• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Tournament Discussion

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Good stuff guys =]

SiiS4 seemed to be a bit more challenging than it had to be for me.
Pulling in around 110 participants with members of the East Coast and Ally&M2K coming in, I didn't know how well I'd do.
People were saying that I had the hardest pool considering that there wasn't like that one super good person, but a pool of people who all had the potential to make it out.
People who had a good chance of making it out was: Shugo, Sago, me, Tyr and DLA and only top 3 out of the 7ish in each pool would make it to bracket. I had to capitalize on a first game loss against DLA due to an SD vs his MK, but I fortunately brought it back in games 2 and 3. Tyr (Midwest's best Lucas main) also took game 1, but I pulled it together and slowly learned the MU since I never get to play it. That's a main thing about tournament play, you really have to adapt, and sometimes, people just overwhelm you at first.
But Sneakytako can even attest that having a bad stock or game isn't the end of the world as he brought it back against Cook to pull off a 2nd seed in his pool right behind M2K (so virtually, Sneaky got a first seed xD).
Anywho, I got 2stocked by Shugo's Falco both games. He's so good. I want to play him more. This was my first time playing a Falco of that caliber in a serious game. Me and Sago went to game 3 and he was a bit shaken at how technical my ROB played. Unfortunately, I copped an early death against his glide attack near the top of the stage.

With a 3rd seed, my first rd match was against Fizzle, a D3/MK main who usually places top 3 - 5 in most Midwest tournaments and happened to take out Shugo later in the bracket. First game against his D3 was on PS1. I camped all of the bad transformations that could get me wall locked and always kept my back towards the shorter end of the stage so that if I do get grabbed, it wouldn't be for a lot of damage.
Winning game 1, he counterpicked me to Pictochat. When it came down to last stock, it was anyone's game...and I really thought I had him. But I poorly DI'd his up-tilt at like 110 while I baired him at like 130 on the edge of the stage...His killed, mine didn't. Game 3 he went MK when I cp'd him to Halberd. Even tho this is a good D3 stage, Fizzle doesn't like it ( I could tell because he struck it first during the stage striking process). This boiled down to last hit, last stock. I wish I had won because I feel like I would have stood a good chance vs King Toon, but oh well, it happens. I felt accomplished during the set.

Unfortunately, my first round of Loser's, I had to fight Sago again, and by this point I was mentally drained since brackets didn't start till after 10pm I think. The style of ROB I play requires a lot of focus and it can tire you out. And it showed vs Sago. He 2-0'd me this time, both were last stock I think but he had a considerable lead.

No Johns tho, despite the hard pool (which I would have traded with anyone lol) and bracket, I still felt that I showed off some ROB potential and I feel like a learned a few things if I can recollect them.

One thing I learned was that if on a platform and MK is about to glide attack you...if you're on the edge of the platform and you shield the attack which will push you off the platform, you can quickly insert an upair while falling you receive some free damage.

The ride back home was hell lol. My car was overheating and I didn't know exactly what was wrong with it. So it was scary driving 3 hrs with a smoky car at 5am (the tournament ran stupid late). I'm super tired.

Sleep is very important for tournaments. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some fun the night before just to make sure you get well rested.

Sneaky, good stuff beating Cook.
SiL, way to rep ROB vs Xzax (sp?)

We need to show people that ROB is no joke<3

To the rest of the ROBs keep your head up. You don't get success until you've put a lot of hard work in. Some characters moreso than others. It really boils down to how much you want it and whether or not you're willing to take a step back and find out what you're doing wrong and how to improve it. No great player has an easy road. Not even MK mains xD

I'm ready to prepare to rep it at Pound5. Going to start putting mad work on this robot. We have to work together tho<3

Sorry for being super thorough, I feel like it might be helpful or interesting tho to those who don't get to travel as often.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
unlucky with your games eric, it sounds like you got a poor draw in pools and bracket
although just looknig at it, does that mean kingofthetoons outplaced you?
dude, just goes to show that placement isnt really accurate outside the top 8 or so, unless he's improved a ton recently anyway...

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yeah. KT is beast. But i feel I would have faired better against him than an MK at that pt.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oh fair enough, kudos to him for improving then, also i would take a toon link over mk any day, its just easier to fight, so yeah...

