered the gyro reverse, I would always instantly reverse after I ran off an edge. So at first it was a mindgame to everyone. But then soon they expected me to do it. So I would get punished. So I then turned my mindgame that was turned into a mindgame against me, into a mindgame against my opponent. I would instead run off an edge and Bair so I would catch them attacking me.

It is these instances that then make your opponent feel that they cannot read you anymore and you gain confidence, and they lose some. Psycologically putting you in the lead. ( IDK how to spell it. XD)

I could type for another hour if I pleased to, but then no one would read it. XD

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
@Sudai: Thank you<3 I don't see this playstyle really catching on in America for a while tho =/

@GP: I more-so just did that for the crowd lolz

@8Bit: Hah, believe me, you're nowhere near the first person to tell me to calm it down with being flashy. I'm not always that technical. I do prefer to be. But like I said before, I don't know the Peach MU and this guy is really good for our area, so I took a stab at trying to overwhelm him. In all honesty, with a little more control, I do feel that ROB can consistently play this way and not much can talk me out of that. Because it's a "safe" playstyle that I feel really holds ROB back. Playing safe and zoning properly is very useful, but isn't the only option we have. And I always chose the aggressive route when I played ROB before b-reversals were popular with him. I always wanted to know how to b-reverse but never figured it out until I forced myself how to in training mode after watching OCEAN. I was like "that's what I've been wanting to do! it looks fun!"

And that's a big thing for me; it's fun. It keeps me entertained. When I slow it down, I get bored. I lose focus. And I'm only that flashy in MUs I can get away with it in. For example, I tone it down and play slower against MK. I can't play flashy whatsoever against TL for the most part, etc.

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you. But my main goal, is to push things out of ROB through trial and error. I'm always tweaking my playstyle a little after each tournament. It's going to take time to polish this sort of style, but hey, if it keeps me entertained and my opponent overwhelmed, I'm in xD

Oh yeah, vs Snake...I kind of mix up the offense to defense play. I'm really an in-and-out kind of guy in that MU. I've taken out the Midwests best Snake twice in a row so far. (Is your brother MVD? I saw a set of you and him once) I'm just really trying to be more open with ROB. I'm feeling that we as a whole might have been holding him back all this time.

edit: about the match against Lumi, on any normal day, at least at the skill levels we're both at right now, he wouldn't win. I just got narrowminded during the set. I relaxed after having a **** game 1. And then I couldn't gather the momentum I once had. So I'm never letting that happen again. Always going hard. All the time.

UGH I CAN'T SLEEP
I'm glad robots don't need sleep.

8Bitman

Smash Master
No but my brother beats MVD in snake dittos 100% of the time. XD

My brothers name on here is bunnyma.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same with R.O.B, I love fighting up close, and hate it when I have to camp. No skill except pressing B really fast.. >_>

I love being technical with him, but the only reason I am saying this is because my older brothers are always better than me at every game we play. And everytime I learn something new, or try something out they read me on it. I try and try but no matter what I do they almost always win.

I swear IMO the Snake and R.O.B MU, and the Olimar and R.O.B MU is Unwinnable for R.O.B if they at least know how to pick up a damn comtroller. The only times I ever win is if I gimp them at least twice. Even then they have come back and "3 stocked" me when they were at 1 stock and I was at 3. JUST BECAUSE THEY USED SNAKE. And Olimar is just unfair with all of his damn pikmin and 0% - 90% combos..

I love love love love love playing up close and doing all that technical shnit but in the end it can only get you soo far if you don't know what to do in specific situations, which why mastering a technique, and making it 2nd nature to you is a must for R.O.B. Because it is us who will make R.O.B come out on top because no one plays him, and no one has enough MU experience with him.

AND THIS IS WHY I LOVE AND ADORE R.O.B, AND THIS IS THE REASON I MAIN HIM! EVERY OTHER DAY A NEW A.T COMES INTO PLAY!!! =D

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hmm. Olimar does outcamp us. I know that much. I still haven't mastered the MU and I wish I got to play more with Logic since he's the only Olimar to ever really trouble me. I definitely don't think it's unwinnable tho, never think that! That's what we've done with MK for forever. And all it does is discourage yourself and others xD<3

Snake is definitely a char you want to gimp + he's fun to gimp. And if you're not gimping him, at least "shadow" the zone where he will land, because he doesn't have a lot of options in this situation. So this is where you can really capitalize on damage.

Just because something isn't working tho, don't leave it behind. Hand on to each and every little thing. It's why I have the "Bag of Tricks" thread up, because I feel that all of these techniques can be useful. And it might be one little thing you're lacking when trying to execute the technique that could be the problem, or a number of other things. We just need to take a step back and go "hmm, this seems like it can work, but it's failing everytime i bring it out. what to do, what to do?" I would recommend patience for the most part. Even as fast and chaotic as I play, none of that came to me without patience. Whether you can virtually see it in a match by slowing things down, or if you just never give up on your robot when the odds seem against you.

8Bitman

Smash Master
When ever I am losing either horridly or just losing in a match I always just stop moving, and see what my opponent will do. I don't feel like I have lost yet but like I am going to make a come back. I never "Give up" But there are times where I am not playing as hard as I would like to be.

I sometimes just walk up to or run up to my opponent and most of the time they will shield and/or spot dodge. So I try and phuck with their head.

I usually play aggressively but I have a sense of holding back most of the time, just incase I do mess up a move I have a way out, instead of just making my options minimal.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

Heartstring

Smash Legend

TeeVee

Smash Lord
with no lgl, the snake matchup is almost impossible if they know what they are doing vs rob

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Me vs Shadow is uploading now

I have matches 2 and 3 vs Blacka saved and will prob record them tomorrow

Keitaro will put up me vs Cheese when he does the other vids, he has those

I don't think me vs Vinnie was saved, was really close. He's been saying for months now if we meet in tourney he would go ROB (he typically does better vs me as ROB than GaW) so he went ROB game 1 and I won, then he went GaW matches 2 and 3 and won both, last stock last hit :/
If I woulda won that I would have made money!

I also ***** in doubles with Dabuz getting 5th losing to ADHD and Fatal twice, and beat SSR/Cloudfox, JTails/Bara, Will/Kirin, Doom/Snakeee, and Takeover/Logic

Edit: Video vs Shadow is up, HD version coming when Keitaro makes it

[yt]zRBxmeV69kU[/yt]

Top Bottom