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Found a new technique today. Vid tonight. it involes DASC'ing

TeeVee

Smash Lord
mannnnnn t0mmy is making me want to use rob again, i wish my regions snakes wernt so good vs rob

TeeVee

Smash Lord
won a tourny yesterday beating jem, nerd, and whoever else he had to beat to get there (either eggz, bladewise, or some other top WA player)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
good shiz. =D
yeah, he's beaten Jem before.
I don't know a whole lot about WA smashers besides people like 2busy and bojangles that i met at MLG.
rob really can beat MK, people just need to step up to him and not back down after taking a beating.

---------

working on the dasc vid
Lol! I'm sorry for getting any hopes up, but my find isn't new and is actually in the original DASC vid itself. I suppose where the vid is so long that I got bored with it or just missed one of ROB's setups. It was the footstool to spike trick that is shown in the original vid.

lolz

Zwarm

Smash Hero
ROB makes me a sad panda. I can never do well with him when I want to, but when I stop caring, I feel so much more confident with him. I wish I couldn't care all the time so I could actually win stuff.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Interesting reads, actually. I really want to go to an offline-tournament now. =/
Golden-psyco, thank you for the tip, I should check that now and then.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
weird, cause i have to concentrate REALLY hard to play r.o.b right, i can play right when im fighting a cpu for training, but as soon as someone else is holding the controller, i start bricking it and my game ends up turning into dsmashdsmashdsmashspamspamspamspam.
also, im going to host a tournament, just got to get the venue sorted
funfacts, thus far, the only people to ever host in the uk for brawl have always been r.o.b users (and at this rate, will continue to be)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
wtf rob

You're not even that good.
One day I'm going to visit Colorado so that me and Bees can have ROB dittos Grand Finals.
We'll probably just ROB huggle the full 8 min tho xD

Seriously tho, he's better than he's made out to be. People just need to stand up for him and not let bad performances get them down.

ROB makes me a sad panda. I can never do well with him when I want to, but when I stop caring, I feel so much more confident with him. I wish I couldn't care all the time so I could actually win stuff.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273746

You could try that.

A big problem that I think even the best ROBs have is that they get into situations where they feel like they've got s**t down but then after all that practice and consistent performances, they get ***** somewhere along the line.
I won't lie to anyone, ROB is a very difficult character to "endgame" with. Most of that is our fault imo. We've made it the norm that ROB is a camper. Really...I don't even see how. He looks so slow and avoidable haha. But yeah, I feel like our old one-dimensional thought process really got overused and now people are over that stage of having problems with spam and spotdodge > dsmash.

Not saying that it's a bad thing to camp, but yeah I do feel that ROB needs more options.
Haters will prob say that he has none, but that's where we have to work our bootyz off to prove them wrong.

The best advice that I can give is to try and stop caring how you, yourself is doing. Remember, almost everytime that someone comes up to me and are upset with ROB, I always point to my brain because the majority of the time, we beat ourselves in our own head. I promise you Zwarm, if you can get over this sad panda hurdle, playing ROB will feel so fun again. And you already impressed the beep out of me pulling off stuff that I, the supposedly crazy ROB, have trouble doing.

Hit me up on AIM if you ever want to talk one-on-one. I'm usually available.

Don't stop beepin.
<3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that again, stopping ROB for a little bit and playing someone else. It helped me improve back when I switched mains to Dedede for a month or so, and my first tournament back as ROB I did pretty well. So yeah, I was thinking of working on my Peach and Lucario some more, maybe bring back Dedede since I feel I did pretty good against Logic's MK with him in our MM.

Thanks Eric, it means a lot to hear that my ROB impressed you, especially since watching your ROB at ISA is what made me come back to him after dropping him for a while.

stingers

Smash Obsessed

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Subscribing to the thread.

And I'll get back into the groove of things around May probably.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Yeah, Falcos are really rough. I had to play Nerd in upper finals last weekend and he switched from MK to Falco against me because it was clear I had that MU down. The first round with Falco he 2-stocked me. So next round he stuck with Falco but I started remembering the MU (it's been a while since I've played a Falco) and ended up 2-stocking him. In grand finals he stuck with MK.
Just remember: D-Smash his on-stage Phantasm (usually comes after laser spam) , and B-Air the Phantasm when he uses it for recovery onto the stage. Perfect Shield his lasers and use your D-Tilt at lower % to build damage and F-Tilt at higher % to force him off stage.
Keeping those basics in mind will make the MU a lot easier to deal with.

Also, about that DASC trick, that's how I found the anti-plank strategy. Whenever a player would hit someone's Shield like that there was a possibility they'd tumble off the side. So I looked at what I could do and found the Footstool > D-Air followup as well as the anti-plank strat.
In case you haven't seen my post on AiB, it involves a Dashing Perfect Shield against MK's U-air, which sends you to the edge-hog position, which sets you up for a F-Air stage spike or force him above you for U-Air damage build.

PS: Congrats Eric, Sneaky, and Sil, you guys rock!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Falcos are hella rough, I was fighting xzax and needed to win to get 3rd in our pool and progress into bracket. I had a half stock lead game two and dropped it. Then I forgot how to abuse my own CP and he held the lead for most the 3rd game, I felt pretty dumb afterwards. Also I had no Idea there was not LGL that tourney, and I was counting mine the whole set, lol WTF?

besides that lost to MK (Kel) and Snake (Kenny). Fought a really good Fox though, so I got to figure out that MU in game.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
after playing on picto/brinstar/ps2 alot more -

take anyone without a projectile to pictochat. you will time them out. you dont need the ledge.

lazer/gyro camp until the other person gets close, once they do fly around at the top of the stage to stall until the transformation happens. if it happens to be a wall transformation (where it doesnt actually deal damage just makes an obstacle like the whale transformation) camp one side (shoot a gyro at the wall and pick it up, keep throwing it up and up airing when people try to come down to you)

if it happens to be a damaging transformation (plant in the middle, spikes on the sides, etc), congrats, you just bypassed robs biggest weakness (landing a kill move).

plant in the middle kills mk around 90
if you grab mk at like 60 - 70 on the spike part its a guaranteed spikes - upsmash

tl;dr camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp until the plant/spikes transformation. play as gay as possible, go for the timeout. GO FOR THE TIMEOUT.

also after playing on brinstar i like it more. shark on the left side with up air, shark on the right side with nair (it will hit the bubbles and your nair literally stays out for about 6 seconds LOL). jab the stringy things on the side to reset your moves OR when people are getting up from the ledge charge your f smash, the stringy things extend the hitbox by ALOT and actually make it a good kill move. break the bubbles as soon as they pop up and continue to camp. this makes it so mks ground is completley gone and he has to approach in the air every time. with means glide (lazer him), nado (lazer him), dair camp - nado (run off the stage, grab the ledge and punish accordingly) just MAKE SURE you break the bubbles as quick as you can on this stage and you should be fine.

ps2 - im not really a fan of the stage but on the air part OMFG OMFG OMFG so ****. you can link together about 4 nairs ina row by hitting them then chasing with up b into another nair. also on the ice part you can do sliding upsmashes which is pretty ****

this wasnt really a "guide" or anything just my thoughts on these stages. i REALLY like pictochat though

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about implementing DASC from a dtlit lock, push them all the way to the edge, let them shield the dash attack and dair them. I'll tell you guys if I get any success lol.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
@t0mmy, thanks for the dsmashing the phantasm trick <3

@ Teevee, I love Pictochat too.
Mostly because of how big the stage is. It allows me to reset my offense on the stage instead of retreating to the ledge where I believe isn't that good of a place for ROB.

@ Bees, =] <3

@ Sneaky, wonderful idea!

@Everyone else, I think ROB might have an infinite on someone... =x

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
get on aim or msn and ill tell you about it.

ill release more on this when it isnt as premature

Bees!

Smash Ace
My friend has the Grand Finals. I think he will get them up whenever. although some of it is not that impressive. I think in the second set Timotee was getting tired (we already went through an entire tourney and that was the 3rd set we did for the whole tourney) and he didn't put up as much of a fight. I will see if the TO can upload it still. there were some good stuff done.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I've been thinking about implementing DASC from a dtlit lock, push them all the way to the edge, let them shield the dash attack and dair them. I'll tell you guys if I get any success lol.
That's a great setup. I want to LOL just thinking of it working as a mindgame. I'm gonna try it.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
well, sometimes i grab the top, sometimes i dont.
ill figure something out. im trying to turn this into some sort of an infinite. dtilt locks are very possible tho.

Sudai

Stuff here
We'd need the top to be infinite to turn this into an infinite I think. Depending on how much charge the gyro has though, you could just repeat that a bunch and go into a DTilt lock.

Top Bottom